RavenWolf1010

Naming egg action

Do you think this should be taken up with TJ?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

New thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=176606

I searched naming eggs and nothing stood out as being directly related (except naming for AP egg) to this topic. So, what if it became available to name eggs. Or perhaps label them. Such as:To be abandoned,Gifting,and Trade in progress. Or just to be able to name them like hatchlings. Like in MagiStream. Just a thought... smile.gif It would help gifters and such keep track of where eggs are going and such.

*Idea from Slaskia* And why not make it so you can freeze eggs too? You could then start a full collection of the types (egg, hatclings, adults) of dragons!

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

....why? There is plenty of time to name them as hatchlings and adults. And really. They're eggs! Think about it. You can't see the baby, so how would you know how to name it? [in a RP sense of actually raising the egg]

Also, the space bar wants to make friends with you...

Edited by Pokemonfan13

....why? There is plenty of time to name them as hatchlings and adults. And really. They're eggs! Think about it. You can't see the baby, so how would you know how to name it? [in a RP sense of actually raising the egg]

Well true,but people with OCD (such as myself xd.png) like to have things organized.And being able to know that "Oh this is going to blahblah" or "Oh this is being gifted,I forgot.". Plus people in RP can wait to name them.Yes you have plenty of time, but like I said organization xd.png.

Only way I'd even begin to support this idea is if we had a 'freeze egg' ability, and to only be able to name said egg if it is frozen (otherwise you'd have to wait for it to hatch).

My 2 cents on the subject.

if you are OCD like me then you have your scroll organized in such a fashion that things are instantly accessible to you - my trade/gift eggs go at the top - tree- zombies- new adults to move - s2s-s1- eggs - the start of my color coded list with white 'welcome to the realm of Mysfytt'

I don't need to name the eggs - I know where they are going. Once accepted they vanish or are replace with an out f place item so i am happy.

I tried to be subtle, but please space after punctuation. I find it extremely difficult to read your posts when there is no space after commas or periods. When I hit stuff like that I have the tendency to just not read it at all.

For a moment I was thinking it might be a faulty space bar, but if that was the case there would be words running together too...

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I tried to be subtle, but please space after punctuation. I find it extremely difficult to read your posts when there is no space after commas or periods. When I hit stuff like that I have the tendency to just not read it at all.

At Pokemonfan13: * Clears throat* Sorry... At Slaskia: That's not a bad idea either, perhaps I should add that.

Well true, but people with OCD (such as myself xd.png) like to have things organized. And being able to know that "Oh this is going to blahblah" or "Oh this is being gifted,I forgot." Plus people in RP can wait to name them. Yes you have plenty of time, but like I said organization xd.png.

Or, people with OCD (like myself) can make notes of it in our computers. Or, important notes in the notepad here on the forums. (Which is lovely, BTW, VERY nice for keeping track of trades/gifts.)

Have I mentioned I love the forum notepad? Then, so long as you can access the forums, you don't need to worry about if your list of who gets what is on another computer~

Edited by KageSora

There are lots of egg freezing ideas out there. But honestly, I think naming a frozen egg is even more nonsensical than naming an egg that's going to hatch. It would either be an empty shell or a dead egg [since having a living dragon baby forever trapped in its shell is just cruel].

So... Do you name the chicken eggs you eat for breakfast? Do you name hollowed out easter eggs?? Things that are alive get names, like your pets, and things that are pretend alive, like stuffed animals and imaginary friends.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Also, think about it. Eggs are technically not a living creature until it hatches. Living creatures gets names.

So no, eggs shouldn't get names.

I don't care about this either way. But it's a good point that generally, only living things get names.

But there are people who name inanimate objects (pet rocks, I admit to having named my 3DS, cars, etc.).

But it doesn't really seem terribly needed. It seems like an on-site way to keep notes would benefit the OP more for the reason they want to name their eggs. We do have the forum notepad, and there are plenty of services that let you store notes online--heck you could just e-mail yourself--but it could be nice to have a small place for notes on the main site itself. I think there was a suggestion like that at once point...

If this got changed into an onsite notepad [ideally multiple notepads for better organization], that I would wholeheartedly support. =3

I agree that based on what the OP's stated needs are a notepad would be more useful anyways. xP

Or, people with OCD (like myself) can make notes of it in our computers. Or, important notes in the notepad here on the forums. (Which is lovely, BTW, VERY nice for keeping track of trades/gifts.)

Have I mentioned I love the forum notepad? Then, so long as you can access the forums, you don't need to worry about if your list of who gets what is on another computer~

Or people without OCD who just like not to forget things can do as KS does biggrin.gif

Though - my CARS always have names....

Only way I'd even begin to support this idea is if we had a 'freeze egg' ability, and to only be able to name said egg if it is frozen (otherwise you'd have to wait for it to hatch).

My 2 cents on the subject.

I have the same feeling.

