beacker1160

Beacker1160's Dragcave Writing Thread

Hey guys! I've discovered that I'm fairly good at writing dragcave fanfics. My goal is to write at least one fanfiction per 5 dragons on my scroll (over 200 now), so I guess I've got to get busy writing...

I would REALLY appreciate if you left a review or even a small comment of appreciation. Those keep me motivated and wanting to write. I know quite a lot of you have experienced the sadness where you write something and people just pass by and not read it or leave some appreciation for your tale sad.gif! Still if you don't have the time or are busy, I understand. We all have lives outside of DC, including me.

One more thing: just because I write DC fanfictions doesn't mean I won't occasionally write DC-related/crossovers of other things as well. I won't exhibit these here, but I might post a hidden link to them (check around my new posts every time I update. They're 1/1000 chance, but you never know o.0).

-----------------------------------

user posted image

A funny little thing I made. Might not always be true, but lately I've been having trouble getting rare eggs so I've turned to writing.

BTW, you can differentiate stories from commentary and introductions (like this) by the type of text. Stories will always be in a sort of italicized text (like this).

I will start off with an example of my writing. It's not my best writing, but it was one of the original ones written very early on and I'd like to share it as an example of what type of writing you're going to see a lot. Remember, some of them will be much, much better quality than this, and some lower, but I felt like I had to pick an honest, 50/50 one to truly show my skill level.

As told by The Sickly Hatchling

For some reason, death is a comforting thing to me.

I know it will come. It is not a matter of if it will come or not. It is a matter of when.

But I know for certain that death is waiting for me. Somewhere in the future.

And I am okay with that.

Why am I this way? What kind of psychotic dragon am I? What kind of insanity do I possess, to console myself with death, to find comfort in the thought of silently drifting away from life...?

Perhaps you would understand better if I told you a story first. A story about an egg and a hatchling.

So allow me.

There was once a red dragon egg. It had severe soft shell, and it was tinted a sickly shade yellow in places. Yet it lay in the abandoned page, among the other, healthy eggs. Nobody wanted it. They were all too busy fighting over each other for rare dragon eggs. They did not care about this particular, sick one.

The dragon that picked this egg up was a purple dragon. He was known as a jokester and a prankster, but he was good natured, sympathetic, and tender at heart. He brought this egg, with its fatal soft shell and sickly yellow tint back to his clan.

That dragon's name was Paragon II. And he was a good dragon.

The white dragons looked at the egg. They were very dismayed. But it is not in the nature of a white dragon to leave an egg to die. So they worked through the day, trying various remedies. They worked through the night, too. They didn't get any sleep. They were very desperate.

Eventually they succeeded in getting the egg to hatch. But instead of a normal hatchling, they saw a horrible, mangled, diseased hatchling weakly climb out of the shattered eggshell. They could see its bones. It was very sick.

And it had only three usable legs.

The white dragons knew, then, that this hatchling would never be able to grow up into an adult.

It would probably die.

So they called in a magi dragon. They told him that he should freeze the hatchling, to spare it misery. To spare it the pain, the agony, the horrendous torture the dragon would experience later in its life.

The magi dragon looked at the sorry hatchling. He could sense it's pain and suffering. He summoned up all of his strength and froze the hatchling with all his might, so it would not have to suffer as it grew.

That dragon's name was Merlin's Shadow. And he was a good dragon.

The white dragons released the sickly hatchling to go and play with the other hatchlings. To live with the other hatchlings. To get a glimpse of normal life before the inevitable death that would come. The death that would slowly, silently, but surely creep upon the doomed hatchling. Paralyzing limbs, organs, everything...

As the other hatchlings grew, the sickly hatchling was very confused. How come it didn't get bigger, too? It wanted to be like its friends. Fortunately, the other hatchlings were very nice to the sickly hatchling. They sensed its plight. They pitied it. They tried to go slowly during their hatchling games, so that the sickly hatchling could play, too.

But the sickly hatchling always collapsed after several steps, too exhausted to continue. And then one of the female dragons would come over and shoo the others away, carrying the sickly hatchling back to the nursery to rest in the soft, grassy nests.

The sickly hatchling eventually grew older. He was permanently frozen in his young, hatchling stage, but his mind progressed. His brain, stricken by the disease, but nevertheless strong, began to learn the truth. That he was an inbred dragon. That his disease was inherited. That it was not his fault, but there was nothing anyone could do, and that he should enjoy life while he could.

And that he would eventually, inevitably die.

The sickly hatchling finally understood everything. It understood why the other hatchlings pitied him, and tried to be nice to him, and to let them join in on the little hatchling games that they played. It finally understood why the females were extra-special to him, why they payed more attention to him than the others.

