urge101

random scroll

I think the Dragon Cave should have someting like 'Or, you can shove your hand in the enormous pile of scrolls and take one out.' for a random scroll on the main page. I suggested this because I really like just looking at scrolls. Opinions? ^^

Some people have their scrolls set as hidden (like TJ's) such a random feature would have to take that into account to prevent showing those hidden scrolls.

A lot of people have links to them in their signatures here on the forum. And to be honest, those scrolls would be more interesting to look at. tongue.gif Take into account all the people who have began playing and then stopped after only grabbing a couple of eggs. There would be a lot of scrolls like that so the chances of getting a rather boring scroll from the pile would probably be quite high.

Or a lot of scrolls with nothing on them because either they're empty or they have everything but growing stuff hidden and have nothing growing at the time.

at Stormwizard (didn't recognize you at first because of your changed avatar!^^) and KageSora: Oh yea... good point laugh.gif

at Dolphinsong: Well, in account settings, there could be a checkbox saying 'hide from random scrolls?'

Maybe if it lands on a hidden one, it could say "You accidentally drop the scroll before getting a chance to look at it. Would you like to try another?" or something.

OOOHHH! I like it! Or something like, 'the scroll you have picked up is marred from water stains and other damages. Try another?'

The only way I would honestly support such a random scroll setup is that NO names is listed on the scroll. This means dragon names and scroll names are auto hidden and no clicking on lineages. This way should a scroll with a spriter's alt gets grabbed out of the random pile they won't end up seeing a ton of PMs on the fourms asking for offspring from said spriter alts.

Haha, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun if you can't see the dragons' names. People come up with some of the best. xd.png

Like someone else had mentioned, could have a hide random scroll thing, and if you want your scroll to appear there, you simply tick the box or whatever.

Then its best its set default hide random scroll. Would hate for those who love to view bomb scrolls to get ahold of a scroll name using the random feature as a means of picking their targets.

Then its best its set default hide random scroll. Would hate for those who love to view bomb scrolls to get ahold of a scroll name using the random feature as a means of picking their targets.

That's the first concern that came to my mind with this suggestion. It would potentially make view-bombing a lot easier and more common.

What if it didn't show names or codes, and the dragons weren't clickable, nor gained views? Like, you were shown what would basically amount to a screenshot of the scroll. That would mean people wouldn't have a way to viewbomb.

If someone wants to view bomb, all they have to do is take two seconds to poke their nose into the forum and they'll be loaded with scrolls to spam. Anyone who wants to be a jerk already can be. I don't think this suggestion would lead to increased attacks.

As for hidden scrolls--simply prevent this feature from pulling them up.

I would prefer the dragons be clickable and gained views. I want an in-cave way to give and recieve views rather than rely on offsite hatcheries all the time. I'd love to sit here and view random scrolls and their dragons when I'm bored.

Not sure what purpose hiding dragon names would serve, and if people didn't want their dragons traced back to their name, they can always hide their name via account options. I also support a "disable random scroll" option.

Also, perhaps it could be made so that only scrolls with recent activity would show up?

Edited by Flamingo

If someone wants to view bomb, all they have to do is take two seconds to poke their nose into the forum and they'll be loaded with scrolls to spam. Anyone who wants to be a jerk already can be. I don't think this suggestion would lead to increased attacks.

Yeah, I agree. If you want to viewbomb, it's already easy enough. I think this would actually be less convenient than simply coming onto the forums because you'd need to find a scroll that actually had growing things on it first. tongue.gif So I personally don't really see an issue there.

I also like DS's suggestion that the box be set to hide by default. As well as meaning that no one's scroll would be public without them wanting it to be, it'd mean that players would have to be around for a while and understand the game before they untick the box (making their scroll viewable with this feature) meaning that the likelihood of pulling up empty ones would be far less. If that makes sense. xd.png

Anyway, my opinion on the idea as a whole is that it's not all that necessary since you can find plenty of scrolls here on the forum, but I don't think it'd hurt. smile.gif

I would prefer the dragons be clickable and gained views. I want an in-cave way to give and recieve views rather than rely on offsite hatcheries all the time. I'd love to sit here and view random scrolls and their dragons when I'm bored.

Not sure what purpose hiding dragon names would serve, and if people didn't want their dragons traced back to their name, they can always hide their name via account options. I also support a "disable random scroll" option.

Also, perhaps it could be made so that only scrolls with recent activity would show up?

If the goal is to have an on-site way to give views, just have it so that only scrolls that have growing things are in the pile. No need for a "recent activity" log.

I'm neutral on the idea.

