Keekeecat

Imperial or metric?

Time for covering distances fluctuates so wildly I consider it quite worthless as a measurement...

Also, I'm a preferrer of 24 hours, and day-month-year.

The 24 hour clock is the one I use, but it's a side-effect of having worked in the aviation industry. Most people I know that have never worked at the airport (or been in the military, who also run on 24h times) don't use it.

Day/month/year just makes sense to me for dates written shorthand. It's less confusing written longhand, as the month is given it's name, and therefore less important, but I hate it when shorthand dates are written month/day/year. Confuses the hell out of me (Yes, by the way, that does mean I always have to stop and remind myself that when you guys in the States say 9/11 you don't actually mean the 9th of November).

Also, I'm a preferrer of 24 hours, and day-month-year.

That's how my country works. wink.gif (I never learn the difference between AM and PM. >.<)

Oh, and we use Celsius, I forgot to mention that earlier. unsure.gif

Edited by CatCreature

Day/month/year just makes sense to me for dates written shorthand. It's less confusing written longhand, as the month is given it's name, and therefore less important, but I hate it when shorthand dates are written month/day/year. Confuses the hell out of me (Yes, by the way, that does mean I always have to stop and remind myself that when you guys in the States say 9/11 you don't actually mean the 9th of November).

I use day/month/year as well, but we seem to do it interchangeably here which is infuriating. I lucked out because my birthday is on august 8th(08/08), so when I'm filling out forms that require my birthday I don't need to ask someone if it's dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy since it's the same for me either way.

LOL, there's a bit in the Penguins of Madagascar where Private is measuring how high a balloon has floated into the air, and he counts in metres. Skipper slaps him and says this:

"Private, you know how I feel about the metric system!"

But it drives me insane when people use imperial measurements because I like to measure in whole numbers, so 2.5 centimetres being an inch doesn't quite get to me.

Edited by Keekeecat

Here in the barren North we use the good ol' Metric system. Or we're supposed to use it, anyways. We sometimes still talk about our height in feet and inches and our weight in pounds (I usually use the Metric system for these things, since I'm European). Everything else is generally Metric, and I love it. It's so much simpler, since everything is in nice round numbers.

I also use Celsius, the Fahrenheit system never made sense to me. I use the 12-hour clock, but I'm very familiar with the 24-hour clock since that's what we use when we speak Polish. I only use AM/PM in English, since seventeen o'clock just sounds really weird to me tongue.gif I say half seven instead of seven thirty (it's the British way, I think, but my parents have always said it like that).

Question for you guys: what day is the first day of the week? For me it's Monday, but everyone tells me I'm wrong and it's Sunday.

Yeah I use imperial like the painfully obvious American I am. hahah.

Not that I don't know metric, the temperature conversions are a pain though.

Monday is what we consider the start of week here. All of our calendars are likewise printed with Monday first on the left, Sunday last on the right.

(Also, in my language, half seven would be 6:30 . tongue.gif )

I use the Imperial system, though where I live we all call it the Standard system. Never heard it called "Imperial" before. (Unless they're two different things.) I use it in science class and it does make math easier, but I grew up with it so I think in inches and feet and miles, not centimeters and meters and kilometers. Though I do wish we'd abandon Fahrenheit for Celsius. Celsius is based off the freezing point of water, makes perfect sense. Fahrenheit? Not so much.

As for time I use 12 hour. It sounds weird to me to say "twenty o'clock" as opposed to 8pm or just 8. I have been known to write DD/MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY by accident, but I did put 2011 on the top of my homework the other day, so...

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

The metric system. Every time I read the lord of the rings I have to keep converting leagues to km so I have some idea as to just how far away everything is from everything else

as for MM/DD/YYYY - Who's idea was it to swap the day and month around in the first place? Days are smaller than months so it makes sense to work from smallest unit of time to largest

We use metric sistem all the way, it is way more simpel than imperial, but i do know som basic imperial mesurements, as for temperature, i culd never lern to convert celsius to fahrenheit as it is to strange for me. As for time, eve tho we use 24h time i have it set on 12 on my phone, and even if we shuld say it is 18 o clock, i say it is 6 o clock, if you look on all the analog clocks on your hand on or any kind of wall it has 12 hours on its clock face.

