Fangirl05

Turf War

Bringer of Plentiful Harvests sighed. I'm useless. Why can't I do anything?

After thinking for a while, she lowered her head. I wish Geralze was still here.

Yog-Saggoth suddenly plummeted down towards the earth as her wings momentarily ceased to function. She quickly got over it and pulled up sharply.

When she ascended again, she glanced back at G'Lant, placidly seated on her back.

"You're dying? Why haven't you said anything? You have to appoint a successor, make plans for a funeral..." Yog-Saggoth began rambling. She wasn't afraid of G'Lant's death so much--she was alive when two predecessors died, as well as countless other humans--as she was afraid how the clan would take it. They had left their homeland, had narrowly avoided a clash with a clan much more powerful than G'Lant, and had no idea where they were headed. Add the death of a clan leader, and the clan would be...Yog-Saggoth didn't want to think about it.

.…………………….…………..........................

Geralze dashed across the snow, leaving not a single footprint. Jumping onto a stream, he raced up to the second hill. Imperial Blue was still flying overhead, aimlessly fling about. Then he saw it. A flash of brown against the snow.

Fur?

Geralze ducked low and hid himself behind a snowdrift. His eyes drifted across to some thin trees growing on the opposite side of the brown-furred dragon, and made out the black form of another dragon. Those seemed to be the only two dragons in the vicinity.

Pretty well concealed, aren't they...from the air, nobody could see them. Still, they would be easily seen if they flew away. Does that mean are more spies scattered through the mountains?

In any case, I can't engage either one of them in combat. A tri-horn and a black are too difficult for me to fight together. What should I do...

Hidden behind layers of forest and magic, Filari's dragons carried on with their usual activities. Hunters brought in food, healers tended to the invalids, dragons with magical aptitude were taught how to better their techniques, sentries watched for any intruders going too deep into their territory, and hatchlings played while a few other dragons looked on. It was really a day that wasn't exactly noteworthy.

Except for the fact that the two higher ups were away to who knew where.

Erstwhile was a rather slender gray dragon, and was noticeably short. She more than made up for it by being compassionate or extremely violent when the situation called for it. Her presence had a commanding, austere tone to it that made dragons pay attention. Her eyes, colored like a dull piece of steel, searched for anything amiss. Usually, the dragons that had been in the clan longer had more power in clan politics. She was rather young compared to Ainuri, or quite a few of the other dragons honestly. But Erstwhile had stood out and seen herself work her way up to the top.

The Gray was rather shocked to learn at first that Filari and Ainuri had trusted her to act as leader in their stead. Why not Levarias, who had been Filari's first dragon but had abdicated the post of second in command? Or her mate Filius? Or even that stupid idiot Liseru? All of them had a seniority and in some cases experience advantage over her. Erstwhile had recovered quickly though and issued orders to post more border guards and to make sure word that their leaders were both quite far from base did not get out to other clans. In this time, who knew if other clans would take advantage of this?

Nothing much is happening. But perhaps I'll go help the Grays in their storm magic. Levarias, who Erstwhile chose as her temporary second in command, could take care of the other things for now. She walked over briskly, keeping her posture straight.

tri horn started to get worried. the dragon seemed to be looking strait at them, except never seemed to notice the mint that was still in the leaves. if only there was a way we can prove we have seen their clan he thought, and the black dragon seemed to be thinking the same thing.

"you mean the dragon's not trusting you" a telepathical message malfica had just sent, then if we could just lure it to the clan, or something."

"you and amacules could always come here and tell them" black dragon said

"we will keep to our original plan" malifica concluded. the dragons kept their watch, muscles tense

So much for my stealth skills, Geralze thought. How did they see me?

Sighing, Geralze stepped out from the snowdrift and faced the foliage.

"What do the two of you want?" Geralze asked, muscles tensed.

"I'm sorry. I--I didn't want to worry the clan. With everything that's been happening, do you think they would take my failing health?

"While I know everyone here loves G'Lant, there would almost certainly begin murmurs. Say, if I was in the right state of mind to make the decision to leave. A split could develop. Some who wanted to go home, against those who would be loyal to me. G'Lant would be divided."

Yog-Saggoth craned her neck around and stared at him. With foresight like that, do you think anyone could doubt your mental health?

G'Lant gave her a thin smile.

tri horn stood up, along with black and the mint that scurried down the tree branches.

"we do not want to be viewed as a bad clan. the dragon flying above," tri horn said, and pointed to imperial blue, "had given me the suspicious look, and hid, to make sure nothing bad happens."

"malifica ordered three, two in this case, other dragons along with a dragon from the earlier patrol, incase anything bad does happen," black said, and resumed a crouching position. the wyvern swerved his tail in front of her, and shook his head in a no gester.

"i assumed the dragon was just the strong type that will not accept help that easily, since she said she got the general idea," tri horn continued.

Titus nodded. "Them, and the band of thieves we just killed. They stood hardly a chance, double crossed by their deceitful lying cheating backstabbing leader. Probably joined the vampires right now." he spoke. "Not to mention, the other clans surely will get the vital information and plan more attacks" Thunderbolt added.

