stogucheme

DC Gold

Should a currency economy be added to DC? Please choose the option that BEST fits your opinion. If you null your voice isn't being heard.  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over time, money quickly loses value. Orginally an 8oz Hersey bar used to be 25 cents, now its 86 cents or higher in some areas. And setting a cap price on things, everyone will basically sell at that cap, wanting to get as much money as possible no matter if the egg is worthless or not. Whats the point then if everything costs the same price? Messy lineage egg for 10g vs CB gold for 10g (10g being the cap price alowed) So much for value of eggs anymore if everything is rated the same.

Edited by Dolphinsong

I don't like the currency based on rarity and I don't like the cap based on what you sell.

It makes more sense to just earn a set amount per egg/hatchling regardless of type.. and it makes more sense to just cap the total currency you can have at one time.

I personally think the current trading system is totally unfair, because it's based purely on LUCK. Someone got lucky and has a very desirable dragon available, so they decide to trade it for a ridiculous price that will take months of time to pay off and take up egg slots for the debt when they could be used for playing.

Some of you claim that changing things will change how 'you' play. So what? Trading as it stands either leaves me out or would change how I play. I don't intend to let someone else's luck ruin my game, so I refuse to IOU trade for something that is ridiculously overpriced. Any trade that can't be made with a single two way transfer is overpriced in my opinion.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

I am for being able to use gold to do things like:

• make a cool down shorter

• next summon/bite/EQ/influence success rate higher

Other:

• new scroll skins

• lottery ticket (event: random person wins an egg, happens weekly)

But I am against using gold as an alternate trading system. I honestly think that gold is a good idea for use in those Contests instead of those random Christmas lotteries, because it would ensure that the prize eggs go to ACTIVE players and not inactive players where the eggs go to die.

I also suggest that gold be used to 'buy' and set things like scroll messages.

I also see it as something potentially implemented alongside frozen eggs. If we were able to purchase frozen eggs or use our gold to trade frozen eggs (if frozen eggs were excluded from the normal trading method) I think I would support that.

But as it stands, I'd probably use gold to buy dragons, but I certainly wouldn't sell my dragons.

Actually, removed temporary ad removal. We can already do that. :>

Edited by DarkEternity

I don't like the currency based on rarity and I don't like the cap based on what you sell.

It makes more sense to just earn a set amount per egg/hatchling regardless of type.. and it makes more sense to just cap the total currency you can have at one time.

I personally think the current trading system is totally unfair, because it's based purely on LUCK. Someone got lucky and has a very desirable dragon available, so they decide to trade it for a ridiculous price that will take months of time to pay off and take up egg slots for the debt when they could be used for playing.

Some of you claim that changing things will change how 'you' play. So what? Trading as it stands either leaves me out or would change how I play. I don't intend to let someone else's luck ruin my game, so I refuse to IOU trade for something that is ridiculously overpriced. Any trade that can't be made with a single two way transfer is overpriced in my opinion.

Trading is a part of the game. By raising dragonson your scroll you are stil playing, regardless of purpose you gave to those dragons.

Yes, the system is based on luck. But guess what? This new system would also be based on luck. A player would have to be lucky enough to catch something rare, and the other player would have to be lucky enough to have needed money availeble. Everything in life depends at least partially to luck, like it or not.

Refusing to trade is your way of playing. Just because you don't lile current system it does't mean we should completly change it.

.....so basically you want to shut other people out of the trading system so it fits YOU better? A lot of people don't raise any more than their scroll goals and so the only way they'd be able to get currency would be to "sell" eggs, causing the exact "luck" unfairness you complain of for them!

And the current system is NOT based ONLY on luck. Just because YOU don't like to trade multiple hatchlings for a rarer egg doesn't mean it isn't the perfect way for people who can't catch to get rare items. I got the CB blacks to pay of an IOU by raising bunches of hatchlings and it was a PERFECT trade.

At the very least there shouldn't be any currency given for the hatchling to adult transition. That way people with some free egg slots but don't raise any more than their quotas don't feel pressured to raise more adults than they want. After all, hatchlings are desirable, there's no need to reward people for taking hatchlings to adulthood. So dump the hatchling to adult currency and things would be a lot fairer [if nothing else the person who gets a dumped hatchling from the AP doesn't get a FREE hatchling AND CURRENCY]

Edited by Pokemonfan13

If it was all solely based on luck, then I'd like to think that anyone playing twice as long as me should have twice as many CB metallics caught (caught -- not to be confused with what's on my scroll, as many more were gifted/traded than kept).

