Fortune86

Please Close

((Well I think your post is fine as it is but as promised I've tried to speed things up a little and by now they (+ Rolo) have returned to Avalon, so if you want to you can go and find them in the infirmary.))

((@Kyoko: If Arriyen is in Avalon then where are they? Avalon is a large fortress, not just one room smile.gif))

"I'm sorry" said Helios sadly. "But they can not. The medical pods have their limits. Once someone has passed, they are gone."

He looked over to the covered body on the other table. So her name was Forge?

"She was your friend?" he asked turning back to Rolo. "I am very sorry."

Rolo nodded, his face tight. "We are supposed to think of all the mutants in the brotherhood as our siblings, but she was the closest I had to a real big sister."

And wasn't that pathetic? Forge had been a great girl, curageous, funny, friendly and she always had had time for him. But she wasn't anything like his real sister Nunally. Nunally would never have manipulated him to follow her into danger. Of course if she had been Nunally he doubted he'd have been able to murder her either. Not even for Geso.

"Isn't it strange? So much power, yet none of us seems to be able to cheat death."

Helios remained silent. Rolo's words held more truth than he might have thought. Helios could fix, improve, or build anything mechanical laid before him, but nothing alive. His skills stopped there.

"Nicolas? Can you help Rolo to the medical pod please?"

He crossed the room and touched the interface for the nearest pod. The top half of the ribcage like structure spilt down the center and the bars slid down the sides. The inside was large enough to accommodate a person of six foot in height, more than enough room for Rolo.

"If it only as to heal your heart than the process should not take long" he explained. "About five minutes or so."

ON:

By the time Elizabeth had darted through the slowly-filling school building and escaped through an exit on the opposite side of the building it appeared as if the excitement was over. Up above she could see the strange robot being towed away by it's aerial support, while Helios and his companions had disappeared - mostly likely teleported away to Avalon. From inside the school the continued sounds of whimpering, fearful humans could be heard, but those sounds meant nothing to Elizabeth as she took a moment to readjust her worn backpack and head for the perimeter of the school at a low run. She wouldn't be missed by anyone, just another face in the crowd, and she didn't want to be around when police and ambulance crews arrived. She had survived more than a decade by not being seen or heard by society, and she wasn't about to start.

Reaching the fence at the edge of the school Elizabeth scaled it in a matter of moments, sure and practiced hands making short work of it before dropping to the street on the other side. A quick dash and she was safe in an unseen alleyway, and a couple of minutes later she was just another pedestrian in a surge of people going about their daily lives.

OFF

- Post by Quickstep

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ON:

Kez may not have had the Wolverine's experience, but he was still younger (physically and actually) and had spent years developing the stamina of a long-distance runner; his own breathing was still well-controlled and pulse slightly elevated. Deciding to keep to human-form a little longer as it would be lighter to run in he simply nodded at Logan's suggestion, a smile curling his lips and a glint in his eyes that all hunters shared before the thrill of a chase.

OFF

- Post by Tyger

Nicolas stood in silence still with glass in still as he listened while they spoke. He wasn’t sure if he should trust this guy but it was of course up to Helios. He placed the glass down on a table next to Rolo when he turned around and returned to the sink, waiting for orders.

It wasn’t five minutes later Helios asked if could help to put Rolo in one of the pods. Without hesitation Nicolas approached the young man, picking him up like he was carrying some precious cargo and moved him to the pod Helios picked.

((No idea what to write for Rolo except - he lay in the pod and was healed, so I'll do a Geso post))

Mina sat in her office, door closed tightly. She had left strict orders that she was not to be disturbed.

Rolo and her were in a Webconference with Senataor Kelly. The boy looked rather palefaced.

The Senator was currently talking himself into a rant.

"... Do you have any idea how many problems this debacle could cause? And shall I tell you whose fault this it, young man?"

"That would be you, Senator Kelly." Mina replied calmly.

"What?!?" The senator was speechless for a moment.

Rolo gave her a surprised look.

Mina wouldn't say she really liked Rolo, but she did not hate the boy either, felt in fact a bit sorry for him and that meant right now she was the only one who was willing to defend him.

Mina leaned back. "One of the perils of being in charge, I fear. You were the one who gave Rolo command of this mission. Either your advisors were right and Rolo is not mature enough to lead such a mission in which case you should have listened to them and put someone else in charge from the beginning or he is, in which case I can only conclude that the mission turned into a debacle because you called him off half-way through. Why did you do that by the way?"

She crossed her arms over her breasts.

Instead of flying into a rage Senator Kelly actually looked thoughtful.

"The risks that something would go irreparably wrong were too high. As things stand at the moment I can still claim it was an unprovoked mutant attack and garner sympathy to my cause. I can also point out that the "private" task force that decided to solve this problem is a sign that the people feel the gouverment does not do enough to keep them save from these monsters."

"So it isn't really a debacle."

Senator Kelly gave her a stern look. Then his face softened. "Maybe not."