And it finally understood that it would never grow up. It would never have a mate, or kids of its own. That it would never get to live a full life, the life that it deserved, the life that it was denied.

The dragon began to deny the company of others. It decided to let the others live their lives. It did not want to impede the others. It did not want to make them slow down during their games. It did not want to prevent them from getting the full attention of their mothers. It wanted them to have their full, sweet lives, not disturbed by it.

And that was when the hatchling discovered the forest.

It had always heard the birds. When it was tired, and resting, exhausted from the games where it could only run with three legs while the other hatchlings used all four, it heard the birdsong. He heard the gentle swishing, the harmonious humming, the melody of the forest. But it had never had the strength to go there.

And now it was determined to do just that.

Gradually, it worked up the strength. It often suffered pain. Once, a female dragon found it collapsed right by the camp entrance, too tired to drag himself back, unconscious with the sheer effort it took. And it was painful for the sickly hatchling as it recovered from the massive shock and exhaustion.

Sometimes it was so painful the hatchling begged for death. It begged for death to release it from the endless suffering that its cruel life inflicted upon it.

But it never gave up. Against the wishes of the females, who insisted for it to get more rest, it tried again. And again.

And again.

The females watched it with pity. They did not want to stop him from reaching his goal. Not when his life was so limited. They admired his determination, his preservation. They had never seen anything work as hard as it did. They silently cheered him on.

The hatchlings, too, came to watch. They applauded when it managed to go a foot, or even an inch, longer than before. They brought him food to eat, and water to drink, and flowers and fruits to keep him company. And the sickly hatchling was reminded that no matter what, it would always be loved and supported.

Eventually, the sickly hatchling made it. Everyone rejoiced, but they left him alone, so that he could be at peace. They went back to playing their little hatchling games or talking with their mates and leaders and friends.

And the little sickly hatchling was able, at last, to find the place where he belonged.

It would watch the birds. The brightly plumaged birds, hopping from branch to branch, singing their equally bright and cheerful songs. The animals, curiously looking at him, darting from bush to bush, tree to tree. The sunlight, filtering through the leaves, creating intricate patterns on the soft, forest floor.

But it was mostly the overwhelmingly peaceful feeling. The sickly hatchling could lie among the pine needles, mossy logs, and pebbly river banks. It had nobody pitying it. It had nobody to bother it. It had nobody to tell it what to do.

And it was the happiest, then. It was at peace with life. It was at peace with itself. There was no pain to suffer, no agony to torture it, while it was in the forest, with its birds and animals and gentle sunlight.

The other dragons knew of the sickly hatchling. They saw him, satisfied, always happy, always content. Dragging himself through the camp entrance and to the nursery for food and sleep. Dragging himself back out to the forest, to enjoy the sights, smells, gentle, natural melodies...

And they began to learn from him. Whenever they complained about their hunting, or how busy they were, or how worried they got, they only had to think of the little sickly hatchling, dragging itself among the pine needle floor, happy, relaxed, and carefree. They only had to think of his suffering when he was young, his agony, his pain. And they felt lucky and relaxed and happy, too. It was admired by many dragons. And its hatchling friends felt happy for it. And the females that cared for him were proud.

I am that hatchling.

I am The Sickly Hatchling.

Be sure to check out my other DC fanfictions on Fanfiction.net. This is only a few of them, picked for exhibition, and I've compiled a collection there for you to read that has many exclusive ones.

FFN Collection

Edited by beacker1160

This is really good! I love these kind of stories! =D Poor little dragon I know how he feels. Please keep it up ;D

This is really good! I love these kind of stories! =D Poor little dragon I know how he feels. Please keep it up ;D

kay biggrin.gif I've been waiting for a reply...I don't dare double post tongue.gif

I have actually started a collection of Dragcave fanfics on FFN (visit my profile to get the link. I will be posting a lot more there than here. I will only post select ones here and not all!).

Anyway, here's one about one of my scroll/clan leaders, Midnight Jubilante. She's always been mistrustful of me. Now, she's trying to explain why.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight Jubilante - My Frustration

---------------------------------------

I don’t know how to start, Beacker. There are many things that I could say right now. But I want you to understand this: I don’t distrust you for no reason.

Sometimes, I think you’re a bit rash. You quickly jump to decisions without considering the consequences and what will happen if you do them.

Okay, I admit, I am my clan’s youngest leader. I know. I’m also a bit hot-headed and stubborn. So what? I’m a good leader, you know. I don’t think old Isendae and Nocte Entitae could manage the clan as well without me. Don’t you agree?

Okay. That’s one thing we can agree on. I know you made me leader for a purpose.