The way things are suit the majority of users. You expect DC to change just for you? Also, I had to LOL at the use of the term "overpriced." They are obviously not overpriced, because most people are more than willing to pay the price. All this comes down to is that these rares aren't worth as much to you as they are to the people trading them/people paying the price. No one would trade these dragons for "ridiculous" things if people weren't willing to pay for it. If you're not big on the idea of paying the price then you have no room to complain about not getting the prize. The problem is your standards, not ours. Quite frankly, princess, this game doesn't revolve around you, and the majority of us are thankful for it.

The only way things would ever work out the way you want them is if cave ratios were eliminated and everything shared the same rarity. Actually, this would still cater to the faster clickers... er, I mean the lucky people... so let's just eliminate biomes. You could choose which eggs you wanted from a dropdown list without any worry for competition ever.

Pretty sure no one wants that.

If you don't like the way things work here on DC, you're free to leave. No one's forcing you to stay (especially if you staying implies that you'll keep pushing unbalanced ideas hoping they'll make things easier on you.)

Edited by Chanilove

Part of me thinks this is a terrible idea.

Another part of me thinks inflation is already bad enough as it is, so it wouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, let's think about it, the OP kind of has a point. Right now, to get a CB gold for example you see trades like;

1. 2 CB silvers. 4 CB blacks. 47 CB striped.

2. 60 caveblocker hatchlings.

3. A neglected.

So, right now, CB golds are very valuable, which makes sense since they are very, very rare.

But, what's the problem?

1. This implies that you must be an awesome hunter (which I'm not, I'm terrible at this game), and you have the sheer luck to spend hours hunting for the eggs, and the sheer luck you're the first to gather the 2 silvers, or 4 blacks to get in time for the trade.

2. Most of this is resolved through IOUs, but I do see trades like, Somewhat interesting egg in exchange for 4 hatchlings of whatever breed. Well, most of the time we are doing our own things and don't happen to have purple hatchlings laying around just in case an interesting trade, which casually needs hatchlings of that certain breed, happens to cross my path.

Also, while I understand that is the price, most of the time I have chosen between my projects and certain interesting eggs, and my projects won. I mean, sure, golds are nice but they are pretty much worthless to me since they are as rare as annoying breeders, so blocking my scroll for months to no end with caveblockers to gain a single egg is a no-no. (but that's pretty much my very own flawed opinion, so don't really take it seriously as a factual argument of any sort).

3. Simple. Neglecteds are the most desirable dragons due to their rarity, but most of us don't quiet get the science behind it and can't produce them, or are too afraid to risk killing eggs for a slim chance at a ND.

Currency, as it is stated now, will simplify things a lot.

No more hunting for CB silvers. No more scrolls blocked to no end with hatchies. No more dead eggs for a shinny coin to trade.

Sure, there will be inflation, but isn't there inflation now?

CB eggs are very expensive.

Bred eggs, unless they are 2nd gen Thuweds, Dorkfaces or whatever, are pretty much worthless to most, no matter how beautiful a lineage is or how much work it took us working on it, planning, writing down the scheme, etc, etc, etc. (For some of us, serious breeders, it takes way longer configuring a nice 4th even gen than for successful hunters to get a gold, and yet our lineages are pretty much worthless in the market).

So I kind of think I support this, as it is right now. Getting 2 coins per raised egg, not a bad idea.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Part of me thinks this is a terrible idea.

Another part of me thinks inflation is already bad enough as it is, so it wouldn't be much of a problem. I mean, let's think about it, the OP kind of has a point. Right now, to get a CB gold for example you see trades like;

1. 2 CB silvers. 4 CB blacks. 47 CB striped.

2. 60 caveblocker hatchlings.

3. A neglected.

So, right now, CB golds are very valuable, which makes sense since they are very, very rare.

But, what's the problem?

1. This implies that you must be an awesome hunter (which I'm not, I'm terrible at this game), and you have the sheer luck to spend hours hunting for the eggs, and the sheer luck you're the first to gather the 2 silvers, or 4 blacks to get in time for the trade.

2. Most of this is resolved through IOUs, but I do see trades like, Somewhat interesting egg in exchange for 4 hatchlings of whatever breed. Well, most of the time we are doing our own things and don't happen to have purple hatchlings laying around just in case an interesting trade, which casually needs hatchlings of that certain breed, happens to cross my path.

