Ponystar17

"Unfortunately, you are not quick enough"

Would you like to see this happen?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that it would be nice if the "Unfortunately, you are not quick enough, and someone else snatches the [egg/hatchling] before you can get to it" message appeared whenever someone navigates to the page for an egg or hatchling that was on the AP less than 5 seconds ago, as this message nearly never shows up for me - as I've experienced it, it only seems to happen when two people click an egg within a millisecond of each other or something equally unlikely.

If this message actually has a purpose beyond being additional flavor text or my suggestion would cause DC to lag a lot, please feel free to lock this thread with or without warning, as I don't really know what I'm getting into.

Pros:

Additional RP value - it's actually realistic to be unable to reach an egg within 5 seconds.

The message as a whole is less confusing.

Cons:

Harder to tell how close you were to grabbing an egg in the AP.

If any of this is ambiguous or typo'd, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Edited by Ponystar17

I'm neutral on this one, as it doesn't really bother me. Of course, getting the "not quick enough" message is kind of positive feedback, letting you know that you were really close.

I'm neutral on this one, as it doesn't really bother me. Of course, getting the "not quick enough" message is kind of positive feedback, letting you know that you were really close.

This. I don't see a pressing need, and it's nice to know you were nearly fast enough.

Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I'm probably less sympathetic than I should be with people being cheered up by knowing they almost got eggs, but I think that it still might be helpful if the timeslot for getting the message was widened at least a little.

And yes, I agree that there is no pressing need for this. As the subtitle says, it's really not urgent.

I agree. I like it how it is now and I wouldn't want to see it changed, because it lets me know that I was close to getting the egg. If it's something like holly hunting in the AP where the majority of the time, you don't even come close, it can actually be really encouraging knowing that you were almost there and it motivates you to keep on trying. Or at least, that's my experience. happy.gif

So I don't really want to see it widened. I think it serves the purpose it's for already. It would have less meaning to me personally if it was easier to get that message. It's nice knowing you were almost there. smile.gif

Edited by StormWizard212

Unless you get some kind of trophy after a hundred of these, it just becomes an annoyance.

I was always of the belief that you got this message if you and another person clicked on it practically simultaneously so that the server had to "flip a coin" to see who got it. Whether that's the case or not, I'd like to keep it as is. I find the message pretty gratifying and see no need to change it. c:

Edited by Chanilove

I was always of the belief that you got this message if you and another person clicked on it practically simultaneously so that the server had to "flip a coin" to see who got it. Whether that's the case or not, I'd like to keep it as is. I find the message pretty gratifying and see no need to change it. c:

"flip a coin" I have no luck at all. lol.

I've gotten this a few times. I don't see much difference between this and the "you cannot find the egg/hatchling in the Abandoned Page" message. But this thread helped me clear it up (if it was true).

I find it to be a standard thing, really. No need to alter it, imo. o.o;

As other people are saying, the mental impact it has on some people is also good - when I see that message, my first initial thought is "aww, so close!" which is better than what it could be.

I don't really see a need to change, sorry.

Couldn't really figure out how "No, I don't think this is necessary." and "No, I like to know how close I was to grabbing an egg in the AP." are supposed to be different. I clicked on the last one. This falls under the catagory of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. wink.gif

Of course, getting the "not quick enough" message is kind of positive feedback, letting you know that you were really close.

This, basically. To me, this particular message means "omg you were *so* close!!". Extending the timeframe that you'd get this message would take away from that meaning.