TalonCat

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RP

((So apparently, 'having finals soon' for me means 'use every opportunity to distract yourself'. I'm such a good student))

"The fun is winning fairly against a cheating opponent, which proves you're that much better than them," Zagan replied, smiling a bit at the smirking ghost. The 'and laugh in their face later' was left out, since it'd be a bit out of character right now. Besides, Zagan never cheated in battle (his ability didn't count, since it was natural); his father had made sure of that. Only that one time when he had switched Static's items before a battle and trashed him in front of some females he was flirting with. But that one didn't count either, it was more of a prank on a friend than cheating.

"Now before I forget my manners, my name is Zagan - a Mienshao, though you may already be familiar with my breed since you knew my type," he said, bending one of his arms in front of him and doing a small bow. "May I ask the name you go by, miss?"

Edited by Puredark006

Bree watched the Flygon shoot down the stairs, then sighed. She would have to leave this place at some point, and now was as good a time as any. She floated down the stairs, hesitating when she reached the bottom. She didn't have any money on her - she'd been asleep when she was whisked off to that cave and it was lucky she had anything on her at all. Then, she remembered the Gold Ribbon. She plucked it from her ear telekinetically and set it down in front of the innkeeper, mumbled a goodbye, and left, heading for the group of pokemon gathered in the town square.

She listened for a while in silence. The blue flying pokemon was definitely of a species she'd never studied before, but was he really a legendary pokemon? She'd never heard any tales about Latios - but to be fair, she hadn't heard any tales about most of the legendaries anyway. She scanned the crowd and her eyes settled on a Mienshao, who seemed to be ignoring the legendary and talking to a Mismagius. She floated toward him, dodging around a few children trying to see over the backs of the others. "Um...excuse me?" She mumbled at the Mienshao. "Did we, that is, weren't you, ah, one of the pokemon in that cave with us?" She fell to a nearly inaudible volume at the end, hoping desperately that she wasn't wrong.

"Someone should smack that oversized..." Cobalt strangled the air violently. "Arrogant, egotistic--"

"OK, that's enough, Cobalt," Renaissance said warningly. "Calm down."

Cobalt continued muttering profanities, while Rena tried to get a look at Latios. "So what happens now?" She asked Cobalt. "We made it through the cave, but what do we do now?"

Edited by Techno_Elf

"I am Agatha," She answered with a bow. "Zagan huh? Doesn't really sound like a common name, for a Mienshao,"

Agatha was about to press further, but a telepathic voice interrupted her.

"Did we, that is, weren't you, ah, one of the Pokémon in that cave with us?"

"Oh! So the two of you were also caught up in this nasty business?" She said.

Agatha didn't seem sympathetic at all. Instead, she seemed delighted. "Do tell! I want to know everything. What was it like? Were you Terrified? Oh-hoohoohoo this is too good. Finally something interesting happens that I didn't have to cause!"

'Cause'? Now, that Agatha sure looked like the type to know how to have fun herself. It was by that point when he heard a timid-sounding voice in his head. Turning, he saw a Pokemon that looked like a floating mass of gel; he remembered her because she had looked annoyed at a three-headed dragon, and Zagan had thought for a second a fight may break out near Q.

"Indeed I was," he answered, a statement followed by Agatha's questions.

"Very sorry for not providing suitable entertainment, but I missed the interesting part," he said, looking first at the Ghost-type and then at the other one. Zagan made sure to add a slight air of uncomfortableness around him - the new Pokemon was most likely a Psychic-type, something very strong against Fighting ones like Mienshao. He hoped she didn't take offense, but his act came first.

"We were teleported to a cave, and the Smeargle caused a fissure, like the Meowth said. I was one of the Pokemon that stayed in the upper level, though I got separated from the main group in the chaos. There was a roar..." He paused there, remembering something the Meowth on the lamppost had said, and snapped his fingers. "Palkia's roar. I was with a cub back then, and he disappeared. I was carrying him, and he literally wasn't there the next second." He sighed, resting his chin in his right paw, elbow on his left one. "I suppose the same happened to the others, since I only found the Smeargle later. He went to sleep, and when he woke up, he suddenly knew how to get out of the cave and that there was a town nearby. That's everything from my side of the story," he finished, glancing at the Meowth and Latios before alternating a look between the two females. Zagan didn't tell them the odd glow on the grass when the Smeargle went to sleep the second time, though, since he wasn't sure what it was himself.

