Lord_Kishin

Changing "Back to actions" link on Abandons

This is a really good idea, since it is difficult to move around the site. A button to go back to the cave or the biome when you miss an egg would me sweet, too.

Simple, but brilliant.

Yes, it would be useful for those who don't want two billion tabs open.

Okay. This is just a really small suggestion, nothing major, and I don't believe it's been suggested before (I searched and couldn't find anything, although admittedly I'm pretty bad at using the search function, so maybe I'm an idiot and missed it).

All I want is a link to the AP on the page right after you abandon an egg. As opposed to abandoning an egg and then having to click the Dragon Cave logo, and then click "take one of those."

I am constantly picking off random eggs off the AP, checking the lineage, and then tossing them back. It would be really great if the line of text you get after abandoning an egg had a link to the AP.

Just like this, basically: "You set the egg down outside the cave where you found it and walk away."

Same for when you abandon a bred egg: "You set the egg down outside a familiar-looking cave and walk away."

Like I said, I know this is a really minor suggestion, but I feel like being only a click away from the AP after abandoning something as opposed to two would be really nice. As someone who snags, checks, and tosses back at a pretty quick pace, the addition would be appreciated.

(Also, I'm very aware that the title is a little awkward, but I wasn't sure how to word it, hah.)

Edit: Thank you to the mod who put this in the right place. It would appear that I AM indeed an idiot and don't know how to properly use the search function laugh.gif

Edited by xxBurningxx

Okay, this is a really small detail, but it's been bugging me for awhile now. When you abandon an egg (or hatchy) the page shows three things: The egg you just abandoned, the message that you abandoned it, and a link back to actions. It's the third thing that bothers me.

Some screenshots before I go on:

user posted image

As you can see, that "Back to actions" link is completely useless. Like I said, it is a very small thing, but it bothers me nonetheless. Maybe it's just my inner neat-freak showing. Anyway, think we can remove the link? Or change it to one that goes back to your dragons?

I actually really like this. It didn't bother me too much, but I did wonder why it was there considering you just abandoned that egg. I think a better thing would be to have a link leading back to your scroll instead.

I actually really like this. It didn't bother me too much, but I did wonder why it was there considering you just abandoned that egg. I think a better thing would be to have a link leading back to your scroll instead.

Seconded. I'd like to see it lead back to the scroll since you can't take any additional actions on the abandoned egg/hatchling anyway. Support!

I concur. But it might have just been something there because it was easier when it came to the way the coding is done. Which would make fixing it more of a hassle than you might think.

Edited by mo7

Any way we could have a list of links replace it? Like:

• Abandoned Eggs
  • Wilderness
  • Graveyard
Or even let us make our own custom links? (instead of using the bookmarks toolbar) Edited by xeyla

If I am playing catch and release in the AP, looking for pretty lineages, I would appreciate a link back to the AP. So maybe two links -- one to your scroll and one to the AP?

Any way we could have a list of links replace it? Like:
  • Abandoned Eggs
  • Wilderness
  • Graveyard
Or even let us make our own custom links? (instead of using the bookmarks toolbar)

I could probably throw something together in Greasemonkey. I'd need to look next time I have a slot to pick things up and abandon them with. I highly doubt TJ is going to give us this level of customization, though.

If I am playing catch and release in the AP, looking for pretty lineages, I would appreciate a link back to the AP. So maybe two links -- one to your scroll and one to the AP?

I love this idea.

I'd personally go for a single link to the AP. There's a link to the scroll readily available on all pages in the site, after all.

I'd personally go for a single link to the AP.  There's a link to the scroll readily available on all pages in the site, after all.

I was actually going to suggest only the AP link, but then figured people would want the links to be in the same place for ease of use and to avoid possible confusion. I have no problem with having only the AP link. smile.gif

Edited by purplehaze

I would love a link back to the AP. I currently hit the Back button several times to get back, which is inconvenient. I know I could just use the Cave hyperlink and get back to the AP that way, but the less I have to use my mouse, the better.

I would love a link back to the AP. I currently hit the Back button several times to get back, which is inconvenient. I know I could just use the Cave hyperlink and get back to the AP that way, but the less I have to use my mouse, the better.

I would like the link back to the AP - and I would ALSO (wishes are horses...) like a link to the AP on the biome pages along with all the biomes, and links to the biomes on the AP page.

On a similar note, I'd like to suggest that on the page where you pick up an egg from the AP, a link to your dragons and a link back to the AP are there. When I'm at home I play on mac, where you can't open a new tab to catch an egg - so I have to go back and then refresh the page (for which there isn't a convenient single button). It would save a small bit of effort if, when AP-hunting, I could have a link on the grab an egg page to go to my dragons and to go back to the AP.

Oh yeah, and a +1 support for adding both of the links to the abandon page biggrin.gif

I would like the link back to the AP - and I would ALSO (wishes are horses...) like a link to the AP on the biome pages along with all the biomes, and links to the biomes on the AP page.

This would be a nice addition/change to the list of current links too. Good idea Fuzz smile.gif

I could probably throw something together in Greasemonkey. I'd need to look next time I have a slot to pick things up and abandon them with. I highly doubt TJ is going to give us this level of customization, though.

I was worth a shot. I figured the worst thing to happen is be ignored. This would be a welcome change though.

I love this idea, as well as:

It's always bothered me that the "Back to actions" options is there, there's no point x)

Okay, I wrote up a little Greasemonkey script to do this. Please note a few things about it -

* The code itself is fairly fragile. The URLs for both the pre-abandon and post-abandon pages are identical and there's not a great way for me to reliably determine which side of the page we're on. I did the best I could with what I had. Things may break in the future; if asked nicely I will probably try to fix them. However, I guarantee nothing.

