gistofeverything

ANSWERED:New Member Group: Description Approvers

I would say yes to them being able to reject, but are mods currently approving their own descriptions? I don't really like the idea of people approving their own descriptions very much but still...

The mods have the power to do that, but I know that Socky submits her descrips for the queue like one of us mere mortals wink.gif (Ruby doesn't describe much as far as I know.)

I think I remember her saying that she would feel weird about approving her own stuff once, but I might be mistaken.

I think it might be hard from a logistical standpoint to make it impossible for a mod to approve their own descrips, but I guess most of the regular reviewers wouldn't do that anyway, as a) a second pair of eyes for quality control is GOOD and cool.gif getting comments from the queue is half of the fun biggrin.gif

While I really appreciate feedback from players about my descriptions and have found them very fun or with great ideas .... if I input their suggestions (I mean ones other than grammar or spelling ), doesn't that reset me back in the que?? So if someone makes a really fun suggestion and I make the change, does that reset me back in the que to wait even longer?

That's not an issue when there is a team to knock them out.

I've also had players "reject" my description due to my dragons name being "vulgar". And this was AFTER I had hunted down an admin who does both rules and description stuff. I wanted to be certain 200% that my punny name and description made it very clear there wasn't even a hint of inappropriate naming because I wanted to know in advance I was clearly breaking no rules. I can't PM A player and say "there may have been a misunderstanding I talked to admin blahblah and they said I was ok would you mind talking to them to see if you would consider reviewing your decision or telling me what is best to do."

I can do this with mods, admins and team members with some basic decision making powers. I can't with random player feedback. Not that they determine the approval, but their comments could influence someone who does.

Agreed - it also gets quite annoying when you always have to go back and edit just because your not using "proper" english. >.<

Players reject mine because I sometimes use although instead of in spite of.

I have a dragon who's description was accepted before and I went back to add something ... now, I've been waiting for weeks for it to get approved.

Edited by Wallie987

I think I once heard that TJ is too busy to code for Description Approvers...is that why it hasn't been implemented?

Bumping this thread back up (and also sharing my opinion, since I haven't posted here before apparently >.<).

Obviously I strongly support description mods, and I do think description moderators are better than just approvers. They need to be able to reject, and I think that any mods that get hired would already have good reviewing status/trustworthiness, as Sock said. x3 And as for moderating their own descrips, most of the reviewers I know who write descriptions like getting comments and also know that they make mistakes so they appreciate a second set of eyes (or a few sets).

As for the colors of names on the forum, I DO NOT think that they should have any special colors. Definitely not.

RP Approvers get a specially colored name, right? Well, description approvers are actually doing something relevant to the game, whereas RP approvers aren't, so I think it makes just as much sense (if not MORE sense) for them to have colored titles, too. Easier for people to find them and ask for quicker review if its needed then. smile.gif

RP Approvers get a specially colored name, right? Well, description approvers are actually doing something relevant to the game, whereas RP approvers aren't, so I think it makes just as much sense (if not MORE sense) for them to have colored titles, too. Easier for people to find them and ask for quicker review if its needed then. smile.gif

I don't think RP Approvers have a special color. RP Moderators do, but unless I'm mistaken the Approvers are only distinguished by their "member group" field. I've always felt that any description mods should be the same way.

Bumping because we could really use some more active and better descrip mods than myself. Users deserve that much.

Bumping because we could really use some more active and better descrip mods than myself. Users deserve that much.

While I'm all for this we might need more but certainly not BETTER mods than you, Socks - you have a dedication and patience for the job that will be hard to rival for anyone (and no one is perfect).

While there may eventually be descrip mods who may be more active, there will never be better.

Seriously, Sock, you ROCK! Always remember that very important bit of geology! <3

I have a 12 hour job but I might be able to proofread a few hours a day if you need more volunteers. Can I start part-time and see how it goes?

I'm very good at catching spelling errors and grammatical errors, and might even enjoy some of the better ones.

I don't have my soul anymore, do you take a down payment in kittens for the application fee? Where do I sign up?

I have a 12 hour job but I might be able to proofread a few hours a day if you need more volunteers. Can I start part-time and see how it goes?

I'm very good at catching spelling errors and grammatical errors, and might even enjoy some of the better ones.

I don't have my soul anymore, do you take a down payment in kittens for the application fee? Where do I sign up?

