Arwen17

Which Was The Worst Time In Your Life and Why?

Which Time was the Worst?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm using the school system I went through, but I realize that some people have junior high etc. instead of middle school, and other countries have completely different systems. So just pick the age that best suits you.

Without a doubt, my worst time was middle school. Hormones, hair in strange places, all the gifts of puberty, EVIL classmates, I felt like I was living in a censorkip.gif hole for three years.

Elementary school sucked too because of Evil Children, but middle school takes the cake on the level of cruelty scale.

High school was sooo much better, it wasn't bad at all. And I was kinda surprised by that, because I've read about how horrible high school can be for some people. I feel like perhaps I was sheltered from some of the cruelty because I was in the college-track classes rather than the ordinary classes.

College is wonderful!! I'm going to miss it. I'm graduating in May and will join the workforce. I'll soon find out how much "fun" real life is.

I'd love to hear everyone's stories/opinions.

Censor evasion

-----------------------------------------

UPDATE:

I've only been out of college for two years now, but I've already suffered deep depression similar to what I went through in middle school. It's the isolation again, but without the ostracization that took place in middle school.

middle school = surrounded by people your own age, but they completely ostracize you, so you're very lonely and hurt.

life after college = surrounded by people far younger and far older than you. There's no one your own age to hang out with or they're all married or alcoholic/drug-user/pregnant-single-mothers. You aren't being ostracized by your peer group like in middle school, your peer group simply doesn't exist. The "married" or the "people with kids" groups ostracize anyone who isn't married or doesn't have kids.

I've come out of the deep depression I was in a year ago, but it's still not completely gone.

I don't want to date men who are 10-20 years older than me. It's not much fun hanging out with women who are my mother's age and have no clue about technology. It's no fun to hang out with high school kids who still rely on their parents for everything. They're still kids while I'm an adult. And I'm still a kid compared to the adults my mother's age.

I'm hoping by the time I'm 30 I'll finally match the typical age of the people living in this city. But it may still not matter because they'll all be married and have kids at that point and I'll still get cut out of the social loop because of that.

Many young women seem to deliberately have kids on their own just so they can be part of the social loop because they can't find anyone to marry or date.

In conclusion, there's less cruelty compared to middle school, but there's 1000x more isolation.

And trust me, I try and try to meet as many people as possible thru all kinds of venues. But it's so hard to get them to agree to hang out. They're always busy or already have their set group of friends and have no interest in letting anyone else join. Are there still "clique-like" behaviors in adulthood? You bet there are!

And the instant they get married or have kids, they don't want anything to do with you anymore. It's all about being a couple and only doing things with other couples.

-----------------------------------------

UPDATE #2:

Five years after graduating college, I'm still struggling as an adult to figure out what I want to do with my career. I'm looking for my 4th professional job now and I expect to hate it as much as the last three jobs. School (K-12 and college) was FUN. Work is NEVER fun. I never, ever struggled with life's purpose until after I graduated college. You'll always have people in your life treating you like a pile of dog poop they scraped off their shoe (other students, coworkers, or bosses), but it was bearable as long as I was succeeding and knew what I wanted from life. I hope I'll know what the heck I want to do by 30 maybe. But these past 5 years of suffering exceeds anything I experienced as a kid, and being a kid was extremely, extremely painful, but I never contemplated suicide for 5 solid years as I have as an adult.

The only benefit to being an adult vs being a kid is having access to money. But money equals misery if you hate every job you take. So other than sheer survival, it stops being much of a prize.

You think school is difficult and boring? Just wait until you enter the world of work. Teachers bend over backwards to try to make schoolwork interesting and fun. Employers never do that. And if you aren't good enough or fast enough, they won't hesitate to throw you out on the pavement in the blink of an eye. Teachers will work with you until you figure it out. Employers will not. They will exterminate you because you're costing them money by being incompetent and useless, and they can always hire someone with more experience to easily replace you.

