TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

How can people call this decision considerate?

Quite easily. Because it is. There are worse thing than not getting eggs. Real life things !

It's going against the majority, people who weren't affected by Sandy.

And aren't you glad you aren't ? I'd rather not get eggs than live through a storm like that, myself.

Personally I live in New York, I wasn't affected, and I planned very hard and moved a lot of things to the weekend to be available tomorrow. Glad to know that it was worthless and I won't get a single new egg.

Lucky you not to be affected. Lucky me - nor am I. But I have no idea if I can get on line on Saturday. Luck of the draw - I too had tomorrow all set up. I will get over it.

Poor TJ cannot please everyone. I am just glad I am not in the storm area. I will struggle whenever it is - not the fastest connection - but making sure as many as possible can join in is the best thing to do, IMHO. I have no idea what I am doing on Saturday.... but life always gets in the way of someone. I am sure there are people who couldn't have got on tomorrow even if all had been well.

Let's not argue over this.

Zombification will happen tomorrow though, right ? Just so I know - as otherwise my tombstones will all go...

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think it's a lovely gesture TJ for those folks who've suffered power outages and property damage that they're dealing with. But, I do wonder why the Halloween Dragons couldn't have been dropped for two days--to accommodate both the folks who, like myself, took time off from work (or school) to be able to pick them up on Halloween proper (and were lucky enough to have power) and a later date (whatever worked best) for those who are unable to be online for the scheduled date. Just a thought.

I think it is very kind what you did, TJ, but I do agree that the eggs should drop both dates. Some people are now unable to get the eggs or will have more trouble catching them.

I'm sad to see so many demands this have been announced earlier or it be changed because people had already rearranged their schedule for this and now can't make it. There are people whose lives are in danger from this natural disaster. People who could face extensive property damage and the time and money that comes with that if they make it out okay. That's not something they can help. Your schedule is. And we did receive warning that things could change if necessary because of Hurricane Sandy.

And while I'd love to get the new Halloween draggies and just see what they are, there are people who aren't expected to have power back until the 10th. I think it'd actually be reasonable to push this back further.

Anyway, I hope everyone just stays safe! The safety of people is a lot more important than an event on a gaming site. <3

~

Judging by this:

All other Halloween events will proceed as planned and will end tomorrow night at 23:59.

I assume that zombies will happen tonight, but if someone wants to test that out for us and let us know later, that'd be nice. =p

Poor TJ cannot please everyone

Sure he can. He can allow the drop to proceed as planned for those of us that moved heaven and earth to be able to be here, and he can do another drop on the 3rd for the victims of Sandy. Viola'! Everyone's happy.

Right now, I'm not happy. My plans are out the window. Yeah, I feel for those affected by Sandy, but that doesn't change the fact that plans I worked hard to make are now in the toilet. I don't know if I can get on here on the 3rd, I shifted everything to the weekend to have Halloween free. Is it fair that those that made plans to be here and did backflips to arrange it go without eggs now?

That's not something they can help. Your schedule is.

Yes, my schedule is something I can help. And I 'helped' myself by working to arrange it so that I could be here! mad.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

^ I agree with all these points about two drops.

Plus people are forgetting that if they've been affected by Sandy, I'm pretty sure DC would be the last things on their mind.

Sock: I extend my best wishes toward Sandy's victims, but some people /can't/ change their schedules. Why not drop them twice? That's the best option. Win-win. Maybe even put in a filter so that if you caught some on the 31st, you can't on the second drop (If possible).

Edited by PieMaster

~

Judging by this:

I assume that zombies will happen tonight, but if someone wants to test that out for us and let us know later, that'd be nice. =p

All the same, I would really wish if TJ would give a definitive answer.

So that means I don't have to get up at 5 am tomorrow because I'll be at university all day and at my best friend's house in the evening and I still want to get my eggs. That's pretty much okay for me wink.gif

But I have to agree many of the others that it might be better to have two days, although the drop at saturday is better for me. There are many people who are affected by the hurricane, but the majority is not. And I read so many times that someone was going to take the day off tomorrow and has to work at the weekend instead and such things, just to get the eggs. I really think it would be better to have tomorrow AND saturday, although it would mean that the new Halloween dragons will be the most common holiday breed ever wink.gif

Blergh, I don't really like that, but only because I don't want to wait three more days, saturday is actually the better date for me since I won't have to go to the university then.

Well, I think I'll just go hunt some more past years' halloween eggs since I don't have to be unlocked tomorrow.

Make the best out of it

I don't see a problem with two drop dates either.

If it bothers TJ so much that some people might be able to grab eggs on both of those dates, just put a temporary scroll limit on the dragons until after the 3rd. Hatchlings would still be growing up then, right? For the people that have IOUs set up for extra dragons? That way, the people who made arrangements to be here on Halloween can get their dragons as well as the hurricane victims.

Just a thought.

There are people whose lives are in danger from this natural disaster. People who could face extensive property damage and the time and money that comes with that if they make it out okay. That's not something they can help.

And what about all the time through out the year that other natural disasters have taken place all over the world?

This is an international game. While it is nice that TJ is thinking of others who will be without internet during the event, it is unfair to the rest of the world to CANCEL the scheduled drop.

I live in the Gulf, come talk to me about hurricanes and property damage and I will tell you they are part of life.

Thank you, Sock, you make a very good point.

