gistofeverything

ANSWERED:New Member Group: Description Approvers

Sock is one person, though. If more people were to bring it up with him directly, I feel like he might realize more people are interested. Even if Sock said that many people were interested, it's different than those people asking him directly. It might translate to showing more interest.

The problem is the reviewing system may need remodeled before we allow descrip mods access.

People did apply last time but it was no one we felt comfortable trusting the job to.

Several mods beside myself have shown interest and spoken about it.

Keep in mind that TJ lurks a lot. Just because he hasn't posted doesn't mean he hasn't followed along in this topic. Not saying people can't PM him, but don't assume he hasn't already read the whole topic.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Ah, that's what I was afraid of, Sock. Remodeling could be a long process. >.< And I suppose I heard wrong about the last applications, then. I know TJ lurks, but it's a bit frustrating to know nothing about any future plans or thoughts since this is a part of DC that really needs some changes. I know he's busy of course, but still.

Edited by Dimar

As Sock said, remodeling the description system may be an issue, and definitely it will take a long time. But that's far beyond our abilities.

What I can do is to keep this thread up and hope that we can get an answer from TJ in the near future.

The problem is the reviewing system may need remodeled before we allow descrip mods access.

Can it be known to us what the current problem is?

I've heard something about it elsewhere but I believe that reaffirming it and letting the others know is benefitial to the discussion.

I suppose I heard wrong about the last applications, too. Someone told me that few people applied, and so TJ assumed few people were interested.

Edited by love_HP

Can it be known to us what the current problem is?

I've heard something about it elsewhere but I believe that reaffirming it and letting the others know is benefitial to the discussion.

I would prefer TJ answer this so I don't get in trouble. I don't think knowing will really help the discussion go much further than it has, though.

People did apply last time but it was no one we felt comfortable trusting the job to.

Herk and Dimar are completely trustworthy! Can we vouch to TJ on their behalf? xd.png

It makes sense that if something was already built to work one way, it would potentially take some time to make it work another way. I still hope this gets worked with even if its just tinkering in the background!

I would love to be a part of this, just wanted to say it again. When I go to review, I am not one to hit the Accept/Reject Buttons "just for fun". I make sure the writing follows the guidelines, and I understand the guidelines are not the Bible of Writing, but just guidelines. If I ever have questions about the writing, I consult others who are more experienced than me.

I support this idea. There are lots of people who do read the descriptions, and take time to consider, and their vote matters. Maybe if 3 different users could approve the description, just to make sure at least one of those people are the people who care, and if it gets all approvals then it goes through. This'll largely help the mass amount of pending descriptions.

Edited by GalaxyPassion13

I support this idea. There are lots of people who do read the descriptions, and take time to consider, and their vote matters. Maybe if 3 different users could approve the description, just to make sure at least one of those people are the people who care, and if it gets all approvals then it goes through. This'll largely help the mass amount of pending descriptions.

But if someone just gets their mates to do that, the "people who care" thing falls over. It needs to be restricted to a specific group of people who can be trusted. I've had descriptions with all sorts of rejections for silly reasons (I remember one in particular: "You can't say that about such a cute dragon" blink.gif) and when the mods got to them they were perfectly fine and got their approval.

We know that this is being worked on behind the scenes anyway... Best that TJ takes the time to get it right.

Exactly, that is what I'm saying. (About the specific group) sorry if I didn't make that clear, I'm just showing my support tongue.gif

Exactly, that is what I'm saying. (About the specific group) sorry if I didn't make that clear, I'm just showing my support tongue.gif

Sorry - I thought you meant any three people. Any three from a fixed and appointed group - sure, but surely the point of such a group would be that any one of them could OK a description - just as the mods do now ? smile.gif

Uhm..Three approvals make sense to me.<3

Assuming a member in group is not a native English speaker, he/she might miss some tiny mistakes which don't affect the whole description. So the three approvals thing is likely to ensure that all approved descriptions are grammatically correct and wording appropriate. Although I believe that all candidates who apply for this position must be very good in grammar and wording, there's always exception, right? Even MODs make tiny mistakes(like punctuations or typos when correcting) accidentally.

