KyokoYei2

Lucid Dreaming

I don't think there's a thread out there for this and so here it is?

Lucid Dreaming: s any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. The term was coined by the Dutch psychiatrist and writer Frederik (Willem) van Eeden (1860–1932). In a lucid dream, the dreamer may be able to exert some degree of control over their participation within the dream or be able to manipulate their imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid dreams can be realistic and vivid. Lucid dreaming has been researched scientifically, and its existence is well established

This is the place to discuss lucid dreaming, out of body experiences, and any type of tips.

Ha, after reading up on the subject a year or so ago I really wanted to try it. I have had a couple of experiences of lucid dreaming in my childhood, including once it was the way I broke free of a recurring nightmare ; so I knew that I could do it. I managed to hijack a dream and what I wanted to do was fly, so I did smile.gif Very cool.

But since I have been very tired and can't be bothered to put in the effort so it hasn't happened again.

I used to have a lot of lucid dreams as a child, but usually they were nightmares and I was too young to really understand I could take control. Sometimes I would succeed in waking myself up, but that's it.

I still have some as an adult that are less scary, but they don't happen as often. Once, I had a lucid dream where I was able to change the landscape with elevation and terrain tools like you'd find in a computer game, so that was different.

Don't think I've ever experienced something like this but I've been aware of it for a while. Any tips on how it works/how to control dreams like this?

Lucid dreaming can both be a frightful and wonderful experience. I almost always lucid dream during day naps (which is also the optimum time for lucid dreams as opposed to night time).

I have learn to do reality checks while lucid dreaming. My method is pretty simple. If you watch Inception, reality checks are done with the spinning totem. I do the same thing, except my totem is my ring. I spin my ring to let me know whether I am in reality or if I am in a lucid dream.

I often *awake* myself from over indulging in lucid dreaming because it can be very addictive and after awakening, I often feel restless and anxious.

Yeah. I'm also performing constant reality checks. Though it's really not getting me anywhere. I have a hard time remembering my dreams, and if I do I never have enough time to write them down. Also, I heard that writing an "A" for awake can also remind you to take reality checks.

Does bianual beats help as well?

I've studied and have had a lucid dream a couple of times. It's an amazing experience, but unfortunately, I am too busy with school to continue practicing any further sad.gif I wish I could, but I can't seem to find the time.

I've had dreams where I knew i was dreaming before, but I haven't been able to successfully control them yet. I had one dream where i started to realize I was dreaming and I was able to control it, but I had a false awakening that screwed everything up. DX

I would try the binaural beats method if it weren't for all those rumours about binaural beats being dangerous and/or the cause of much suicide. I'm joking, I just don't know where I could find something that sounds nice that allows me to control my dreams. And isn't the Lavender Town song.

I had this one dream where I was doing something and after a while I was bored with that and as soon as I thought that I was bored and I wanted something different the dream completely changed to a new setting. I wasn't really trying to take control even though I felt I could as I wanted to just sit back and see what would happen. It was quite a fun experience and I would love to have one again.

Ooh, I've always been super intrigued by it.

I've had share of lucid dreams...but I think the most often is during a nightmare. I have a super-phobia of elevators, right? I had a dream once, where I for gods-know-why got inside of one, and then it started falling. I was so scared to death and it was so real, I suddenly was able to just like, scream at my self that it was a dream. Although after that I didn't have anytime to day anything with that knowledge, because instead I used it force myself awake...

And I know when I was younger, I've had similar nightmares like that and then forcing myself into a lucid dream. I dunno. I've read about all these tips as to how to "hone" your ability to enter a lucid dream, but I've never really messed around with it.

I've heard about the binaural beats before, but ever since I read the Pokemon Lavender Town creepypasta (even though it's fake) I've been too freaked out to mess with any such beats...I know, I'm a wimp tongue.gif

I've had a few. Usually they're when I'm doing completely mundane things in my dream, I realize it and have fun with it. I've floated a bit, some flying. But then I wake up.

Though there was one that I had where I actually kind of kept slipping in and out of lucidity, remembering it was a dream then forgetting again. That one was AMAZING. I was a seagull for most of it, and I was flying, and then I was using portals, and BEST DREAM EVER. The lucid parts were a bit less fun, actually, because I was able to fly more reliably when I wasn't lucid! (I think I have some sort of natural inhibition that prevents me from properly using lucid dreams for dream flight...)