He looked at Rolo "I'll have your robot repaired, but you won't be playing with it for a while. I'll give Team XG for a while into someone elses hands for the time being. I have a different job for you."

Rolo nodded relieved. "Whatever you wish Senator."

Edited by Laura-Lana

((@Kyoko: If Arriyen is in Avalon then where are they? Avalon is a large fortress, not just one room smile.gif))

((Um, I guess he can be in the infermery helping out so I can meet up with everyone. Sorry, I forgot about saying what room he was in. >.<))

Logan smirked slightly as Kez agreed to the activity. A hunt was always good entertainment. Far better than lazing about on the couch and watching TV all day like a slob. He set off at a jog again, nose twitching and eyes darting about the place. Eventually he could make out three small shapes in the distance - one white, two brown. Their movements and details to their forms were quite clear to Wolverine's enhanced gaze. The white one was smaller than the other two, and by another good sniff, he could tell it to be female. His claws slid out as he came to a stop, a metallic cling ringing out as he did so. He was just a little way away, partly concealed by a bush. They froze, looking up at the sound, but then continued on nibbling. He didn't bother to ask whether the other man was ready. He didn't care if he wasn't. Suddenly shooting forward, he sprinted toward then. They had turned tail and already were dashing off. No matter. It was his usual technique for hunting; get as close as possible and then dash for his prey. His step was not as quiet as desired, as he had learned years ago. This method worked better.

When Nicolas laid Rolo into the pod Helios touched the interface pad again and the bars slid back up into their original posistion. The medical pod automatically sensed a patient and started up the healing process. The greenish bars began to glow very faintly and Helios knew that they would be manipulating Rolo's body into an advanced recovery rate. After four and a half minutes the glow faded and the top bars slid back to allow Rolo to climb out.

"How are you feeling?" asked Helios.

Unsure Rolo streached himself first and when that gave him no trouble he stood.

"I am feeling good." he said. "In fact I had not realized how bad I have been feeling until now. There is no pain at all."

He walked to the bed and sat down.

"Helios." He said. "I've been wondering. You said you and your friends did not want to join the brotherhood. But why?"

He motioned toward his surroundings.

"This is a room for more than one person. You aren't a loner. Neither is your friend. Why not join up with us?"

"Because we do not agree with the Brotherhood doctrine" said Helios simply. "The Brotherhood teaches that Mutants are superior to humans and that their lives are worthless compared to ours. In Nameless we believe that we are equal and look forward to a day when we can co-exist."

Helios placed a hand over his chest as he spoke. It was an unconscious movement he always made when he spoke from the heart.

"I know that many humans hate and fear us, and I do not blame them. We are frightening and dangerous. And we hate and fear them in turn. I hope for the day when we can all push past that fear and live in a society of true equality and acceptance."

Rolo considered arguing the case, but he had to admit that in his heart of hearts he was nursing some doubts about that same doctrine too, so he did not feel as if he could rightfully represent the brotherhood in this case. It did not mean he was prepared to agree with Helios either.

"So why not join the X-Men then?" he asked instead "Peaceful coexistence and all that, isn't that what they say they want too?"

He looked at the blue eyed man, who still had not been introduced to him. But hadn't Helios used his name earlier. Nicolas.

"And what about you, Mr. Nicolas?"

"Because while I believe in co-existence I do not believe in lying down and letting humans kick our heads to wait for their anger to pass" said Helios. "I only ask that my followers do not kill another person, not that they do not defend themselves or fight against those who would hurt them."

When Rolo asked Nicolas his opinion he turned to look at his friend. He already knew how he would answer.

"They do that?" Rolo asked surprised. He hadn't had really studied the other mutant fraction so far. He had good reasons for that or at least what he thought were good reasons.

"I thought they'd fight back if they were attacked too."

He bit his lips and tilted his head as he looked at Nicolas.

"Sorry. I did not want to interrupt you."

“No matter.” Nicolas spoke in a smooth voice as he stood on the side. He never really interfered with these matters; it wasn’t for him to do so. He was loyal to his job and the needs of Avalon otherwise why was he really there.

“Humans and mutants are more alike than one would think. Of course there is power business but still we are all alike. Mutants are born from humans. Humans are born from mutants. We are all equal, therefor my reason’s for joining the Nameless is the same as young Helios here.”

"And what are you guys doing while you are hoping everyone will magically arrive at the same conclusion? In case you haven't noticed but those guys weren't there make friends and win influence.

They weren't there because of Forge and me either. We saw the first two land and they were clearly interested in something in this school. My guess would be that it was one of you. Or both."

Edited by Laura-Lana

"I fear that they were after me" said Helios sadly. "I was under the impression that I was not well known outside of Nameless and was planning on attending the meet Kelly was holding at a nearby school. I wanted to know what arguements they were using to incite fear of our kind. Unfortunately I was grieviously mistaken."

