Arwen17

Dynamic Scrolling instead of next button?

Dynamic Scrolling vs. the next button  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hate that I have to click the next button to view my entire scroll.

I thought about the way the tumblr dashboard page works. As you scroll, more of the page is loaded. So the initial page load is very fast, and then it just loads more and more pieces as you scroll downward.

Would this dynamic scrolling be possible to implement on dragoncave?

I hate having to click the next button in a situation where it makes logical user-interface sense that all the items should be on the same page.

P.S.

I love the filter options that have been added, but it still doesn't make up for the old days when everything was on the same page and easily accessible, instead of having to open three pages or more to view your entire scroll! I'm a tab-monster. I don't need any more reasons to have more tabs open at once. wink.gif

Sorry, Arwen, but I'm not with you on this. The scroll pages were implemented to decrease server strain, and using dynamic scrolling would be counter-productive.

If you need an easy way to find a specific dragon, use a rainbow sort or breed sort - maybe with some twists (like creating your own custom rainbow sort), and you'll find everything pretty quickly.

I agree that this would go backward as far as server strain is concerned. I also really hate sites that have dynamic scrolling!

I don't like dynamic scrolling. But I'd like it a lot better than the pages we have now. I can't stand having my scroll broken up into pages. I'd much rather have all my dragons on one page that I can view quickly. :/

I don't like dynamic scrolling. But I'd like it a lot better than the pages we have now. I can't stand having my scroll broken up into pages. I'd much rather have all my dragons on one page that I can view quickly. :/

This. My phone pages my scroll, as small as it is, and I can't stand it. Although, dynamic scrolling on its own bothers me, it's better than pages.

My internet has been horrible lately and just imagining dynamic scrolling would be painful.

I've gotten rather used to the pages. It's just a matter of knowing where you sorted your dragons.

Yeah, I dislike dynamic scrolling. I end up all over the place and always lose my spot and sometimes I really just want to be at the end of the page, and it's frustrating that I have to wait for each bit to load to get there.

I had already used pages because loading all the images on one page was just awful if there was even a little lag on my end, though, so I also like the pages, lol.

You might be interested in Ideas for scroll view options which are trying to achieve the same thing as you - being able to see your entire scroll at once.

I'm not up for this either. It would make DC slower even if it may take a little time just to click "next"

i say no

I'm not a huge fan. When it's just one or two pages, it's not so bad. But it starts to lag and do funny things to my computer if I'm going really, really far back like if I had a massive number of dragons.

And, as has been said, it ended up this way to decrease server strain, so this would probably just undo that and would therefore be useless.

Not a huge fan. I hate waiting for the page to load as it is. :c.

I'll agree with the crowd. While Dynamic scrolling seems like it would work, it would slow the site down...and everyone would hate that.

Besides, in your account settings you can determine the # of dragons per page. Up to number to maybe 300-400 and you have less pages to go through.

I think the maximum is at 250 dragons per page now, isn't it?

Dynamic scrolling is a bit of a pain, and although I don't mind it, I hate the lag more than anything else and I am willing to deal with a broken scroll. If anything, we should be focusing on the lag first and once that is gone to a mere memory then this could be an option.

I think the maximum is at 250 dragons per page now, isn't it?

No, it is 500 per page right now, as I am on to 9 pages with just over 4000 dragons.

No, just no. DC is slow and laggy enough. Something like this would make it even worse. This would be especially bad for people with already slow computers.

Pass. I already dislike scrolling down a page, and having to go back to the top without an "up" button. I am quite comfortable with the pages as they are now.

Actually: Dynamic Loading done correctly makes server-strain less of an issue, that's part of the reason many sites use it.

What it does, however, is it makes user-experience slower, if their requirement is to go to a certain position that is not near the start (especially on slow javascript/slow internet devices).

So while dynamic page loading works perfectly fine with chronological stuff, like facebook or a news-page, it is very useless to galleries and all kinds of collections. And your scroll basically is an image-gallery.

-- edit --

also not, that dynamic reloading usually is done with little at once. So it would probably load 50-100 dragons at most. On Large scrolls, this means that it might as well take 30secs and more to get from start to end.

Edited by whitebaron