Arctic

[IC Thread] The World of Ash

Red narrowed her eyes, looking at the men in the doorway, hand drifting down to make sure her things were still as they ought be. This done, she stood and gathered it all up, slinging the rifle over her shoulder and holding the staff in one hand.

She smiled thinly, keeping an eye on the men in the room but also watching to see what the patchy group did, where they headed. Red waited for Jovah to stand, wondering just what information he might have for her in return for her sharing the news of the suddenly interesting fireball.

"I see I wasn't the only one not staying in the city for long..." she remarked in regards to him having everything with him already, following him to the door. It was apparent these men didn't want to take a chance on being interrupted, making her intensely curious as to what exactly was going on. She'd have to come back another time and ask around.

"Well," she began, voice low. "Shall we continue this conversation elsewhere, or would you prefer to collect information on your own?" His mumbling about it perhaps being a satellite had caught her interest, and if he wasn't interested in talking more, she had some business to attend to that might make it safer for her to try and make her way back into the city.

The city had been cruel to her, and it would be even worse without her preparing, but maybe, if she was careful, if she avoided that part of it and moved cautiously, she could work her way in. After all, she'd dealt with it once before and made it out alive, and in a group they all might have slightly better odds of someone making it out alive... Red shook her head. This was something that she'd have to think about when she was alone again.

Edited by Limitless

It took Rune only minutes to gather his things. It was organizing that took a bit longer; everything had to be in just the right place at just the right angle if possible, so that it could be reached in an instant if need be. Less important items were less accessible, although the least accessible were the items Rune considered most important of all. In about ten minutes he was prepared.

It wasn't like they were dashing into the city mindlessly, after all. Rune didn't know what Matthias had on his mind, but he knew that even though his brother wasn't social, he wouldn't get the other travelers killed for no reason. They would travel carefully, like hunters on foreign territory. They would use every skill they had... and they had one advantage, one advantage that Rune knew could save their lives in the worst of situations; they had Rip. If there was only one thing that wolf could for sure do, it could find its way to the nearest woodlands. No matter where they went, Rip always knew the way out and back to the lands where Matthias had raised him. The three of them had only once before traveled into the edge of the city as a group. It was a mess, a total maze, yet Rip easily found his way out when told to. It was like the wolf itself was a compass.

Rune was also interested to know what had fallen from the sky. He wasn't idealistic and had no dreams of grandeur, but perhaps the object held answers to a long-gone past. Surely the ancestors knew that their actions would cause the sky to be so dark; it hadn't always been that way, Rune was taught. He sighed now, staring at the door, as he remembered one very old picture book his father had shown him long ago. It had 'stars' in it. Stars were in the sky, above the Eternal Ash, near the sun somewhere. Sometimes they fell, and as they did you could make a wish on them. If that was a star that fell, I wonder if it's not too late to-- BANG BANG BANG.

Three loud pounds on the wall downstairs, then a loud voice. By the time Rune had reached the base of the stairs he had missed what the lead guardsman had said, but one of the other two guards who had been heading upstairs saw Rune come down and quickly informed him that he had to leave. Rune nodded and went to check out, glad he had already packed. He assumed Matthias' friend could check himself out, so he didn't worry about that.

To anyone who had joined their group and was still downstairs he said, "Meet us outside as soon as you're ready. Matthias should have a route planned, and we'll discuss it somewhere out of the wind." Speaking of Matthias, he went to his brother next. "I hope you have everything ready," he said with a slight frown. Then he looked down at Rip. "And you, you better be ready too." He said no more and walked out the door. The cold had already seeped into the lobby, so it wasn't too unpleasant. The sky was still brighter than it had been before the storm, if only slightly, and at this Rune allowed himself a small smile. "Sometimes it's the smallest deed that will turn the tide," he quoted quietly.

"I know what'cha mean," a gruff man who had just exited The Throne said. "It can be hard t'get a good deal 'round here, gotta start smallish." Rune nodded politely to the man before they both went opposite directions, removing themselves from the crowd that was still exiting the throne. Rune hadn't been speaking of trading, but very few people would understand what he had been speaking of. Very few people felt that any deed mattered anymore.