Edited by Arwen17

Definitely high school for me. I went through that awkward stage the first two years, in which I desperately wanted a boyfriend but they all thought I was a freak. One of the guys actually lead me on for a whole year (I think he was trying to be nice?) before rejecting me in front of a bunch of people. And he got his preppy friend to go after me online. After him I was so desperate I ended up with an abusive boyfriend... yeah, don't ever do what I did.

It only got worse after that. By junior year I was pretty pessimistic, hung out with the emo kids (who were actually pretty nice to me), and I stopped trying to be normal. People thought I was even more of a freak and the bullying got pretty ugly. I won't go into too much detail but I will say that I got in one physical fight and it was so bad at times I wanted to kill myself.

Public high schools are freakin' toxic environments. I'm lucky I survived.

For me it was elementary school. I hated my first grade teacher so much, and my so-called friend managed to turn the entire class against me. I dropped out after Spring Break. Second and third grade at a new school were okay, but third grade ended the same way as first. I really liked my fourth and fith grade teachers, but I was bullied mercilessly. So I had a miserable elementary school career. Granted I'm not even driving yet, but still.

@St. Jimmy- Agreed. I'm putting up with a stodgy, stiff private school just to stay out of public ones. Public middle school was bad enough. I don't even want to imagine a public high school.

First actual work before I became passably successful with what I actually wanted to do.

Probably Elementary school. I had evil little classmates who swore heavily and talked about really inappropriate stuff all day, and when I told the teacher about it they all pretty much started to hate me for it and I had absolutely no friends.

But I started homeschooling during 4th grade so I haven't had to deal with any of that since. I'm not sure what's going to happen with highschool though, since it's gonna be soon... pretty worried about it.

Middle School was the worst for me.

Kids try to grow up too fast, the kids in middle school tried to hard to act like high school kids and pretty much abandoned all the things that made us kids in pursuit of pseudo-adulthood.

Elementary school was pretty fun for me and high school was only bad freshmen year, the other years got better progressively.

I'm currently in gr.8, but grade 6-7 were the worst times for me. I was depressed, had low grades and barely attended school. I couldn't handle my parents divorce and I fell into a deep, dark hole.

I'm all better now, but those were really scary times for me because I wasn't sure what was going to become of me.

I can't compare each of those age periods to one another-- the trials and tribulations of a middle-schooler are going to be so much different than a working adult, but you can't downgrade the middle-schooler's experience since failing a class (or whatever) is just as mentally stressful for them as losing a job (or whatever).

Sure, their problems sound stupid and more petty than an adult's issues, but for their middle-schooler brain it's still a huge deal.

In other words, I'm just too darn awesome to answer this question.

Primary School....

I dont have middle school or elementry, its both xd.png

I'm in Australia, so can someone explain the years/grades for America.

That's why I posted the ages next to the school period. Just go by how old you were at the worst time in your life.

I can't compare each of those age periods to one another-- the trials and tribulations of a middle-schooler are going to be so much different than a working adult, but you can't downgrade the middle-schooler's experience since failing a class (or whatever) is just as mentally stressful for them as losing a job (or whatever).

Sure, their problems sound stupid and more petty than an adult's issues, but for their middle-schooler brain it's still a huge deal.

Yep.

And taking that into account, I'd say that it was middle school for me. Why? Like others said, a lot of kids try to grow up too fast and get socially aware. Including me (at least the "socially aware" part), which wasn't good because our family was quite poor at the time, noticeably so against what my classmates at school or music school had, which alone set me off from others, I was bullied in the family because I had little motivation to do well at school (I wasn't really failing, I just didn't have stellar grades) and because of our financial situation and having an older, growing brother often meant that he would eat most of the extra food in the house, so that I was often hungry. And then I got severe atopic dermatitis in 8th grade. Fun times.