Also, while I understand that is the price, most of the time I have chosen between my projects and certain interesting eggs, and my projects won. I mean, sure, golds are nice but they are pretty much worthless to me since they are as rare as annoying breeders, so blocking my scroll for months to no end with caveblockers to gain a single egg is a no-no. (but that's pretty much my very own flawed opinion, so don't really take it seriously as a factual argument of any sort).

3. Simple. Neglecteds are the most desirable dragons due to their rarity, but most of us don't quiet get the science behind it and can't produce them, or are too afraid to risk killing eggs for a slim chance at a ND.

Currency, as it is stated now, will simplify things a lot.

No more hunting for CB silvers. No more scrolls blocked to no end with hatchies. No more dead eggs for a shinny coin to trade.

Sure, there will be inflation, but isn't there inflation now?

CB eggs are very expensive.

Bred eggs, unless they are 2nd gen Thuweds, Dorkfaces or whatever, are pretty much worthless to most, no matter how beautiful a lineage is or how much work it took us working on it, planning, writing down the scheme, etc, etc, etc. (For some of us, serious breeders, it takes way longer configuring a nice 4th even gen than for successful hunters to get a gold, and yet our lineages are pretty much worthless in the market).

So I kind of think I support this, as it is right now. Getting 2 coins per raised egg, not a bad idea.

Inflation isn't the only issue. If you read a few more pages, this whole thread practically consists of reasons why this wouldn't work. I highly recommend PF13's post on the previous page -- it covered the big ones.

Just because you don't care for some lineages doesn't mean they are no value. Some would give an arm or a leg for a stairstep white/rosebud that started with a spriter's alt for example.

It's not so much the idea of inflation, as "what happens when everybody who has the rare dragons is at the gold cap and can't sell anymore".

The biggest reason I have against this is there is no money sink to take money back out of the economy.

If you just keep generating more and more and more and more, it will quickly becomes utterly worthless, and inflation will increase rapidly as the value of the money dwindles.

To deal with inflation, you NEED a money sink. But any idea for a money sink would lead DC down the path of becoming a petsite, which is a massive no-no for many people here.

Okay, I stopped reading around page 10 because most of the people in the thread didn't find the post on page 5 explaining how the system works and made a lot of arguments against their idea of how it'd work. So please ask questions after this post and I'll try to address them. Let's make this suggestion work for everyone, shall we?  wink.gif

Edit for the above strike through: I've been working on this so long I never want to see it again. I'll probably come back within a day, but until then, I hope y'all can work it out for yourselves.

If this post is now totally irrelevant to the discussion, sorry, but I spent hours on it. Just ignore, please.

How The System Works

<snip>

That is horrendously over-complicated and would require massive amounts of construction and over-seeing work behind the scenes and it *still* doesn't address the very valid points that PF13 and others have raised regarding needing a money-sink, the issues with capping, and user confidence in gold values.

@cinnamindraconna: Have you spent much time on the trading threads? I do on and off, and I don't think I've ever seen *anyone* asking for CB metals or NDs for a 2nd gen Stripe and honestly expecting to get that. (They don't.) Even a CB Stripe doesn't command that sort of price, or I'd have far more CB metals than I do. wink.gif If I catch one that I don't need, I'll often just ask for a handful of CB common hatchies for it. A newer player gets a rarer egg, I get more dragons towards my scroll goals - everyone's a winner. Depends on what you're looking for, mind - if you want to create a lineage from 2nd gen Tinsels, well...

Okay, here's an idea.

I will immediately be told that I am silly, because it involves spontaneous egg creation, but hear me out.

I've already said I'm the farthest thing from an expert on ecomonics, but it seems the cap on the amount of gold and on the price of a dragon is... not a realistic way to operate an economy. People have to be able to set prices to sell things or some things will be sold under their real value, and people have to be able to collect money to afford pricier things. Instead of imposing an artificial cap, there *must* be a money sink to get the money back out of the economy, and all the suggestions that have come up for a sink so far are not very much in the character of DC.

Sooo... make a site shop where users can buy from the site CB eggs of various dragons. Yes, the eggs would be spontaneously created, but quite frankly if this suggestion is implemented in any form then at least one of the ToS is going to have to be changed to accommodate it. If users are buying from the site and not from each other then that money goes poof again and doesn't stick around to inflate prices. There would be no need for price caps because all the eggs at the shop would have a set price, and no need for income caps because people would be sinking their money right back into the site. I don't even think I would want currency transactions between users to be possible.