We can always use more volunteers to review descriptions. Account -> Review User Descriptions

If we did apps similar to last time when we looked (which is what I would like to see), I doubt we'd take anyone who hadn't done prior reviewing for mods. How can we judge how active you'll be and what kind of decisions you'd make if you haven't reviewed yet? =o

I would really, really like to be a description mod reviewer. I can take time from almost every day of the week to do this. I really enjoyed helping with the backlog reviewing parties we did.

Edit: Socky, we are exactly 1 year apart from joining the forums! Just noticed it, and thought that was neat biggrin.gif

Edited by xeyla

I think this is an amazing idea! biggrin.gif Either this or (I'm pretty sure this was mentioned somewhere) a feature where a certain number of accepts would result in an approved description.

I would definitely help and fill out an app. I like reviewing descriptions in the first place, and more people approving would definitely help.

I do hope this is implemented.

Just heard the queue is 5,000-6,000 now. The numbers are saying we need more description mods.

I strongly support this idea. With the que getting so high, users will rarely have their descriptions approved. With the addition of Description Approvers or allowing all users to approve or deny would get the que down greatly.

Personally, Im not sure about all users being able to. Some might only approve as some might only reject. Id go with hand picked approvers, Description Mods if you will. That way, they will actually approve and deny accordingly, and not just because they can.

While a bit late to voice my support, this is desperately in need of implementation.

In the current state, a player cannot possibly hope to have their description(s) approved without manually contacting a mod, which definitely isn't how things are supposed to be.

Still support this, and I still wish to be a part of the group.

While I would not want to apply to any mod admin task group no matter how simple, I really would love this to happen. I have a few descriptions MONTHS old without any end in sight and this sure makes me not want to bother.

Which is sad because outside of the approval or denial officially being made, or maybe a report for a foul or rule breaking description abuse, this is one of those handful of activities that can be completely player promoted, involved, interactive, project oriented fun and awarded.

The description people and groups have started doing more to get more people involved. But that kind of backlog thwarts a lot of their effort because someone gets excited about writing, then ... months of nothing cause discouragement.

While I would not want to apply to any mod admin task group no matter how simple, I really would love this to happen. I have a few descriptions MONTHS old without any end in sight and this sure makes me not want to bother.

Which is sad because outside of the approval or denial officially being made, or maybe a report for a foul or rule breaking description abuse, this is one of those handful of activities that can be completely player promoted, involved, interactive, project oriented fun and awarded.

The description people and groups have started doing more to get more people involved. But that kind of backlog thwarts a lot of their effort because someone gets excited about writing, then ... months of nothing cause discouragement.

Yes, this is extremely frustrating for people who bothers with descriptions. But for the time being, you may want to approach a mod by yourself and request to have your descriptions approved. See the second post of this thread for details.

You're right about the problem. There are more people writing descriptions, which is supposed to be a good thing, but created a massive interest-killing backlog instead due to description approval not catching up to the growth.

I'm back to more regular reviewing now that I'm back online. I'd still love to see Description Mods implemented.

Nat and CNR are very correct in what they said about the current process having problems. More people might be encouraged to review too if the queue moved more and they didn't have a massive wall of descriptions intimidating them. Description-specific mods wouldn't stay 100% on top of things constantly, but once the current backlog got worked down then it would be a much more reasonable waiting time for people who've submitted.

Applications were held once, a long time ago. Even if nobody signed up then, I know quite a few people who would be interested in applying now. If apps were held once, why can they not be held again? I'd like to know if there's some sort of game coding that has changed since then that's preventing description mods from being created until it gets reworked. I'd love an answer from TJ about whether this is something he's considering to get done or what his thoughts are...

Applications were held once, a long time ago. Even if nobody signed up then, I know quite a few people who would be interested in applying now. If apps were held once, why can they not be held again? I'd like to know if there's some sort of game coding that has changed since then that's preventing description mods from being created until it gets reworked. I'd love an answer from TJ about whether this is something he's considering to get done or what his thoughts are...

Maybe someone should ask him? I think it would be faster to catch his attention via PM or IRC than waiting for him to stumble into this thread.

Maybe someone should ask him? I think it would be faster to catch his attention via PM or IRC than waiting for him to stumble into this thread.

To be honest I'm not very comfortable PMing him myself. I know Sock has tried to get an answer from him but there hasn't been much to report about a response. Talking to him directly is definitely something that's been brought up in descripdoom as an option, if he'll answer.