DragonSpirit009

To be a Dragon's Rider

When Narcissa woke up she realised they were no longer flying above the sea. In fact they weren’t flying at all. Sitting up she saw that they were surrounded by cliffs and large boulders. Scraggy looking trees and bushes were dotted around here and there, but none of them appeared very healthy. The very air felt ominous and made Naricssa’s skin prickle.

She shifted slightly and turned her head to look behind her and was taken back by what she saw. Spread out before her was a vast plain. There were rivers and forests and in the far distance, just on the edge of sight, mountains. Looking around at her immediate surroundings Narcissa realised they must be on a mountain themselves. Nothing else accounted for the view.

Movement caught her eye and Narcissa turned to look. Something was flying through the air above one of the forests, but it was far too large to be a bird. It was another dragon. After a few minutes Narcissa saw that it was not the only one. There were many others spread out across the plain, some bathing in the rivers or flying or just waling around, going about their own business.

Narcissa looked down at the dragon that had brought her here. It appeared to be sleeping. Obviously the fighting and the long flight had tired it out. She wondered if she should try and creep away, but where would she go? She did not know this place and with all these dragons about she would be utterly defenceless. She would be safer staying put. If the black dragon had wanted to hurt her, which for some reason she knew he didn’t, he would have done so by now.

However she had a need which she couldn’t ignore. Man, woman, or dragon, when nature called you had to answer. Narcissa slowly and carefully slid off the black dragon’s back and cautiously began to edge away. There was a likely looking bush with sickly but large leaves on a nearby ridge. Given the situation Narcissa knew she couldn’t hope for better.

Reaching the tree was a little more difficult than she hoped. There was a gully hidden behind a boulder between them and the angles of the cliff made it a difficult jump. She landed on the other ledge with barely and inch to spare and had to grab onto a nearby rock to prevent herself falling backwards. Sighing with relief Narcissa made her way to the tree.

When she was ready to make her way back Narcissa saw that the return trip would be tricky. The boulder she had leapt down from was too high for her to jump back up to, especially with the gully immediately before it. There wasn’t much in the way of handholds either. As she was studying the surrounding cliff face to find an alternative route she heard a faint but worrying cracking noise. As it grew louder she looked down. The ledge she was standing on was giving way.

Narcissa turned and tried to leapt to safety back towards the tree but she was too late. The ledge collapsed and dropped her into the gully. Narcissa slid down with a cry and tumbled to a ledge much further down the mountain. When she came to a stop she took a few moments to get her breath back before getting to her feet. Looking up she saw that she had fallen a far distance from where the black dragon lay. Could she get back? Had the noise woken him up?

As she was contemplating this she became aware she was not alone. Narcissa turned and saw another dragon, bright red and much larger than the black one. It had paused in the act of digging a hole in the mountain side to stare at her. It looked shocked to see her and even a little horrified.

“You!?”

For the moment the two of them stood froze, then the red dragon gave a roar and charged towards her.

“I’ll kill you!”

Suddenly Narcissa found herself pushed to the ground and shielded by a familiar wing. The black dragon had come to her rescue and placed its self between her and her attacker.

“Mine!” he hissed.

The red dragon stopped its charge and stared in disbelief.

“Bryagh? You are not serious?”

The red dragon stared from Bryagh’s threatening gaze to the small girl cowering beneath him. Realization dawned and he growled in fury.

“It seems nothing is beneath you after all Bryagh. The king will hear of this.”

“You say that like I should care” snorted Bryagh.

The red dragon hissed and took to the air, beating his wings furiously. When he had gone Bryagh stood back to allow Narcissa to rise to her feet.

“Do not go anywhere without me” he warned her. “We are not loved.”

He turned and began to climb back up the mountain to his ledge. For lack of any other option Narcissa scrambled up after him. Bryagh curled up and allowed Narcissa to climb over his tail and sit against his belly. Bryagh looked around for any further threats, covered Narcissa with a wing, and went back to sleep.

Edited by Fortune86

Agares continued to fly over the see, an unconcsious Zen clasped firmly in his right front claw's. Soon after the flight Zen had passed out, most likely due to the fatigue and the stress of his most recent ordeal not to mention that being on ground level, then in the sky so suddenly took a lot out of him....

Agares glanced down at his soon to be rider and grunted, "... is he really the one...". A puff of smoke escaped his nostrils as he quickened his pace towards the island.

The red dragon pounded his way through the air. He felt sick to his stomach with fear and worry. Who was that girl? That family had been wiped clean away hadn’t it? But there had been rumours of a child, too weak and sick for combat, which had been raised by servants in a hidden place. And the shape of the girl’s face and the colour of her eyes had been too similar for comfort. Even the shade of her hair was the same. She must be a descendant.

He spotted the King’s unmistakeable form flying towards Vulcas and swooped in nearby. When he was close enough to be heard over the rushing wind he spoke.

“My King” he said in a low but urgent voice. “I fear I may bring grave news.”

Edited by Fortune86

Nearly reaching Vulcas Elena spotted a red dragon approaching them in the sky. She quickly gave Draken a pat on his scales letting him know someone was on his way. The king turned his head slightly towards the approaching dragon wonder what information he has to share. It was within seconds that the dragon reached them and stated he needed to speak to the king urgently.

“Very well. We will talk on Vulcas.” He spoke. They flew in sync with each other for a few minutes giving Elena a good chance to look at the red dragon, memorizing him in case the cross paths again. They both landed on the rocky shores of Vulcas, a good distance way from the mining villages.

“Well what is it?” the king ordered the red dragon, Elena leaned in her saddle to listen closely to the important message.

The red dragon hesitated with a glance at Elena. He was still uncomfortable around humans, being old enough to remember the time when their kinds warred, but she was the King's rider and therefore privy to his message.

"It's Bryagh" he explained. "He has returned to the islands. With a rider of all things. I've just met him in the Mountains of Bach."

He paused before continuing. The worst bit of news was still to come.

"And his rider is no ordinary girl either. She's the spitting imagine of Orrin. I fear she may be related."

Draken narrowed his eyes as the old dragon spoke, Bryagh had been always a problem even when he was just a hatchling. Elena could feel the rumbling or anger under her but she wasn’t sure of what, the fact that Bryagh did something again or this girl. Elena knew the history of the dragon slayers. Draken had forced her to learn each and every one of them over the years in fact he forced her to learn basically the history of everything.

The king slightly turned he head to get a view of his rider and to Elena this was a signal she was use to. Within a instant the king lunged himself at the red dragon, throwing his weight on him while he used his claws to pin his head down. The king roared in the pinned red dragons face before they looked each other eye to eye.

“Let go of the past old one. If not it will consume and kill you.”

Edited by DragonSpirit009

The red dragon whimpered. A strange sound from a lizard nearly forty foot long, but he knew better than to struggle.

"But Sire" he pleaded. "What if she has come to kill us all? Bryagh has no love for our kind. He is a cannibal. He has fed on our dead and our young."

“Don’t judge for what you don’t know.” The king hissed. “I know what he has done and he had served his punishment.” The king continued to hiss pressing the red dragon’s skull harder into ground. Elena held on her saddle as she sat silently listening to their conversation. Clearly this dragon has a problem with these two she thought to herself.

“If this truly bothers you we will approach them, for now go worry about other things.” Elena spoke out loud making sure both dragons heard her. The king snorted then pushed his head once more into the ground before he finally climbed off.

“Very well Elena.” He spoke looking to his rider then returned his gaze to the dragon. “Speak to no one of this or I’ll kill you myself.’’

When the pressure was released the red dragon shakily climbed to his feet. He dropped his head low as a sign of respect, then spread his wings and fled to the skies. He had done his duty and reported his fears. He could only hope that the King would be able to prevent any further trouble from Bryagh.

Amacules looked up to the mountain to see the king and another dragon talking to each other.

Soon, both dragons went their separate ways. one took off into the skies, while the dragon king climbed up the mountain.

"What do you think happened?" Nepula asked, curious.

"I don't know, but it would have to be something important," Amacules answered, "no one can just talk to the king willingly."

Alsia was soaring calmly over a woodland brook, the morning rays dancing off her beautiful blue scales. Meanwhile a young boy named Orion was hunting through the woods nearby. His famliy never starved but he loved the taste that only deer meat could offer, and this was a fairly routine hunting trip and he had his bow with him, 13 arrows, the bow was very well made and in amazing competition. He hunted with a bow rather than a gun because to him the meat doesn't taste as good when gun hunted, and that the bow was a little more fair to the deer. Little did he know this would turn into more than a regular hunting trip. The paths of both Alsia and Orion were slowly coming together and it would change their lives...forever. Then Alsia heard it, ever so faint at first but unmistakable...the melody, and this one was beautiful, it told of something true and amazing. She began to follow the sound into the woods. Orion was stalking a deer he had found when he saw it had run into a clearing directly in front of him. Just as Orion nocked an arrow in place and drew his bow Alsia landed next to the deer in the clearing, it instantly shot off deep into the woods. Orion's eyes were wide as plates, in disbelief a dragon was right in front of him, he carefully set down his bow. By now the melody was vibrant and loud to Alsia and she began to scan around the trees curiously for the source. Slowly Orion emerged from his hiding place, their eyes locked for a minute before either knew what to do. Orion put one foot in front of the other and slowly advanced, all while holding eye contact, it felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest, a mix of fear and excitement held him. Alsia walked slowly to meet him, she lowered her head before him and Orion instinctively put his hand on her snout, not knowing why himself. Orion's eyes instantly glowed with an intense blue color. A swirl of memories, knowledge and other things flooded his brain, as well as the unique bond that now formed between them. After it stopped Orion's eyes returned to their normal blue and he withdrew his hand. "Orion...will you be my rider?" "Yes" He said without even thinking, it was almost as if he was in a dream. Going off knowledge that seemed familar yet somehow alien to him. He ran back to grab his bow and returned to climb onto Alsia's back. "Are you ready, we need to go somewhere." Orion nodded and continued almost as if he was in a trance, Alsia behaved similarly, as if they were both guided by an instinct as simple as hunger or thirst. Alsia's mezmorizing wings beat the wind hard as she took once more to the sky, once she reached high up Orion held on tight, he was nervous but not afraid, and after a long while of flight Orion layed on her back asleep, arms gently wrapped around her neck. She continued her gentle flight. Eventually a breath taking sight came into view as Orion woke up...The island, brimming with dragons of all kinds. "We're here..." Alsia breathed, taking in the view of the island, it was magnificent.

((Everyone can head to the training area once they arrive at the island... Skullete-thetamer 1 you can help the new comers understand what is happening. Zach will be making his way to the training area as well.

Elena and the king will arrive once everyone is there.))

((got it))

Amacules sighed.

"Might as well go to the training center now," she admitted and gave the order to fly. Nepula opened her feathered wings and took off into the air to the top of the mountain.

“You should learn to be less physical.” Elena stated as the older dragon flew away. Draken didn’t show much reaction to her words but he it didn’t mean that he did not listen. Finally in a calmer state the king made his way towards one of the main mining villages. They were greeted by young hatchlings and children alike but today they had no time to entertain them. Walking down the road a rather large man with a rock type dragon approached them with a smile.

“Rider Elena! Sire! I believe you’ve come with the order?” the man asked cheerfully with a little bow. The king returned a bow greeting the man while Elena slid of her dragon and greeted the man face to face.

“Yes. I believe you already know that the new arrivals will come today.” She spoke noticing the man nodding in understanding. “Will you please provide the weapons for them to choose from? We will need it before sunset.”

“Of course Rider Elena. My boys have been working hard at melting metals since we heard the kings call. They will be ready.”

Elena gave a pleased smile, greeting the man and letting him attend to his work, the young woman made her way back on to Draken. Readied in her seat Draken and Elena said their good byes to the young ones and took to the sky.

“Make a stop at the training area first. We need to talk to Nepula and Amacules first before we tend to that other little problem.” Elena called out over the rushing wind. Draken nodded and took direction to the main island once again.

((@ skullete-thetamer_1: I’m going to wait till Nepula and Amacules reached the training area before I let the Elena and Draken land))

Nepula and Amacules landed into the training center, pretty empty for now.

"Well we're here," Amacules said as she slid off her dragon. Nepula turned her head and looked around.

"This sure brings back memories," she said. Amacules nodded.

In a few minutes the training area came into sight and without surprise Nepula and Amacules was already there. Since they were there to help them it would make sense for them to be there early.

Draken approached slowly not wanting to startle them this early in the morning. His wings caused a few windy currents and landed with a soft thud behind rider and dragon.

“Morning Amacules! Morning Nepula!” Elena greeted with a smile as she slid of Draken’s side. “I have a little task for you two.”

((Skullete-thetamer_1 I don’t want to be fussy but can you maybe put a little bit more to your posts. Especially the last one bothers me.))

“Just something little.” Elena spoke as she walked towards Amacules. “As you know new riders would be arriving soon. I have a feeling some of them might have come from a long way and have no idea what is going on.” Elena paused for a bit thinking of her own encounter with the islands people and the fact that dragons exists.

“I need you to explain to them what is happening and of course show them where they can clean up.” Elena pointed towards a set of buildings to the left close to the training area. They were more than big enough to house hold both rider and dragon.

“There are clean clothes they can wear and something to eat. I’ll be back later, Draken and I have a little matter to attend to.”

((sorry, it's just that I'm pretty bad at details and at the last post there wasn't much to do))

"You can count on me," Amacules said and bowed, "I will see you later." I wonder what she needs to do at this time? She wondered.

After, Amacules looked toward the buildings nearby and back to the skies. Nepula watched her and finally talked.

"Memories?"

"Yup. The training, being together, everything" Amacules replied. She seemed pretty distant now, flash back into younger times. Nepula lowered her head.

"Do you want to ride again like old times?" she asked. Amacules grinned and climbed on. Nepula took off, leaving a trail of red feathers, but they. Stayed above the training center at all times.

((I understand… That’s why most of my posts contains a lot of nonsense tongue.gif))

Elena thanked Amacules and Nepula before she returned to her own dragon. Draken lowered himself slightly to let his rider get on and when she was settled they took to the skies.

“Where did that old dragon said we will find them?” Elena asked leaning closer so that Draken could hear. “On the mountains of Bach.” He spoke and looked up to the sky. “We will be flying high young one.” With those words Draken headed towards the clouds hiding between them as they flew. Elena never liked this height due to the thin air but the more they did so the more she got use to it.

Draken circled the mountains looking closely where Bryagh and his rider might be. It took him awhile to find him due to his scale blending in with the shadows of the mountains. It seemed they were sleeping but both Elena and Draken knew Bryagh would be on his guard. There was only one way to approach him without letting him try getting away.

Folding his wings the king did once again a steep dive but this time towards a fellow kin. Elena clinged too her saddle, feeling the pressure of air changing around her. Within minutes, the king’s wings folded open causing Draken landed with a tremor in front of Bryagh. His wings was still open hiding his own rider and supporting his balance on the mountain.

“Wake up louse.” Draken bellow with a deep voice looking down at the dragon.

Bryagh sensed the king's approach but saw no reason to disturb himself until he landed nearby and yelled at him. For a few moments it appeared that Bryagh had not heard his King's command until he opened one red eye to stare up at him.

He yawned and rose his head a little before looking up at Draken.

"Why Sire" said in a polite but mocking tone. "What brings you here to these mountains? I trust you are still in good health?"

He sniffed the air and his lips curled into a grin.

"And your rider seems to be quite healthy as well. Nobody important passed away during my incarceration did they? I am a little behind with the news."

An island approached Agares and Zen as he flew across the ocean. It was not the island they were heading to, yet something on its sandy shores had caught his attention. This island, as far as Agares was concerned was uninhabited by humans, and if it were... those humans did well to conceal themselves from prying eyes.

A washed up whale rolled with the waves, its gargantuan size preventing it from returning to the ocean... an easy meal for Agares, who in one of his rare moments of kindness decided he might as well put the brutish sea creature out of its misery. Agares circled in the sky, much like a vulture would when confronted with an easy meal, before descending to the ground below.

Landing on the sand, Agares looked down at the unconcious boy in his claws, before grunting and tossing him aside, his body rolling to a stop a few yards away from Agares. With no more hindrances, Agares walked over to the whale, as he did so his body beginning to reflect the sunlight as it turned to silvery titanium. With his claw planted firmly on the head of the whale, he snaked his sharpened tail around, before plunging it into is flesh, silencing and ending its torture.

With the creature dead, Agares bathed it in flames before beginning to devour it.

Edited by TotallyDrow

Elena slightly looked from behind Draken’s shoulder but he made sure she was out of sight blocking her view once again. Folding his wings he covered Elena completely offering little sight of any sort. Clearly he didn’t want her to encounter Bryagh, he had always tried to hide her when he felt that something was a threat of some sort.

“Stop with your mockery and let your rider stand before me Bryagh.” Draken spoke narrowing his eyes.

Bryagh glared at Draken but stood up and spread his wings, revealing Narcissa.

She had heard the short conversation between the two dragons but had been unable to see anything due to Bryagh's wing. With it out of the way she saw that the Dragon King, as she understood he was, was much larger than Bryagh. He was even bigger than the red dragon from before.

Narcissa stood behind Bryagh's right foreleg and clung to it like a child holding onto their's mother skirt. Bryagh dropped his wings and folded them slightly, ready to hide Narcissa again from view at a moment's notice.