Frankly this is the only circumstance under which I would support any kind of currency, and it is so wildly improbable and so far off from the original suggestion that this post is borderline spam...

Spontanious egg creation is a large no. TJ has it stated in the BSA sticky topic No Spontanious Egg Creation. I honestly beleives this also includes non BSA creation of eggs as well.

This also royally screws up ratios that is set up on the site.

Edited by Dolphinsong

Okay, here's an idea.

I will immediately be told that I am silly, because it involves spontaneous egg creation, but hear me out.

I've already said I'm the farthest thing from an expert on ecomonics, but it seems the cap on the amount of gold and on the price of a dragon is... not a realistic way to operate an economy. People have to be able to set prices to sell things or some things will be sold under their real value, and people have to be able to collect money to afford pricier things. Instead of imposing an artificial cap, there *must* be a money sink to get the money back out of the economy, and all the suggestions that have come up for a sink so far are not very much in the character of DC.

Sooo... make a site shop where users can buy from the site CB eggs of various dragons. Yes, the eggs would be spontaneously created, but quite frankly if this suggestion is implemented in any form then at least one of the ToS is going to have to be changed to accommodate it. If users are buying from the site and not from each other then that money goes poof again and doesn't stick around to inflate prices. There would be no need for price caps because all the eggs at the shop would have a set price, and no need for income caps because people would be sinking their money right back into the site. I don't even think I would want currency transactions between users to be possible.

Frankly this is the only circumstance under which I would support any kind of currency, and it is so wildly improbable and so far off from the original suggestion that this post is borderline spam...

This is pretty much the only way I could see it working, tbh. Especially if the prices of shop-CBs can be tied to the availability of those same breeds in the Cave proper. So if there's suddenly a scarcity of Seasonals in the Cave, their shop price rises too, meaning that people would have to raise more other breeds to pay for one, hopefully helping to rebalance the ratios at the same time. But I dunno, I feel like there's stuff I'm missing there...

We're a site that runs off of ratios, having a shop to buy said dragons from, even if prices change, changes it from being a ratio ran site. Suddenly we're basically like Magistream, having a shop to buy eggs from.

It would screw with the ratios too much. Even if they were exempt from the ratios, it would still devalue the eggs too much, IMO. Why bother catching a gold yourself when you can buy a CB pair and start your own lineage? (True, you could have months and months before you could afford both, but still.)

I kind of viewed it as a lesser of two evils thing, and anyway I know even less about DC ratios than I know about economics. wink.gif

What if this shop sold breeds that were only available in the shop, and could only be obtained as CBs by purchasing them for this in-game currency? We're probably too far off track at this point; it was just a random idea.

Edited by Sadako

I kind of viewed it as a lesser of two evils thing, and anyway I know even less about DC ratios than I know about economics. wink.gif

What if this shop sold breeds that were only available in the shop, and could only be obtained as CBs by purchasing them for this in-game currency?

Totally Magistream there I'm afraid and we're not becoming a Magistream copycat.

They have stream eggs (we have cave born) they have shop eggs (seprate from the stream) that is what your just now basically suggesting.

No thank you.

No, thank you. Just - no, no, no.

Neopets has currency, and has a lot of examples of way to make money and spend it, and inflation is *still* absolutely incredibly ridiculous there, so much so that most 'valuable' things are far, far out of the reach of newbies. (This demonstrates that PF13 is absolutely right, you NEED a currency sink).

As a result, you know what's taken off? Cheats, and the use of bots to buy and sell. TNT has had to set up all sorts of coding and checks to screen out the people who are using these things, and they still don't catch the people who are really prolific in it.

I don't see this changing or improving the site for the better, I see it making the game more complicated and possibly even harder for a lot of players.

I understand the desire to have this as an 'alternative' and the thought that it would make things better, I just don't see things going that way.

I like DC the way that it is - the simplicity is the beauty of it. The dragons are the focus, not scrambling to find ways to earn dc gold.

Like I said, probably way too off track here. I had the impression that most places with special shop-only pets used real money to buy them rather than in-game currency, but I don't play magistream, so I guess I don't know what ideas I shouldn't throw around, lol.

