HeatherMarie

Anyone hunt mostly in the AP?

Heh. No wonder I've not yet been fast enough to snag any of the really cool stuff I've seen on the AP! laugh.gif Reading this thread shows that there are lots of good reasons to look there for eggs. Maybe I'll try for something common next time I have an egg slot free, instead of scrambling after the unusual.

I hunt both, but I spend a fair amount of time in the AP. Usually I'll type in the dragon's code to take a look at its lineage before I grab it...although 9 times out of 10 it's gone when I go back...

I've been snatching eggs from APs for a while, but not as often as I do now thanks to the change. The only time I ever wander into the Biomes is when I breed my dragons so I can scroll-lock myself on time.

I love the AP

I only hunt in the cave for specific things that the AP won't have/will get snagged too quickly. Such as when Crimsons came out, I snatched so many it's not even funny, then traded them all for nice things like my CB Magma.

On the other hand, I snagged a pair of gold tinsels in the AP, traded one for a silver tinsel (my first one, Teirtu), and gave the other one to my sister, who now totally owes me for all the nice things I've done for her, and has a shimmerscale, (coincidentally, that tinsel, The One Time She Gifts One Away, would have been my only-non influenced female Tin). I've also snagged two separate magmas, (Glaurung Tocahu, and the other I gifted in a thread,) and both my vampires, one when I had just started out, and the other a 413 baby, (a few other vamps that gifted/traded.)

Right now I'm in a competition for raising four different breeds, so that's all I'm grabbing, but again, from the glorious AP.

I have a newbie question. Do some eggs on the AP come with views? Or do they all start out with zero? I'm a little intimidated by the thought of picking up an egg that has 4 days 10 hours left and zero views. I mean, it should hatch; my CBs hatch in 3 days or so. But it's still a little nervous-making, having the smaller margin for error.

AP before & after hiatus unless i'm seeking something specific.

I have a newbie question.  Do some eggs on the AP come with views?  Or do they all start out with zero?  I'm a little intimidated by the thought of picking up an egg that has 4 days 10 hours left and zero views.  I mean, it should hatch; my CBs hatch in 3 days or so.  But it's still a little nervous-making, having the smaller margin for error.

Yes. Some of the eggs on the AP will have some views if their previous owners got them views before they were abandoned. By using fan site ERs I can usually have an egg starting with zero views within 30 minutes (or less).

Edited by rubyshoes

I have a newbie question. Do some eggs on the AP come with views? Or do they all start out with zero? I'm a little intimidated by the thought of picking up an egg that has 4 days 10 hours left and zero views. I mean, it should hatch; my CBs hatch in 3 days or so. But it's still a little nervous-making, having the smaller margin for error.

A lot of the AP eggs already have views; I caught 2 this morning with enough views to hatch, but they just needed to wait a few hours.

There are a lot of fan sites that you can post your eggs on, so you shouldn't worry about getting enough views, as long as you use the fan sites.

I find that these are usually enough:

http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/NDDC.php

http://dc.makegames.de/scroll.html

and, if I need an ER:

http://www.jaemeia.net/er/

Thank you, rubyshoes and PrincessLucy! I picked up a Daydream egg--unfortunately it had zero views--and put it up on Silvi's Lair, which is the site I've been using. If it follows the usual pattern, it should hatch in time, but I am really glad to have those other site addresses available in case time starts running short. smile.gif

What is your opinion of posting eggs on more than one viewing site? I know that if you do that on day one with a CB egg, it's likely to become sick. Are shorter-timed eggs less prone to getting sick if they get tons of views in a short period of time?

I have a newbie question.  Do some eggs on the AP come with views?  Or do they all start out with zero?  I'm a little intimidated by the thought of picking up an egg that has 4 days 10 hours left and zero views.  I mean, it should hatch; my CBs hatch in 3 days or so.  But it's still a little nervous-making, having the smaller margin for error.

Some do, some don't. So long as you put them into a couple of fansites that automatically put them in ERs when they get to ER status, they'll be fine (I use Silvi's and EotND).

Edit: Oh boy... ninja.gif'd like crazy. I didn't see the new page, lol xd.png.

Edit2:

What is your opinion of posting eggs on more than one viewing site? I know that if you do that on day one with a CB egg, it's likely to become sick. Are shorter-timed eggs less prone to getting sick if they get tons of views in a short period of time?

I only post any eggs over 6 days left on one site (and I wait at least an hour or so first for freshly bred/cave caught eggs: some folks wait a full 24 hrs first). Once it goes under 6 days then I add it to a second.

Edited by Slaskia

Yes, I do tend to hunt on the AP more than I do the Cave, mostly because of the low-time and that there can sometimes be a lot of good things the Cave doesn't drop. C:

Thanks for the timeframe guidance, Slaskia! It's very helpful to know that once they drop below six days, it's OK to put them on a second site. I'm feeling a lot more confident about short-timed eggs now. (Just what everyone wanted to hear, I bet: another person interested in the AP!) xd.png

What is your opinion of posting eggs on more than one viewing site?  I know that if you do that on day one with a CB egg, it's likely to become sick.  Are shorter-timed eggs less prone to getting sick if they get tons of views in a short period of time?