Maybe later, if it turned out to be important.

"What about you, miss? Were you in the group that Meowth mentioned?" he asked the newcomer, curious about hearing another point of view.

"Um! Yes!" Bree glanced at the Mismagius. She seemed a little too excited to hear their story, and it was making Bree even more fidgety than usual. "Well...he summed it up, pretty well, though. I, ah, don't really have a-anything to add." She didn't see much of a point in mentioning her temper tantrum back in the cave - she was still a little embarrassed (though not regretting any bit of it) and the fewer people knew, the better. Had that rescue team and the other pokemon above the fissure been teleported away by Palkia's roar as well? "Well, ah..." She wasn't very comfortable with prolonged conversations with strangers but couldn't find a reason to excuse herself, either. After all, she hadn't even figured out where she was going to go from here. So, for lack of a better option, she stayed where she was.

"Is something the matter?" Zagan asked the Psychic-type, tilting his head a bit. She had started looking uncomfortable after answering, as if she wasn't sure what to do next. Maybe because of Agatha? There was no way for her to know Zagan's true type, after all, unless she had met so many Zoruas and Zoroarks that she suspected every single Pokemon there to be one. And if she had, he really wanted to know where; even with all the other Pokemon that went through his village, the only other one from his species he had ever seen was his own mother, and that didn't count.

Zagan sneaked a look at the Legendary and the male Meowth before remembering something they had said, and added, "Say, is your group by any chance truly going to find Darkrai?" He was looking at the gel Pokemon right in the eyes now, very interested in the answer.

"Oh well, I guess it's nice that not everyone's such a windbag like that Meowth over there," Agatha replied. "I mean he just went on and on!"

Agatha found Bree's anxiety to be quite refreshing. As a Mismagius, Agatha fed off of the energy produced by negative emotions, and Bree's current mood was like a fine Oran berry tea to her. Zagan however; his mood didn't seem quite in sync with his body language. Oh he's definitely hiding something all right She thought to herself.

"Say, is your group by any chance truly going to find Darkrai?"

"Find Darkrai? Ha!" Agatha interrupted, " If he's strong enough to take down Palkia single handedly, then what could you hope to do?"

Bree stiffened at Zagan's remark. Was she bothering them? "Ah! N-no! Not at all!" She waved her arms wildly in a "no" gesture, nearly hitting Agatha in the face. "It's just...never mind. And..." She wasn't sure what to say about the Darkrai matter, either. She definitely wanted to go on an adventure - she'd been training for years to become an official rescue team member, after all - but could she really just run off with a bunch of pokemon she didn't know that well to save the world from some shadowy threat that she didn't really believe in? It sounded absurd. "It depends on what the others think, I guess," she offered.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Latios shook his head,

"The Legendaries abandoned their guardians centuries ago. At least in that, this 'Tyndall' Pokemon was lying. Nonetheless, it doesn't seem that Ditto fits what we've seen in attacks by Darkrai, so I'll have to assume that he did do what he said he did..."

Latios looked at the ground. His eyes seemed like they were analyzing a puzzle, or a card trick; they darted back and forth, as if seeing a pattern. He mumbled to himself,

"We've assumed it was Darkrai's doing because of the nightmares, but maybe... No, but that would be exactly what he'd do to confuse us... Ack..."

His head darted up, and he announced,

"Excuse me! Every Pokemon should be aware of the rest of the situation currently at hand!"

Again, most of the crowd died down respectfully. While he spoke, Latios scanned the crowd, as if looking for someone.

"What we know is that there have been Pokemon attacking the Legendaries, and that these Pokemon appeared as if they were asleep with their eyes open. We have assumed this far that the Pokemon behind this is Darkrai; however, we may be wrong. There are many other Pokemon who may cause nightmares, and many that may be able to possess other Pokemon. The incidents may easily have been caused by a group of Pokemon, provided that they have continued throughout the centuries somehow; with this, too, I'd ask you not to point fingers at any particular Pokemon or type."

The combined effort of Pokemon will definitely solve this mystery.