He looked across the room at the body of Forge. It had been wrong of him to assume that he could sneak into the school unnoticed. Someone must have seen him at an earlier rally and done some research. While Helios had tried to lie low ever since that incident eight years ago, he had made a few mistakes. It would not have been too hard to find out about him.

Helios turned back to Rolo.

"I am not just hoping that humans will 'magically' one day accept us. I know they will. Humans have a long history of hating and fearing those who are different because of their gender, race, religion or sexuality. In time they have gradually started to realise that they are just like them in all the ways that matter. We just have to wait our turn."

"Who said I was just talking about the humans? Besides we are not the same in all ways that matter. You just said it yourself. Humans have a point when they fear us because most of us are more dangerous than non Mutants. Have you seen what Forge did to that man? That ablity would always make her a danger. And humans do their best to eliminate dangers."

"My apologies" said Helios. "I sometimes use 'humans' to refer to all of us, mutant or not. I did not mean to confuse you."

"Even non-mutants are dangerous" he added. "Most people don't realise it but whether or not you are a mutant you can still be a threat. We all have weapons built in, but we tend not to think of them as so."

He gestured to himself.

"Look at me. I am small, thin and weak for my age. I have to use telekinisis to lift heavy objects because I do not possess the strength to do so naturally. If someone wanted to kill me they would not have to use a gun or a knife or mutant abilities. They could kill me with their hands. They could strangle me to death. Hit me over the head. Inflict a blow over my heart strong enough to stop it. The question is not whether someone possesses the ability to kill another, but the will. It is in our values where we will find common ground. And that is what matters."

Rolo was silent for a while, then he said.

"That's rather shaky ground. Not even your and my values are the same. I'd wager you would have been able to kill some of those idiots who came against you, but you refrained from it, didn't you? I don't value life that high. Human or otherwise."

He gave Helios a loopsided smile.

"But on the bright side, maybe you'll get your peace once the brotherhood has spilled the blood of Kelly and all the idiots who think like him. You are probably right. You just need to lean back and stay out of our way long enough. I don't blame you."

He looked over at Forge.

"It's a hard thing to see one of your family die."

ON:

It was often found that those who had the ability to change their shape or shift from one form to another had an astonishing level of hand-eye coordination and proprioception, something that had been the focus of both consensual and enforced research as to whether it was just a standard genetic enhancement that came with those abilities, or if it was a learned skill. Time and again it had been demonstrated that there was a non-genetic reason as to why the more experience a shifter or changer was, the better their manual dexterity; when one spent their life having to go from two legs to four to wings to fins and back again, sometimes in a short space of time, one needed to develop an accurate sense of where one's body was!

It was through his long experience of shifting forms that meant Kez could in one instant be a human, running softly along the grass as he approached the rabbits from downwind, having moved away from Logan so that they were able to better flank their quarry and respectively be less of a target; the next he was a streak of white fur as he sprinted forward towards the smaller creatures, all claws and muscle as he pounded across the grass. It didn't take long for him to build up speed, moving far faster than his team-mate could hope to as he headed towards the two rabbits that had moved off perpendicular to Logan's approach and right into Kez's line of attack.

The first rabbit was reached in moments, and Kez simply took a swipe with his forepaw at it, enough to stun and daze the creature at the very least as it tumbled to one side. The second one was ahead and gaining speed, and it was that very creature Kez continued to chase now that it provided the more interesting of the two targets.

OFF

- Post by Tyger

Edited by Kestra15

Logan was catching up to the brown one, stride as long as he could allow it to be while still moving quickly. He dimly noticed that one frantic heartbeat had slowed slightly, and realised that either Kez had knocked it out or it had gotten away. Most probably the former. A flash of white came up at the corner of his eye, and he growled, "The brown one is mine." His prey. His. He extended his steps further, quickened them as much as he could, and found himself drawin nearer. With a roar merely because he felt like it, Wolverine launched himself at the small body. The other could be left to Kez. His adamantium claws drove deep into the body, and blood sprayed out onto the grass as t violently twisted around in vain to try to escape, and then spasmed. Claws to the head caused it to lie limp. A mere, bloody, bundle of fur beneath him. Resisting the urge to pick it up in his teeth, he slid his tools away for later us and picked up the mangled body with one hand as he rose. Maybe he'd cook it, however ragged and torn the meat would be. Although really, the hunting had been more for the fun of it.

((I've moved my last post to the OOC thread. I'd still like very much to know if the rest of you (especially Fortune and anyone who plays one of the X-men) is okay with it))

Helios smiled wryly. Rolos claimed he did not value the lives of others very high, but he expressed sorrow for one of his fallen comrades. Grieving for people you had cared about was a sign that you had a heart and that there were things you valued. He did not press the issue though, as he knew that Rolo would not be dissuaded from his beliefs easily.

"I fear we have gotten somewhat off track" he said. "You said that your brother would kill you if he knew you were alive. Is it because you are a mutant?"

While it pained Helios to know that brothers could so easily be made enemies, Rolo's powers might not be the cause for their animosity. It was entirely plausible that there might be another reason.