(( Bump. Waiting on people. If you don't want to reply, cool, but at least notify me so I can move this along. If you want to hop in later, that's fine, it's your prerogative. If you've been busy, it's fine. ))

((Sorry, I've been hitting a writer's block lately. I'll get something in by the end of today.))

(( Don't force yourself, but just remember that it doesn't have to be anything impressive. It could just be a short paragraph or two. ))

Jasmine had returned perhaps a few moments prior to Rune's reappearance, placing her bag on the seat she had occupied before leaving. It seemed that Indigo had left somewhere and she wondered if the woman would be back in time for the group to head out. Most likely, the woman would and Jasmine had no concern to nourish. Conversation had come to be a certain failure at this point, at least in her opinion, and so she did not bother to revive it for now. It became a rather good idea when three, loud, bangs filled the inn.

The sudden disturbance caused the bard to jump, startled, and turn her gaze quickly towards the source of it. What could the guards possibly want this early in the day? No one except the guards would know the answer to the question stirring in her thoughts but she wasn't about to walk up and ask. The guards, depending on the priority of the situation, hardly shared the full details or even bits of it. Feet rooted to the ground where she stood, Jasmine watched the three men. Her hands held her bag securely, fingers curled firmly and bunching the old but sturdy fabric.

She shook her head. "I wonder what's up...?" Her voice was quiet, not wanting to be heard by the guards. Jasmine pulled her bag off the chair and, glancing briefly towards the others she would be traveling with, made her way outside. The Throne's lobby had chilled due to the door being opened so frequently and, as a result, the outside air felt hardly any different from inside. Out of habit more than out of being cold, the bard slipped her scarf on over her nose and mouth before shouldering her bag.

"Sometimes it's the smallest deed that will turn the tide."

"I know what'cha mean."

Jasmine looked over, catching sight of Rune and some gruff-looking man. She picked up what the man had said in response to Rune's words before the guy walked away. "I doubt you were talking about trading. Were you?" she asked, moving to stand a few feet way from the self-pronounced Cleric. For all she knew of the young man, he might have been talking about trade but, from how she viewed his words, it didn't seem all that likely.

Matthias frowned as a guardsman called for everyone to leave. This lead to hasty packing, quick movements, and a general atmosphere of temporary chaos with people moving this way and that, rushing up to their rooms to grab belongings or rushing out the door. Rip's eyes were darting this way and that, he didn't like all the fast movement, everyone was acting like prey, scared of something.

Matthias quickly took hold of the wolf's scruff before Rip could decide to pounce on someone. Matthias grit his teeth, a knife finding its way to his free hand. He sat still, waiting as everyone rushed about, ensuring that no one came near his stuff or Rip, who would no doubt spring on the first person to bump into him regardless of Matthias' hold on his scruff.

This is why I hate crowds... Matthias thought ruefully as he waited patiently. Soon the throne was almost empty, almost. There was no longer a crowd at the door, only a few people still rushed about. The nearest guard had begun staring at him with the obvious intent of getting him to leave.

"Stay." Matthias pushed Rip's head down and the wolf whined, still glancing from person to person in the room, still trying to figure out which one he was supposed to be hunting and why they were rushing.

Matthias slowly stood, scooting his chair back. He folded up the map he had marked on, and put the fold into his inner fur vest. Finally he glanced about once more to make sure no one was thinking of coming over to him for any reason and hid the knife as he stooped to pick up his pack. He frowned, realizing going outside meant larger open areas and decided to take a minute to grab his bow and quiver and strap them separately to his back.

By now the five minutes was quite definitely up but he was ready to head out the door. "Come Rip."

Rip practically leapt to his side, all keyed up and ready to get out of the indoors.

"I'm sorry," Matthias apologized to the man who had told everyone to leave, "he doesn't do well with crowds, it wouldn't have been safe to tell him to leave just yet."

Why explain himself? Matthias shrugged mentally, the man was a guard, and that represented authority, authority that Matthias would prefer to stay on the good side of.

Lastly Matthias pulled his wolf-fur cape over his back and fastened it at his collarbone, making sure the wolf-head was snug so the wind wouldn't blow it off. Then he stepped outside, Rip in tow.