Edited by lightbird

I'd say 11-14: I was bullied every day by seemingly everyone, from the Year 7s who were 11 years old to the 6th Formers who were 17. Everywhere I went there was some little... so-and-so teasing me and shouting names as I passed, I literally couldn't from one end of the school to the other without hearing at least six of them them. It was also the first time in years I'd been physically bullied, being shoved down the stairs and into the lockers or grabbed from behind in the corridors. It even followed me to my own front door, since it was my next door neighbours who bullied me the most; they'd get me at the bus stop, in the bus, and even rampage through my garden after school (I always came home around an hour before my parents did). I had next to no friends and it felt like the whole world hated me and there was nothing I could do to change that. A lot of the time I would come home, walk in the door and then start crying because I quite literally hated my life.

When I was older it was a bit better, especially in 6th Form- the younger kids still made fun of me and gave me no respect, but I spent next to no time around them and most of the worst kids from my bus had either grown up or left school. And by then I just cared less, I guess, I'd just become... numb. I ignored most people, they ignored me and that was how I liked it.

The equivalent of Middle School where I live. It's like the jungle. I also think it's the age where people are most intolerant, if you don't fit in your life is hell. That's what it was like for me anyway.

In high school I still didn't fit in but there were a few like-minded people who became my friends, and my ability to do good work was valued instead of used against me.

I find College really depends where you go and if you manage to locate like minded people in this human multitude xd.png I have been to several different universities and it really depended on whether I was lucky enough to run into people who had things in common with me. Overall though people are more mature and there is no bullying as far as I know so it's still way better than Middle School.

I find the comments here stupidly ironic. My parents took me out of school during my third year to be homeschooled, but they didn't have the patience to teach me or the motivation to hire tutors. I ended up pretty much doing whatever I wanted, which—oddly enough—ended up with me pursuing information on my own. I got to learn at my own pace, which was definitely pleasant for the first few years.

That was a decade and a half ago though, and most of the time now I resent their decision. I spent the entirety of my adolescence with almost no social contact outside of my parents, either good or bad. When I try to go out now, I can't make heads or tails of people. I can't keep a normal job, can't keep friends. What little money I make is spent on crappy DSL and credit card bills. I don't like it, but I have absolutely no idea how to change it. I definitely don't see it changing on its own.

If you folks think going through school is/was bad, just take a second and imagine how it would be without it. Sure it might've had unpleasant points, but what you experience in school prepares you for dealing with everything else. Be thankful that you actually have had that chance.

Edit: I'm not saying that people's worries don't matter. I believe very strongly the opposite; in relative terms, everyone's bad experiences are just as bad as others' because they have experienced nothing worse against which to compare. My point in posting is to encourage folks to consider something even worse yet still—that way, they might just feel a little better about themselves in the now. It's not meant to devalue them, but to relieve them. It's what I do, and it helps. If you have something to say to me about it, please do so in PM. Thanks.

Edit2: Youtube video. This guy explains some aspects of it a lot more effectively, if more harshly, than I do. (Disclaimer/Warning: very strong language)

Edited by Aedir

When I try to go out now, I can't make heads or tails of people. I can't keep a normal job, can't keep friends.

I feel bad for you and everything, but see that little bit there? I'm autistic- I have Asperger's Syndrome (I also probably have depression but that's not the point). I was born like that, it's never going to change and, while I am glad that I did go to 'normal' and not 'special' school, it does rustle my jimmies to be told that what I went through doesn't matter because apparently you're worse off than I am.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is- this isn't a competition, please don't turn this into some trauma ****ing contest.

/unnecessary comment over

(Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, I'm ill and miserable and I needed someone to have a little growl at before I go mad.)

I find the comments here stupidly ironic. My parents took me out of school during my third year to be homeschooled, but they didn't have the patience to teach me or the motivation to hire tutors. I ended up pretty much doing whatever I wanted, which—oddly enough—ended up with me pursuing information on my own. I got to learn at my own pace, which was definitely pleasant for the first few years.

That was a decade and a half ago though, and most of the time now I resent their decision. I spent the entirety of my adolescence with almost no social contact outside of my parents, either good or bad. When I try to go out now, I can't make heads or tails of people. I can't keep a normal job, can't keep friends. What little money I make is spent on crappy DSL and credit card bills. I don't like it, but I have absolutely no idea how to change it. I definitely don't see it changing on its own.

