dangershy

Forest of Eternal Night

The trees race by as you run. You don't know what it is you're running from, but you know that you won't live if it catches you. Your legs are burning, but you ignore the pain, wanting to escape. You feel the forest starting to go downhill. A burst of hope rushes into you and your legs pound on the forest floor. The slope wills you on, somehow. Giving you hope of escape. Not watching your step, your foot slams into a strayed root from a nearby tree and you're pitched forward, face-first. The world spins, making you nauseous. But something stops you in your path, without breaking your spine or any other bone. You peer over to see that you had flipped right into another person. A feminine face stares back at you. "Aye, what are you running from? That hurt," she says, holding her left shoulder.

"Sorry," you say in response. "I... I don't know what I was running from, to be honest. I don't even know how I got here." The girl sits, thinking. "I don't know how I got here, either," she says slowly. "I just... woke up. In the middle of this forest." she goes on. Tentatively, you ask, "What's your name?" "My name's Shyanne. May I ask what yours is?" she responds.

The Plot

You wake up in a forest, with the sick feeling that something is after you. You run, run anywhere but the direction you were facing when you woke up. You constantly feel afraid of the forest, even after hours of being in it. After a while you begin to realize something-- there was hardly any light in the forest. You might have been lucky enough to have had your phone in your pocket with a flashlight, or a little flashlight keychain. Its battery does eventually run out, though. You know something is stalking you through the forest, but it keeps itself hidden.

The Setting

Mainly the forest from the game Slender: The Eight Notes, or more commonly referred to as simply Slender. There are more notes and a few more landmarks than the game, but it will contain the exact same eight notes as from Slender, but a few added to it. Here is a map of the ingame forest.

The Antagonist/The Slenderman

Slenderman (or Slendy, in a more affectionate term) is the one who is pursuing the group. Originally believed to be only an urban legend, everyone dismissed it as a story to scare little kids-- until now. This dark forest, or the Eternal Night Forest, for a more fitting name, makes you feel as if the Slenderman isn't simple legend-- and he isn't. He will try to split the group, continually, and the longer the RP goes on then the more persistent he is in breaking the group, similar to when you play Slender every time you get a note. If your character watches Slenderman for too long, they will become frozen in fear, and usually pass out. After this, they will simply disappear without a trace, taken by the Slenderman.

The Rules

-- All RP/Forum rules

-- Maximum two characters per user

-- Link to the OOC is here. Please post any and all OOC and character forms here instead of in the RP.

-- If one of your characters is taken by the Slenderman, then you can make another character in their place.

-- You can wake with one device that gives light, whether it be a phone, flashlight, or keychain light. However, there is zero phone signal and absolutely no internet connection in the forest, however much you roam.

-- Minimum eight sentences per post. Extra-semi literate roleplay, so I expect good grammar and good description in posts.

-- The age range for characters is between fourteen (14) years old to nineteen (19) years old.

-- Fear levels are as followed:

1) Eh.

When your character sees Slenderman, they are not affected very much at all.

2) Huh-- What was that?

When your character sees Slenderman, they get a jolt, but not much more.

3) Errrr... wh-what's out there...?

When your character sees Slenderman, they usually go to crouch/hide behind someone or something.

4) GAAAAH! What was that thing?!

When your character sees Slenderman, they have a chance of running away from the group.

5) Heeerrrhhhh... protect meeee....

When your character sees Slenderman, they'll probably scale a tree, huddle up into a ball, or cling to the nearest person.

Character Form

[b]Username:[/b] 
[b]Character Name:[/b] 
[b]Gender:[/b] 
[b]Age:[/b] 
[b]Appearance:[/b] 
[b]Personality:[/b] 
[b]Fear Level:[/b] 
[b]Other:[/b] 

Edited by dangershy

Hello. Dangershy! smile.gif I'm Gist, and I'll be your Approver today~!

