Dragonhatchling

Graphics Tablets

First off, sorry if this doesn't go here mods... it seemed to fit but maybe it fits more in visual arts or something, I don't know. I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot.

Alright, to my question... or somewhat question.

I'm searching for a graphics tablet and was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on which one they like best and why.

Criteria:

*Not super overly expensive (no thousand dollar ones... or $700 either) but not so darn cheap that "you'll get one use of out it and you're done" type of thing.

*it doesn't have to be a 'dumbed down' version either. If I don't understand something I'll be able to figure it out. promise.

My computer:

Version- Mac OSX 10.5.8

Processor- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

My Art programs:

Photoshop Elements 6.0 (barely used anymore)

Photoshop CS5 12.0 (used the most)

GIMP 2.6.6 (third most)

Paintbrush 2.1.1 (used the second most)

So hopefully with all this whoever sees it is able to give an opinion.

I appreciate the help and if anything else is needed, please PM me and I'll get that info right away.

~DH

For you I would recommend looking into a Wacom Bamboo model. It is possible to get one of those within the $80-$200 price range depending on what you are looking for.

I've been using Wacom brand tablets for about decade (first a Graphire model and then in more recent years and Intuos4 model) and I can vouch that they are sturdy and easy to adjust the settings to the feel you like for each individual program.

I've tried out a friend's Bamboo and although it is a lower price point model compared to an Intuos, it is still responsive and gives a nice freehand drawing/painting experience. I see it as the modern successor to the Graphire line. Small and sturdy but gets the job done.

I know Wacom tablets are completely compatible with Photoshop. I've also worked with mine in GIMP with similar results. I haven't used Paintbrush so I can't speak for it.

I hope this helps.

I would also recommend the Wacom Bamboo line. If you've never used a tablet before however, don't go for the fancy stuff. You won't even use it, I swear. A Wacom Bamboo Fun was the first one I've ever gotten (looking to advance to a Cintiq soon, ahaa..)

They don't have anything unnecessarily fancy, work on all the programs you say to have, and are fairly cheap; even on the official site where they're biased about price. They may have stopped selling them on the site, but I'm sure they're still in stores. Recently, someone I knew bought one from Best Buy and got a free copy of CS5 and Elements. It made me regret buying mine online, ahaa. xd.png;

All you really need on a tablet is the pen/pressure sensitivity (your lines will be bigger/smaller/lighter depending on how hard you press) and the ability to draw lines in the first place. A lot of excellent artists on Deviantart still use this kind because the tablet is only a tool, but the inspiration/art comes from the person. :3

Have fun! I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Well I currently have a monoprice tablet that I don't like so much. But it may have something to do with the fact that I don't like my program.

But I would agree with everyone else. A Wacom I heard is really nice. You can get a good deal on Amazon.

I have a wacom bamboo, but I feel like the only program which fully utilises the pressure sensitivity is SAI ahaha.

I've heard from many people that Wacom can be reliable/durable, but there have been several cases of them not working/breaking after a month or two of wear.

I personally recommend the Monoprice Tablets. The 10x6.5 in tablet is about $50 + shipping/handling. I've watched others use them and have seen wonderful results and improvements within their art. Also, if you draw traditionally on paper first, there's a 'tracing cover' thing, where you can put the paper, then go from there.

I would also suggest the Wacom Bamboo. I have the Bamboo pen, and I've had it for a year it has held up like a champ. It may not be as fancy as some of the others, but it gets the job done just the same and my friends say they like it because it's smaller and easier to carry around. The size really doesn't hurt anything.

If you've never used a tablet before however, don't go for the fancy stuff. You won't even use it, I swear.

This haha

I have an Intuos4, but my tablet before that was a Wacom Graphire4, which has since been updated to the Bamboo series. My Graphire lasted over 6 years with absolutely no drop in performance, and I finally just gave it to someone so I could get a new one, because that Graphire showed no signs of giving up.

My girlfriend just got a tablet for the first time and I recommended the Medium size Bamboo (she's using mostly Photoshop/Adobe suite) and although she is new to art, she has years of computer programming experience and knows good technology when she sees it. She's extremely thrilled with the Bamboo so far.

If you aren't using your tablet for pro-level art, Wacom Bamboo is the way to go. It's very affordable and reliable.

I've heard from many people that Wacom can be reliable/durable, but there have been several cases of them not working/breaking after a month or two of wear.

Indeed. I'm currently in possession of a Wacom Bamboo pen & touch which I received less than a year ago. Alas, despite my efforts to keep it well handled and functioning, the tablet itself no longer wishes to operate. I've uninstalled, reinstalled and updated drivers numerous amounts of times; followed all the advice I could get. It'll eventually work after a few restarts, but only for a short-lived time.

Nevertheless, Wacom pretty much is the prime source for a range of resistible tablets at a decent cost. I regret not going there first after also having insane manufacturing faults with Genius' tablets. Wouldn't recommend their products at the slightest- especially if your workspace is small.