The wind and temperature change hit him like a wall of bricks, but it was a welcome feeling. The throne had been hot and stuffy, this was cold, but the air was clear and fresh, even if it did taste of ash, but that was always true. Outside he quickly located Rune and stood by him, keeping Rip on the side of his body that there were no people at the moment.

Jasmine was there too and Matthias scanned the people for Indigo, hoping she also managed to get out without incident. Jasmine seemed to have just said something to Rune but Matthias had missed what it was, not that his brother's conversations were his business anyways. Either way, Rune had asked him to discuss the plan, and it wasn't very windy just here.

"Based on things," Matthias hated to elaborate, "the bright falling object that made such a noise last night, landed in the city somewhere. I suggest finding someone to guide us, I can get to the city, but I've never been inside." Matthias glanced around until he found the man who had been reading the newspaper. "I suggest you talk to him brother, he could be an excellent guide," again, Matthias didn't elaborate as to why. If Rune wanted to know that badly, he would ask.

Matthias simply saw the way the man carried himself, and the fact that he was obviously seasoned and familiar with the area, on top of that he wasn't a wild man, as some referred to Matthias as being. That coupled with the fact that he enjoyed reading newspapers from the older days meant there was a good chance he knew things about the city and he probably didn't want anything to do with it. Which was good, he would be a cautious and careful guide, erring on the side of caution. An excellent candidate, if Rune could convince him to join them. Matthias certainly had no intention of guiding or leading the group, unless of course they had to make a run for it, then he'd be in front... well.. following Rip that is.

Edited by Rakashua

(( I suppose now we're waiting on Packgoater and, if she feels the need to reply, Emeraldmay. I understand Pack still has reason for being absent. I'll move on without her if I have to, and she'll be free to join in at a later date. ))

The outside air was frigid, far below freezing, and of a particular quality of iciness seen only after a blizzard of considerable severity. The wind was gentle and calm, but seemed to move sluggishly, carrying weight behind it. A low, thick fog hung over the city and hills, enveloping and embracing the landscape. It was difficult to see farther than one could throw a stone and the cloudy, white-grey shroud carried with it some humidity (or, rather, humidity carried with it the shroud), a thing experienced only occasionally by Winterbury, but not so seldom that it could be considered rare. It was, after all, still the coast of California, and the weather simply indicated that dry northern air had crawled over the ocean. Despite the bleak conditions, however, it seemed as if the sun was shining particularly bright that morning, as everything carried with it a distinctly... happy, bright(er) hue. The gray had diminished and an albino sky had taken its place, but all creatures knew that it was not to last, and that the Eternal would soon return. This happened after most blizzards, after the sky had been churned about and unsettled.

Jovah stood immediately outside the Throne for a moment, batting his eyelids in a handful of minute blinks. To an onlooker it might have appeared that he was allowing his eyes to adjust to the lighting, but the truth was far simpler; he was getting used to the sting of the millions of tiny ice crystals suspended in the air, wrapped in the fog. Outside, he was shrouded against the whiteness. If there had been any doubt before, there could be none now; his attire was effective. It turned him in to a ghost so long as there was snow to be found, but it led to the curious question of how he had remained alive in his line of duty. After all, the city was of steel and glass, not of ice and twigs. His camouflage covered the latter, ignoring the urbanity of the city entirely.

Jovah grunted and carefully ascended the steps outside the Throne, his brown eyes keeping sight of his shod feet, ensuring that he wouldn't trip. By now, the main thoroughfare had at least been flattened out and small pathways were emerging throughout the criss-cross cobblestone streets of Winterbury. He took a step off to one side once he had reached the top of the short staircase down, narrowly avoiding a collision with a patrolling guardsman. He frowned, staring at the road in thought before turning his eyes to the right and looking towards the main city gates.

The large doors had been pushed open outwardly, revealing a mound of snow a foot or so high - perhaps a little more. They hadn't yet started clearing the cobbled road that connected to the highway at the base of Winterbury's hill, and they most likely wouldn't get to for at least an hour or two. It was hell to walk through snow without proper shoes for it, but as soon as one reached the highway, things would get slightly more manageable. Even with no sun, asphalt conducted heat well, and if nothing else it thinned the snow slightly to make it readily apparent where the road was. The risk wasn't in trekking through the snowfall, it was in falling in to a ditch that had been covered by a drift of it.

