stogucheme

Save Trades

(This is an option for DC.) I go to EATW's trade page here. Sometimes I want to offer on a trade, but I can't breed/catch the egg they want yet. If there was an option to save the trade, that'd be great.

It should probably notify the other person, too- "A user has saved this trade. Perhaps they will make an offer later." That way, if a person wants to hold out for a potentially good trade, they can.

The saved trades should appear as links under a different section (still in active transfers) to avoid confusion.

Anyway, what we have so far:

-optional for the receiver to know their trade was 'saved'

-option to decline any 'saved trades'

-saved trades are removed automatically when the trade is cancelled/completed

I think it'd also be cool to be able to cite a reason why- will catch, will breed, or scroll locked. (I think that's all of them?)

Edited by stogucheme

Uh, you sure meant this to be implemented for DC, not EATW, right? Better make that very obvious in your OP.

Although your idea does have merit, I don't think it's going to work. After all, if there are 10 people who saved your trade, you'd be pretty confident you'd get at least 2-3 offers in a day or two. However, it might happen that people just forgot about the trade they saved, or didn't manage to catch/breed what they needed, or decided to not even try for whatever reason. And if you have 10 "saves" on your trade, and nobody actually offers, you're probably in a worse spot than without the saves.

Uh, you sure meant this to be implemented for DC, not EATW, right? Better make that very obvious in your OP.

Although your idea does have merit, I don't think it's going to work. After all, if there are 10 people who saved your trade, you'd be pretty confident you'd get at least 2-3 offers in a day or two. However, it might happen that people just forgot about the trade they saved, or didn't manage to catch/breed what they needed, or decided to not even try for whatever reason. And if you have 10 "saves" on your trade, and nobody actually offers, you're probably in a worse spot than without the saves.

Yes.

Well, I figure there'd be a system for removing saved trades. But how would you be in a worse spot? If 10 people save your trade, that wouldn't affect whether or not you got offers. I'm confused.

Besides, the saving was suggested to mostly benefit the offerer, not the receiver.

Say you are offering a trade and you see several saved trades, but you don't know what they're going to offer, or even if they will eventually. In hopes that you'll get an offer you like better than the ones you already have, you wait, turning down the offers already made. But the saved trades don't give you better offers. Maybe they give you no offers. And you've lost the previous offers that you could have taken. Too bad. SOL. Because yes, you can turn around and make a new trade link, but at some point you're going to run out of time.

I don't think this idea is something I'd ever use. If I posted a trade and people put a save trade on it, I'd just ignore the save trade because you have no idea what they're thinking of offering. I'd evaluate which trade if any to accept based on what is actually being offered and not on some "maybe." In my opinion trades should be evaluated on what people are saying right now and not on "maybe." Because "maybe" often turns into "not."

Part of me thinks I wouldn't use this. But I can see the merit in it.

I mean, there's no reason you can't just ignore saved trades if you get an offer you like.

I've had it happen where I have something I don't want, and I don't get any offers that appeal to me and instead I end up either gifting it or punting it to the AP. If there was a message that somebody saved the trade, I might consider holding onto it a little longer to see if they're interested later.

But there's still nothing preventing me from just canceling the trade and getting rid of it if I don't feel like waiting.

Perhaps there could be an option to decline saved trades--it would be off by default, and it would just have a message that "this user isn't accepting saved trades", or the option just wouldn't appear. That way people who didn't care for it could not deal with it and people who would love it or be more neutral could use it or try it out if they wanted.

I don't see it a being harmful in the event that it were implemented since it's not like you'd be barred from canceling the trade or accepting another offer as long as somebody else had saved it.

So, like, if I got a few offers and none of them actually appealed to me, I wouldn't mind it. But, then if somebody came along and offered something that I really wanted/needed/thought was a really good deal for me, I could just go ahead and accept that like normal.

So, I don't mind much either way, but I'm leaning towards support on this one.

I'd suggest just bookmarking the trade link ^^ having a way to save links on-site isn't a bad idea, but it seems like unneccesary work to implement it when bookmarking is a quick off-site way to do it.

