TheTwilightKnight

Customizable scrolls?

If this has been suggested before then I apologize. smile.gif

Okay, so I just though of something, what if you could customize the look of your scroll?

Like you could change the color of the background and the color of the text and whatnot.

I dunno if this is a good idea or not, just though I'd mention it.

So that others could see or just yourself?

Seems like a good idea. Though, if I wanted to troll, I'd make the scroll color black. Bam, nobody can see any text anymore >:3

Black would be an icky background colour anyway...I like how TJ has made his scroll skins and customization as it is, and I don't see an immediate need for anything else.

Edited by Ashywolf

I think other people should be able to see it.

I'd rather just you could see anything like that.

Remember people on slow connections and dial-up - there are still some - loading as it is NOW means it can use cached images for everyone's backgrounds etc. If it had to change for every scroll....

And to be blunt - I don't CARE how anyone's scroll looks; I just want to see their dragons. It is faster to look at them on a background etc that I know.

There are other skins already.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Scrolls should be just that, scrolls. Not electric pink or bright blue. It would ruin the look of the whole site. Can you imagine a pink dragon on a bright pink background? e_e

Scrolls should be just that, scrolls. Not electric pink or bright blue. It would ruin the look of the whole site. Can you imagine a pink dragon on a bright pink background? e_e

*squints* I thought this person had a bright pink dragon, but the background makes it completely invisible!

I also agree about the loading issue. If you want to deck out your scroll with bells and whistles, go ahead. But don't make it harder on other users to *see* your scroll by forcing them to load all those bells and whistles.

Maybe customizable options would be the better approach. Maybe a text box at the top which could explain your trade agreements, information about your scroll, etc (which I believe has been suggested) and you can customize the background of the text box? Maybe customizing it by moving certain dragons to the top of your scroll in a different spot (like a showcase box).

I do like the idea of customizing scrolls. I don't like how everyone's scroll is one uniform thing. You can't tell my scroll is any different from others except maybe the dragon's names and/or the way I sort my dragons. I need a little more uniqueness for the players.

Edited by MysticTiger

This might belong better in a separate idea, but I just had a thought. Maybe hold some sort of a contest to create a skin for the site? Maybe like only the top five get chosen, there would be no real prize(other than your name going on the site for credits), it would just be for fun.

Maybe customizable options would be the better approach. Maybe a text box at the top which could explain your trade agreements, information about your scroll, etc (which I believe has been suggested) and you can customize the background of the text box?

This I like very much. I'd love to have a small text area where I could leave a personal message. Just a plain and simple text box that you could change when needed.

I could leave a note saying I'm going on vacation and will be back on such and such day. Or saying that I accept breeding requests.. or accept IOUs.. or how to contact me on the forum. Nothing huge or fancy, just something personalized.

It could act just like a signature, except no images.. just text and links. It should use the same style sheet as the rest of the scroll, and you'd change the message from the Account page using your Account Settings.

Maybe customizable options would be the better approach. Maybe a text box at the top which could explain your trade agreements, information about your scroll, etc (which I believe has been suggested) and you can customize the background of the text box? Maybe customizing it by moving certain dragons to the top of your scroll in a different spot (like a showcase box).

I like this idea better. It would give customisation without ruining the look of the site.

I'd like better size customization, make the scroll longer and shorter (other forums i'm on don't allow images that are taller than 150 pxls in sigs)

I do like the idea of customizing scrolls. I don't like how everyone's scroll is one uniform thing. You can't tell my scroll is any different from others except maybe the dragon's names and/or the way I sort my dragons. I need a little more uniqueness for the players.

I DO like the fact that all scrolls look standard. It makes them so much easier to look at.

If this ever happened, I would want the option to see all scrolls as cave default. I don't CARE how you want your scroll to look; I DO care how it looks TO ME. If I am checking your scroll to see if you have something that fits something I just bred, the last thing I want to have to do is struggle through your dragons in fancy coloured bedrooms... biggrin.gif

Surely if others are visiting your scroll the best way is for it to be visible in a way that THEY want to look at it.

Black would be an icky background colour anyway...I like how TJ has made his scroll skins and customization as it is, and I don't see an immediate need for anything else.

Actually, black is a good background for images, because it makes color 'pop.' White as far as text is concerned is better. I think TJ has put much thought and effort into each of the alternate skins we already have and they're all pretty easy on the eyes, including the "Black Out," which is my favorite, though I'm using the default right now.

I DO like the fact that all scrolls look standard. It makes them so much easier to look at.

