georgexu94

Nocturne dragons

Do u think this is a good idea?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed that the nocturne dragons change their form during day and night and they change during 6 am and 6 pm This is nice but I saw that the system uses EST which not everyone uses. I experienced the blue night form during day time and the stone day form during night. My suggestion is that the network uses the local time of the user- that it changes with the user's local time. This can be done by asking for the location of the user when registering. smile.gif

Edited: I created a poll: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=143234

Edited by georgexu94

I love it this way. It also means my zombies are visible while I have breakfast !

I love it this way. It also means my zombies are visible while I have breakfast !

What do u mean? Zombies are visible all day through *confused*

All day on each last day of the month.

And Fuzz is online when they are blue - Zombies are visible. So she has breakfast during that time.

And for topic: I like it that way too. I like seeing mine when i get online and disappear at 12pm my time.

No need to have them on local user time.

All day on each last day of the month.

And Fuzz is online when they are blue - Zombies are visible. So she has breakfast during that time.

And for topic: I like it that way too. I like seeing mine when i get online and disappear at 12pm my time.

No need to have them on local user time.

Yup. Breakfast on GMT gets me zombies with my coffee !

And YOU, georgexu94, get them all day. I'd call that lucky - I would REALLY like that !

You do realise that zombies can only be seen at night, cave time - except on 31st of the month ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

Maybe just have an option to change them to user time?

Is it REALLY worth it ? I would imagine the coding would be tough.

@fuzz: Oh! Now I know what the zombies are all about after reading this article: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Undead_Dragon

Sorry, I'm new, remember?

The coding won't be tough as the changes follow what the user's time is (taken from them upon registration) For example, I registered my time to be GMT +8. Then I can see all nocturne during 6pm as their night form in all scrolls. I think it's worth it since it will really add to the experience. biggrin.gif Than having jet lags. Anyway, tell me if u think otherwise. smile.gif

Edited by georgexu94

I've no idea about the coding. I know it is easy enough for FORUMS - but this would involve changed IMAGES with changed times - which may be different.

I'd leave mine on cave time - as I say - seeing my zombies over breakfast is great - and I like the night nocturnes better anyway ! But if it were possible and TJ decided to offer it, time need not be taken on registration - we could change it in our settings, as we do for the forum. I'd certainly rather it were that way as I am dual resident UK and Canada and it would be a nightmare trying to remember which time I was on !

No problems about being new - we all were once !

The coding would be simple, I'd think. So many sites use this that even I've learned how to do it, and my PHP knowledge is limited. This would only be simple if it was for sprite changes, like Zombies and Nocturnes, though. To change how Sunrises/-sets hatch or whether you're grabbing a Day or Night Glory Drake would require a bit more work, or so I assume. Then the egg in the biome would be different for you than it would be for someone else, and making two dragons sit in the same egg is where it gets complicated. (Unless egg types are generated upon pick-up? Not sure how it works.)

With that said, I d'no why you'd want to change your clock. I'd personally just get confused over having two different time zones in the same game. XD I'm sure it'd be confusing for newbies, too, which might be why TJ hasn't implemented it. I can imagine a whole bunch of new threads popping up in the Help section asking why their intended Night Glory hatched as a Day Glory even after they changed their time zone.

Edited by Chanilove

The problem is that you can cheat the way your local time is served very very easily unless you based it off of an IP look-up, which wouldn't be 100% either. If you had the ability to change your local time - and/or use local time instead of server time - you could change the way the game is supposed to be played quite a bit.

Edited by Corteo

OMG I never thought of that. Sunrise/sunset and glories would actually make it almost impossible to code, I suspect.... And trying to do the sprites on your scroll ... The worldwide variations on THAT little lot - and what about drops that happen over 24 hours...

*my head is about to explode*

MAYBE it could just be coded so that the APPEARANCE of the sprites scroll is time-coded and the actual stuff happening isn't - nor the cave.

The problem is that you can cheat the way your local time is served very very easily unless you based it off of an IP look-up, which wouldn't be 100% either.  If you had the ability to change your local time - and/or use local time instead of server time - you could change the way the game is supposed to be played quite a bit.

That's what I'm saying in my post. It would only have to be applied to sprite changes, because otherwise you'd not only have to write the extra code for egg generation but you'd have to cover up loopholes people would try squeezing through.

