urge101

random scroll

To be honest, I don't see why some people are already coming up with fail messages.

An effective implementation of this feature will have to automatically filter out the obviously boring scrolls and prevent them from being even selected, for example:

- Empty scrolls / Scrolls without adults

- Hidden scrolls

- Scrolls with only growing stuff shown

The question is what is the goal of this?

Is it to help give views to random users? In that case the only filters should be hidden scrolls and scrolls without growing things [and "I don't want to be in the random scroll pile"].

Is it to look at cool scrolls? In that case it would be more like what you listed, plus the "I don't want to be in the random scroll pile".

I think the first is the best of both worlds, since a decent percentage of the "growing things" scrolls would also have cool dragons on it.

Sure I like to show off mine - to people I choose to show it to. Which is not the same thing at all.

To "people you choose to show it to?" Your scroll link is sitting right in your sig. Any troll who takes a minute to register on the forums can find your scroll easy as pie. In fact, it'd be a lot easier for them to do so that way then to have to shuffle through thousands of scrolls to find yours. If someone wants to go around view bombing eggs, making a DC account to do so isn't any more time consuming then making a forum account to do so.

While I'm not terribly excited about this suggestion, I think it'd be a nice, fun way for people to look around at what others are doing, especially for people who don't come on the forums much. Yes, you COULD just dig up AP eggs and hope the breeders have the scroll name showing, but that's rather more time consuming considering 1) some of the breeder's scrolls will be hidden, 2) some of the eggs will be CB and 3) there are times when the AP is filled almost entirely with eggs from a single breeder.

Whereas with this, you'd 1) never bring up hidden scrolls 2) never bring up "empty" scrolls (the parallel to grabbing a CB from the AP, haha) and 3) almost be guaranteed to get a new user with every shuffle.

Not exactly a neccessary thing to implement, but if it wouldn't take TJ long to add and people would enjoy it--then hey, why not?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

To "people you choose to show it to?" Your scroll link is sitting right in your sig. Any troll who takes a minute to register on the forums can find your scroll easy as pie. In fact, it'd be a lot easier for them to do so that way then to have to shuffle through thousands of scrolls to find yours. If someone wants to go around view bombing eggs, making a DC account to do so isn't any more time consuming then making a forum account to do so.

While I'm not terribly excited about this suggestion, I think it'd be a nice, fun way for people to look around at what others are doing, especially for people who don't come on the forums much. Yes, you COULD just dig up AP eggs and hope the breeders have the scroll name showing, but that's rather more time consuming considering 1) some of the breeder's scrolls will be hidden, 2) some of the eggs will be CB and 3) there are times when the AP is filled almost entirely with eggs from a single breeder.

Whereas with this, you'd 1) never bring up hidden scrolls 2) never bring up "empty" scrolls (the parallel to grabbing a CB from the AP, haha) and 3) almost be guaranteed to get a new user with every shuffle.

Not exactly a neccessary thing to implement, but if it wouldn't take TJ long to add and people would enjoy it--then hey, why not?

I know my scroll is in my sig. I did PUT it there xd.png.

And people who want to see MY scroll can look. Fine. But I CANNOT see the point of them hitting on it randomly.

I wasn't thinking viewbombing, for once - I do watch for that. I just - can't see the point. And there are so many other things I would RATHER see - like amendments to the action log, to sorting, filters and so on. This seems like rather a drain on TJ's time when there are other things that would make more real difference.

As pokemonfan said - what is the goal ? I honestly can't see one.

I just - can't see the point. And there are so many other things I would RATHER see - like amendments to the action log, to sorting, filters and so on. This seems like rather a drain on TJ's time when there are other things that would make more real difference.

Why does anyone look at anyone else's scroll? To give a friendly single pass of unique views, to see what interesting things they're doing with theirs, to check out funny names, to see if they have any relatives of the other's dragons... who knows? It's all just in fun, so why not create a more easily accessible way for people who enjoy doing so to do so?

That being said, I agree with you that there are other, more important things that I'd rather see implemented--which is why I said it's up to TJ. However, IF he determines that doing this wouldn't be overly hard, or take up a bunch of time that could be used for something more useful, then I say let it be done. wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see the problem with a scroll randomizer selecting a hidden scroll....because well, its hidden? And we won't be able to see it anyway? I don't think the OP was suggesting a scroll to be unhidden upon selection.

I also wholeheartedly agree with ADP, if someone wanted to be a jerk, they can already do it. Although, I find more and more people with a different forums name than their scroll name nowadays.

@Dolphinsong: While I symphasize with you on the whole people asking for offspring from your dragons, lets be quite frank. All the spriters alts and nearly all the tinsels are already posted on Dragcave Wikia's public pages (Oh look, the whole collection!). With your name. So a scroll finder won't affect the amount of PMs that you are already getting xd.png.

Some of us actually has a different name scroll wise than we do here =p

This might be interesting for newbies, to click on and see a random scroll, just to see what happens and how the game works. And for people like me who just like to look at a random persons scroll now and then just to look at their nice lineages and such - it gives you a bit of inspiration xd.png.