I've never been able to induce one intentionally, though I'd love to be able to.

Waah. Being a seagull would be fun!

Though, would taking naps during the day help with lucidity?

With lucidity, one should try to meditate first. Gain some control over your mind.

Then, laying flat on your back in a relaxed state, you should visualize a road. Allow your mind to fill in the details as though it's a dream. But you will be able to control yourself. Walk along the path, pick a leaf or blade of grass.

Most importantly, feel the air, the dirt, the bark. It needs to be real.

Once you have experience doing this, your mind will automatically sink into this state during your dreams.

With lucidity, one should try to meditate first. Gain some control over your mind.

Then, laying flat on your back in a relaxed state, you should visualize a road. Allow your mind to fill in the details as though it's a dream. But you will be able to control yourself. Walk along the path, pick a leaf or blade of grass.

Most importantly, feel the air, the dirt, the bark. It needs to be real.

Once you have experience doing this, your mind will automatically sink into this state during your dreams.

Ah. That sounds easy. Does it work with falling asleep?

Edited by KyokoYei2

There used to be a thread about this; I'm not sure where it went now.

Anyway, I've been able to go lucid once or twice, although I haven't tried it in a while. What helped me the one time was remembering to look at my hands. Weird, right? But our brains don't pay attention to the details and so when we have enough presence of mind to look at something closely, it gives us that 'jolt' of awareness that, for me, was enough to give me lucidity.

(More later)

I heard about it a long time ago on a different forum where there were tips on how to achieve this when being in a dream. I never managed to do on command though, I only had times where I suddenly just realized it was just a dream without any actions to actually confirm this.

I just remembered that I wanted to fly and I did. It was the most epic dreaming moment ever. As well as breathing underwater and just gliding through the water as fast as a fish. Dreams are so awesome!

There was actually a show on Wiretap that had a large section on this. Quite interesting. I remember being aware several times of the fact that I'm dreaming, but it was hard to hold the idea in my head that I was, so I sort of drifted back into unawareness.

They also mention how sometimes in dreams, your hands pass through matter, and I have, probably thousands of times, tried to turn a tap or something similar in my dream, only to have it pass straight through, to my frustration!

I believe I've never had a lucid dream yet.

But I wish to have one (not only one, but actually lots of them)! I'd do lots of cool stuff biggrin.gif because I've had lots of really cool dreams, very cool but not perfect haha poptartFINALTINY.gif

Edit: But for what I'm reading here, it is just a matter of practise, isn't it? ohmy.gif Interesting. I will begin to try it someday.

Edited by Slytherin7

I never really do it on purpose, but a long time ago I used to have recurring nightmares about alien invasions, and then one night I realized I could fight back, so I did, and it was awesome, and then the aliens didn't bother me anymore after that.

If I could remember what I did then, maybe I wouldn't just get stuck running away all the time from whatever stuff keeps chasing me now. I could be like Gordon Freeman with the Super Gravity Gun.

I've never actually had a dream where I knew I was dreaming and controlled every aspect, but I've been able to think and control some of what happens. I've tried it a lot, but I'm too easily distracted for it to work very well, tehheh.

I'm really interested by spiritual/metaphysical things, so lucid dreaming and astral projection are things that I'd definitely like to try someday.

I've had dreams where I became lucid and could control things, but it happens pretty rarely (once every two months maybe?) and I can't control when it happens. Also lasts for a very short time. It's a really cool experience, though!

When I was little I had a lot of nightmares. I knew that they were dreams at the time, but I couldn't do anything to stop them. Then, I watched The Wizard of Oz, and I saw that Dorothy tapped her ruby slippers together three times to return home, I incorporated that whenever I had nightmares. Whenever I had a nightmare from that point on, I would blink three times (slowly) and I would wake up. I'm not sure that this is a form of lucid dreaming, but I was aware whenever I had a dream, and the "blinking" was really the only thing that I could control.

Sheesh. You're all better at lucid dreaming than me...I hardly remember my dreams lately.

By the way, Mindless Interest, I love your avatar...

I got really good at lucid dreaming for maybe half a year or so, and practically every other night involved a lucid dream, but then I just kind of stopped I guess :P it was lots of fun though<3