Well..anyway, if the description mods are eventually implemented, I would like to see a vote. At least I know someone is/are suitable for this "job" and I believe that people who go through descriptions have the optimal candidates in their minds, too. xD

Edited by Shelybear

To be honest, I don't think there will be enough approvers to do that. 2 votes is sufficient for me; One approver reads the description, and one does proofreading. Or just make them like regular mods with authority in descriptions only.

I agree with the idea. I have written only two descriptions because of the delay I have experienced. I have been waiting almost five months for one of my descritpions to be approved. And there are seven people who have "accepted" it. However, one of my descriptions was approved in less than a week. But I have stopped writing descriptions for my dragons because I am afraid they will take too long to be approved. But I enjoy reviewing other peoples' descriptions and leaving constructive criticism.

But I don't know what the cause of the delay is so I wouldnt be able to argue properly. I do hope that something is done about it though.

I agree with the idea. I have written only two descriptions because of the delay I have experienced. I have been waiting almost five months for one of my descritpions to be approved. And there are seven people who have "accepted" it. However, one of my descriptions was approved in less than a week. But I have stopped writing descriptions for my dragons because I am afraid they will take too long to be approved. But I enjoy reviewing other peoples' descriptions and leaving constructive criticism.

But I don't know what the cause of the delay is so I wouldnt be able to argue properly. I do hope that something is done about it though.

I giggled when I read the first post here, granted it was written in 012, but still. A few days? Now it's more like several months sad.gif

To be honest the delay has kind of killed my creativity in describing them. When my first nebula got described, I described the rest of the nebulas on my scroll to compliment them, giving them stories....and not one has been approved yet. And god forbid there be a spelling error in there and it has to get redone and start over the wait.

Well, I assume it's partly because of the huge backlog and partly because mods don't have enough time to devote to approving descriptions when they have so much other mod business to do plus irl stuff.

So, the solution would be to have a group of people solely for getting through the descriptions, and also possibly adding in a system where a certain amount of accepts and rejects (and even possibly abstains) auto-accept/reject the descriptions.

I giggled when I read the first post here, granted it was written in 012, but still. A few days? Now it's more like several months sad.gif

To be honest the delay has kind of killed my creativity in describing them. When my first nebula got described, I described the rest of the nebulas on my scroll to compliment them, giving them stories....and not one has been approved yet. And god forbid there be a spelling error in there and it has to get redone and start over the wait.

Same here.

Im afraid the wait will just be longer as time goes by. If it took days in 2012, months in 2014, how long will we wait in 2016?

And I agree with you. I love writing. Especially writing descriptions for my dragons. But I don't even bother now. Kind of sad actually since I would have a description for many of my dragons if I knew it wouldn't take months to get approved.

It is really discouraging to have to wait for so long. I recently decided to re-write the mythos for my scroll and it was physically painful removing the few descriptions I did have because I know it's going to take a long time to get new ones looked at and approved. That being said, I get that description moderators are over-worked and under-staffed, so this seems like a really good thing to push for.

There seems to be an increased interest in descriptions as of late, at least from what I've seen since I came here. Like, I've seen a lot more pushing for better description features as of late.

Well, I assume it's partly because of the huge backlog and partly because mods don't have enough time to devote to approving descriptions when they have so much other mod business to do plus irl stuff.

So, the solution would be to have a group of people solely for getting through the descriptions, and also possibly adding in a system where a certain amount of accepts and rejects (and even possibly abstains) auto-accept/reject the descriptions.

I think that could be the problem. So, I agree with having a group dedicated to just approving descriptions. I think that will make descriptions get approved quicker.

Im sure many of us have enough time on our hands to help and get descriptions approved.

I'm still negative to have certain amount of approve/abstain to auto-approve the descriptions. Accidentally approvals may occur.

Having a group dedicating to descriptions is the best answer from my point of view. If people applied and finally got that position, then why can't you trust them? They have already showed their capable of doing it.

Just wanted to give this a prod, with the encyclopidia I feel there will be more interest in descriptions since now there is more cannon information to go off of.

Last I heard anything Sock mentioned that TJ said that the description's would need some recoding for him to set up description approval by a group that weren't mods.

I wanted to set an idea here: Why not treat Description Approvers like chat mods? No forum powers (which Thuban has stated is possible), then give them mod abilities inside the site? The one thing with this is that we don't know if there are other things in the actual site that mods do that conflict with having desctiption mods.