Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Kishin

Changing "Back to actions" link on Abandons

I don't think this idea is actually a bad one. It's a tiny little thing that, yeah, has the world's easiest workaround, but our focus shouldn't be on how easy it is to work around things. The goal of suggestions are to keep making the game better, and removing a superfluous, unusable link or making it actually go somewhere (like NyanCat wink.gif - awesome idea, LightConcorde!) *should* be simple to implement. Is it strictly necessary? Heck no. Would it just make that one little thing in the game better? Actually, yes.

I don't think this idea is actually a bad one. It's a tiny little thing that, yeah, has the world's easiest workaround, but our focus shouldn't be on how easy it is to work around things. The goal of suggestions are to keep making the game better, and removing a superfluous, unusable link or making it actually go somewhere (like NyanCat wink.gif - awesome idea, LightConcorde!) *should* be simple to implement. Is it strictly necessary? Heck no. Would it just make that one little thing in the game better? Actually, yes.

This, pretty much. happy.gif

Though I'd be happy with the link just being removed or leading somewhere bizarre instead (though I admit I imagine the chance of latter is slim just because it might confuse so many people, sadly xd.png ah well, I can dream).

Personally I think it would make most sense if it turned into a 'Return to your dragons' link, that's typically where I want to go after abandoning something. On a potentially interesting user-interface note, I tend to just use my backspace key to go back to it instead of moving the mouse pointer to "Dragons" (even though I use the "Dragons" link frequently in other contexts). Funny how that goes.

I honestly have no reason why the OP wants the link the lead to the AP, of all the different places it could lead (to me, it would make much more sense to take me back to my scroll).

And I agree it's definitely not needed, and it takes less then 2 seconds to just click on the Cave link.

But I *would* support simply having the link removed entirely. It doesn't do anything, why should it be there?

So, if you are naming a dragon prior to describing it, or freezing prior to abandoning releasing, or naming then freezing a dragon, etc, you should be deprived of the link back to the actions page, because if you are abandoning you do not need the link? Sorry, I can see too many times one might want to use the link back to the actions page to remove the link. Really makes no sense to me.

Edited by raindear

So, if you are naming a dragon prior to describing it, or freezing prior to abandoning, or naming then freezing a dragon, etc, you should be deprived of the link back to the actions page, because if you are abandoning you do not need the link? Sorry, I can see too many times one might want to use the link back to the actions page to remove the link. Really makes no sense to me.

When you have abandoned something you cannot do any actions on it. It's gone. You can use the back button, sure - but you can't do anything. So "you set the egg down outside the cave" etc with a link "back to actions" makes no sense.

So what are we deprived of ?

No-one is suggesting not having the link to the actions page on dragons you OWN - only on something you have just abandoned.

But that link only shows up on the page after any action is used. Taking it off the page after abandoning may take it off-period. I see too many chances for people to want to use 2 actions on the same dragon to be in favor of this.

So, if you are naming a dragon prior to describing it, or freezing prior to abandoning, or naming then freezing a dragon, etc, you should be deprived of the link back to the actions page, because if you are abandoning you do not need the link? Sorry, I can see too many times one might want to use the link back to the actions page to remove the link. Really makes no sense to me.

What are you saying? You can't abandon a named or frozen hatchling. I mean, for frozen ones, you can release them to the wild, but otherwise they cannot be abadoned.

Your post makes no sense. The OP wants the "back to actions" link taken off of the page which tells them they just abandoned the egg/hatchling because it's unnecessary in that situation, because you CANNOT do anything to the egg/hatchling anymore because you don't have it.

I'm sure it can be taken off of that page, specifically, and maybe some others too (releasing to the wild, for example, if it's actually there, too) without messing up the other pages.

I'm sure it can be taken off of that page, specifically, and maybe some others too (releasing to the wild, for example, if it's actually there, too) without messing up the other pages.

This.

No one has asked for this link to be taken off *all* after-action pages. No one. So that's a moot argument. All we are asking is for it to be taken off the after-abandon page, since is makes no sense on that page, and it doesn't do anything anyway. That's all. And I can't imagine that somehow being impossible to do.

Yeah, I am not getting the hostility in this thread. It is a harmless suggestion, even if the link was changed to lead to AP or whatever, I don't see the harm in that. And no, I don't think it would take it off of every action, and regardless, that is something only TJ would know as it is his code.

I have no problem making the extra few clicks to get to the abandon page. I'm more bothered by the pure redundancy of the link's existence. Is this a world-changing problem? Of course not, but it is a small change that would make a page many AP hunters see every day much more sleek and streamlined. I would not even dream of requesting the button to be removed after every action. I love having it after you freeze a hatchling, for example, because then I can go right back and rename the hatchling I just froze. I only would appreciate a change of the link specifically on the page seen after abandoning an egg or hatchling. Why have a "back to actions" button when there aren't any actions to go back to?

Edited by Millie_Azure

The link is there because the page is a TEMPLATE. Meaning all the 'after action' pages are identical. And you can't make it go to another page or remove it without re-coding ALL the 'after action' links.

Just click one of the links at the top of the page or make yourself a quick link in your menu bar to go to the page you want.