Latios leaned back slightly, as if he'd washed his hands of the matter.

"Whether you help us or not is up to you. If you attempt to and you chase Darkrai, you might be wrong or you might get hurt. We have one dubious witness and the whispers of the Legendaries to support his guilt - that's all. My suggestion would be to enlist the help of the Lake Spirits, and to afterwards seek Kyurem's guidance. Seek Kyurem's guidance... very, VERY carefully."

The lone Eon bowed his head,

"I'm sorry if this has troubled any of you, and I'd like to thank you for your hospitality."

He smiled ruefully,

"Good morning everyone."

With that, he disappeared, and the crowd's whispers turned to worried ruckus.

"...A group of Pokemon?"

"That sounds a lot like Ghost types, with the nightmares and the possession and-"

"Seriously, Pine? He just said not to do that!"

"Just saying, jeez!"

"It sure sounds like Darkrai, though - that Meowth guy said it was Darkrai!"

"Teacher's gonna slap you, Rufus!"

Mister and Missus Sarto had quietly found their way back to the crowd, frowning at the conversation. However, both being teachers, they had at this point recognized that for every convert there were fifty people forgetting their schooling.

"Throw an Aura Sphere to his face, for starters. I'm not afraid of Dark-types, " Zagan said in response to Agatha's remark, tone a bit more serious now. However, he had to agree with her; taking down a Legendary of all things would be next to impossible to do.

But that only applied if you were crazy enough to go against them by yourself.

"It depends on what the others think, I guess," spoke the voice in his head. Yes, a group would be the best choice. And even though he wanted to return to his village, this was more important to him. Maybe they could make a stop there if it was on the way? Milo was a Bug-type, he could help...

He was going to add something when Latios spoke again, making most Pokemon grow quiet. He, too, stopped to listen to the new info. Lake Guardians? Kyurem? He couldn't remember much about them. Something about losing your memory came to mind, but he didn't know if that was about the Guardians or the other.

"A search for the Legends, huh? Sounds like a plan," he said, paw in front of his mouth as if he was in thought. He then nodded to himself. "If you're planning on accompanying your group, Miss, kindly allow me to come too. My name is Zagan, and there's something I need to confirm in that quest." He then turned to the Ghost-type, questioning, "How about you, Agatha? You seemed to be interested in this."

(Hey, just got accepted... now where to fit myself in)

Haldor gazed up at the Legendary Pokemon, he was still struggling to believe that Latios was this close. He had heard so many stories, in truth he was struggling to believe how mighty the legendaries were based solely off this Latios, who seemed not at all high and mighty.

Haldor paused, if what the Latios said and even pokemon such as Palkia were defeated he would be worried.

The Latios soon finished his address to the crowd and as conversation began to flow Haldor looked around. There was a small group that seemed to be separate from the majority. They consisted of a Mismagius a Reuniclus and a Mienshao. Haldor frowned, the action causing flakes of his rust to fall to the ground. A fighting type surrounded by a ghost and a psychic type wasn't the norm. His instincts kicked in and he raised himself from where he lay and leaned over the crowd towards the group.

"Excuse me but is everything alright over here" He asked suspiciously looking from the Mismagius to the Mienshao.

Atto dug an envelope out of his mailbag and, after double-checking the address, slid it into the red mailbox. "Done!" He hopped in celebration. It was a slow day - this was his last delivery of the morning, and after he got back it would be back to waiting around at the post office. He turned and looked in the direction of the town square. There seemed to be some sort of event in Laos today. He visited the town often enough, but it was usually a pretty quiet place. He tilted his head to the side, pondering, then decided that he could afford to check it out before going back.

"Good morning everyone."

And with that, the odd blue pokemon disappeared. Atto blinked, then sighed. Whatever it was, it seemed he'd just missed it. The crowd seemed worried, but he couldn't understand what they were talking about. "Excuse me?" He approached a lucario standing in the crowd and tapped her on the shoulder with a horn. "I just got here. What happened?"