Now, back to the subject. Look, I try not to be biased, but after a while...I...I find it hard to take you seriously. You sometimes fail to see things that everyone else doesn’t miss. Take our lineage search, for example. You want our clan’s snatchers to bring back eggs for us to check the lineage. If they aren’t good, we have to abandon them.

What? You don’t see anything wrong? Beacker! Don’t you know how much you’re overworking our snatchers? Paragon II, Avignant of Cicon II, and all the other snatcher dragons have to spend their days climbing in and out of that portal to go to the main cave. They hardly have time to be with their friends and have some free time! Don’t you see this?

Maybe you don’t because you’re not a dragon. You’re merely a human that spends your time supervising us--through a paper record! You don’t see all the real work that’s done behind that flimsy parchment scroll that you use to keep track of us! You don’t see all the hard work that’s being put into running the clan! Don’t you see what I mean?

Fine. I’ll calm down. But you get my point, correct?

Good.

Still. Do you see why I don’t trust you now? I know more about the clan than you. Your scroll, no matter how many times it magically updates per minute, doesn’t tell you it all. It doesn’t tell you about our real lives. How exhausted we are. If we’re hungry, or thirsty, or sick, or not. Or our...relationships with other dragons.

Yes, this is another part which you do not understand. Isendae, Nocte Entitae, and I agree that you are better than most other owners. You try to pair each of us with compatible types. I appreciate that, even though you haven’t paired me yet...with someone. I don’t really have much time, or interest, in romance. It doesn’t really matter to me.

But you should see the other owners. They breed their dragons all over the place, whether the dragons like it or not. I’ve seen two dragons, wailing at their owner for forcing them to mate. The father was roaring at the owner, and the owner used the kill action on both the father and the mother. It happened right next to the abandoned pile of eggs at the abandon page. The cruel owner did that in front of everyone, including several hatchlings. It was very disturbing.

Still, sometimes you make unsuitable mates. Like, for example, Blue Crystals of Ambaer and Silent Observer. They hated each other! In fact, even though I’m not supposed to, I did observe them trying to court each other. Instead, they literally clawed each other to death!

I get your logic. Yes, they both are related. She’s a geode, he’s a stone. They both sit by the clan cave’s entrance, guarding it. But do you know how much they absolutely despised each other? You could’ve gotten them to murder each other!

Still...I have to admit that you’re a great leader. I know you make decisions based on your scroll, but please, please consult me or Isendae or Nocte Entitae before you make your final choice! We know firsthand information. We can see things that your scroll doesn’t tell you. We actually live in the dragcave world. You are an outsider, and you belong to a different reality than us. I’m sorry to say that. No matter how close you may be to me...to us, you are not a dragon. You do not know how it’s like to be one of us. We all like you very much, but...there’s a difference between being our owner and close friend and being one of us.

You know me, Beacker. I tend to get frustrated really quickly. I’m stubborn and short-tempered at times. I can get really mad over something trivial and unimportant. But, please.

We need to work together. So let’s understand each other and get along.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed that one! I will keep adding more periodically, but remember, there's a lot of FFN exclusives you guys are missing out on!

Edited by beacker1160

EDIT, JULY 2015: Yeah, this post. This post and this thread are disappointments to me. But this is not because of any reason other than myself. Although I am sure you will be able to tell if you read what I wrote below, I was an incessantly entitled, narcissistic brat back when I began this thread. As a result of my immaturity and arrogance, this thread died.

I have since left this forum for the most part for 2 years. Life has moved on, and brought with it change and new experiences which have helped me to grow into a better person, and a better writer. Of course, I won't pretend as if I am completely reborn, and have somehow magically wiped the slate clean of my past. However, I am ready to start anew.

I do not believe this thread can be salvaged at this point. Nor will I try to do so anytime in the near future. Although I do not believe what I wrote below represents who I am anymore, I will leave it here as an acknowledgement of past times, and a warning for the future.

In conclusion, I sincerely apologize for my past self...and all remnants thereof.

~Beacker1160

-----------------------

You know, this thread has really been a disappointment to me.

I wonder why everyone likes art, but not writing and fanfictions. I dunno. Maybe they're impatient. Maybe arts look better and use more glue and glitter and explosive rockets and etc. etc.

But nobody has replied to this.

I am seriously considering shutting this down and retreating to my Fanfiction.net collection, which I constantly expand despite the near 0 views. The only reason why I do not expand this is because I'm afraid of double posting.

Why am I double posting now? Because the situation is ridiculous. I won't get any new viewers. I'm sorry, but I should probably delete this thread now. I'm not angry at you guys. I'm simply disappointed, not at you, but at the lack of attention in general.