If we can't freeze eggs,it doesn't make sense to name an egg.

Edited by Mercury

I agree with the general consensus against naming eggs for much the same reasons already given. Something else to think about- we can't trade away named hatchlings- why would be able to trade away named eggs? Which seems to go against your main argument for it- it would help with labeling.

If you want something for labeling purposes, I've seen several other scrolls that use dividers of some sort- frozen hatchlings or an adult- named for the category they have set up.

Rather than naming eggs to help us keep track with them, perhaps a formal scroll divider could be implemented on each scroll if the user wanted to set them up and enable them?

Or...some people with OCD (like myself) would be so organized in that we already know what to do with the egg before it was produced. xd.png

Well, I do believe the leetle tree is alive, but it still can't be named. (Unless you're TJ.)

In all seriousness though, I don't think eggs should be named because with some dragons, you may not know if you wanted to name it until it hatches. For example, alts, misgendering, refusing, etc. You may just want to change it later, and like PF13 said, you will have plenty of time to name (because adult dragons don't go anywhere).

I agree with the general consensus against naming eggs for much the same reasons already given. Something else to think about- we can't trade away named hatchlings- why would be able to trade away named eggs? Which seems to go against your main argument for it- it would help with labeling.

If you want something for labeling purposes, I've seen several other scrolls that use dividers of some sort- frozen hatchlings or an adult- named for the category they have set up.

Rather than naming eggs to help us keep track with them, perhaps a formal scroll divider could be implemented on each scroll if the user wanted to set them up and enable them?

Using adult cave blockers as sorters works really really well for me, and helps ratios in the long run tongue.gif

If you arent a mint collector for example, using mints to sort works out great for some of the more intense sorting needs. When my scroll is properly sorted (hasnt been in awhile) I tend to sort by lineage type, gens and family lines (so cbs are all in one spot followed by their mates if same breed, follow by their children in the same order so i know first second gen comes from 1 set of cbs). Tossing a mint inbetween gives the alert that "these are cbs, mint.. ok these are second gens.. mint, third gens"

The reasoning for using an off breed is simple: chickens dont show up in breeding window. Frozen hatchys dont show up in the breeding window either. If you dont like off breeds messing up your sort, then theres always the option of using a messy (breed) of that dragon type as your sorter, as long as you name them as a sorter, it works tongue.gif

Now.. freezing eggs: i have no issues with it. I dont think about the babies inside of the egg until they hatch.

Naming eggs.. ehhh.. not really needed. Especially since name you may want to use.. can always be reserved on another dragon and then moved to the dragon that should have the name.

See absolutely no reason to *name* an egg. It's not a living thing. And since, technically, in a Role-Playing sense, you don't know what's going to come out of that egg until it hatches, how *could* you name it? What if you named an egg "Fire-Breathing Murderer" and it turned out to be a pacifist?

There's simply no reason to name an egg. Wait a few days and name the hatchling instead.

Now, if you want to *tag* your eggs, as in organizing them, that's completely different. But that's not naming.

I have to say that while it would be handy for me to name my eggs (I generally know what I am going to name them in advance) because I wouldn't have to use another dragon to "reserve" the name and it would allow me to know the lineage so I don't have to wait for it to hatch, name it, then sort it ..... I totally see the reason for not having it (besides RP which I get too and agree with):

1. The Egg could still die. And then its just Gone. While Hatchlings can die, there is a chance to revive them into living (or unliving). And they get a tombstone. Eggs Don't get this.

2. Eggs have no gender. You can influence them, but you can also remove all BSA impacts via teleport, trade or Abandoning. And maybe the influence works, maybe it doesn't. But there is no way to know, and even if you try, it can be undone and redone. Hatchlings have gender. You may not know what that gender is for a few days, but they have a gender. And you can't do anything to change or impact it when they pop their cute lil heads out (aside from freezing them before gendering becomes clear, but thats not really stopping it, thats just not letting them grow up). And a lot of names have gender associations. Not all names, but I'm sure not as likely to name a boy dragon Sexy Lady.

I wish I could name my eggs because I am lazy and prefer not having to keep a list of dragons to merely reserve names, but ..... I get that it doesn't really make sense to name an egg.

Edited by natayah

TJ has personally stepped in and said "No." to this idea before.

also, i do not support for reasons already stated

Edited by ParticleSoup

if you are OCD like me then you have your scroll organized in such a fashion that things are instantly accessible to you - my trade/gift eggs go at the top - tree- zombies- new adults to move - s2s-s1- eggs - the start of my color coded list with white 'welcome to the realm of Mysfytt'

I don't need to name the eggs - I know where they are going. Once accepted they vanish or are replace with an out f place item so i am happy.

I don't have OCD and I do this already.

I really don't care about the option of naming eggs. If it's allowed, that's fine, if not, then no big deal.

Well, that's kind of what I meant with naming (tagging)....Should (can) I change it?

Edited by RavenWolf1010