blackdragon71

More Than One Dragon, Same Name

Let's see if I can explain myself clearly, here. In the outside world, how many of us know at least five Roberts, Nancys, Michaels, and so on? Don't get me started on all the new names cropping up I can't even... blink.gif

My thought is: Would it be possible to code the system so that we can have two or more dragons with the same name, as long as they're not on the same scroll? I mean, someone else is bound to want to name at least one of their black dragons BlackDragon71 just like I do, because face it, who wouldn't? It's cool, but apparently, it's taken (and not by me). I'm of course, using my username as an example, but you get the point. Instead of having to use the crazy xXxnameherexXx or whatever other means we use to set our names apart, why can't we have two or more dragons out there named John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt or just plain Bob?

Just a thought, at any rate.

Btw: I didn't find this topic anywhere else, so if it is somewhere, please pardon my starting it again, mods.

The url to find specific dragons could be something like: dragcave.net/user/Sock/view/n/Sock's Derg
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Right now this is not possible due to one major reason. Named dragons do also gain a URL based on the name given. Unless that feature gets removed it is impossible to allow more than a single use of a name.

Actually they don't anymore. I'm looking at the code for one of my splits that's named and the name isn't in the code.

The name is still used as a redirect to the dragon. Try manually typing in dragcave.net/view/n/NAMEHERE

^ actually named dragons can have their own URL...

you substitute the code with n/"name"

I actually really like the ability to see what dragon has a certain name... plus I use the the name url all the time to check up on TJ's dragons to see what they've bred recently since I can't get to them through his scroll and don't know their codes.

I can't see how this will ever work.. and not mess up that ability... but I sorta support it because there's names I wish I had too.

EDIT: darn ninja.gif 'd

Edited by 626lavaheart

In case anybody is interested: Allow Duplicate Names: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=128140 (which has an interesting solution to the name/url thing)

Anyway, I like unique names but since I don't name all my dragons anyway, I don't really have a preference and feel my say shouldn't mean a whole lot. =p

If we were to go the route of allowing duplicate names, I don't see the point of putting limits on this. Ie, if someone wants a scroll full of dragons just named Bob, then they can do that.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I think the unique name system should stay as-is. Are there some names I really wish I had? Sure. But at the same time if every Dick, Jane, and Harry also had that name, what made it special for me would lose a lot of the specialness.

Plus, using the same name could result in lineage confusion. Everyone could name things after the original Dorkfaces or Thuweds as they pleased, or whatever else. Could you go check those named dragons and realize they weren't the originals? Certainly... but it would still require all that much more work to certify identity.

Last but not least, the /n/ url shortcut is really convenient. I have no hope of remembering a random collection of letters and numbers for my favorite dragons. Being able to use names in the url makes it much easier to find them--especially when I'm on my phone or have terrible internet and thus can't as easily just scroll or ctrl+f my way around my scroll to find them. Making a new url system to allow for the use of repeated names would make it much more difficult to do that, I imagine.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

As I said before, it was a thought only. And after reading through the link that Socky posted, and some very good arguments against, I can see that it should remain that- a thought. I myself have some very unique names for my dragons, and I won't be changing them (well, a few I might). I'm not miffed at the owner of my username (I wasn't going to do it anyway, because well, hello? Conceit? xd.png ); I love her dearly, and it was only an example. But there are days it gets pretty darn hard to come up with names for over 1000 dragons, so it was something that popped into my brain. Even though the name might not be unique to a dragon, though, I will say this, each dragon's code is, just like each person's finger print and DNA is special. In this country, we all have (or should, unless someone gets their sticky fingers on it) a unique identifying number. So maybe for the less imaginative among us, who call all our kids George (Foreman), it might be a solution. I wish my mother had given me a much less unique real life name to hide behind. She ensured no one would ever mistake me for another person, that's for sure. dry.gif

As I said before, it was a thought only. And after reading through the link that Socky posted, and some very good arguments against, I can see that it should remain that- a thought. I myself have some very unique names for my dragons, and I won't be changing them (well, a few I might). I'm not miffed at the owner of my username (I wasn't going to do it anyway, because well, hello? Conceit? xd.png ); I love her dearly, and it was only an example. But there are days it gets pretty darn hard to come up with names for over 1000 dragons, so it was something that popped into my brain. Even though the name might not be unique to a dragon, though, I will say this, each dragon's code is, just like each person's finger print and DNA is special. In this country, we all have (or should, unless someone gets their sticky fingers on it) a unique identifying number. So maybe for the less imaginative among us, who call all our kids George (Foreman), it might be a solution. I wish my mother had given me a much less unique real life name to hide behind. She ensured no one would ever mistake me for another person, that's for sure. dry.gif