Next to the gate, directly inside, was a cannibalized pickup truck. It clearly belonged to the Winterbury guard. Affixed to the front was a plow and both doors had been pulled off at some point in the past. Where the second seat was supposed to be, there was a rack with a couple fuel canisters strapped on. The wheels had chain wrappings around them for traction. Sitting on the back were two guardsmen who were clearly on break, eating some form of bread for breakfast. The sight of food sparked Jovah's appetite, and he leaned back against a wall, opening his bag and drawing out the small sack from the night before. He pulled out a thick piece of salted meat before realizing that the redheaded woman was still with him. His gaze focused on her and he gave a smile, breaking the piece in to two and offering her one half.

“I don't see the necessity in going elsewhere,” Jovah replied. “I'll be leaving soon either way, and no doubt any eavesdroppers are either ill equipped to go, or already have plans to. What's on your mind?”

((Sorry again! Was revising and completely forgot :l))

Relived that she'd managed to wrangle to supplies she needed, Indigo walked out of the shop, her bag heavier with the few days rations that she would need. Walking back down the high street now, she considered the day's events, and how much had changed since she'd awoken this morning. But now she was travelling to the City of Death - San Francisco itself, and although she felt nervous, excitement also coursed through her veins.

Seeing a crowd gathering outside the tavern which she had met the group in, she increased her step, curious as to what was going on. It looked like there had been a disturbance, as guards stood there, so she crossed the road, keeping her distance from the incident. The imprints she made of he freshly laid snow trailed behind her, crushing the soft power down into what would soon be sheet ice, and mixed with other's in a confusing web on the well traveled path.

Her eyes scanning the crowd back and forth, her mind filled with relief as she saw the familiar faces she would be travelling with. Approaching the group, she paused slightly, looking them back and forth.

"I'm back. What happened here?"

(( Packgoater messaged me. Things are pretty hectic for her right now. She may be taking a leave of absence. Anyway, does anyone plan to reply? It's been a few days. ))

(( I do, but just have not gotten to it yet.((moved back into my dorm/ whole messy process)) :/ I will work on it tonight for sure. >.< ))

Edited by dani905

(( I do again apologize for taking so long, things have been crazy. Thank you all for your patience. ))

Red stepped out and looked around, adjusting her coat and scarf, pulling on a green, tattered beanie from a pocket. How interesting it was, the appearance of the world today. It was equally interesting how quickly the people had worked to clear at least some semblance of a main walkway. She smiled, glad she'd left this sort of life behind. What a bore to be stuck day in, day out, in such a place, with expectations and rules. Her life was much more fun, with its unpredictability and freedom. But, ah, none of it mattered in the scheme of things.

Slightly shielding her eyes, Red looked up. Less clouds than usual meant she might have a productive day, but also that more creatures might be out. Either way, the way the world seemed brighter was a little gift she'd cherish for as long as it lasted, smiling as she watched people hurrying to and fro. They didn't realize what a gift it was to be alive on a day such as today, all these people safely tucked up behind their walls and doors. The snow was an inconvenience to them, but the way they lived, why shouldn't it be? Busy little bees, all looking to survive and not so much to thrive. Ah, but she chided herself, remembering a dead friend who told her she jumped to conclusions too quickly.

It wasn't until she went to laugh at the memory that she realized Jovah was offering her some meat.

"No, thank you though." She replied, holding up her hand. "You go ahead, I've already eaten today." This was a lie, but she figured she'd have time to eat when she got back to her tree, provided she could find it again. Besides, if she was going to get any information out of him, she'd prefer him to be in a good mood. People tended to talk more when they seemed content, and he had headed straight to the point.

Red smiled. "As a matter of fact, you are the first person in a while I've met who has such an obviously displayed interest in the Old World. I was curious as to whether you and I could trade more information," she paused, exhaling and watching her breath disappear, then looked back to him with a twinkle in her eye.

"To be completely honest, you do owe me for just now, when I shared the news of what occurred last night, but since you gave me the paper I suppose I'll call that even. What do you say?"

"I doubt you were talking about trading. Were you?"