You people should have the freedom to enjoy fanarts. This post isn't an attempt to get more viewers. It's simply a statement that I feel that this thread is not attracting attention and since I cannot double post under normal circumstances, this is preventing me from posting more fanfics.

Therefore, I will shut this down one week to this day if nobody would like to reply or look at my fanfictions. I understand art is more colorful and pretty and shiny and stuff, but really, I had hoped there would be more enthusiasm in the field of dragcave fanfiction.

Thank you and have a nice day with art. - Beacker1160

Edited by beacker1160

It's hard to get readers for dragcave fanfiction. Why? All things considered, in the scheme of things, we're a pretty small corner of the fanfiction market. People look to read the major fandoms: things like Dr. Who, Avengers, etc.

No, no, no. I'm not saying you should switch to other fandoms. Far from it, just stating a truth about why it's harder to get readers for dragcave fanfic.

Write what you want, and if you don't get posts or comments, so be it. I haven't gotten a post in my writing thread in over a month. It's not the hugest deal; I just keep posting what I have up. If someone wants to make something out of it, well that's great. If not, at least I had fun writing it.

My suggestion would do a bit of networking. Just like any "business," where you advertise your art is equally important as anything else. My biggest suggestion would dA if you haven't already. Post up your pieces, submit them to the dragcave fan group, or just general dragon based groups. Link to your fanfiction account on your dA main page. Small things like that. It takes time, but you eventually build an audience. True, it's more difficult with writing than it is with art.

But it's not because we're lackluster. Surely not. Good writing is just as good as good art. It's because our message is not instant, not like a piece of art. In art, you can look at it and immediately analyze it. However, writing (in ways) asks the reader for more time and direct attention (not always, but a fair amount of the time). Because you're asking more of your audience, they're less likely to give it. It's easier to convince someone to sit down and look at a picture for a minute than to read a story that will take them fifteen. The thing is, as much issues as this causes, it's also has it's advantages. Because of the time it takes, a good piece of writing can engage an audience member even more than art sometimes can (once again, this isn't always. There are always exceptions to the norm). Don't think of it as getting less attention. Think of it as you'll touch your reader on a deeper level if you can manage to convince them to give you your attention. In those minutes you have them, you'll lead them into a colorful and brilliant world art can find difficult to duplicate other than for a glittering of a moment. You get less people, but in the end it evens out because you get more of that single person's attention than a piece of art is likely to. (Once again, I'm not dissing art people. There are exceptions, and there have been times where I've found a piece that kept me enthralled for hours.)

We're a culture of instant gratification, and therein lies the problem of less attention.

There's nothing wrong with double posting in the original works section, by the by, says so in the rules. As long as it's been a while since your last post. Even if no one has replied~

Edited by Walker

It's hard to get readers for dragcave fanfiction. Why? All things considered, in the scheme of things, we're a pretty small corner of the fanfiction market. People look to read the major fandoms: things like Dr. Who, Avengers, etc.

No, no, no. I'm not saying you should switch to other fandoms. Far from it, just stating a truth about why it's harder to get readers for dragcave fanfic.

Write what you want, and if you don't get posts or comments, so be it. I haven't gotten a post in my writing thread in over a month. It's not the hugest deal; I just keep posting what I have up. If someone wants to make something out of it, well that's great. If not, at least I had fun writing it.

My suggestion would do a bit of networking. Just like any "business," where you advertise your art is equally important as anything else. My biggest suggestion would dA if you haven't already. Post up your pieces, submit them to the dragcave fan group, or just general dragon based groups. Link to your fanfiction account on your dA main page. Small things like that. It takes time, but you eventually build an audience. True, it's more difficult with writing than it is with art.

But it's not because we're lackluster. Surely not. Good writing is just as good as good art. It's because our message is not instant, not like a piece of art. In art, you can look at it and immediately analyze it. However, writing (in ways) asks the reader for more time and direct attention (not always, but a fair amount of the time). Because you're asking more of your audience, they're less likely to give it. It's easier to convince someone to sit down and look at a picture for a minute than to read a story that will take them fifteen. The thing is, as much issues as this causes, it's also has it's advantages. Because of the time it takes, a good piece of writing can engage an audience member even more than art sometimes can (once again, this isn't always. There are always exceptions to the norm). Don't think of it as getting less attention. Think of it as you'll touch your reader on a deeper level if you can manage to convince them to give you your attention. In those minutes you have them, you'll lead them into a colorful and brilliant world art can find difficult to duplicate other than for a glittering of a moment. You get less people, but in the end it evens out because you get more of that single person's attention than a piece of art is likely to. (Once again, I'm not dissing art people. There are exceptions, and there have been times where I've found a piece that kept me enthralled for hours.)

We're a culture of instant gratification, and therein lies the problem of less attention.