--

Bree whirled around and stared up at the Steelix. She'd noticed him in the crowd before, but now that he was leaning in towards them and not just sitting coiled in a pile, he was a lot more intimidating. "H-h-hello!" She squeaked. "No! We're fine! Just, talking!" You're probably just making the situation worse, she reprimanded herself. At least try to be polite! "Um, that is, we were just discussing the issue here. I was, Zagan and I were trapped in the cave, and she was, uh, just asking us, for more, details, about that." She smiled unsteadily.

Agatha floated back to avoid Bree's arm. She was slightly annoyed, but the souring mood of the crowd was too delicious for her to care.

Agatha considered Zagan's question. "Oh I don't know," she replied, "I'm not really the heroic type, you see." Agatha smirked briefly, I'm the one the 'hero's' chase after. "But on the other hand, all this sounds like something that I don't want to miss."

A large shadow drew Agatha's attention. It was being cast by a Steelix that she had mistaken for a pile of boulders. As it spoke, small flakes of rust flaked off, lightly coating Agatha.

For the first time, her smile vanished. Agatha shook off what rust she could, before turning to face the Steelix. "Oi! Rusty," she snapped, "Watch where you're shedding." There was a noticeable venom in her tone that hadn't been there before, but as soon as it came, it was gone, and Agatha was back to her usual self. "And everything is fine, thank you very much," she continued. "I swear, everyone's acting like they're expecting to be attacked for no reason."

Not that I wouldn't she added silently, it's just that I don't feel like it right now.

"Weren't they just talking about not jumping to conclusions and type stereotypes?"

Not that I'm the best advocate for that either.

=================================================

After Latios left, Leo began to make his way through the crowd, lost in thought.

Regardless, the truth lies with Darkrai He concluded, but for now, Latios has the right idea. We need allies, we need a plan, and I need a team.

Zagan's first thought was that night had come way too early before noticing the giant shadow now covering him. Looking up, he saw a Steelix glancing down at the group, metal hide shinning in the light as if made of gold. "Excuse me but is everything alright over here" he said in a booming voice, a bit of rust falling from its massive jaw. Zagan's first instinct was to put some distance between them, which would be out of character for a Fighting-type, so he did his best to suppress it. Not that his second instinct of climbing the Steel-type to check out the look from the top of its head was that much better.

The gel Pokemon (he needed to ask her name later) quickly stammered in reply, followed by Agatha's more confident and snapping response. "It's as they say, Mister, but thank you very much for your concern," he said, taking a few steps to the side so he could look at the new arrival without forcing his neck too much. At least this time he had remembered to add the rust to his Mienshao illusion, unlike the cave where he forgot to portray the soot. Now that he wasn't directly under the Steelix, he started taking it off, the Mienshao translating the movements as it started preening his whiskers.

"Please, no need to be rude," he admonished Agatha, though in reality Zagan himself was anything but polite. But hey, had to stay in character. And maybe next time he did a Fighting-type he could add a British accent too. "He was merely concerned."

Haldors' eyes moved from the Reuniclus to the Mienshao. He decided he would ignore the Mismagius for this the time being.

"I am sorry for frightening you child, days as a rescuer seems to imprint the need to help out pokemon, and a fighting type speaking with a ghost and a psychic is not all too common," Haldor said politely to the Reuniclus. His eyes then turned to the Mienshao, his gaze had glimpsed something odd in its eyes,hesitation? He wondered for a moment whether it had recently evolved.

Haldor then set his gaze upon the Mismagius, he knew the type of pokemon they were and frankly they did not see eye to eye. Haldor grinned slightly at the irony, as he lowered his head down so that his eyes were level with hers.

"I would hold your tone, while a fighting type can not hurt you and i don't think this Reuniclus would wish to hurt you I am not torn. I have been around longer than many pokemon and have seen and done more. Steelix's don't rust." Haldor paused briefly and moved his tail around to scratch at the flakes, as they fell harmlessly in front of the ghost type. "I got this condition from a lifetime of digging to save the injured, mostly in caverns which were too close to active volcanoes. I humbly wish that you would hold your tongue against me until you too have done something so noble," he continued in a calm manner. He snorted, a gust of air billowed into the Mismagius face.

Cobalt looked at the Scolipede next to her. "Well, all I nkow is that Latios showed up all of sudden, and he said stuff about Darkrai kidnapping all the other Legendaries, except for a few, and then...I don't know really," she concluded with a shrug.