Rune turned in surprise to see the bard Jasmine speaking to him. He regarded her for a moment before a sad smile crossed his face. "No," he said softly. "No, I wasn't. I--" he snapped his jaw shut when he saw his brother approaching. A cold look entered Rune's eye, as though Matthias was purposely intruding. Again, he looked more sinister than he intended although at this point he didn't care much. He looked away from both Jasmine and Matthias in the moment of silence that followed. When he turned to Matthias as the man began speaking, his look had returned to normal. He frowned when he heard that the 'bright falling object' had landed in the city.

Go figure. That'd be our luck.

"I suggest you talk to him brother, he could be an excellent guide." Matthias spoke of the man in white who had been reading the newspaper. Rune glanced incredulously at the man. Yes, he looked like he knew a thing or two about... well, maybe not cities but something. But he also didn't look stupid. The chance of him accepting the position of 'guide' for such a group as their own seemed slim. Rune took a deep breath and sighed. He didn't want to argue with Matthias, so he decided it wouldn't hurt to at least ask. At the worst, the man would think the group crazy and laugh at them, perhaps make a public spectacle of it. But he didn't seem like that kind of man anyway.

At Indigo's approach, Rune nodded a grim-faced greeting to her. He glanced at the proposed guide and noticed he seemed busy in conversation with the red-head. He chose to wait to approach, not wanting to seem both foolish and rude. Instead he looked at Indigo again. "The guards ordered everyone out except for the workers," he said pleasantly as he indicated The Throne. "Some search going on apparently. We're just preparing to head out." He paused a moment. "Matthias," he said thoughtfully, "do you intend to attempt to obtain some of the falling object for trade or study, or are we only going to travel that way and watch what happens with other travelers? We don't know how deep into the city this... thing could have fallen."

Edited by LadyNatasha

Matthias shook his head, "I'm going to watch the people, maybe save them, if the fight is in my favor. If not, just observe how they react. I want to learn about the city as a hunting ground without going alone, if it's something I can adapt to I'd be interested in spending some time there, a large group of treasure seekers from Winterbury is effective cover to use in entering."

Matthias paused and glanced at Indigo before saying more softly, "but if she wants a piece of it, then it might be a worthy hunt to undertake. Either way, those already deciding to go based on that man's story and the hope of treasure will clear the way of surprises, an effective distraction at least and a safeguard at best."

Matthias knelt down and began petting Rip, his mind immediately leaping ahead to the journey and what they might encounter, what they might fight, or who.

"I don't mean to endanger anyone, don't feel the need to come with me," Matthias now spoke to anyone in earshot, but specifically those he had already met, "I can move faster on my own, perhaps not as safely, but don't feel the need to go just because I intend to."

“I'm all for trading information, but the problem lies in that I've no idea what I'd like to know and I've no idea what you'd like to know,” Jovah replied, taking a bite out of the salted jerky. “I suppose it also lies in that I'm planning to leave soon.” The scavenger popped the rest of the meat in to his mouth, chewing slowly. Clearly accustomed to small portions, he bagged the other half of the piece of meat, twisted the neck of the cloth sack closed and slid it in to a satchel. His brown eyes flickered over to the gate of the city, then back to the redhead in front of him. His eyes took a moment to study her before he swallowed and folded his arms over his abdomen.

“By all means, though. If you have questions, ask.” He adjusted the shoulder strap of his rifle, causing it to click and clack against his other equipment. Once more, his eyes flickered to the gate of the city in quiet contemplation. He was clearly calculating what he would need to do after departing, given the weather conditions, but there showed no impatience in his behavior or posture. He looked back to Red after a couple moments, presumably after she had already began speaking.

Red gave a small laugh. "That is understandable, I gave you no time to come up with any questions. I'll ask mine, and if you think of any, you may ask. I will respond to the best of my knowledge."

She paused for a moment, looking over the scavenger in front of her. He was not an unattractive man, with his dark hair and lighter eyes. She could see that this was a man who was undoubtedly worth her respect, as another experienced survivor and as a human being. It would truly be a shame if he turned out to be a threat.

"Well," she started, seeming almost to brace for the answer to her question. "I was not so much wondering about your knowledge on the old world, but was curious about your hatchet." The woman's eyes were cold and wary suddenly, one of her hands moving to a point of her staff that would enable her to attack quickly if she needed to. Red hoped she wouldn't have to.