BTW, in the distant distant past I'm pretty sure there was a page to view random eggs. I think it was back before the silvers were released, we were trying to get all the growing things to grow up and once they all were the silvers came out and eggs came back. [although that info might not be 100% correct] So maybe bring back a version of that page? Kinda like an on-site hatchery. xP You'd have to add your eggs to it tho, since eggs that people are trying to keep as eggs could get really messed up if it just showed all growing things.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see the problem with a scroll randomizer selecting a hidden scroll....because well, its hidden? And we won't be able to see it anyway? I don't think the OP was suggesting a scroll to be unhidden upon selection.

I also wholeheartedly agree with ADP, if someone wanted to be a jerk, they can already do it. Although, I find more and more people with a different forums name than their scroll name nowadays.

@Dolphinsong: While I symphasize with you on the whole people asking for offspring from your dragons, lets be quite frank. All the spriters alts and nearly all the tinsels are already posted on Dragcave Wikia's public pages (Oh look, the whole collection!). With your name. So a scroll finder won't affect the amount of PMs that you are already getting xd.png.

I just - can't actually see the point of this, to be honest... I don't mind (though might then hide my scroll unless we could all opt for our scroll simply not to be a part of this.... which might be a nightmare to code.)

I really like this idea.

For anyone who thinks that this might make viewbombing easier - it already is easy. Our scrolls still work with number links and you can just go through them, trying random numbers and it will say "soandso's scroll" and the name will also show up in the adress bar.

I have always thought it was pointless to go about building a beautiful collection and then not showing it off. In my opinion, names and lineages should be visible, that's what makes it interesting.

I also like the idea of an in-site way to give views that was mentioned above.

Scrolls that have nothing written on them or that are completely hidden, should just not show up.

Edited by blah

To be honest, I don't see why some people are already coming up with fail messages.

An effective implementation of this feature will have to automatically filter out the obviously boring scrolls and prevent them from being even selected, for example:

- Empty scrolls / Scrolls without adults

- Hidden scrolls

- Scrolls with only growing stuff shown

The only way I would honestly support such a random scroll setup is that NO names is listed on the scroll. This means dragon names and scroll names are auto hidden and no clicking on lineages. This way should a scroll with a spriter's alt gets grabbed out of the random pile they won't end up seeing a ton of PMs on the fourms asking for offspring from said spriter alts.

There is a way to not display your user name already

There is a way to not display your user name already

Not, I think - at the top of your scroll....?

But I would want it to filter out scrolls whose owners do not want them to be totally hidden - just not trawled out as random viewing sites !

Sure I like to show off mine - to people I choose to show it to. Which is not the same thing at all.

I like this suggestion (although as random as it may seem :P), but maybe instead of having the "fail/error messages", you could have an option in Account Settings for "Allow people to randomly come across your scroll?" (with the hyperlinked words linking to the "random scroll" page). :]

@Fuzzbucket: Well, why not? We have the Wilderness page, which personally I find useless. Why DO people care about dragons that other people released? Have you ever went there at least once and just kept on refreshing the page, curious to see what things would pop up? Then you'll have to ask yourself why, because its not like those dragons are ever going to go anywhere, or they will ever become ours, etc. Its just there as an additional thing for us users to be curious about.

I - and I know a lot of others do tongue.gif - just really like to muse around scrolls, just to see what projects are going on, or lineages being made, or just how many dragons they have. Its also interesting to look at different naming themes, the sort theme (everytime I see someone with a rainbow sort, its NEVER the same as another rainbow sorted scroll!) and which dragons the person collects the most. Its also a passive way to give and receive a small amount of views.

For the people who don't want their scrolls to show up, they can just keep it hidden or opt out of the viewing cycle?

@Fuzzbucket: Well, why not? We have the Wilderness page, which personally I find useless. Why DO people care about dragons that other people released? Have you ever went there at least once and just kept on refreshing the page, curious to see what things would pop up? Then you'll have to ask yourself why, because its not like those dragons are ever going to go anywhere, or they will ever become ours, etc. Its just there as an additional thing for us users to be curious about.

I - and I know a lot of others do tongue.gif - just really like to muse around scrolls, just to see what projects are going on, or lineages being made, or just how many dragons they have. Its also interesting to look at different naming themes, the sort theme (everytime I see someone with a rainbow sort, its NEVER the same as another rainbow sorted scroll!) and which dragons the person collects the most. Its also a passive way to give and receive a small amount of views.

For the people who don't want their scrolls to show up, they can just keep it hidden or opt out of the viewing cycle?

Because - you can look at random scrolls now. How would this make anything different ? Click on any sig link, on any egg offered here for trade, and so on... and if you use google - (just tests - yes it works)- if you "search" "dragcave.net/user/" and input ANY letter, you get a SLEW of scrolls beginning with that letter to choose from....

blink.gif Not even just beginning with that letter !

Edited by fuzzbucket