The trees raced by as you ran. You didn't know what it was you were running from, but you knew that you wouldn't live if it caught you. Your legs were burning, but you ignored the pain, wanting to escape. You felt the forest start going downhill. A burst of hope rushes into you and your legs pound on the forest floor. The slope willed you on, somehow. Giving you hope of escape. Not watching your step, you slam your foot on a strayed root from a nearby tree and get pitched face-forward. The world spins, making you nauseous. But something stops you in your path, without breaking your spine or any other bone. You peer over to see that you had flipped right into another person. A feminine face stared back at you. "Aye, what are you running from? That hurt," she said, holding her left shoulder.

"Sorry," you say in response. "I... I don't know what I was running from, to be honest. I don't even know how I got here." The girl sat, thinking. "I don't know how I got here, either," she said slowly. "I just... woke up. In the middle of this forest." she went on. Tentatively, you ask, "What's your name?" "My name's Shyanne. May I ask what yours is?" she responds.

What tense are you aiming for in this first section? I see both past and present, and it needs to stay locked in one tense until a new section.

You woke up in a forest, with the sick feeling that something was after you.

The plot's usually in present tense, so:

"woke" -> "wake"

"was" -> "is"

After a while you began to realize something-- there was little to no light in the forest.

"began" -> "begin"

"was" -> "is"

"little to no" -> "hardly any"

Minimum four sentences per post.

Four sentences is a really bad limit. Most people can write four sentences, and all you would see would be about two lines of text. Given that this is a semi-lit RP, this may or may not be good for you. Let me give you an example:

Richard woke up in the dark forest, trying to let his eyes adjust to the dim light. His head seemed to shriek in pain. He reached his hand up to it to find it slightly damp, and started to feel the fear before. For some reason, though, he couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of what made him scared, or why his head was wet for that matter...

That's four sentences...

1) Eh.

When your character sees Slenderman, they are not affected very much at all.

O_O That's... eye-searing. Maybe something like cornflowerblue would work better?

That's all I have for now~ ♥3♥

Eight sentences make for one good paragraph (though I've seen more). It all depends on what you want.

What tense do you want the first section to be in? Considering that it's the background, I'd envision it being in past tense.

Really, I want the intro to be present tense because everyone isn't quite grouped together, but they're not completely scattered, either.

Shyanne eyed you, waiting. A shout broke the air, and she jolted up. "What was that?" she asked. A few people broke into the area; one had blonde hair and large glasses; another had strawberry-blonde hair that looked slightly spiked; and the last, spiked black hair. "Who might you be?" Shyanne questioned them. Another shout craked through the silence. Not waiting for an answer, Shyanne jolted again then pelted off towards the voice. Thank God I have good night vision, she thought as she leaped over a fallen branch. Breaking into another small clearing, she saw someone being gripped by a pallid figure clad in a black suit. Upon closer inspection, the figure itself wasn't holding them; midnight-black tendrils were. The tendrils seemed to emerge from the figure's back. Suddenly, a distinct humming registered in Shyanne's ears. "Aye, put that person down!" she screamed at the figure. It suddenly seemed to notice her, and without further ado, dissolved into the darkness, still gripping the person. The last she saw of them were terrified eyes. They were green, shockingly green; a green so bright that it shouldn't have existed. Shyanne stood there, shaken. She looked around, the humming have left hear ears. It was a clear path where she came from; she hadn't cared to cover her tracks and had charged through. She trailed back down the path to the group, who seemed to be in deep conversation after her leave.

((I know, I did a bit of PP, but it was to get a small group together. Who was the person taken? Why was Shyanne so shaken by those eyes? We might not know. [Jeez, I'm acting like this is a fanfiction. xd.png]))

Edited by dangershy

Fiona looked around and followed the girl. "I'm Fiona, but I don't know how I get here." she admitted. She did not know why she was following the girl, but she wanted to make sure that she was alight. She looked around to see what was scaring her and saw nothing so far. She jumped over a tree branch trying to catch up with the girl. She frowned gently and kept up. "What are you running from?" she asked. She could tell that the girl was scared and got worried.