"Tools such as that are rare, and judging by its design, I am willing to put a wager on the fact that it was not merely a lucky find on your part..." She exhaled, seeming to weigh her words carefully before she began speaking once more. "What makes me really curious is the lettering on it. It is not easy to make out, but I would also bet that it once clearly said 'S.F BAY ND ARMORY', which is, for anybody who thinks on it long enough and knows the old name, obviously from within the city. But I have been in there, and it is not a place just anybody can waltz in and out of, especially not the area that would be from."

Red raised her head, tossing it slightly so that her hair, which had settled around her face, was dislodged and taken up by the wind. She waited a moment for him to speak, eyes blazing a silent challenge.

“Ah. My hatchet,” Jovah replied coolly, moving a hand to rest on the tool. He gripped the handle gently, moving each finger individually to wrap around the grip threateningly. His eyes now showed strong warning in them - something he seemed to show on purpose. He had undoubtedly noticed both her glare and her adjustment of her grip on the staff. When he spoke, it was in the same tone he had been using; polite. It betrayed his body language.

With his eyes focused on the woman before him, he drew the hatchet from its belt loop in such a manner as to not upset her or arise suspicion - slowly and casually. He then laid the blade in his left hand, shifting his focus down from the woman to the lettering stenciled on the curved side of the axehead. “San Francisco National Defense Armory,” he remarked calmly. “I acquired it through trade.”

Jovah's eyes shifted back up to look at Red. “An impressive tool, really. The spike,” he moved his hands to it, which jutted out on the side opposite of the edge of the blade, “is made of a reinforced metal of some kind. It's lightweight, so I would imagine it's an alloy. It's meant to be able to pierce through things like steel sheets. Armor plating, improvised or not. The man who sold it to me referred to it as the 'can opener'.” He shrugged and carefully replaced it back on to his belt, momentarily moving his head to the side, face out of sight, to make sure it was fastened correctly. When he looked back up, his eyes no longer carried challenge or caution in them. He smiled politely and folded his arms, adjusting his posture as he leaned on the wall.

“My turn, I suppose,” Jovah stated kindly. “You claim you've been in the city. Pardon me for saying so, but that's difficult to believe. Neither your beanie nor your hair blend in with the snow or the rock, for instance. It isn't even so much you - the last time I approached the wall head-on, I walked in to a sniper alley. I spent about three hours getting out of some coked up sharpshooter's range of vision. I've tried to get in many times now. I've failed all but two or three times, and those outings were short lived. I haven't met a single person who's gotten up in to the heart of the city - just a little ways beyond the wall to about where I've been, and that's that. So, why should I believe you? What can you tell me?” His voice remained passive and calm throughout the talk. He seemed skeptical, not in vehement doubt.

Edited by Arctic

Indigo returned, seeking to know what she had missed out on, and Jasmine listened to Rune's response. Likewise, she listened to Matthias and faintly tugged at the edges of her scarf. The old cloth had shifted with her movements and was pressing against her throat until she adjusted it. "Matthias, I will be accompanying you and Rip to the city as I'm sure Rune and Indigo will likewise do. Certainly, I'm going because you are but not out of obligation or a sense of 'duty.' Instead, I've made my decision based on - as my father mentioned to me - a compassionate heart. While traveling at a fair pace may be ideal, I feel safety is a higher priority."

Standing still, the cold began to seep through Jasmine's boots and numb her toes. As result, the bard briefly stamped her feet, using muscles that had stiffen in the crisp air and crushing the snow beneath her further into the ground. It worked enough to re-awake feeling in the offended nerve clusters. Focusing her attention back to the trio beside her, she glanced over towards the man in white. Matthias had suggested to Rune that he ask the camouflaged man to be their guide. It seemed a decent idea though, who knew if the man would accept the position?

Red listened to his response, keeping her guard up. She didn't really believe him, but that didn't matter. The point, in her mind, was that he had it, and that made him not to be trusted until proven otherwise. She relaxed slightly as he put his hatchet away, exhaling as though in pain when he asked his questions. They were, unfortunately, incredibly valid, but not questions she could easily provide answers to.