There's nothing wrong with double posting in the original works section, by the by, says so in the rules. As long as it's been a while since your last post. Even if no one has replied~

Thank you for this advice (especially the part about double posting!). I will continue to keep this open and write.

As halloween is coming up, I see it fit to construct a humorous tale about the happenings around my clan. It's told by Nocte Entitae Rasvim, one of my clan leaders (known for both his humor and seriousness). It's quite long. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nocte Entitae Rasvim - Halloween

Halloween approaches. I know this to be a fact.

How do I know? Everyone insists on telling me so. After all, I am one of the leaders of the over 200 dragons that make up my clan. Somebody was bound to tell me of the news. Just a few minutes ago Midnight Jubilante, another one of the clan leaders, stopped by to wish me a "Scary Halloween, Nocte Entitae!"

But there is another way that I know. I know because of the abandoned pile. I have been there countless of times, but not recently. Back when the clan was young, when it was only old Isendae, Albastre, and I, I was in charge of getting eggs from the abandoned pile. Not now. We have snatchers now. Brave dragons they are, venturing to the abandoned pile and diving right in to get us rare eggs. I admire their spirit, their resolve, how they do not hesitate to enter the dangerous conditions to take eggs. When you're trying to grab rare eggs and there are up to a hundred other snatchers, it's no easy task. It might even be dangerous. I speak from a first-hand experience. Once, I was pinned under a bloated balloon dragon. The fellow thought it would be smart of him to rise up and dive-bomb the pile. Needless to say, it was very uncomfortable being pinned under his huge mass for a few minutes until he realized I was stuck down there, choking and gasping for air.

As for the abandoned pile, my snatchers report that halloween eggs have been dropping by the masses. Paragon II and the others were the first of our clan to see a black marrow egg. It was snatched away before he could touch it. Later, he admitted it was because he was so shocked at the sight of the egg that he didn't notice a quick, nimble pygmy dragon dart under him and take it out from right under his wings. But Paragon II is an excellent snatcher. Of course he didn't take defeat for an answer! He managed to snag us another black marrow egg. It was my clan's first halloween egg. I was so proud...and a bit disgusted by the horrific, dead-decaying-body-mixed-with-swamp-waste smell the egg gave off.

Eventually, the snatcher team came back in glory. They had snatched a pumpkin egg, a half-transparent shadow walker egg (which kept disappearing, much to the annoyance of the snatcher carrying it), and another black marrow egg, which I immediately ordered to be abandoned. The putrid smell of one of those vile eggs was bad enough, not to mention three (yes, Paragon II brought back three. I still have no idea why). Besides, I did not want to be like those snobby gold-trophy users, stuffing themselves silly with eggs and leaving none for the others. Pah. One of each kind is good enough. Perhaps maybe two of those nice looking shadow-walkers, but no more than two. Those eggs disappear too much for their own good.

The whole clan crowded around the eggs, fighting to look at them. This was, indeed, our first holiday. Isendae Anamatus, Albastre Mere, and I had, unfortunately, banded together and formed a clan four days after valentine's day, and we were unable to snatch eggs, since only clans were granted portals to the abandoned pile. Eventually, fearing that someone would break the eggs, Beacker1160, Albastre Mere, and Violet Dawn (a vivacious purple dragon who had quite the reputation for being foster mother for abandoned eggs) shooed everyone away and carried the halloween eggs to the leader's cave to be kept safe. Imagine that! I protested to the best of my ability, not wanting that stinking, vile marrow egg next to where I slept, but Albastre Mere and Beacker1160 shushed me up. I guess I will just have to resort to sleeping somewhere else until that egg hatches. Oh, I will miss my cave! Even after that marrow grows up, it'll take forever for the stink to recede and fade away. I will probably have to sleep with the rest of the adults in the massive adult cave for a few weeks. Sigh.

Speaking of caves, several of my clan's dragons have decided to spruce up the adult cave, medicine cavern, nursery, and the camp in general. Witewing, one of the eldest dragons of the clan, put pumpkins up all around his medicine cavern. I never knew my dear friend Witewing liked pumpkins. Now I know. He isn't the only one, however. All of the pymy dragons have joined forces, invading all sorts of places and decorating them with multitudes assorted pumpkins, carved, uncarved, or somewhere in between. One even had a flaming candle in it (I have a feeling it was stolen from Beacker1160's pockets by our resident misfit pymgies). Ariele the Pumpkin Expert, a pygmy hatchling, has been generously donating her pumpkins to our food storage, though not many dragons would want to eat them (the pymies mainly launch giant raids on the undefended food storage cave and steal them for their said decoration campaign). Just today I nearly tripped over a very nicely carved pumpkin that vaguely resembled my face, but with a disgusted sort of look. I carried it to the leader's den and put it there as a reminder to the others that I seriously do not approve of that marrow egg and its horrific stench in my cave.