Something that I think relates to this, though, is to save trade links in the actions log when you make an offer on them. Let's say I offer a few low-time hatchlings on someone's trade, and then one of them grows up; it would be quite nice if I could go into my action log, find a link to the trade I offered on, and then go fix my offer.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Personally, I don't see what it might be good for. You can always use a bookmark, or just browse the trading thread where you saw the offer, or save the link in some nifty little text document...

And for the person who set up the trade, there's not really a benefit to knowing someone is considering because most considerations won't lead anywhere anyway.

Say you are offering a trade and you see several saved trades, but you don't know what they're going to offer, or even if they will eventually. In hopes that you'll get an offer you like better than the ones you already have, you wait, turning down the offers already made. But the saved trades don't give you better offers. Maybe they give you no offers. And you've lost the previous offers that you could have taken. Too bad. SOL. Because yes, you can turn around and make a new trade link, but at some point you're going to run out of time.

If people do have people interested in a trade, why would you decline regular offers that have been made just because something else might come around? I don't see the logic in this at all.

So two people are offering you a slice of pie and they're only asking something petty for them like a quarter. The first slice is a good one but there's another person that said they could give you one better, they just don't have it yet. You are allowing yourself only one slice of pie. Why would you tell that first person who has the pie "oh no, I can't accept this because I might get something better later, you go ahead and eat it" (decline the "trade"). Then the other person comes around pie-less because they forgot to buy the pie. If something is in the parameters of what you are looking for for a trade, why do you decline it? If it's something you are looking for and not a slice of cake instead of pie. If someone declines currently available option for one that's not available, then it's their own fault for making a quick decision and not waiting. I tend to not like the decline button anyway because I have only once been offered something I didn't ask for. I just ignored it. the trade was canceled by the person who offered it rather quickly.

I say sure for this option. Sometimes people are locked and still want to breed something to offer on a trade. It's happened to me before so I would probably use it. If you don't want to even consider "saved" trades, then don't. Just ignore them like they don't even exist.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I say sure for this option. Sometimes people are locked and still want to breed something to offer on a trade. It's happened to me before so I would probably use it. If you don't want to even consider "saved" trades, then don't. Just ignore them like they don't even exist.

But where's the benefit in that that justifies having TJ do I don't know how much coding? If you see an offer, but can't provide what is asked for at that moment, you can always PM the person you'd like to trade with and negotiate. And you can save trade links in any number of fashions already.

Seriously, I don't see this as necessary, much less desirable.

In addition to the other arguments against, I've seen a lot of desirable trades go very quickly. I'm not sure that saving trades that you are interested in would even be worth it from the offering standpoint because by the time I picked up the eggs/hatchies they were interested in, its probable that another trade would have already been accepted.

I wouldn't mind if this was implemented (i.e., it wouldn't affect me in any negative fashion), I'm just not sure how useful it would be overall.

Personally, I don't see what it might be good for. You can always use a bookmark, or just browse the trading thread where you saw the offer, or save the link in some nifty little text document...

And for the person who set up the trade, there's not really a benefit to knowing someone is considering because most considerations won't lead anywhere anyway.

Pretty much this. I'd also be a little annoyed at being spammed up with any 'saved' trades within the midst of trades that have been actually offered. So if we do get a way to 'save' trades, I don't particularly want to see that under my offers. It just seems like it's more for the person saving the trade rather than the trader, so the trader doesn't need to see it. If someone is interested in my trade but doesn't have what I'm asking for yet, I'd prefer they PM me. Then I can know what they're actually planning to offer and that would be much more useful to me.

Also, this:

In addition to the other arguments against, I've seen a lot of desirable trades go very quickly. I'm not sure that saving trades that you are interested in would even be worth it from the offering standpoint because by the time I picked up the eggs/hatchies they were interested in, its probable that another trade would have already been accepted.

~

I just don't see this suggestion as really adding anything to the game. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

As long as this is a feature only for the person who wants to make the offer and will not be seen by the person who set up the original trade, then I really don't see any harm in it -- except taking TJ's attention from more important things while he codes it.

But I honestly have to admit that I am on the side of those who cannot imagine what benefit it has. It doesn't seem to do anything that we can't already do in other ways.

