Walker

Do you think in words or pictures?

Do you think in words or pictures?  

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had this interesting thought and then I began wondering if most people were visual thinkers or thought mostly in words? I know I think almost exclusively in words and it's hard for me to drum up a mental image, but I've met people who think almost exclusively in a visual fashion. Or are there people out there who use them equally? Do you think in other ways than words or pictures?

Answer. Discuss. That sort of thing. AWAY!

Visual, definitely. I don't think I think in words much, if at all.

Usually a mix, although sometimes I just think without words or pictures. It's kind of like the feeling you get when you know the meaning of a word, but you don't know how to define it. It'a annoying sometimes, since I can't really but what I'm thinking into words all the time. DX

I do a bit of both, like I'll think of the word of something and then i think of the thing too, but mostly I think in images. If I have to think of a word I also think of the letters that form the word and not just the word and it's meaning. But mostly I am a visual thinker.

This topic would also tie into whether someone is left-brained or right-brained.

This topic would also tie into whether someone is left-brained or right-brained.

I was thinking that myself.

It's possible that if you mainly use the analytical part of your brain, you could probably be a "word" thinker, whereas someone who uses the other side could probably be someone who thinks with images.

Not sure if it matters or not, but I think mainly with images and am left-handed. laugh.gif

That's interesting though, because despite thinking mostly in words I'm relatively artistic. I mean... I get down when my muse is out of commission. I get random and spontaneous urges to write poems. My creative side is almost as strong as my analytic... I just prefer to be creative with words I suppose.

Edited by Walker

i do both. i sort of picture something, then i have a habit of trying to put words to what i picture, as if i'm writing a book. i dunno why i do it. its like im trying to narrate my life in a monologue and put words to my thoughts rather than wordlessly think them.

Always think in pictures. Very useful when it comes to drawing. I just need to copy down what I see biggrin.gif

Edit: Right handed, but am capable of doing things like drawing with my left hand. So I guess I'm both.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

I actually have a hard time grasping how people can think in pictures. I can hardly do it at all, and it requires a lot of concentration.

I'm like the opposite of lizardtail; I try to put pictures with the words of my thoughts occasionally.

Huh. Well, it seems I'm the only one twho voted "other."

I think in emotions. Instead of words or pictures, I feel things when I look at stuff, and when I think back to something, I don't remember an image; it's a feeling that I felt when I was experiencing that thing.

Anyone else like this?

I actually have a hard time grasping how people can think in pictures. I can hardly do it at all, and it requires a lot of concentration.

I'm like the opposite of lizardtail; I try to put pictures with the words of my thoughts occasionally.

Me too. I can only produce an image once I've clarified what it is with words in my head.

I do both. Mainly words more than pictures..

Though sometimes I end up writing a story or something based on a random image that appears in my head. Most of the time the image is placed there by someone saying something though....

It's difficult for me to think in images. It's like I can see an image for a split second or two before it disappears, which is frustrating if I feel like drawing. xd.png

Normally, I just tend to ramble on and on in my mind. tongue.gif

I wasn't aware that people thought in words blink.gif

Thought that only happened in books, lol. That's so weird for me! I always think in pictures, or "videos" (replaying something someone said in my mind, or a future scenario etc).

I mostly think in words and images at the same time. I guess you could say I think in video clips.

For me it depends on the situation. Say I'm writing a report or something, or thinking of what I'm about to type right now for instance, then I think about the words that I'm going to say. But, say I'm going to draw, paint, sprite, etc.. then I think about a predefined image that I can base my art off of. In most instances though, since I'm a very artistic person, I usually think in pictures and images.

Edited by Mindless Interest

I do both equally. They go hand in hand with each other all day long... one without the other is odd to me.... I learn both ways too... and often find myself either drawing a picture to match the words or writing words to match the picture in my notes for classes.

It's hard to explain for me. When I'm actively thinking, it's like my brain is talking to itself so I'd go with words. But I also picture stuff when I think. I could also sum it up as: I think in pictures, I remember in words. Mostly. My brain thinks in both images and words but more often than not, it's images. But when I remember, I remember best in writing, like actual visible words.

That sounded oddly confusing, haha

Edited by glamoursea2

I have to agree with above, it really depends. When I'm daydreaming or just thinking about something, it's more words than pictures but they're still there. But everything else is visual.

Almost exclusively pictures. I occasionally run in to trouble translating a particularly difficult picture-concept into words when I'm trying to explain things.

For the record I'm not exactly all that artistic. Musical, perhaps, but my drawing is appalling. And I'm functionally ambidextrous with a preference for the right.