Many games that I play or see that involves in game currency money were either destroyed or ran/run into potential future tax/legal liabilities and tons of extra work due to it. Here is why:

1. Unless you are going to employ a team of economic advisors on how to keep your games' currency in check, the game money and economy are eventually going to get out of countrol. This is going to cause all sorts of issues with the Player Base, including exodus of players as the situation gets worse.

2. Because most people are not going to hire a team of economic professors (who will all disagree with each other anyways), coding time that could be spent on other developments will be spent on bandaids to fix something that will always be broken and then there are the real world problems.

3. Real world selling of in game coins. There are already several legal issues, and many countries that want to tax (or seriously talk about) players and/or the game itself for their gains. I do not even know where to begin on this conversation without making a really boring 20 page lecture.

I know other Adoptable sites do it for clicks or whatnot, and that is how you obtain and trade and whatever. While I think any and all ideas should be shared, I don't think its understood the great strain (in the future) it would place on admins to introduce virtual currency in a game that has run really well without it. And when countries actually start taxing virtual currency (directly or indirectly) one of the these days, well ... then the admins have to hire teams of lawyers and accountants. And free games with donations don't pay for these. And when you make money from selling virtual currency, at least in the US, all money over a certain point requires reporting for tax purposes. Otherwise its a crime. And if the currency has any real value whatsoever, it will be sold.

~Removed; the post has already been taken care of, let's not drag the post around some more~

Also, people need to start to, at least for once, READ THE ARGUMENTS AGAINST.

Coming back over and over again with a base assumption that "it will just work like that" because someone else will buy in the money system will now trade you an egg that they would not trade you before its just unreasonable.

Even if there was a proper system with money sink and open ended prices, I can only see one result: Rare Sellers will demand astronomical prices, which for poorer players will be impossible to meet.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Inflation isn't the only issue. If you read a few more pages, this whole thread practically consists of reasons why this wouldn't work. I highly recommend PF13's post on the previous page -- it covered the big ones.

I admit I didn't read everything, sorry, kind of reached up to page 7 or so. Was a little busy.

Just because you don't care for some lineages doesn't mean they are no value. Some would give an arm or a leg for a stairstep white/rosebud that started with a spriter's alt for example.

I kind of wanted to imply the contrary. Sorry if it was misunderstood, but I kind of meant CB are highly valued while a common from a lineage, no matter how long it took to create, is of very little value.

Really, how much would you pay for this?

No spriter alts, no special eggs, just two common caveblockers. It took several months to create, tho, and I am very proud of it. I really value lineages more than I value CB, because of the work behind them, yet the market values CB higher than lineaged eggs.

Rarity aside, your example, while fine, implies extremely unique eggs which are only obtainable through lineages, same as tinsels.

No, thank you. Just - no, no, no.

Neopets has currency, and has a lot of examples of way to make money and spend it, and inflation is *still* absolutely incredibly ridiculous there, so much so that most 'valuable' things are far, far out of the reach of newbies. (This demonstrates that PF13 is absolutely right, you NEED a currency sink).

As a result, you know what's taken off? Cheats, and the use of bots to buy and sell. TNT has had to set up all sorts of coding and checks to screen out the people who are using these things, and they still don't catch the people who are really prolific in it.

I don't see this changing or improving the site for the better, I see it making the game more complicated and possibly even harder for a lot of players.

I understand the desire to have this as an 'alternative' and the thought that it would make things better, I just don't see things going that way.

I like DC the way that it is - the simplicity is the beauty of it. The dragons are the focus, not scrambling to find ways to earn dc gold.

I kind of thought this would make things simple. You get a coin by doing what you're going to do anyways, which doesn't seem much like Neopets or other pet sites which resort on a certain capitalism of sorts.

But I have to admit I know very little to nothing about economy, so I might be completely wrong.

I am normally against anything that might make us closer to a pet site, but I honestly (and selfishly) thought this would help people like me, who can't hunt silvers to trade for a gold (for example). But your arguments are all pretty valid too.

I'm in the middle here, really, I don't know what to think.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

I am normally against anything that might make us closer to a pet site, but I honestly (and selfishly) thought this would help people like me, who can't hunt silvers to trade for a gold (for example). But your arguments are all pretty valid too.

I'm in the middle here, really, I don't know what to think.

You CAN raise hatchlings, right? The official thing against IOUs doesn't prevent people from arranging them in private and people take hatchlings of blockers or bred BSA dragons and the like as payment for a lot of things. I used them to pay off a huge CB black IOU [before the thing against IOUs, but that's mainly because I haven't needed to trade recently].