Another thing I have found to be very funny and interesting are the constumes that have magically appeared on the dragons a few days ago. Midnight Jubilante awoke with some sort of red leather cowl and cloak. Isendae Anamatus laughed and laughed until she pointed out that he had cobwebs all over him. After spending several hours attempting to remove them with various methods (including, or so as it was rumored, lighting them on fire), Isendae finally admitted defeat and conceded that for some reason, these magical halloween costumes could not be removed.

Many of the other dragons have these ridiculous costumes. I, myself, have not been cursed with them, however. But there are those who are very unlucky. I just walked past Sir Fromage d'Affinois, one of our cheese dragons, and I noted that he looked more like a dalmation than a magical cheese sculpture infused with life. My dear friend Witewing himself looked like a wizard, hat, staff, and all. In fact, all of the white dragons looked like wizards. Now I finally know where they get all their famous healing magic from.

But these are nothing compared to some of the others. Windy Autumn Night and Chilly Autumn Evening, two night glory drakes, both had black hoods and a scythe. They almost emanated death as I passed them. However, the effect was somewhat diminished due to Windy Autumn Night hysterically shrieking that she did not want to look like the grim reaper and Chilly Autumn Evening trying to calm her down. Somehow, I have a feeling that it would be quite a while before I see anything like that again. The pillow, tinsel, and royal blues also have very, very ridiculous looks. Gentle Moonlit Sky, a royal blue and a former assistant, seemed to me like a giant ladybug, while Sir Lucere II, another royal blue, looked suspiciously like a bee. The pillow dragon males continued to sleep right through their costume change, despite the uproar of laughter at their pink clothes and red-dyed wings. The tinsels were also cursed with similar red wings, though they made a joke out of it. Frosty Festive Holidays even decided to hang christmas baubles on his wings, and walked around with them until Albastre Mere kindly reminded him that it was, indeed, not christmas and that he should consider some other halloween-related decoration. Later, I walked by him and noticed miniature hollow pumpkins on his wings. Some of them had pygmies inside, hanging along for the ride. They waved at me as I burst out laughing. The silver tinsel apparently had become the pygmy express.

But the strangest costumes of all were the horse dragons, the water dragons, the balloon dragons and the alt blacks. Earlier during the day I spied The Satellite, a shy and isolated horse dragon. She looked like a neglected dragon. Indeed, she told me, she did feel as if her costume was neglected by whoever drew it, for it was absolutely humiliating. The water dragon males aren't much better. Their scales have magically turned into red and black stripes. Not good if you're looking for a female water dragon to court. Not good at all. The balloon dragons turned into inflatable tigers. Now I am really glad it wasn't halloween when I got stuck under that particular one at the abandoned page. Being sat on by a huge, round inflatable tiger is not a very fun experience.

The black alts have been cursed as well. Frozen Midnight Sky looked like a...combination of several animals and items, respectively. He had a feathered tail decorated with deep cyan plumage, along with a second set of what appears to be papery wings. But the funniest thing of all is his mouth-err, beak. Every time he tries to talk, it comes out as a squawk. Nevertheless, he was at least able to communicate that he absolutely abhorred his costume and that no matter what he tried, he couldn't get the beak off (hopefully he did not try to burn it off, like Isendae Anamatus). In fact, I must remind myself to request that the pygmies carve a pumpkin with a disgusted face for Frozen Midnight Sky, so he can put it on top of his beak to show his disapproval of the recent addition to his body.

All in all, the halloween is progressing nicely. I have the luxury of sitting on top of a tree at the evening, watching the various, ridiculously dressed dragons go about their daily hunting. Midnight Jubilante is brave enough to venture out and lead the clan with Isendae. However, some are not. I have recently found Early Autumn Summerfang, a summer seasonal dragon, hiding at the back of the adult's den, dressed in a grass skirt. He wouldn't come out no matter how hard I tried to persuade him. I don't blame him. If I was forced to wear a grass skirt, I would hide in the back of the leader's cave, too. Wait, no. I'm not getting within a dozen feet of that marrow egg, sitting in my cave. Fortunately, I am not wearing a grass skirt. Otherwise, I would have to commence making a list of possible hiding places far, far away from the other dragons and civilization in general.

With the addition of the new halloween eggs, the clan camp has an excited feeling in the air. I firmly, firmly ordered that no previous eggs shall be abandoned to make room for more halloween eggs. Part of my decision was because it wouldn't be fair for the other, non-halloween eggs. The other reason was because I have a hunch that if the normal eggs were abandoned, Paragon II would continue to torture me by bringing back one marrow egg after another and placing them all around the camp. Maybe I do need to make a list of far, far away sleeping places, so I can evacuate if more marrow eggs invade the camp.