But where's the benefit in that that justifies having TJ do I don't know how much coding? If you see an offer, but can't provide what is asked for at that moment, you can always PM the person you'd like to trade with and negotiate. And you can save trade links in any number of fashions already.

Seriously, I don't see this as necessary, much less desirable.

What was the point in adding a decline button? this has been something I have never used and never will be. The trades someone is not interested in can easily be ignored. But yes, someone can easily go to the forums offer through PM, except a lot of those are ignored. I've tried that before and some people even put warnings in their trades of profiles to not PM them.

What was the point in adding a decline button? this has been something I have never used and never will be. The trades someone is not interested in can easily be ignored.

I feel that using the decline button is only fair to the people offering on my trades. On my last ND, there were many offers, most of which were not nearly what I expected. Sure, blusangs are nice and well, and I'd love some more - but I wasn't interested at the moment. Telling the persons in question this by declining their offers seems like a nice thing to do so they know I won't consider their offers, no matter how good they might be. This way, they knew that my trade was not for them and could look out for a different trade at once - and not a day or two later.

What was the point in adding a decline button?

I use it out of courtesy when there is a offer I am not interested in, so that those people can offer the eggs/hatchlings in other trades and not hold them up.

I guess I just see declined trades as being rude, especially if they fir the parameters of a trade. Maybe it's just how impersonal it is because if I were to decline a trade I would PM the person to tell them why so they are not confused about it.

I still support "saved" trades for a few reasons, one of which isn't allowed in the trade forums anymore.

I still support "saved" trades for a few reasons, one of which isn't allowed in the trade forums anymore.

But wouldn't you still PM the person about it so that you didn't go through all the work only to find that they had accepted another offer? To do that thing which shall not be named, communication is required between the two parties involved. More than just one half of the trade saving it somewhere.

Can I just point out that a lot of people's scroll names are different from their forum names because they hate being PMed/they get view bombed? PMing may be impossible, or unwanted.

Plus, a lot of people don't have a forum account. They couldn't PM a person if they wanted to.

Anyway, what we have so far:

-optional for the receiver to know their trade was 'saved'

-option to decline any 'saved trades'

-saved trades are removed automatically when the trade is cancelled/completed

I think it'd also be cool to be able to cite a reason why- will catch, will breed, or scroll locked. (I think that's all of them?)

Can I just point out that a lot of people's scroll names are different from their forum names because they hate being PMed/they get view bombed? PMing may be impossible, or unwanted.

Plus, a lot of people don't have a forum account. They couldn't PM a person if they wanted to.

For people to be able to get offers, they have to share their trade somewhere. If they aren't contactable from that, well, I guess you're out of luck. They probably don't want to receive "saved" trades anyway.

People can get a forum account, trade somewhere where they can contact traders, or bookmark the trade and come back to it later, or wait for a similar trade they can offer on.

Browsers offer a bookmarking function and anybody can save a link in some kind of text document if they want to come back to a trade. =U

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

For people to be able to get offers, they have to share their trade somewhere. If they aren't contactable from that, well, I guess you're out of luck. They probably don't want to receive "saved" trades anyway.

That's what EATW is for. You don't need a forum account for it. I use it more than the forums because I never get many offers from the forums anyway, and my trade isn't lost in a sea of trades.

People can get a forum account, trade somewhere where they can contact traders, or bookmark the trade and come back to it later, or wait for a similar trade they can offer on.

Browsers offer a bookmarking function and anybody can save a link in some kind of text document if they want to come back to a trade. =U

The main reason I want the save function is because it'll automatically remove any old trade links. (It's kind of a hassle otherwise.)

That's what EATW is for. You don't need a forum account for it. I use it more than the forums because I never get many offers from the forums anyway, and my trade isn't lost in a sea of trades.

The main reason I want the save function is because it'll automatically remove any old trade links. (It's kind of a hassle otherwise.)

To use EATW, you still need to provide contact information. Most people just post their trade link. When they do that, I assume that if the person were interested in receiving alternatives to a standard trade, they would include their email or other form of contact info to actually discuss the trade.

And I'm afraid I don't understand how saving trade links will help you remove old trade links? Where are you removing them from? Your bookmarks?