If a Sunset/Sunrise egg you picked up was using your time, and it got down to 4D5H, you could hypothetically turn your clock forward a few hours and ER it.

Edited by Chanilove

If this was changed, then we'd also have to change glory drakes and sunrise/sunset dragons to match the user's time as well. And like Corteo said, that could be a big problem since you could change gameplay quite a lot.

Also, I don't think I'd like it if I looked at my scroll and nocturnes were in one form, then I looked at someone else's scroll and they were in another. :/ Sorry, but I don't support this.

Today, when i look at the clock in my system tray, it says:

First Line: Local Time

Second Line: Sabres Time

Third Line: 49ers Time

The world has gone international, I have many timesettings to watch - so better get used to it, since it does not get any better, as sadly/luckily UTC is not used anywhere as the local time as well. smile.gif

The nice thing about how they are now is they are a GREAT indicator for the time dependent dragons such as the sunrise/sets and the day/nightglories.

What PF13 said. If you put these things on user time, there might be a hell of a lot of trouble with these breeds if you put them on user time, too. Sunsets/~rises can hatch all around the clock then, depending on each user's user time. And imagine the hassle with glory eggs, where the type depends on the time the egg was laid/found in the cave. Someone sends you a day glory - but, since he is 12 hours away from you (time-zone wise), will it then hatch as a night glory on your scroll?

I'd rather keep it the way it is. Nocturnes tell me when to breed for which kind of glory, and when my sun eggs can hatch into what. (If they can still hatch, that is.)

Are you going to add the poll here, as Pokemonfan13 asked you to ? ( I suddenly feel my vote there was wasted xd.png)

Besides the whole confusing mess of sunruse/set and glory drakes that was brought up, we already run into enough little site derps with nocturnes not changing correctly sometimes. I can't imagine how nocturnes would act if everybody could then customize their time and make nocturnes act differently for how many ever different timezones we have users choosing.

But anyway, it doesn't really make sense. The cave is all one place. It runs on cave time, not on our time. =p

I am for a note somewhere, like with the action log, stating that these times are EST/EDT, but being able to customize your timezone in the cave doesn't really make much sense. ^^

But anyway, it doesn't really make sense. The cave is all one place. It runs on cave time, not on our time. =p

I am for a note somewhere, like with the action log, stating that these times are EST/EDT, but being able to customize your timezone in the cave doesn't really make much sense. ^^

I agree, though it is probably easy for me since my time runs on cave time as well.

The cave is however completely different from the forum. Life in a jungle cannot be changed simply because we want to decide when the sun should be out or not. I know it's not as simple as that, but the cave really doesn't depend on us; we depend on it, and it doesn't make sense to try altering cave time on such an individual level.

Edited by DeathCry

About the only reason I would want this is that I think it is massively unfair that some people get to see their zombies on a regular basis without making a point of staying up to see them like those who live in or near EST. Though I think that would be better solved by changing the zombie system than changing the timezone system.

About the only reason I would want this is that I think it is massively unfair that some people get to see their zombies on a regular basis without making a point of staying up to see them like those who live in or near EST. Though I think that would be better solved by changing the zombie system than changing the timezone system.

In EST the zombies appear after midnight. I stay past that on a regular basis, but many others regularly go to bed an hour or more before midnight and so would never see their zombies. So in fact timing things to your own time zone would make zombie sightings worse for just about anyone who has school or work and so has to get up early and therefore go to bed early.

In EST the zombies appear after midnight.  I stay past that on a regular basis, but many others regularly go to bed an hour or more before midnight and so would never see their zombies.  So in fact timing things to your own time zone would make zombie sightings worse for just about anyone who has school or work and so has to get up early and therefore go to bed early.

That is actually the point. People who live in EST don't get to see their zombies because the way they are set up, how is it fair that others get to regularly see theirs during the day based solely on where they live? Personally, though, my preferred method would be to change the zombie mechanism to make them show up earlier and for longer each day rather than any other method.

Edited by Nectaris

That is actually the point. People who live in EST don't get to see their zombies because the way they are set up, how is it fair that others get to regularly see theirs during the day based solely on where they live? Personally, though, my preferred method would be to change the zombie mechanism to make them show up earlier and for longer each day rather than any other method.

On the other hand those living in EST have much more potential to get new releases fast at midnight than those of us who have to get up at 4am. Swings and roundabouts stuff smile.gif