The Steelix had just touched a Raw nerve. Her usual smirk vanished completely, to be replaced with a venomous scowl. She floated up until she was at eye level with the Steelix.

"Listen you," she hissed, "Just because you were part of a rescue team does not win you any respect in my book. I've met my fair share of 'rescue teams;' every one of them either petty thugs who go around calling themselves 'rescue teams' to make the authorities look the other way, Idiotic children pretending to be big shot heroes, or rich brats who buy their way to success."

Agatha's agitation was clearly visible. Her cloak and scarf billowed as if blowing in a strong wind, but no wind blew.

"I've seen teams beat up passerby in dungeons for no reason, robbing Kecleon shops and getting away scotch free for it, and when all that's done, they charge outrageous fees for their services. But the worst part is their Bloated, Self-righteous , EGOS! So don't you dare think for a second that you deserve my respect."

Agatha's outburst had drawn the attention of several Pokémon in the crowd, including...

"Agatha, that's enough!"

Leo stepped out of the crowd. "Stand back everyone," he warned, "Agatha is a wanted outlaw."

"Speak of the devil," Agatha sneered. "Fancy meeting you here, rich boy, where's your good looking friend?"

"Allen's missing," Leo answered.

"Exactly," Agatha interjected, her smirk returning once more, "Which means you lack the one element that was always crucial in your strategy. But what's to say that he didn't just decide to finally ditch you?"

That comment stung Leo. He flinched.

Agatha chose that moment to act.

She swopped down, right in front of Leo, and unleashed a blast of sound.

Hyper voice.

Leo was knocked out instantly by the attack. The cone of sound blasted out into the crowd, defining everyone caught in it's way.

Agatha blinked in surprise, then snickered. "Seems I lost my temper there," she rasped." She then turned to leave. "I don't recommend following me," she warned, "You wouldn't want anyone else getting hurt."

The Steelix, who apparently was on a rescue team (and Zagan here had to restrain himself from questioning him about it), lowered his head to have a chat with Agatha, who frankly did not seem to appreciate the gesture. She was clearly getting mad as she hissed at the Steelix, and Zagan himseelf was kind of taken aback. Just what kind of rescue teams had she met? True, they weren't all good; take any group and there's always going to be black sheep, after all. But most of them had good intentions, and the ones the Ghost-type were talking about were more the exception than the rule.

"Agatha, that's enough!"

It was the male Meowth from before, the one that had spoken from the lamppost. Agatha was an outlaw? What had she even done? He didn't have time to ask as the mentioned Pokemon let out a scream that knocked the Meowth right off his feet, and Zagan had to cover his ears. He hadn't been in the attack's radio, so his illusion was still intact, but he had to concentrate a bit to keep it that way. His eyes had flashed light-blue for a second there, but he hoped everyone was too concentrated on the disturbance to notice. It had been too quick for someone to see unless they had been looking at him directly.

The Ghost-type, satisfied, floated away. Zagan considered going after her, but if she attacked the Meowth she could attack him too, and he wanted to keep his illusion on, specially in front of so many Pokemon he didn't know.

However, Fighting-types were 'justice-seeking' kind of Pokemon, and he gave himself a second to curse that fact before turning to the Steelix and the Psychic-type. "I apologize for cutting our meeting short, Mister, Miss. If you would please make sure that Meowth is alright," he said before going to catch up with the Ghost-type.

"Latios?" Atto's eyes widened. He didn't know much about the legendaries - the explorers back home usually talked about their own exploits - but he was familiar with most of the basic legends. If the Pokemon everyone had been gathered around was Latios, did that mean the rest of them existed too? This was getting interesting "Well, miss - " suddenly, a blast of sound echoed through the crowd and Atto whipped his head around. A Mismagius floated triumphantly over a fainted Meowth, and she turned to leave. "Sorry," Atto said to the Lucario, then galloped after the Mienshao following the ghost pokemon. "Hey!" He yelled as he caught up. "What's happening here?"

--

Bree cried out and clamped her hands over her ears. Even though she was standing behind Agatha, her ears were still ringing after the attack ended. "Ow...oh!" She hurried towards the meowth and landed beside him. "Hey, uh..." She realized that she didn't actually get his name during the time in the cave. She would have to fix that once he woke up, she decided. "Are you alright?" She wanted to do something, but she only had an apple and a cleanse orb on hand, neither of which would help much right now. She turned to face the Steelix. "Do you, er, happen to have any oran berries on hand? Or reviver seeds?"