So, the horrific marrow eggs, the curse of the ridiculous costumes, and the pygmy pumpkin campaign. All because of the upcoming halloween. You know what? I can't wait for the halloween night. Then, after the crazy grab for halloween eggs, all of this will be over. No more strange costumes. No more tripping over pumpkins in all sorts of strange places. And, of course, no more marrow egg stinking up my leader's den (I shall just have to resort to keeping that marrow adult away from my cave).

Halloween approaches. And I know this to be a fact.

--------------------------------------

Edited by beacker1160

It's been a while since my last post. I apologize for the hiatus, I have been busy.

Well, today I have a fanfiction featuring none other than Nocte Entitae Rasvim, one of my clan leaders, famous for his humorous stories!

Nocte Entitae Rasvim - Winter of the Egg Huggers

Nocte Entitae Rasvim, one of the leaders of my clan, tells a humorous story of one dragon’s way of keeping warm.

Written 11/23/12.

As any sensible dragon knows, winter is coming. And winter, in my opinion is too cold. And too snowy. And too blizzard-y. And too...you get the point. But I’ve always lived through the winters fine enough. Sure, my nose gets too cold, and when I sit still as a statue during the day, the bottom part of my body freezes, but I’ve always survived. That much cannot be said of some of the other dragons. I am sick and tired of hearing the summer seasonals wailing and complaining that winter is too cold. Of course the winter is cold!

Once, I tried to cheer them up by throwing a snowball at them. Later, I thoroughly regretted it as I turned into a statue as the rising sun shone on me. Well, I was doing something in the middle of the camp, and I turned to ‘stone’ as the sunlight spilled out from behind the trees. As I pondered my philosophical thoughts, waiting for the morning to pass by, I suddenly heard several dragons walking up behind me. Then, I felt the cold sensation of snow being packed on my wings. “Hey! Nobody dares to do that to a clan leader,” I thought indignantly. I didn’t know who it was, since I couldn’t change my eye direction, but then after whoever it was thoroughly covered my wings in snow, they did it to the rest of my body. Turns out, it was those summer seasonals! I didn’t know I made them that angry by throwing one single snowball at them. But apparently, they were so mad, they turned me into an extra-large version of the snowball that I threw. As the day went by, everyone wondered why there was a giant ball of hard-packed snow in the center of the camp. It took me hours to get out of there after the sun set, and I was shivering uncontrollably for days after.

The winter seasonals are at least more fun. They have snowball fights. They scare their fellow dragons by hiding in the snow next to the camp entrance and bursting out as their clanmates pass by. They gather big, flat pieces of tree bark and have ‘bark races’ down the mountain hills, riding on the bark and dodging the tall trees. And guess what? The champion of all of the seasonals gets to...throw a snowball at a clan leader. Which would be me. It was me last year and the year before that, since Isendae Anamatus and Midnight Jubilante, the other two leaders, always seem to be ‘busy’.

The red dragons are always pranking these races by walking up and down the hill and melting snow with their fire to create ‘quicksand’ places that the bark sleds would fall into and break. As a result, last year one of the seasonals went missing. We had to search for two days through all of the mush piles, and we finally found him buried under one of them, melting snow for water and trying to eat rocks. Why he couldn’t get out by himself still remains a mystery to this day. My current guess is that he just didn’t want to do his chores and duties, though I can’t imagine them being so horrific that he’d rather eat rocks and break all his teeth.

The ice dragons are the most brilliant crafters I have ever seen. They can make ice sculptures of almost anything, but sadly, not a lot of them are artistic. However, I recently persuaded one of them to make a sculpture for me. It could be anything he wanted. Three hours later, I returned to find that he had made a humiliating mini-figurine of me getting hit by that snowball from last year. I took it, thanked him hastily, and then ran to the bark racing hills to put it in the snow before anyone could see it. Hopefully the red dragons would have accidentally melted it by now.

The biggest event by far would be Christmas, but that has not come yet. That’s good, because I haven’t figured out where I can hide from everyone else and live my life in isolation as long as those ridiculous costumes stay on me. Isendae Anamatus and Midnight Jubilante can lead the clan without me for a week or two. Fortunately, last year I was not afflicted by those accursed costumes, but I cannot be sure this year. If I wake up in the leader’s den with a santa hat and a balloon-dragon sized belly, my influence will be ruined.