I use the metric system all the way.

When I don't understand something, I go to a conversion site.

bit of both.

I use metric for measuring short distances, like the height of a table or whatever, and for fluids and cooking weights, because that's what they taught us in school.

They never taught us person-weight or long distances though, so I do use miles for long-distance and Stone for weight.

Temperature has always been Celsius. Even my parents don't use Fahrenheit. Pretty sure my GRAN doesn't even use Fahrenheit. My old science teacher, who was REALLY old, used to tell people to scrub out their mouth with soap for just SAYING Fahrenheit.

As for the date, I'm a DD/MM/YY Brit. well, that or D/M/YY. I'm too lazy to put the 0's in, when I actually bother to write the date at all.

As for time I use 12 hour. It sounds weird to me to say "twenty o'clock" as opposed to 8pm or just 8.

you do realise you don't actually SAY 20 o'clock, right? you'd say it in 12-hour out loud.

Question for you guys: what day is the first day of the week? For me it's Monday, but everyone tells me I'm wrong and it's Sunday.

I think officially it's sunday, but even the term 'Weekend' says otherwise.

Edited by dracocharky

I use the metric system and the imperial system. Since I live in the USA, I am used to using inches, feet, and miles. I am also used to measuring the temperature in Fahrenheit as opposed to Celsius. But, often times when doing a lab in Chemistry, the directions use units from the metric system. Therefore, I am now starting to use both systems. smile.gif

I use imperial in my everyday life, metric at work.

As for time I use 12 hour. It sounds weird to me to say "twenty o'clock" as opposed to 8pm or just 8.

That's because it's not 'twenty o'clock.' It's 'twenty-hundred hours.' 'O'clock' is for 12hr clock only.

Metric and I love it smile.gif For time... ugh, we Hungarians tend to overcomplicate. Like, at 7:10 you might hear "in five minutes it will be quarter-past-seven". Or simply seven-ten. smile.gif

Edited by Darth Krande

Stuck with imperial here in the States. I VASTLY prefer metric and really wish we'd switch... dry.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

user posted image

Greetings from central Europe, where we use strictly metric, Celsius for temperature, DD/MM/YYYY format (well more like DD. MM. YYYY, but you get it), and both 12-hour and military time about equally.

Metric makes so much more sense, imperial is just confusing as hell. I mean, I still haven't figured out how the Fahrenheit scale works, and tbh have no desire to - for when I don't understand a measurement on the internet, I have an online converter handy. I'm glad I got to grow up with metric, since I think I have less difficulty in science that way, too. (My American AP Chem professors will still occasionally use the imperial system though, when not talking strictly scientifically but like giving a real-life example or something, and I'm just like, what the hell are you on about?? xd.png Luckily that's not so important for the class.)

Edited by Orlageddon

I go by either or depending.

I walk or Ride in KM

I measure small things by inches

I cook in Fahrenheit

I check the temp outside in Celsius.

Metric all the way smile.gif I know roughly how big an inch is, but I'm totally lost on any other imperial measurements. They just... don't make sense D:

A mixture.

If it's 1cm or smaller I'll measure it in metric

If there are people that height I measure in feet and inches

Intermediate distances and running distances might be either, depending on context and my mood

Longer distances are miles, car speeds are miles per hour

I think of weights in kg or g, though if I'm baking and the scales are set to lb and oz and those are in the recipe I'll stay that way

Volumes (and by extension, concentrations) in metric

Temperature in Celcius (for weather, central heating, ovens) or Kelvin (for scientific calculations)

Mostly the metric ones since I'm a biochemist and I don't drive.