But maybe you could opt out of your scroll being put into the random selection thing, without hiding it?

Edited by TheGrox

I would prefer the dragons be clickable and gained views. I want an in-cave way to give and recieve views rather than rely on offsite hatcheries all the time. I'd love to sit here and view random scrolls and their dragons when I'm bored.

To me this mostly seems very inefficient if you are wanting to give views. The good thing about the hatcheries is that you can give views to well over 200 eggs or hatchies in less than a minute. You cant come close to that by pulling up random scrolls which would have at most, 21 growing things.

You could just as well click on an egg or hatchie (nice way to give more stats) and find owner names that way...and look at their scrolls to your hearts content. I just did that on one of the hatchery pages and at least half had owner names visible.

So, while I don't think it would be harmful, I donn't see it as being anything useful enough to warrant spending the time on it. There are other ways to do the same thing that work even better and benefit more people in less time.

I agree that I don't see why this would be necessary. You want links to tons of different scrolls? Open up 5-10 of your dragon's lineages, and click on each and every dragon. Give views, and see random scrolls! There, done!

Or go onto a hatchery, open up a couple dozen eggs in new tabs, and click on over to that person's scroll. There you go!

Or come to the forums, go to a popular thread, and just go post by post clicking each scroll link. Again, there you go!

There are already so many easy ways to see different scrolls, I just don't get why a specially coded "random" way is needed.

But hey, as long as it's opt-IN, I don't care. I just don't get it.

This was just a suggestion, I didn't say TJ SHOULD do it. I personally like milling around random scrolls, so I thought, why not?

Also, how about you could only allow or not your scroll put in this random generator if you had a bronze trophy? That would fix the 'boring scroll' thing.

Carry on! smile.gif

Edited by urge101

Okay, then I DO think this would be nice (although not completely necessary), and I DO wish TJ would do this.

Although not a lot of these suggestions and requests get implemented, do they? blink.gif

IF TJ sees fit to implement this, then I think it'd be totally fine. Is it a top thing on the to-do list? Certainly not. But it's still a nice little idea. Yes, there are still plenty of other ways to find scrolls to look at, but having a little randomized thing would be fun too. So again, as long as /TJ/ thinks it wouldn't be too troublesome to add, then I say go ahead with it.

The way I see it, people don't like this suggestion because its not practical. It doesn't help them in any way; no benefits (compared to, say, a trading implement). No doubt that it isn't a top priority for change, but the OP suggested it intentionally as a RANDOM idea. Its supposed to be just a "thing" that doesn't necessarily make sense.

Why does this wilderness page exist? Do we HAVE to see other people's released dragons, nor do we care? Why don't we just go to everyone's scroll and just click every dragon until we find a released one? There you go!

And this heart egg...omg, what is the POINT of it? Its an egg that never dies and never hatches. Its still there though.

This page ... why was this page even made? Its so useless. I DON'T GET IT.

Not everything implemented needs to be completely comprehensive or pragmatic ... I just think it would be great that we have this little random thing thats kinda cool in what it does.

Although not a lot of these suggestions and requests get implemented, do they? blink.gif

That's true, but sometimes he does those updates where all of a sudden, he changes/adds ten different things. That's better than a new dragon release!

The thing is, DC isn't TJ's full time job, he does all the coding in his spare time.

-

I still like this idea. Of course it isn't the most useful thing, but it is still fun. How often have you ended up looking at random articles on Wikipedia? I know I do sometimes.

BTW, in the distant distant past I'm pretty sure there was a page to view random eggs. I think it was back before the silvers were released, we were trying to get all the growing things to grow up and once they all were the silvers came out and eggs came back. [although that info might not be 100% correct] So maybe bring back a version of that page? Kinda like an on-site hatchery. xP You'd have to add your eggs to it tho, since eggs that people are trying to keep as eggs could get really messed up if it just showed all growing things.

Yeah, the nursery.

An effective implementation of this feature will have to automatically filter out the obviously boring scrolls and prevent them from being even selected,

Agreed auto-filtering would be the best way to handle this. It'd be pretty annoying to continually get fail messages just trying to look at scrolls, lol.

But anyway. I get why people want someplace to be able to read through approved descriptions. However, we already have plenty of ways to view random scrolls, as summed up well here:

You want links to tons of different scrolls? Open up 5-10 of your dragon's lineages, and click on each and every dragon. Give views, and see random scrolls! There, done!

Or go onto a hatchery, open up a couple dozen eggs in new tabs, and click on over to that person's scroll. There you go!

Or come to the forums, go to a popular thread, and just go post by post clicking each scroll link. Again, there you go!

:3

It's not a no from me, exactly, but it's not exactly a yes, either.

I think a random scroll thing would be fun smile.gif But I think it should be an opt-in thing (i.e. you have to tick a box to have your scroll placed in the random pile) because many people worry about excess clicks/want to keep their scroll private/don't want people nosing around their dragons etc. Maybe it could become an option after you get your bronze trophy to keep it interesting?