* The code is from me. Don't expect TJ to provide any form of support. Please don't ask TJ to provide any form of support, as more than likely he will be unappreciative of this and may pull the code altogether.

* Please read through the standard disclaimer at the top of the code. By using this code, you agree to the disclaimer.

* I left comments throughout the code to explain it, for anyone who's bored/curious/paranoid. Questions are welcome.

* Feel free to modify the code to add your own linkbar. You pretty much just need to copy one of the little blocks of code at the very end and modify it as you see fit. Don't ask me for support if you break the code by modifying it, though.

* I'm not great at this. If you think I could have done it better, you can feel free to toss improvements at me. I may or may not update the script to use them.

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Dragon Cave Abandon Links
// @namespace   DragCave
// @description Replaces the "Back to Actions" link for abandoned dragons with a list of more useful links
// @include     http://dragcave.net/actions/*/abandon
// @include     https://dragcave.net/actions/*/abandon
// @require     http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

/*Standard disclaimer: this code was not written or endorsed by TJ09 or Dragon Cave. AGYK is not affiliated
with TJ09 or Dragon Cave.

Under no circumstances shall TJ09 or Dragon Cave be asked or expected to provide support for this code. TJ09
and Dragon Cave shall not be held accountable for any failure this code may have or the consequences it may cause.

AGYK may provide limited support and/or updates for this code at his own discretion. AGYK shall not be held
accountable for any failure this code may have or the consequences it may cause.

You may use or modify this code freely. Any modifications you make, as well as the consequences of any
modifications you make, are your own responsibility, and no support shall be provided for them.

*This code is provided as-is. Use at your own risk.* */

var abandonTextElements;
var abandonTextConfirmElements;
var abandonPasswordConfirmElements;
var actionsLinkElements;
var actionsLink;
var actionsLinkParent;

var linkParentNode;
var scrollLinkNode;
var apLinkNode;

//look for certain key page elements - the abandon text that's shown after abandoning, and the two types of confirmation textboxes shown before abandoning
abandonTextElements = document.querySelectorAll("p[class='rptext']");
abandonTextConfirmElements = document.querySelectorAll("input[name='confirm']");
abandonPasswordConfirmElements = document.querySelectorAll("input[id='passfield']");

//check for confirmation elements - abort if found since we're still pre-abandon
if ((abandonTextConfirmElements.length > 0) || (abandonPasswordConfirmElements.length > 0)) {
   return;
}

//only proceed in the (likely) presence of abandon text, since it means we're post-abandon
if (abandonTextElements.length == 0) {
   return;
}

//find the "back to actions" link
actionsLinkElements = document.querySelectorAll("a[href*='/actions/']");

if (actionsLinkElements.length == 0) {
   return;
}

actionsLink = actionsLinkElements[0];
actionsLinkParent = actionsLink.parentNode; //get the "back to actions" link's parent element - we need this for replaceChild later

linkParentNode = document.createElement("span"); //show all links inline - switch this from span to div to show links in a block instead. All links should be attached here.

//build new links and attach them to our shiny new span
scrollLinkNode = document.createElement("a");
scrollLinkNode.href = "http://dragcave.net/dragons";
scrollLinkNode.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Return to Scroll"));
linkParentNode.appendChild(scrollLinkNode);

linkParentNode.appendChild(document.createTextNode("\u2003")); //  doesn't work in createTextNode - use unicode code instead

apLinkNode = document.createElement("a");
apLinkNode.href = "http://dragcave.net/abandoned";
apLinkNode.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Return to the Abandoned Page"));
linkParentNode.appendChild(apLinkNode);

actionsLinkParent.replaceChild(linkParentNode, actionsLink); //replace the "back to actions" link with our new container full of links

Just one thing...

There IS a link to your scroll on every catching page - and every OTHER "playing" page; it says "dragons" laugh.gif.

Frankly, I'd rather not use any kind of code. Especially not for something that, as fuzzbucket pointed out, can be achieved with just moving your mouse pointer a little further upwards.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort - but unless TJ says we may use this, I'd rather not take any risks. I'm way too addicted to dragcave as it is.

Okay, I wrote up a little Greasemonkey script to do this.

I would like to understand what the mods think about scripts that do not improve our chances to hunt. For example:

- would a script counting how many CBs and non-CBS per breed there are in the personal scroll be considered acceptable?

- what about one to calculate, to the minute, how much time an AP egg has left? (you can easily imagine why one would want to run this one)

Realized that this is off-topic, posting on Help instead.

Edited by NotBambi

Frankly, I'd rather not use any kind of code. Especially not for something that, as fuzzbucket pointed out, can be achieved with just moving your mouse pointer a little further upwards.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort - but unless TJ says we may use this, I'd rather not take any risks. I'm way too addicted to dragcave as it is.

I discussed a site-modding project with a mod quite some time ago. Their answer was as follows:

Considering this post by TJ: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=8393840

You can achieve custom coloring and styling on a per-person basis with an addon like GreaseMonkey.

There's way too many colors (moreover, used in way too many places) to have "pick your own" be officially supported.

I'm going to say that would be fine. The illegality would come in if you modified actual site functions, not just style Ex. making AP/cave links automatically open in new tabs, making the actual eggs visible instead of mystery eggs, etc. would be illega.

Later in the conversation, they did clarify their answer with "ask TJ to be sure".

I believe this to be okay (or I wouldn't have built it, let alone posted it!) but I can certainly understand your hesitation. I guess I'll shoot the bossman a PM and see if I can get an answer from him. The same mod, during that same conversation, did tell me no answer from TJ within two weeks could be taken as an implied yes.

Thank you for your answer!

I'm using this scrippt, and i changed the scroll link to go to the AP instead. Thank you so much.