I don't even live near the coast, I am in the wonderfully cold state of Michigan, where we are /still/ being affected by both the Hurricane and the storms around us. No one in my neighborhood has power, and I know several people who play in my town. Just in my town alone we have well over 70,000 people without electricity.

We're all grateful that the date has been pushed back, even though it is still possible that some of us might not have power.

Saturday is a whole day, twenty-four whole hours.

There has to be at least one point in time that you can log onto the computer, it would be impossible for you not to, unless you're telling yourself that you can't.

I remember that I would sneak away from events or sneak some time in before work/school or before bed so that I could pick up the Holiday egg for that day. The users saying they will have no time on Saturday, you /will/ at some point during the day have time.

Yes, it might not be what you planned, but when it comes to nature, things can change at a moment's notice.

I'm glad he is taking into consideration the victims of Hurricane Sandy, but I think the thing that bothers me the most about this is the really late notice about this.

TJ has been very aware of the Hurricane for quite a good while, if anything I thought a delay would have been announced much earlier, not this late into the game.

I don't think I have any plans for the 3rd but I made sure to have spare time for Halloween as well so I'm not exactly pleased about this either.

I respect the empathy behind this idea and think it's very kind to those who are affected by Sandy but I work all weekend. That will make this release pretty much impossible for me (12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Bummer.

Is there any possibility at all of doing two drops? It definitely isn't fair to the people without power due to Sandy if they miss it, but it's also really not fair to those of us who planned specifically for tomorrow if the drop is cancelled tomorrow, either.

What if power isn't restored to areas affected by Sandy on the 3rd? Wasn't power out for a week or more with Katrina?

I was really looking forward to this release. I'm bummed.

Same here.

I usually can't be on-line during weekends, so this change means I probably won't be able to get any Halloween eggs sad.gif

I understand the reason of the change, but it'll be more fair if there were two drops: One the 31 as usual and another one when the areas affected have power again.

My best wishes are with Sandy victims.

However, as I can only get to a computer on a weekday, I guess i'm also not going to get any '12 halloweens.

Sockpuppet Strangler:

FWIW my schedule is absolutely not changeable. It was a couple months ago when I requested not to work Halloween, which I did in part so I could catch the new dragons for myself and for my kids who love to collect dragons as well. I will miss the drop over the weekend. It sucks for me, and it sucks for my kids, and apparently for a lot of other people. I recognize that my little first world problem of "but I wanted dragons!" is petty and ridiculous compared to dealing with a hurricane. But I still wanted dragons and now I can't get them, which is disappointing.

Like I said, I think it's a very nice gesture. I'm very lucky to not have been affected by the hurricane in any significant way and my thoughts and prayers are with the people dealing with this storm. I hope they stay safe and can put their lives back together quickly.

I do think there's a strong argument to be made that people whose lives are in danger or whose homes and belongings have been destroyed really probably could not care less about the new dragons. I also agree with whoever said earlier in the thread that it doesn't make sense to inconvenience the majority of players for a minority who - for a very real, horrible, and tragic reason - probably won't log on on the 3rd either.

Team "have 2 different drops" over here.

thank god i was worried that because of the amount of halloween s i have now i wouldnt be able to get any of the new ones now these can grow up and i will have room for more

well the good thing about this is that i now have time to hatch my current eggs and then i can get 5 eggs instead of only 2 new ones

Whilst I do agree that it is a very thoughtful gesture towards people who are faced to the hurricane, I am afraid it is not particularly thoughtful towards all the others who have made plans and have hard time changing them at such a short notice. Also, it seems the damage is monumental and thus many people whom it's supposed to help might not get online in any case, even with this additional delay.

Sure he can. He can allow the drop to proceed as planned for those of us that moved heaven and earth to be able to be here, and he can do another drop on the 3rd for the victims of Sandy. Viola'! Everyone's happy.

Sock: Some people /can't/ change their schedules. Why not drop them twice? That's the best option. Win-win.

This would not make people who like to get holidays on the first day of the drop happy. Not to mention the unfair advantage given to those of us with power who could now catch up to 14 of the new dragons without trading and who would have less competition on the first day yet would be adding to the competition for those affected by the hurricane.

Some people can't, but there's always next year. Schedule problems are vastly different than having to keep safe from a hurricane.

Plus people are forgetting that if they've been affected by Sandy, I'm pretty sure DC would be the last things on their mind.

People have to think about something when they're staying safe from the storm or have no power. Besides, why shouldn't DC care about a very large portion of its userbase being taken away from the game because of a natural disaster? DC could not run without its users and it'd be rather callous of us to say 'well, you can't get on because a hurricane is tearing up your portion of the country? Sorry, better luck next year!'

And what about all the time through out the year that other natural disasters have taken place all over the world?

This is an international game. While it is nice that TJ is thinking of others who will be without internet during the event, it is unfair to the rest of the world to CANCEL the scheduled drop.

I live in the Gulf, come talk to me about hurricanes and property damage and I will tell you they are part of life.

Which big natural disaster that happened during a holiday or even on a new release did we ignore?

Thanks for the update, now I really wish my vamps hadn't failed 3 bites this morning xd.png

Btw, I did see that some people took off from work for Halloween and now won't have a smuch time for the egg drop on the 3rd. If anyone needs help catching, send me a PM. Has teleports, will pitch eggies! Likely we could convert the Frankenstorm thread for this as well?

Edited by Vhale