Red sighed, bowing her head slightly but still keeping a watch on him. "My time in the city... I did not want anything to do with it. I had no intention of entering that godforsaken place at all, but had no say in the matter. Interpret that as you wish. I did not wear the beanie once in the time I spent there, but found another way of keeping my hair covered." She paused, reflecting with a certain pain and bitterness in her eyes, then shook her head and looked back up. "As for how I survived in there... I dare not speak of that time. It would be unwise to stir up such negativity in a place like this." Memories of things she had done to get by in that city ran across her mind as she lowered her eyes, seeming to deflate slightly.

She shifted her weight, a little disappointed in herself for leaving such a question able to be asked. She should not have taken this man so lightly, but it had ended up as well as it could have. She took a moment more to compose herself, then smiled thinly and nodded at him.

"I believe I now owe you some sort of information on the city. I wasn't there to sight-see, but I can tell you that it's very difficult to navigate in there. The streets are packed with cars, and while that might provide a good hiding place, it makes it difficult to fight efficiently in the streets. Also, there's a rather large number of Lurkers in the old subway tunnels. Beware of those."

She paused, feeling the call of her world of solitude just beyond the gate. This worry was not something she had been used to lately and was definitely not something she enjoyed. It was time to get back out.

"Thank you for answering my question, rude as it was. If you have anything else to ask about the city, ask it now. I do not plan to stay here much longer than I have to."

(( By all means. I've been planning to reply. Limitless and I still hold interest here, and I'm working yet another individual to create a character. I've no idea what's happened to Rakashua, Emeraldmay or LadyNatasha.

Thank ya. ))

Jovah retained his polite posture and welcoming smile as he listened to the redhead speak. He continued to lean against the rock-and-wood wall behind him, which at present time was caked in frost and ice. It was a characteristic that not only he but just about everyone was used to. Homes needed good insulation and a sturdy structure capable of carrying the burdens of winter. Quite a few old San Franciscan buildings had already collapsed, simply because they weren't built to handle top-heavy weight like northern houses often were. Luckily, such buildings were usually lower middle class homes and thus normally had nothing of value in them but jewelry and little mementos. The more valuable buildings, while weak in structure, had minimal collapsing.

The scavenger's eyes remained fixed on the woman as she spoke and his lips remained curled in to that same amicable grin, refusing to even twitch. He seldom blinked despite the frosted air touching at his exposed eyes, as if it was some minor inconvenience. While his eyes couldn't be described as prying, they were certainly analyzing something or another about her, though in the most innocent of ways. Perhaps it was this obvious inherent curiosity that led to his refusal to interrupt as she spoke - it certainly couldn't be politeness, not with a scavenger. Then again, he seemed to carry no ill will and maintained the calmest of dispositions.

“You didn't have any say in the matter,” Jovah repeated coolly to himself and seemed to take a brief moment to think. His partially gloved hand rose up and pale, scarred fingers wandered through his beard thoughtfully. He licked at the inside of his lips, then leaned off of the wall and smiled. “I have my presumptions,” he stated simply, “and I'm afraid they're strengthened from your unwillingness to talk about any details, but I won't pry. It was clearly trying on you. Unfortunately, I'm already well aware of the packed streets and the lost souls in the tunnels beneath,” he paused, then smirked enthusiastically. “Was that a rhyme? I believe it was. Heh. In any case, I still don't believe you, I'm sorry. It's an outlandish claim,” he paused, “But not impossible, I'll admit. I simply need believable proof, tangible evidence. Something like that.”

He adjusted his rifle on his back and stepped out in to the street, turning so his body faced the redhead as he went. He swept his arms out to the side and gave a slight, friendly bow as he moved. “I haven't any questions, I'm afraid, but I'm preparing to leave within a couple minutes. It would be wonderful to have someone with supposed foreknowledge of what lies inside. Much more... survivable, you could say, and you would of course have a stake in whatever there is to be found.”

(( I think a few have just lost interest, but I'd much rather they tell me rather than just altogether disappear. Limitless has been busy, I know that much, but I think she's planning to reply today. If you'd like to contact LadyNatasha and Rakashua and see what's up, I'd appreciate it. I've been thinking of the setting behind the scenes. Displaying a big city through text is kind of difficult. ))