If this ever happened, I would want the option to see all scrolls as cave default. I don't CARE how you want your scroll to look; I DO care how it looks TO ME. If I am checking your scroll to see if you have something that fits something I just bred, the last thing I want to have to do is struggle through your dragons in fancy coloured bedrooms... biggrin.gif

Surely if others are visiting your scroll the best way is for it to be visible in a way that THEY want to look at it.

Okay, I understand that.

To fix that, maybe there would be an option to turn the customizations off/on?

Okay, I understand that.

To fix that, maybe there would be an option to turn the customizations off/on?

That sounds good to me!

I think it would be really cool to be able to customize your scroll... such as being able to change the sizes/colours/fonts/add decoration etc. smile.gif

Orrrr.

Older scrolls would look more... aged and darker haha, whereas new scrolls would look clean and crisp.

That sounds good to me!

I think it would be really cool to be able to customize your scroll... such as being able to change the sizes/colours/fonts/add decoration etc. smile.gif

Orrrr.

Older scrolls would look more... aged and darker haha, whereas new scrolls would look clean and crisp.

That also sounds like a good idea.

And ^ I know that xd.png It's just that you can't really Customize your scroll.

I'm really meh on the whole customizing your scroll thing, but I like this better: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124802

It doesn't make sense that we view everything in our own skin and page settings, only to have that be broken by some random custom scroll. D:

I don't know if it's a browser feature or an OS feature or an add-on (or more than one of these), but I do know there's something that allows you to customize webpages just for yourself and I'd prefer people used that. o3o

Actually, black is a good background for images, because it makes color 'pop.' White as far as text is concerned is better. I think TJ has put much thought and effort into each of the alternate skins we already have and they're all pretty easy on the eyes, including the "Black Out," which is my favorite, though I'm using the default right now.

I dislike darker background images. I suffer from chronic headaches and they make them worse. I use the light portal skin, I like the style of it, my biggest complaints is the black bg image and the font used. I'd like it even more if I could pick a solid color instead of that image. I don't want to do anything crazy but I would love the option to pick the colors I actually want to see my scroll in. I do not think it's something that others should be forced to see, there could be an option where you could select to see them or just see the site in the skin that you are using.

I use the light portal skin, I like the style of it, my biggest complaints is the black bg image and the font used. [...]

I do not think it's something that others should be forced to see...

no problem

body,div#top {background-image:none !important;}
body{background:#E5C993 !important;}
h2,h3,th,legend,ul#account li b,#middle h1, .eggs,#top>h1, #menu,#loclinks li,
.pane>ul>l,input[type='submit'],input[type='reset'] {font-family: "Arial", sans-serif !important;}

• Opera : Put this code into somefile.css and remember where it is located.

mouse rigthclick on dragcave page. -> Edit site preferences -> "Display" tab -> My style sheet

click on "choose file" or paste path to just created file.

Hit "reload" button.

Done.

• Firefox & Chrome : use Stylish plugin. put the same code when asked. (don't have'em now to post complete howto-guide but it can be googled without any problem)
  • Safari : "User CSS extension" does the job for ya.
use Colorpicker to choose your color (replace E5C993 with anything you'd like).

Change "Arial" to the font of your choice.

If you're pissed with glowing around menu links - add following line:

#menu a:hover, #menu li.active { text-shadow: none !important;}

Your DC now should be looking like that :user posted image

Now back on topic:

1. Forcing your style to others is ok if user are pro at design. It's absolutely justnotthatthingagain-awwhurtmyeyeeeeyes - if not.

2. Making your own style for yourself and share it - Ok.

3. You must be noticed presence of !important keyword in styles. Yup - it's here to override defaults. It's the only difference between styling from scratch and re-styling already defined design.

I would be glad to see option in accound settings - "Do not include default css". (only default,not the special ones like for haunted house, this year cooking etc.). But this would requiere some coding from TJ and not a feature from a "must have" list.

I'm really meh on the whole customizing your scroll thing, but I like this better: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124802

It doesn't make sense that we view everything in our own skin and page settings, only to have that be broken by some random custom scroll. D:

I don't know if it's a browser feature or an OS feature or an add-on (or more than one of these), but I do know there's something that allows you to customize webpages just for yourself and I'd prefer people used that. o3o

Customizing the web page would be against the Terms and Conditions I believe:

"◦Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users."

Edited by Karobb

Customizing the web page would be against the Terms and Conditions I believe:

"◦Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users."

How is having a differently colored scroll giving anyone an advantage over anyone? tongue.gif

It gives you no advantage and thus it is fine.

At any rate, I'd like custom scrollage--as long as there was an option for people to just view everyone else's scrolls in the same format as their own, for people with vision/lag issues. Personally I think it'd be quite fun if I was browsing other people's scrolls and could see if someone was using, say, the Portal background, or the Modern background, or whatever.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy