Zovesta

Gravity Falls

There isn't a Gravity Falls thread? Why.

If you guys haven't seen Gravity Falls yet, I'm officially disowning you.

Not really sure how to describe it, other than being one of the very few shows nowadays that's actually good. It's pretty much a cartoon version of those shows like Goosebumps and Eerie, Indiana, only it doesn't take itself seriously. Here's the actual description:

"The show follows the adventures of 12-year-old twin brother and sister Dipper and Mabel Pines, whose summer plans are ruined when their parents send them off to their Great Uncle Stan in the town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. "Grunkle" Stan lives in and runs The Mystery Shack, a tourist trap which overcharges unlucky visitors for a glimpse at the world's most bizarre museum, but little do Dipper and Mabel know that there really is something very strange going on and they must rely on one another to find their way in this unfamiliar town."

I wish it focused more on Bigfoot and things, and a little less on Dipper, but it's still a pretty ace show. Has some nice hidden messages, too. :3 Give it a go!

(will never stop making threads for my favourite baby cartoons)

Love love love this show. <3 Unfortunately I haven't seen all the episodes yet. D: So far my favorite is the Halloween episode. Mabel's definitely my favorite character.

Edited by satyr76

I've seen all but the 11th. 6_9 And agreed on both accounts. Dipper is ok, Grunkle Stan is pretty great, but no one can really compare to Mabel.

I hadn't heard of this show until recently (I stopped really watching the Disney Channel years ago) but now that I've seen it, it's grown on me. I love Grunkle Stan because of his cheapskate and scamming ways. Mabel is also pretty awesome.

I also find myself pretty disappointed that the next episode won't be out for a while >.>

This show is so adorable-y weird. Mabel forever. <3

I can't wait until they come out with new eppies. o3o

I recently got into the show- so far I'm really enjoying it! Sure, part of the show are creepy and occasionally borderline scary but the writer does a good job with inserting good humor into the mix.

Me, my siblings, and my cousins all love this show <3

Last week I made a replica of Journal 3 using pages from an old notebook. I'm still working on the monocle-thingy and the rest of the contents. smile.gif

user posted image

Gravity Falls is one of my FAVORITE shows! It's just all-around great. I think it's my second favorite show after Steven Universe.

Last week I made a replica of Journal 3 using pages from an old notebook. I'm still working on the monocle-thingy and the rest of the contents. smile.gif

user posted image

Whoa! Thats a pretty cool replica so far!

user posted image

How cool! You did a great job. o3o

Gravity Falls is definitely my problematic fave.

I'm honestly kind of bummed out because it's a great and well-written show and the (straight) relationships portrayed in it are really excellently done - in most other shows Gideon would probably have been portrayed as right to be angry about Mabel's rejection, but GF makes it clear that he never had any sort of claim on her and going to such lengths to get her back wasn't romantic, just incredibly creepy. But then there's the occasional really problematic joke, and I'm just like...nyeeeeeeeugh. And I could live with that if it weren't for the fans (the same people who watch the show frame by frame to find and decode all the ciphers!) who violently defend those jokes by saying that it's "just a cartoon" and that we shouldn't be "taking it so seriously". :I Can we just please enjoy things while also acknowledging that they're not perfect paragons of flawless art.

That aside though I'm REALLY EXCITED about season 2. They've definitely been amping up the creepy supernatural aspect and the plot is Going Places and I am generally pumped!!

Whoa! Thats a pretty cool replica so far!

How cool! You did a great job. o3o

Thanks! ^o^

~

I liked the latest episode. It was adorable and it's pretty cool to find out more about a character's past.

I LOVE Gravity Falls; I consider it one of the two best cartoons going on right now. In my honest opinion Nickelodeon has gone to trash and has to resort to Spongebob reruns and terrible live-acting shows. Legend of Korra is phenomenal... but that is literally their only good show now.

Gravity Falls humor has an enormous range; there's humor for both adults and kids but doesn't provide any significant offense to anyone. (Unlike in the Spongebob seasons right before the movie... whoa. Some of that stuff was REALLY bad.)

My favorite character is Grunkle Stan. He's so snooty and hilarious.

But then there's the occasional really problematic joke, and I'm just like...nyeeeeeeeugh. And I could live with that if it weren't for the fans (the same people who watch the show frame by frame to find and decode all the ciphers!) who violently defend those jokes by saying that it's "just a cartoon" and that we shouldn't be "taking it so seriously". :I Can we just please enjoy things while also acknowledging that they're not perfect paragons of flawless art.

wat

I'm confused by like everything you just said. :U I don't think I've ever heard any "problematic" jokes? I'm not trying to defend it, I just don't remember anything insulting/problematic/whatever offhand. o3o

Ooh, I love this show! It kind of reminds me of Invader Zim in a way - I think Dib and Dipper would have gotten along rather well. I love how the plot is developing, I'm excited for the next episode!

Aww, Soos. ;~;

But gosh, that time guy is annoying. But Lolph and Dundgren LOL. i c wat u did thar, Gravity Falls.

~

wat

I'm confused by like everything you just said. :U I don't think I've ever heard any "problematic" jokes? I'm not trying to defend it, I just don't remember anything insulting/problematic/whatever offhand. o3o

I can't think of a specific joke right this second, but the WHOLE ep of Soos and the Real Girl was suuuuuuper grossly fetishize-y.

I can't think of a specific joke right this second, but the WHOLE ep of Soos and the Real Girl was suuuuuuper grossly fetishize-y.

Oh, yeah, I guess I can see that. It was mostly with the owner of the animatronics, though, IIRC. I suppose Soos and Giffany could be seen a bit like that, but I didn't really see anything necessarily "problematic" with either instance.

I was hoping there was a thread for this series. =D It's by far my favorite animated series ever created. Just. The humor, the character development, the relationships, the mysteries - everything.

Though the random hiatuses are kind of agonizing. I heard we're not getting any new episodes until February at the least (January's Disney/XD lineup didn't show anything new)...

Just got into and started going through the show last month and it is now one of my top three favorite ongoing series (the other two being Adventure Time and Steven Universe). I love it a lot and I want MOOORREEE.

Kinda funny how I got into it. One of my friends got me curious enough to try checking it out, so I recorded some episodes. I was going to just do what I did with AT and just watch the reruns as they came as opposed to going through them in order (which did get pretty confusing with AT, but it was fun). The first few episodes I watched were

- Summerween (one of those episodes that's pretty much interchangeable with other ones, although I did spend the entire episode wondering who the heck Soos was, since I'd never seen him before and he apparently wasn't part of the Pines family and I assumed the Mystery Shack was just their house or something)

- Society of the Blind Eye (I watched this one because the AT fandom was going all "Fiddleford McGucket = Simon Petrikov!" all over Tumblr. I wasn't even familiar with anything I was supposed to have already seen before, and this episode still gave me SO MANY EMOTIONS)

- Sock Opera (This is the one that finally convinced me to just watch all the episodes in order. Waaay too many questions. I loved this episode, though. Bill is the most hilariously fabulous creep. It's so fun to watch him troll Dipper while possessing his body.)

But then I went through them all in order and now I've seen all of them. Only problem now is the wait for new ones...

Also I'm getting a Bill plushie for Christmas.

It's one of the best shows of the present day. I've actually stopped watching TV because a lot of the shows are hideous (what happened to values???) but I only watch now because of Gravity Falls and a few other cartoons.<3

I don't care that everyone makes fun of me because I'm too 'old' to watch cartoons. GF will ALWAYS be one of my favorites no matter what. For me, there is no age when it comes to cartoons. Anyone can watch and enjoy it.

Just recently started watching GF with my little brother and we're both loving the series. Surprised it took me this long to hop aboard, actually. Favorite characters so far are Dipper, Stan, Soos, and Bill Cipher.

Ehvw vkrz hyhu!

I love Gravity Falls. It is one of my top five shows, which are all cartoons. i am obsessed with cartoons and have a problem.

i am obsessed with cartoons and have a problem.

Only problem with Gravity Falls obsession is figuring out how to survive the wait for new episodes. Especially with not even a whole lot of reruns to pass the time and no idea when to expect more.

Oh also here's the Bill plushie I got myself for Christmas. He's very soft and cute! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Edited by PollyCockatrice