"Perhaps not with me as an ally. Don't worry-" Filari winked at the two. "I'll make sure they won't ruin the scenery later. I think destroying offices like this one is the height of rudeness, no?" While The Fool wasn't the first threat that usually came to mind, Filari's clan was notable for not only its idiot ruler but the fact it placed an enormous emphasis on magical strength. Aside from the occasional small band of thieves, barely anyone had really attacked the clan. The noblewoman was glad for that too. The last crisis that involved a... dispute between Filari's clan and another one was short, but incredibly violent. Ainuri was also disturbed by the memory of the event. Both of them had seen the worst in each other then.

"A problem is that my territory is quite far from yours. In order to get to each other's territory, one could have to go through other lands held by different clans. I had to pass through Lady Amacules's territory once. I've not met her in person, but her dragons are decent creatures. One of them was rather aggressive, and apparently at least one of their Magis can read minds. The second in command, I believe."

Ainuri interrupted. "Yes, I'm fairly certain that rumor's true. The mountain clan there is not a warmongering or slippery type of group, but I'm sure no one wants a scaly bint pawing through your brain. Lords, do you know anything about mental blocking?" The Magi could feel her human's surprise. Normally she had to be pestered extensively to teach even the easiest of magic. This jungle clan's decent and competent. If they've managed to hide for this long and build a little settlement here, then kudos to them.

Filari spoke again. "Of course, Miss Amacules isn't a major threat. That Miss Estelle is the worrying one. Perhaps she'll backstab the vampires? We all know how she works." Lord Arikade was the first person she thought of that owned vampire dragons and wasn't a pleasant character. Thankfully she'd never seen him in person or had to deal with him. But surely that warlord wasn't stupid enough to enlist Khalon as an ally? Khalon was skillful at sneaking about and had influence in the shady crime underworld, but she could not be trusted.

Both dragons seem to have trouble articulating, Geralze thought. Are they foreign? If so, why would they be affiliated with that clan?

Wait, are they? They could be from a different clan. I assumed the clan from earlier was the only one around. Are they traveling as well?

Geralze faced both dragons.

"What is the name of your clan?" he asked.

tri horn bowed deeply, while the mint only bent his neck, and the black did nothing at all, but only stopped tensing her muscles.

"we are from amacules' clan, otherwise nicknamed the clan of the giants, and this is the border of the territory," he said, slightly lifting up his head to look at the other dragons. the other two dragons did not exactly show the same amount of respect, even when taught throughout the clan.

Amacules. Geralze couldn't remember hearing the name of the clan that had stopped G'Lant the other day, but if this dragon was telling the truth, this marked the border.

"I see," Geralze said evenly. "Pardon my intrusion then.

A flicker of movement caught Geralze's eye. He stared at the nearby tree for a few seconds until he caught sight of the Mint dragon on a tree branch.

"Excuse me, but are lizards generally so big here?"

"do you know your species?!" mint squeaked, and ran down the tree. It's bright green scales stood out in the white snow, allowing no camouflage now.

"apparently not" the black mocked.

"guys please, can you not be rude for one second?" tri horn, annoyed that malifica had ended up sending two of some of the disrespectful dragons here. "as you can see, this isn't a lizard, but a mint dragon."

"you heard that right" mint squeaked, and received a glare form the generally calm tri horn. The wyvern lifted his wing, and pointed down the border.

"the last I seen your clan was down there, moving on after this snow storm," he explained, and just as the storm slowd down, now just snowflakes and now wind. "hope you find them" he finished, and headed back towards the trees. "malifica, call back the patrols, we're fine" black and mint followed, and hissed before disappearing ahead

Geralze, perturbed, stared at the retreating figure of the enormous lizard.

Imperial Blue, hold on. I've got three more mountains to check.

"Shouldn't Imperial Blue be back by now?" Yog-Saggoth asked.

"Yes," replied G'Lant.

"Did she get captured?" Yog-Saggoth asked, a note of panic in her thoughts.

"Possibly."

"What if she got killed?" Yog-Saggoth asked, in a panicked tone of thought.

"Doubtful," G'Lant replied, yawning.

Without warning, Yog-Saggoth dove downwards. When she came back up, G'Lant was still sitting on her back placidly.

"Was there a reason for that?" asked G'Lant.

Yog-Saggoth turned her head atound and grinned at him.

"Nothing ever disturbs you, does it?"

G'Lant grinned back at her. "Nope."

The two of them flew in silence for a few minutes. Then Yog-Saggoth said, "I am worried though."

"Don't be. There's no reason for anybody to harm her. If she was captured, her kidnappers would have made us aware of it already. If something else happened..."

"She can take care of herself." Yog-Saggoth finished his sentence for him.

G'Lant beamed at her. "Exactly."

Khalon grabbed the bottom of his jaw. Pushing her thumbs into the pressure points of his jaw. She dropped to the floor gracefully as his jaw hung limply.

"I will walk, thank you very much. So, Arikade, what can I do for ya'?" She said with a mock bow.

(I'm sorry for dropping off the face of the Earth for... However long it's been! Please forgive me!)

Draugr narrowed his eyes in confusion. What was a Harvest dragon doing out in a blizzard on its own?

O'raan bumped him and nodded ahead of them. There was another dragon flying a short ways ahead of the Harvest, possibly a guide.

With a dark smile, Draugr folded his wings against his sides and nose-dived at the Harvest.

(I'm starting to wish I'd gone with zombie dragons instead of vampires)