If you folks think going through school is/was bad, just take a second and imagine how it would be without it. Sure it might've had unpleasant points, but what you experience in school prepares you for dealing with everything else. Be thankful that you actually have had that chance.

I'm going to set aside the tremendous anger I feel over this post and just inform you that going to school doesn't mean you'll get to have positive interactions with people or have friends. It also doesn't mean you won't be just as isolated as you were when you were home schooled. Being surrounded by people yet totally alienated by them is perhaps even more isolating than having no one around at all.

Since you were able to do whatever you wanted, what was stopping you from joining after school activities? Or leaving the house?

Edited by Syaoransbear

I'd have happily taken home schooling in place of what school really 'taught' me about interacting with people.

As to my vote: as stated in the deleted post, High school was the worst. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I'm not saying that people's worries don't matter. I believe very strongly the opposite; in relative terms, everyone's bad experiences are just as bad as others' because they have experienced nothing worse against which to compare. My point in posting is to encourage folks to consider something even worse yet still—that way, they might just feel a little better about themselves in the now. It's not meant to devalue them, but to relieve them. It's what I do, and it helps. If you have something to say to me about it, please do so in PM. Thanks.

Actually your point is moot because I have experienced both. I was homeschooled for half of Elementary and Middle School. So yeah, I know precisely what I'm talking about thank you, and all things considered homeschooling was a lot easier in many regards.

Homeschooling you are protected, it's like a familiar cocoon. You choose who you want to interact with. I do want to point out that if you felt isolated, that is absolutely not homeschooling in and of itself's fault. It means your parents or whoever was schooling you didn't give you enough opportunities to meet people your age. My parents did their best, I did several different activities and groups and spent a lot of time with my siblings and I never felt isolated or deprived of anything. In fact, for a while it truly was the best solution for my, er, different way of working.

So your case is a very isolated case, due to the way your parents chose to raise you, not homeschooling in general.

I have trouble interacting with people too, due to an unrelated condition. Being homeschooled left me a lot too trusting in people's goodness and yes, it was like a slap in the face to return to school. It was hard, but I was equipped enough to deal with it, I got over it and relearnt basic social skills.

Lastly, you claim it is worse to be isolated. Well, bullying and being ostracized a school is exactly that - isolation. But to add to that, you are taunted, mocked, put down by everyone (including teachers sometimes). I actually got spat on. You are constantly alone, knowing no one cares about you, everyone thinks you're weird and abnormal and don't deserve to be there. You end up believing these things. It took the longest time for me to relearn that yes, I deserve to be there. I deserve to be treated the same as everyone else. So not only are you completely and utterly alone... But on top of that you are the lowest of the low, someone everyone despises and mocks. I think it adds a level of misery to simple isolation.

Definitely a particular grade in middle school. Most of the people in my class, or in all of 5th grade acted pretty much horrible to me. >_> They did it for no particular reason(maybe because I was having trouble socializing with people). What made it worse was when my own two best friends just left me and started using one of my old friends as their little "messenger" to tell me completely rude things that my "best friends" were too afraid to say and sadly my old friend just acted as their robot. After being so alone I eventually got into depression and was covered in a very insecure shell. I had few suicidal thoughts but then (thank you 5th grade math teacher!) my math teacher noticed my depression and took me to a counselor. If my 5th grade teacher never noticed my depression or took me to a counselor and told my mom about it, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Luckily I finally just came out of my shell at least a year ago, and now I have a little group of friends. Suddenly I was just more happy and social and I was really glad about that 8D

Definitely elementary school for me. I lived in Las Vegas and I have lesbian parents, and unfortunately there is a high concentration of conservative republican families there. I was also a little awkward because I was a little kid.

Anyway, I had about two-three best friends over the course of the five years there. I had two others in the earlier years but come 4th-5th grade, they turned on me to be "popular". Whatever the hell that was.

I was constantly harassed by children on the playground for having gay moms. Boys would come up to me and then run away yelling, "Don't get too close, you don't want to catch lesbianitis!" I had a chair thrown at me by a by a violent student after I told the teacher he pulled a chair out from under me. I was pushed down, had my face pushed into the dirt, my hair pulled. Called all sorts of crude names, one of which people adopted because it sounded like my nickname- they called me "Dummy" because my nickname is Demi. I took a walk around my neighborhood once with my dog and a girl that was in my class and happened to live in my neighborhood wouldn't let her little sister (a year younger than us) pet my dog and threatened to tell her moms that my dog was dangerous, even though my dog was a chihuahua mix and was basically timid about everything and just cowered behind me. I was pantsed, had gross rumors spread about me, and my bestfriend wasn't allowed to sleep over at my house because of my moms. I had my glasses stolen straight off my face and hidden, and in one instance when the class was excused to the restroom, a girl looked under my stall at me and then went and told everyone that I was really a boy because I peed standing up- even though what she had seen was me just zipping up my pants.

Constantly told by children that my family and I were going to hell and that my moms were sick.

Yeah, grand old time during elementary school. Thankfully, for middle school we moved to California where the prejudice is much less severe and it was a lot easier for me to make friends, as well as stand up for myself. I haven't encountered much bullying since then, and I rather enjoyed high school. I miss it, even, compared to being in my second year of college. ;n;

Pretty much all my life since childhood to adult years sucked, to be honest. :/

But okay - the worst times were middle school when puberty started, I got mood swings, didn't know what was happening to me, who i was, I had very low self-esteem, didnt care about myself, was an emotional wreck living in a dark place.

And... dundundunnn... high school. Dun really want to go back to the subject ... I got bullied everyday for 'being weird, ugly and stupid' and I started believing so myself. I was in an even darker place... life just had no point. I was living in terror and I was unprotected. Don't feel like going into more details.

... I'm lucky to have survived... physically.

Just now, after being an adult for quite a few years, I'm starting to have an idea of who I am and what my worth is. In short, I'm just now starting to be alive.

I cannot predict the future and therefore can only speak for the fourteen years I've lived on Earth so far, and I must say that it all depends on what we're judging... the worst what? Stress, relationships, classwork, family and home life, it all depends. For me, there is no worst over all; every year has its worst something and its best something.

I'll go down in order of grades as far as I can remember.

9th Grade(High School): Current grade. It's my first year of high school and therefore the classwork is a fairly large factor at the moment, though stress not so much. Having dated one person in my life for less than a month, and having a very large crush on a close friend, the relationship factor is also quite frustrating. I believe this is my current worst for classwork, though I am iffy on relationships, as it is nearing the horror of eighth grade but isn't quite there yet. Family/home life is all fine and dandy, and has been throughout each grade.

8th Grade(Middle School): By far my best as far as classwork.. It wasn't easily done like earlier grades, which likely put a sense of responsibility on me and caused me to have the best grades of any previous grade. Stress was zero. However, this was the year of relationship and dating drama and just drama in general among my friends, and my absolute worst year for relationships and emotions.

7th Grade(Middle School): A very averaged out year, likely why it was one of my favorites. I did well enough on classwork(A's and B's, with a rare C.) and had nothing as far as stress and family/home life. Relationships were kind of annoying, but I hadn't worried that much about dating until this point that it wasn't near as frustrating as the following years.

6th Grade(Middle School): Once again, averaged year. The classwork was actually a quite bit more difficult and stressful than usual(It might have something to do with the fact that my favorite subject, science, was on my least favorite branch of it all year xd.png). But, it was fun. Relationships weren't a problem as much of a fun little quirk; I recall liking a friend of mine who also liked me, but we said nothing of it until after we had gotten over each other.

Any place past that was basically the same with no relationship problems; Average classwork, not too bad and doing fairly well, perfect family life, and no stress.

So, with the way things are going, I'm predicting that my worst years will be in highschool, though currently they are middle school. Of course, I don't know what to expect any time past highschool, so my prediction could be very wrong. :3