Sign in to follow this  
olympialeon

Best Dragon Names

What do you think is the best type of name?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I name them a bit oddly. My favorite though, is "Last Minute Seafood Flying", named after a friends autocorrected typo.

I really should get surnames for all my miniprojects... lol

I don't really know how I would describe my dragons' names... In any case, I actually prefer either humorous names (like good puns) or more traditionally fantasy names. Funny, I don't have much of either of those on my own scroll. xd.png

I voted for "Other", simply because I couldn't pick "all of them" (as I don't really use any of the options listed - if I do, it's sporadic and rare). xd.png I pick names for my dragons based on fandoms, my own stories, my interests (mythology, history, etc.) and some funny stuff that I think about when I see the dragon or its code (one of my Splits is "Somebody dumped uranium on me").

Fandom example: Dygenguard and Aussenseiter, my Blusangs that got named after mecha from Super Robot Wars OG.

Fanfic: Conrad Strauss (he's a fan-character of mine from Cyber Formula, an anime series from 1991).

Original story: Matthew Cross (he's an angel/demon hybrid from my original universe, and also from a second RP universe I share with a friend).

Mythology: Hraesvelg, a shape-shifting giant from Norse mythology.

History: Aleksandria, after the Library of Alexandria that burned down 1,600 years ago.

Funny: Z'Nearly inappropriate code. Self-explanatory.

I like to have different styles for different dragons.

- My favorite is to use character names from books I've read. Of course that only works for the less common books, or if I happen to be first to snag the name.

-Sometimes I make up names that I like the sound of.

-Naming based off the code is always interesting. That is frequently combined with the above.

-Some dragons just need to be named based on what they look like or what they are. Like Sylvan Sunstream for one of my neotropicals.

-Naming off of parents is an option. I most often use it on hybrids or gift dragons.

-Dragons with many different alts I usually name off a theme. I used a musical theme for my seasonals. (Cicada's Song, Rustling Anthem, are two of them.)

-I love alliteration and so I have a propensity to use it.

Personally, I prefer fancy names. At one point I named my dragons after characteristics of their breed in Latin, with my surname. However, I started to run out of names, and some breeds overlapped in names that fit them, or lacked characteristics that fit well with them. In short, I fell further and further behind on naming until I broke down and used one of the random name generators.

While I picked choice number three, my dragon names seem to be scattered all over the poll (except for choices 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6, I've done about everything). I started out naming my dragons things like Courting Song, Zephyr Wind, and Shadowdash. But I started running out of names like that because it seemed like everyone and their grandmother had the same idea. So I switched to other languages. I got Seong-un, Koseumoseu, and Haes-sal that way. If I'm feeling creative I use names like Bright Blossoms on the Mountain, Wing That Shimmers in Flight, and Victory is Assured. My favorite dragons I give really special names like Benedictus Faustus Supero, Whitefang of the Fireraider Line, and Reget Nos Hodie. Lately I've taken to naming my dragons after an ancestor of theirs. Mated pairs get similar names, but each have at least something from their lineage, like Belgarath Magizel and Poledra Magizel or Engeladus Serion and Nilre Serion. On other sites, I use various mythologies or historical people for inspiration but so far I haven't done that yet for any of my dragons.

Most of my unnamed dragons had names a few years ago, but something happened where they all got reset and I've been a bit lax in renaming them because I have a few too many to give them really good names. Especially since it's hard to find ones that are available.

Well, fancy names like Winterstream, Moonstream, Silvertide, etc.

However, I choose real life people as inspiration for names as well. Especially to use a pun.

Sign in to follow this