I often use random name generators on the 'net to name my dragons, or if they're lineages then I'll try to use some combination of the parents' names. It can be annoying to have to fudge about with spaces or xX...Xx/oO...Oo/etc. to get a specific name, but I put up with it. A lot of my Doctor Who dragons have oddly spaced names and I don't mind, but I wish the extra spaces didn't show in lineages - I didn't like that change! rolleyes.gif

I hear ya on having an unusual rl name, though. I often use my middle name because it's a bit more generic and pronounceable... :s

If you're stuck on naming, just try using a surname for your dragons, or even working in your scroll name. Other people stick info like CB or lineaged into the names, which is both useful and creates a 'unique' new name. smile.gif

I know naming can be a pain sometimes, but I really like it the way it is now.

If duplicate names were allowed then I would just quit naming dragons because there would be no point. I was once completely frustrated that a certain name set was already taken, but I dealt with it by giving my dragons different other names. Names are freed up all the time and if your username is taken it's most likely done by someone who collects usernames or by someone who you befriended.

If duplicate names were allowed then I would just quit naming dragons because there would be no point.

^this^

Another no from me. I like the uniqueness. It encourages creativity, IMO.

There's a reason some of mine sit around unnamed for a wile--I like thinking up a good name nobody else has. If I REALLY want a name/am lazy, I'll just fudge the spelling a bit. If I can't stand to do that, I'll find a different name--one I usually end up liking better.

Another no from me. I like the uniqueness. It encourages creativity, IMO.

There's a reason some of mine sit around unnamed for a wile--I like thinking up a good name nobody else has. If I REALLY want a name/am lazy, I'll just fudge the spelling a bit. If I can't stand to do that, I'll find a different name--one I usually end up liking better.

This. Half my creatures on MagiStream, a site that allows duplicate names, go unnamed because I see to reason to name them.

It makes the dragons, who share their exacte same sprite and disrciption with thousands of other dragons, it's nice to have a unique-ness to our dragons then.

I'm not really a fan. Like others said, being able to actually make the same name multiple times means that the popular names mean a lot less, since everyone can have them. I can understand the frustration of not being able to get the name you want, but the names you do get mean a lot more.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I'd be okay with this. I'm fine with the way it is now, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world for me if all names became available.

Guess you could say I'm not for it or against it, since I can see both sides of the argument.

Edited by Nine

in the real world you have surnames. So give your dragon a surname. And you can use robert for your dragon.

Edited by bluebell_rose

I think the unique name system should stay as-is. Are there some names I really wish I had? Sure. But at the same time if every Dick, Jane, and Harry also had that name, what made it special for me would lose a lot of the specialness.

Plus, using the same name could result in lineage confusion. Everyone could name things after the original Dorkfaces or Thuweds as they pleased, or whatever else. Could you go check those named dragons and realize they weren't the originals? Certainly... but it would still require all that much more work to certify identity.

Last but not least, the /n/ url shortcut is really convenient. I have no hope of remembering a random collection of letters and numbers for my favorite dragons. Being able to use names in the url makes it much easier to find them--especially when I'm on my phone or have terrible internet and thus can't as easily just scroll or ctrl+f my way around my scroll to find them. Making a new url system to allow for the use of repeated names would make it much more difficult to do that, I imagine.

This. No support, because I'd be angry if I saw someone had the same name as me, because I want a /unique/ name that I made up, y'know?

I do believe I was shown the error of my ways and repented on the first page. xd.png

I do believe I was shown the error of my ways and repented on the first page. xd.png

There is another person with my name, but they don't go to my school, they're on the other side of town. |D; I honestly hate having an name nobody can say/spell on the first try.

In case anybody is interested: Allow Duplicate Names: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=128140 (which has an interesting solution to the name/url thing)

Anyway, I like unique names but since I don't name all my dragons anyway, I don't really have a preference and feel my say shouldn't mean a whole lot. =p

If we were to go the route of allowing duplicate names, I don't see the point of putting limits on this. Ie, if someone wants a scroll full of dragons just named Bob, then they can do that.

I used this link to add an idea that kinda expanded upon these two. I was really NO NO This is EVIL!!! at first and then I realized - its a name... not everyone cares about names like everyone else. And if they want to share it, well... why not... so I Posted it in the other thread cuz I thought it fit better there especially with the url idea already started.

I didn't want to start a new thread since its just a few tweaks to stuff already out there. Thanks for the direction!