Nick walked forward, following the direction of the voice and the same one that the woman had taken. He came to a stop, as he looked how she came back and did the same thing he had done. Another young female, who introduced herself as Fiona, seemed to be startled just like Nick, but did not feel scared, or at least didn't look like she was scared or terrified. "Name's Nick... what happened back there?" The young teenager asked, trying to get more information the topic. "I swear I heard a yell or scream..." Nick added, suddenly spotting a figure in the background. What the... it can't be! "... did you, by chance, see a tall, white-skinned man with no face, long hands and any tendrils?" He spoke, keeping his gaze on the creature, as it went around a tree and out of his view. This was bad. Terrible, even. Slenderman... that urban legend... now reality?! Edited by SkullKrusher

Lawrence wandered through the forest. He had heard some shouts coming from his left, but dismissed them as people of lesser intelligence screwing around. Suddenly, a tall, pale, thin man who, seemingly, had no face. He jumped, then took off his glasses, wiped them off, and put them back on. When everything refocused, the man was gone.

Arryn meandered through the dark forest, though alert he jumped at the sound of some shouts. While he was walking, he turned his head to the left and saw a tall man with what looked like a blank face. He jumped and let out a squeak of surprise, stumbling back and fell on his bottom hard. He looked around, the person was gone. Arryn sighed and claimed lack of sleep and stood up again. Remembering that he had heard voices, he called out, "Hello? Is there anyone there?"

((Pinkie, I always check the OOC. Please don't post anything OOC in here.))

"There... was a... being. It was holding someone... I shouted at it and it disappeared." Shyanne replied to Nick. "That's exactly what it looked like." she said, remembering his appearance. "Why do you ask? Do you know anything about it?" she asked Nick.

(( Informationmon... what am I even thinking? *facepalm* ))

Nick had to keep calm as much as he could, or he'd risk to panic the others. He lowered his voice a bit, as to not let many of the group be informed to what the identity of such a being was. "Okay... you can call me mad or crazy, but that's Slenderman." Nick spoke, his throat slightly drying up the one second he said that last word. It made him shudder - all those stories he had read flashe back to him, and kept him on edge. "Slenderman is an urban legend. Or, at least, was, until now. He is rumored to have existed for thousands and thousands of years. Another thing to know is that he is a paranormal creature, watching him will make you dizzy and if you watch him enough, he will cause your vision to blink for a few seconds, giving him most of the time the opportunity to get close to you and take you somewhere or engulf you. Last thing - anyone, who has lights, I suggest you turn them on - this thing is a master at blending in the night." Nick spoke once more, seeing the Slenderman flash through the forest. Or he just stretched around. Not that it mattered - it had an intent to kill. The vision of Nick started to wobble, so he took his eyes off the creature and back to the group. They HAD to move quick soon, or that thing would rip them apart.

"Never heard of it, but it sounds bad." Fiona said. She turned on her flash light and kept her guitar case on her back. She got worried and wondered. "What happens to people if they never heard of Slender man before?" she asked. She looked around for any sign, but could not see it so easily. She looked back at the group and frowned. She then remembered something. "Name's Fiona, nice to meet you." she said to the group.

Arryn briskly walked to where he heard talking, though he tried to walk quietly as to not scare them off. If they had seen the same thing as them then there was a good chance he might be shot at or something if anyone had guns. Remembering his flashlight, Arryn stopped and pulled it out. It was a small light but it would have to do and was much better than nothing at all.

Lawrence saw a group of people huddled together. He wondered what was going on, and got closer to hear. When he heard someone mention the Slenderman, he stepped forward and said, "That's stupid. The Slenderman doesn't exist. It's a myth. Oh, yes, and by the way, my names Lawrence and you can call me Lawrence. The rest of you, don't believe this idiot, he seems to be full of crap."

"Then explain to me, Mr. Smartypants, what looks just like I described it like, lurks in the woods and causes nausea when you observe it, AND can kill a person without leaving any evidence of the killing? Do you not believe in me? I believed he wasn't true as well, until in that clearing, RIGHT there, I saw him. You get what I'm saying?" Nick turned to Lawrence, not actually at ALL liking the part about him being full of crap. "If I and Shayanne saw anything at all, then it's a tall, white-skinned, no-faced creature. If you want to see it for yourself, just take a couple of looks at the little clearing around... I'd say 50 yards of us to the right. It's still lurking around ourselves as I speak." Nick added, but almost forgot something else. "Oh, wait. If it isn't Slenderman, how would you know anything about what just happened? Did you murder that guy?" Finished Nick, his gaze flinching back and forth to follow the creature through the forest.