"Don't worry, Mister, it's all under control," Zagan told the Scolipede, that had galloped from somewhere in the crowd to catch up with them. He had to look up to be able to look at the other in the face, height difference accentuated by the fact Zagan preferred to walk and run on all fours. His Mienshao illusion was trotting normally, though, so Zagan was the only one aware of that fact. "Slight disturbance," he offered as an explanation, before sprinting to Agatha's side.

"What was that about?" he questioned her, giving his voice a tone of slight wariness and exasperation. In reality, though, what Zagan was feeling the most was curiosity. Then again, that was what he felt 80% of the time when presented with new experiences. He just hoped the Ghost-type decided not to attack again, so close to the massive Bug-type - Scolipede were poisonous, and it could end really bad if someone touched him and he had the Poison Point ability.

Haldor glared at the Mismagius, attacking him was one thing, he could withstand it. Attacking another pokemon, especially a rescuer, was something else, Haldor still had pride in his work and his respect for others who sought to help was as strong as his determination to help those in need. The Meowth was both. With surprising speed Haldor brought his lower half in reach his tail swiftly at the Mismagius the iron tip gleaming in the sun. He had been tempted to try a bind but ghost types were immune. Haldor forced himself to ignore the Reuniclus, bringing in this Mismagius was the priority.

(Not really sure how to battle at the moment, so we'll see)

Agatha turned to face Zagan. "I think I made myself clear," she rasped.

Agatha's shadow suddenly shot out towards the pseudo Mienshao. A black fist shot out of the ground at Zagan's feet, delivering a powerful uppercut aimed at the illusion's face. However, as Agatha's Shadow Sneak was carried out, the Steelix's Iron Tail made contact. Agatha was knocked out of the air. However, she wasn't finished yet. She let the momentum gained from the attack to propel herself underground, phasing through like any ghost type could.

(Hmm would going underground ruin the effect of levitate?)

Haldor snarled as the Mismagius faded underground. He turned to the Reuniclus, "I'm sorry child but i do not have either of those items on me, perhaps one of us should go to the store". Haldor looked over at the Scolipede, "I have seen you before, you work as a courier of some kind do you not, if so would you kindly carry out this task, I feel that a psychic type if focused," he glanced at the Reuniclus uncertainly. "A psychic type may be able to sense our Mismagius friend before she attacked," Haldor said looking directly at the Reuniclus.

Lastly on his agenda, he looked a the Mienshao, "I hope you are alright, I didn't see whether her attack made contact."

The shadow attack hit Zagan before he could evade it, right before the Steelix hit the ghost. The massive tail hit the ground, making a small could of dust as Zagan was pushed backwards, a magenta glow enveloping his body. He slightly cursed when his illusion shattered, but had a contingency plan since he was kind of forced to follow the Ghost-type.

The quickly dispersing dust gave him the half a second he needed to correct his illusion - he knew anyone looking in that direction would have seen the Mienshao glowing before the Steelix's attack made contact, which meant he couldn't keep pretending or say he was a Ditto. However, there was one other trick he could use before admitting play-time was over.

Coughing a bit (the attack hadn't hurt that much, thanks to his resistance to Ghost-types), he shook his head, muttering, "Darn Fighting-types. Basically forced to intervene," before walking towards the Steelix and Scolipede, knowing that what they'd see would be a tiny, fluffy Zorua, the now-too-big-for-him Detect Band the Mienshao had worn tied around his furry neck. He snickered at the Steel-type's question, sitting down and scratching his ear with his hind foot, Zorua illusion doing the same. "I'm a Dark-type, so no problem there," he said with a smug smirk, his illusion giving his voice a juvenile tone. "That ghost, though, was behaving like it was her time of the month. Gonna go after her?" Arceus, did it felt good to make jokes he couldn't when he was acting before. The thought alone made him let out a bark of laughter.

At least his Zorua impersonation was extremely close to his real personality. After all, he was copying himself, and he hadn't evolved that long ago.