I usually don't post my eggs until they're at 6 days exactly or less, and then I'll put them on three to four sites, and it generally works really well. The only exception I have is tinsels/shimmers, which I wait until the 5 day mark. :3

If you're going to post eggs on a new site, though, and have never used it before, I would advise doing it at a time when you can check on your eggs regularly and fog them if they happen to get sick. Some sites have more traffic than others. Most of the ones I've used have been very convenient, however, and haven't needed much fuss from me.

On a side note, I know how you feel about the "low" time AP eggs. I was nervous about those when I first started, too. It gets easier. Four days may not seem like a long time, but if you're paying attention to them, it's really plenty of time. ;3

Since I've recently been frustrated with hunting the biomies, I've been poking around in the AP. With all those eggs at 4d and a few hours, I've been picking up interesting ones, and hatching them in a few hours (Yarold's is awesome for that!).

I certainly do at least 85% of my hunting on the cave, but ever since the changes to the AP I've been doing much more hunting there. It's nice that they're so low time nowadays.

I'm with the OP, 99.9% of my hunting is AP-only. I've gotten a lot of good eggs that way, and just recently snagged three silvers (which all gendered female, oops LOL).

My royal crimsons are all (at the moment) CB, and I have a few others that I got directly from the biomes, but I generally prefer the hunt.

Admittedly I will sometimes spend *hours* hunting, but I've been well-rewarded. I have 16 stripes, 11 glitterballs, and 8 tsunamis just from hunting, and I've gotten reasonably adept at snagging hatchies from the AP, I've gotten 15 (I scroll-locked myself with eggs and snatched hatchies one morning) since starting here at the end of Feb.

I've also managed to outdo my girlfriend with the number of dragons I have, and she's the one who got me into it. Somehow, hilariously enough, I have exactly double the number of dragons she does. (242 to her 121).

I do,

AP hunt is easy than Cave hunt because in cave hunt the 3 eggs wont change until someone picks one and AP eggs have 4 days left, incubate it then post it in ER's.

for me AP eggs hatch faster then CB eggs.

Also count me among the AP addicts. I usually only go to the biomes for new releases and seasonals (and even then I had an impossible time getting a fourth CB spring in the cave and then one popped up in the AP.)

I've dissapointed more than a few people when they inquired about some of the nicely lineaged low-gen tinsels I've found and traded when I told them they were actually AP finds, so no, I couldn't breed more. xd.png; (I'm not in the tinsel market anymore, but like most people, I auto-click shiny things.)

(Almost) all of my reds, pinks, and magis are APs, including all the CB dragons in there (it's amazing how easy it is to grab a CB magi in the AP, it's ridiculous.) In fact, probably apart from the initial pair I started with, my collection of CB pillows, waters, skywings, whites, and daydreams were all from the AP. (The whites and daydreams were grabbed in the time BETWEEN the soulpeace's release and when the AP finally caught and were showing eggs released around that time.)

Also when I filled out my collection of CB common pairs, it just took some AP hunting to find abandoned CB commons.

Edited by DorkJulian

If I need a certain breed that is unlikely to drop in the AP.. I go to the main cave (or well.. when new releases are happening wink.gif )

But usually the ap serves me best. :3 So yes, I mainly hunt the ap for dragons.

It depends. When two of my kids were complaining about not having the last trophy to enable them to have 7 eggs at one time I told them to check the AP. Neither like the AP, but when they realized that a lot of them were CB AND just over 4 days and they could incubate and hatch them pretty quickly, they changed their minds! So both of them got their trophy in no time.

When I decide on a new scroll goal I hunt in there a lot -- I get bored watching the same three eggs sit in a biome.

The reason I love AP so much because of its low time, i don't have to wait 3 days for it to hatch It becomes ER after a few hours.

Also sometimes people are SO generous. I currently have 9 nebula dragons. 1 of it is poached from the cave by me, the rest are from AP.

I prefer the ap course...

...you can see wich dragon you get and the code it has.

...you can abadon the egg right away when you decide not to hach it.

...there is the chance to get a cool linage (not importand for me but also a plus for the ap)

...there could be all from a little pygmy till a rare shimmer (realy!! I saw a bronze shimmer in the ap!)

.. you don't have to wait long till they hatch. (Sometimes they hached alredy) This is cool for beginners who want to grab the bronze trophy fast.

.. The ap loads faster and changes the offer more.

I would say half and half. However, I admit that I have found a lot of incredible things in the AP. My first Vampire, Gold , and Silver were from the AP. I also got a lot of Tinsels from there. biggrin.gif

Edited by NekoA

Well, I was almost strictly sticking to the biomes until the AP started backing up with low time eggs. A surprising number of CB guardians (which I collect) have ended up there of late. I've probably added 100 to my scroll within the last 2 months (probably more, that number seems low). smile.gif Right now, the AP is giving me what I want, CB guardians with low times.

I have what you would call a good problem: being completely locked with 21 growing things!

I also like to poke through the AP for interesting lineages. I've found some nice shimmerkin lineages that way. smile.gif And I've found mates for some of my own projects.

Edited by ytak