"Lawrence... then how do you explain seeing something that matches that exactly? And I've been in this forest longer than you. No sun has ever risen. The only light is that pale moon. I saw someone get taken by that thing." Shyanne responded to Lawrence. Those eyes came back to her and she shivered. "Wait..." she said, her eyes refocusing. Behind the group, she saw a note stuck to a tree. It was a scrawled note, seemingly by someone in terrible fright-- or something that had bad handwriting. "What's that?" she inquired, walking over to the note. She picked it up and read it. It read:

GET OUT NOW

"....Guys? What's with this note?" she asked, holding out the note. After a short mental debate, she gave it to Nick. He probably knows, she thought. Leaning against the tree, she also saw a scuffed and seemingly old flashlight. She flicked it on and a strong light came to life. "Woah. How does that work?" she wondered aloud. Something that looked old seemed brand new-- or it had fresh batteries. How long had it been there, she wondered. Well, a light is a light, despite how old it seems, she thought privately to herself. She flicked it off for the time being.

Nick nodded to Shayanne in agreement. "It's just like that, Lawrence, and I suggest that at least you listen to me for a while." He said, then suddenly saw that Shayanne gave him a note. It was wrinkled a lot, and seemd worn too. It was dirty and wet too. Flipping the page around, Nick suddenly saw the message written on top of the piece of paper. It seemed to be written in bloody red, and it seemed to be written with fresh blood and much, much more things he did NOT want to know about, even if he was alive any time at all.

GET OUT NOW

That. Was. Bad. "Oh hell... this is bad. If there's one thing a man can recognize to find that Slenderman is somewhere around here, it's these kinds of notes! They're said to be written by a man, person or creature under his ruling - most people called him Masky. A person or creature, ready to do anything for Slendy, and he should be extremely close to us... " Nick said, starting to look around desperately, folding the note and placing it in his pocket.

Edited by SkullKrusher

Shyanne twitched at the thought of a second being, under control of that pallid being. She flashed the light back on and waved the strong beam about, as if to ward away some demon... but what if that thing is a demon? she thought. Deeming it safe -- at least a little -- she flicked it back off. "Well... should we keep moving? I think that's the best idea, personally," she suggested. "It's harder to keep track of something moving, anyways..." she took another glance around. After hearing of "Masky," she was feeling twitchy. She didn't want to meet it, certainly... something possessed.

((Hmm, should Masky come along? If you'd like, I could place him in your hands, Skull. You seem good at this.

On another note, whoo, second page!))

Edited by dangershy

Lawrence sneers, "There are perfectly reasonable scientific explanations for this. Many gases can cause hallucinations, and these 'notes' could just be a joke you made. I'm not going anywhere with idiots who believe in monsters." With that, Lawrence turns away and starts to leave.

Arryn walked to keep up, tripping unfortunately making a lot of noise and falling on his face. He looked up, hopefully he didn't make a really bad introduction, as he just wanted to join them. It was better in his opinion to be with a group than by himself. "Um..." He said, awkwardly.

Leven, who hadn't said a word the entire time, walked quietly and cautiously. His breathing was shallow and he looked spent. His arms were crossed as he walked, the only security he could afford at the moment. He didn't want to speak at all, not after what he heard from Nick. He didn't want to accept this reality. Despite what he felt in his heart, he spoke at last.

"Someone should stop him... this is exactly what the Tall Man wants..."

His hands began to shake as his anxiety grew. If Nick was right about everything he said, then leaving the group was the last thing Lawrence should've done.

"Someone do something quick!"

"Aye, if you're that stubborn, then. You're going out by your own will, Lawrence. It's not our fault if you get taken or hurt." Shyanne called as Lawrence drew farther away. It was his irrational move to go striding away into the forest. It would be his fault when he got injured. Shyanne wouldn't accept him putting the blame on her or Nick. "Let him go. If he wishes to be a hardhead and not listen, let him." she said to Leven. "Anyways, if we're going to have something to do out here, we'd best find the rest of those notes." Shyanne said, and beckoned for the group to follow as she walked opposite of where Lawrence had left.