_Z_

Notice Regarding IOU's

All members should be aware of the rules, members continuing to post IOU's will receive warns.

Trading/Gifting Subforum, Rules and Guidelines.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=113928

No IOU topics.

The following applies to all IOU threads in SD and Posts in the trading section.

IOU's are not an option of the game, IOU's are agreements made between members. As we (DC) are not responsible for any IOU's made, allowing a topic/posts gives members the impression we condone the practice, which we don't. Therefore, these topics/posts will not be allowed.

As a sub-forum of Site Discussions, the following rules apply.

Yea, now its an official rule....

Woohoo!

*COUGHihatethisruleCOUGH*

I dont get it, I know the mods arent responsible for scams. But its the users fault, if you get scammed, bad luck...

Why is there suddenly an official no iou rule?

If somone complains to a mod about a scam, ignore the PM and give them a warn!

I've never seen somone get scammed before, I understand this rule during holidays, but for normal trading.... Yea, no...

bumping since it seems to be getting lost in the shuffle (not sure if Z meant to sticky this or not).

No changes,Just like the last notice,right?

No changes.

The notice was posted because members are still requesting/offering IOU's in the trade topics.

Warns appear necessary.

Are IOU requests in signatures still allowed?

Yes, please keep them of a reasonable size.

So IOUs themselves are still allowed, as long as they are not actually offered in the forums? Just to clarify.

So IOUs themselves are still allowed, as long as they are not actually offered in the forums? Just to clarify.

I'm under the impression that we cannot specifically ask for IOUs in the trade post itself, but having a small blurb about accepting IOUs in our signature area is ok.

I'm under the impression that we cannot specifically ask for IOUs in the trade post itself, but having a small blurb about accepting IOUs in our signature area is ok.

You are correct.

If somone complains to a mod about a scam, ignore the PM and give them a warn!

Yeah, I'm not sure why that's not an option. The ban doesn't bother me because the mods are allowing us to use our sigs and profiles to make IOU trades, so it's no problem for me whether we have the rule or not. But logically speaking, which one is likely to happen more often: A) people get scammed and whine about it and have to be warned, or cool.gif people fail to read this pinned notice and post an IOU in the trading threads and have to be warned? There are more people who don't read FAQs out there than there are scammers and whiners combined, I think. But we'll see what happens. If it turns out to bring the mods some peace and quiet, well good; and if it turns out to just be even more work for them, maybe we'll return to how it was. Who knows? :-)

Yeah, I'm not sure why that's not an option. The ban doesn't bother me because the mods are allowing us to use our sigs and profiles to make IOU trades, so it's no problem for me whether we have the rule or not. But logically speaking, which one is likely to happen more often: A) people get scammed and whine about it and have to be warned, or cool.gif people fail to read this pinned notice and post an IOU in the trading threads and have to be warned? There are more people who don't read FAQs out there than there are scammers and whiners combined, I think. But we'll see what happens. If it turns out to bring the mods some peace and quiet, well good; and if it turns out to just be even more work for them, maybe we'll return to how it was. Who knows? :-)

IOUs have been an issue for the same reason trading period used to be. Trading of any kind was not originally a part of the game, and it took advantage of a coding loophole-- trading could not be stopped easily, but it was a headache for mods and users alike, because there was just so much tension and drama... Mods and TJ were called in to deal with it despite all the notices that trading was done at one's own risk and not a part of the game.

That we have a trading system now is a compromise. Trading is still not inherent to the game-- there's no way to post offers game-wide, for example-- but there's a system to make it safe for forumers and IRCers. IOUs are the aspect of trading that is left over from the original user-run system, and continue to make headaches for mods and users. So really, disallowing IOUs across the board (and remember, there have always been trading threads that didn't allow IOUs to be offered) is another step in the transition from old trading to new trading.

If they had done this all at once, they'd have immediately lost a ton of active players. Again. Doing it one step at a time allows people to adjust their playing style over time instead, which is definitely preferable to mass upheaval.

My only concern personally is that the next obvious step is removing the IOU statement from sigs. Right now, that statement is a lot like a protest, and it's definitely a work-around to the new rules. But... again, despite all the times people are told that it's not part of the game, they take it to the mods and they spread the bad juju whenever a IOU falls through (or appears to). That's going to happen still. And I honestly don't know how I'm going to be able to trade under those conditions. sad.gif

Yes probably.

In every forum, the job of a mod is to moderate, right? if some mod is tired of the job, just pass it to other. Now, limiting the options of the users and force them to go to other foruns because they don't want to be disturbed, is just ridicullous in my opinion.

It seems now that mods are getting on a high pedestal like "we don't want to be disturbed by forum or user issues, so lets ban this this and this". To be honest this is the forum I dislike more and feel so uncomfortable always, I just came here mostly for the few good things such as trading, but now that is ruined too. I would not recommend friends or family to register here.

Why just don't create some rule about IOUs, as some users suggested, but leave them be? I'm not a good clicker in most of the cases, and IOUs are a good option for me. But not anymore, IOUs in the signature is not enough to spread the word.

Mods will be always disturbed in any cases, as their job is to moderate and help.

We have stated several times, the issue is not about the members reporting issues with IOU's.

The issue is IOU's are not a part of the game.

Closing as this is a notice not a discussion topic.