And you can't make it go to another page or remove it without re-coding ALL the 'after action' links.

As a webdev... what makes you say that? Usually it's easy to code in exceptions. It might not necessarily be that way here, but from where do you take the knowledge that it isn't? (Genuine question; I don't mean to imply you don't know what you're talking about, I'm just perplexed about the source.)

I'm sure TJ once said don't shoot down suggestions on the basis of whether they'd be hard to code or not... Either way, we shouldn't be getting so caught up on coding - to me it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to code, but I'm not an expert.

Edited by TheGrox

As a webdev... what makes you say that? Usually it's easy to code in exceptions. It might not necessarily be that way here, but from where do you take the knowledge that it isn't? (Genuine question; I don't mean to imply you don't know what you're talking about, I'm just perplexed about the source.)

Templates are shortcut pages so that you don't have to redo the same coding every time you add the same kind of page. If you change the template once, you cnange it on every page that uses it.

Now I don't know personally that TJ is using templates, but it only makes sense that he would. Maybe there is some kind of advanced coding that I'm not familiar with, which is entirely likely, but I wouldn't know how to code an exception into a template.

I'm not really trying to shoot the idea down, I just don't think it's necessary when you can make your own link in your menu bar to go to the page you want to go to whenever you abandon an egg.

Templates are shortcut pages so that you don't have to redo the same coding every time you add the same kind of page. If you change the template once, you cnange it on every page that uses it.

Now I don't know personally that TJ is using templates, but it only makes sense that he would. Maybe there is some kind of advanced coding that I'm not familiar with, which is entirely likely, but I wouldn't know how to code an exception into a template.

I'm not really trying to shoot the idea down, I just don't think it's necessary when you can make your own link in your menu bar to go to the page you want to go to whenever you abandon an egg.

You can bookmark, sure - but having a link that actually makes no sense seems to - make no sense, is all. There is nowhere to go back TO. All the other "return to actions" take you back to your own property.

We have no idea if it's templates, if it's hard or easy to code.

BUT, we do know that it's illogical. IF it has to stay this way because of the coding, fine whatever. It isn't the end of the world and it is easy to just click to where you need to go.

That doesn't change the fact that it'll illogical to have a "back to actions" link when you no longer own the dragon and therefore *can't* go back to it's actions.

I don't believe removing it from one page would automatically remove it from all of them. If it would, all the "after action" texts would be exactly the same. They're not. If you can change the TEXT on a single page, you can change the LINK on a single page.

However, none of this part really matters, because TJ hasn't commented anywhere one way or the other. We really shouldn't be commenting on the ease or capability of the coder's job. Only the coder can do that. All we can do is provide suggestions, which we have done by stating that this useless link would make sense to change, and feedback on the suggestion itself.

Edited by Millie_Azure

I agree it should be changed to AP link; RP-wise you go to the AP and leave the egg there, so it's understandable that you click and see the AP.

Good suggestion, strange reactions to it rolleyes.gif

If people think this is not necessary, why do they try to shoot the idea down instead of simply saying "I wouldn't use that link" or "I don't care"? It's not like it would harm anyone if a link which is useless to everybody would be replaced by a link which is useful to some of us.

When I am AP-hunting, I'd like a "back to AP" link after re-abandoning something I picked up and decided not to keep. Yes, it is not too hard to click "Cave" and then the AP link, but if we have a useless link anyway, we can replace it by something that is useful smile.gif

I don't understand the hostility here. What harm can be done by replacing a completely useless link that shouldn't be there in the first place with one that can actually be useful?

Please don't tell me how that will change all other action pages, etc. You're assuming that TJ is using a template, as well as assuming that coding an exception is impossible. If TJ does pop up and say yes, this is impossible to code without screwing up all other action pages, then alright you may go ahead and open your flak.

Until then, the reaction to this thread can only be described as "weird" to me.

I think this idea makes a valid point since its a page that really has little purpose. I don't understand all the negativity towards its either. It's not a big deal if TJ doesn't change it, but it doesn't mean that page can't have a few other more useful links (Dragons, Cave, AP, whatever) might be an ok idea.

I don't know that I'd argue against or take issue with this idea. Especially as if it isn't done there is no horrible impact.

I'm sure TJ once said don't shoot down suggestions on the basis of whether they'd be hard to code or not... Either way, we shouldn't be getting so caught up on coding - to me it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to code, but I'm not an expert.

you are correct. I believe he did say that.

you are correct. I believe he did say that.

Yes, definitely.

Btw: no matter how tj did code it. It never takes long to do such small changes. Unless you have no clue of coding. Which its safe to assume, does not exactly describe tj. wink.gif

I would say simply remove it is acceptable. Changing it to direct to AP is an potion but it will rise other problems.

I don't understand the hostility here,either. Don't worry about coding, small changes won't hurt him. Tj might using a templet for those action pages and he could even make a templet himself:p Templet is used to minimise the repeated works and they are adjustable.

So, I abandon eggs a lot, look to see if they are good, then re-abandon. I always have to go back to the main cave to get to the ap again. My suggestion is to link "A familiar-looking cave" and "The cave where you found it" to the AP.