Another aspect of Christmas is the decoration of the camp. Midnight Jubilante is very adamant that the camp will absolutely be decorated for Christmas. She has already had everything planned - Christmas tree in the center of the clearing, wreaths over every cave, and decorated pine trees at the entrance to the camp. I’m all in for it, as long as that ice dragon doesn’t make more of those figurines and hangs them up with the ornaments on the trees. That would possibly be the only thing worse than me dressed up as Santa Claus being pulled on a bark sled down the hill by a bunch of seasonals disguised as reindeer.

There will be a lack of food supply for the winter, so all of the clan members are working together to hunt prey and store it in the chilly food storage, located in a freezing cavern underneath the camp. Even the leaders have to help, which is regrettable because I was busy looking like I was planning fight tactics (even though we aren’t currently fighting with anyone) while I was actually planning places to hide. So, instead of my own personal interest, I had to put the clan interest ahead of me. Which apparently means finding the hiding spots of prey instead of finding my own. At least I don’t have to do that too much, because I can only move around at night.

Speaking of which, nobody really likes going out at night now. Don’t ask me why. Maybe they’re being nice to me by staying away from me at night, so I can live my life as pseudo-Santa Claus without being humiliated for the whole entire week that the costume stays on me. Or maybe it’s because everyone wants to get their sleep while they still can, before they have to get up at dawn to hunt elk and deer and whatever else they could find. There’s a rumor going around that one of the black dragons brought back a bear, or at least a big brown animal of some sort. Maybe he got one of those poor seasonals, dressed up as brown reindeer.

But perhaps the most interesting thing of all is what the pygmies are doing. A while ago, Isendae Anamatus issued an order to get more red dragons for the clan. Apparently, as the weather got cold, the pygmies saw those red eggs and got an idea. They snuck in the nursery in the middle of the night and stole the red eggs, and snuck them away to their nests in the adult cave. One of the females found the eggs missing in the morning and raised the alarm, and the whole camp was searched, including the leader’s den. How disrespectful! I loudly proclaimed my right to privacy, but they waved me away and looked through my cave. Humph!

Eventually, they found those pygmies sleeping on the eggs, looking content as the red eggs’ warmth seeped into them. They had a peculiar way of resting, almost as if they were hugging the eggs. Hah! Egg huggers! I wondered why I hadn’t thought of that idea before, but then I realized that if I sat on a red egg, it would probably explode messily, and I’m really not in the mood to clean up splattered eggs. I guess I shall just have to find a huge red egg to be my bed for the rest of the winter. Or I simply need to keep a fire going in my den. But then again, I’m far too lazy to do that.

Anyway, it’s not quite Christmas yet, so the trees aren’t set up (and those humiliating ornaments haven’t been made), the wreaths aren’t decorated, and (thankfully) the annual bark races haven’t started. This year, I’ll make sure Isendae Anamatus or Midnight Jubilante gets hit by the snowball. They won’t be able to use me anymore. Oh, no, no, no! This year I will quietly tip-toe out of the camp in the middle of the night and fly to my pre-arranged hiding place, where I will live the rest of the week in quiet paradise, hunting my own food and ignoring my own Santa Claus self.

There is just one problem with this otherwise magnificent plan. And it is known as...weather. The winters in our clan are horrific. Since our clan camp is on a forest ridge on the northern mountain range of the territory, we start getting blizzards at around November, and snow before that. Alas, I do not fancy being all alone, at night, up in a mountain where even shouting can set off avalanches, for one whole week. I guess I will just have to take that snowball to the face for yet another year. And the costumes. And the little ice figurines that give me those bad memories of last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

I can’t wait for spring to arrive.

Your work is really good. I don't know why people won't read it. I have read all your peices so far and they are really good.

These must have taken you hours to write, and they are really amazing. I wish I could write like that. Subscribed to thread and can't wait for the next! biggrin.gif

These must have taken you hours to write, and they are really amazing. I wish I could write like that. Subscribed to thread and can't wait for the next! biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for subscribing!

I promise you guys that something very, very big will be coming up for Christmas. This is why I have dropped the daily updates. But be patient and I guarantee you will like it! biggrin.gif

Stay tuned! The surprise will be released on Dec. 26 as a present :3

Thank you very much for subscribing!

I promise you guys that something very, very big will be coming up for Christmas. This is why I have dropped the daily updates. But be patient and I guarantee you will like it! biggrin.gif

Stay tuned! The surprise will be released on Dec. 26 as a present :3

Ohh, I only had time to read the first story so far, I absolutely love it! Don't get your hopes down, some people just would prefer looking at art over reading. I enjoy both, and you sure have a skill for writing!

I'll be keeping up with this thread and reading when I can biggrin.gif Keep it up!!

I really like how you made these into a little story for each dragon. It's an interesting idea. Great job!

I like your stories, they are cute and inventive. You have a gift for characterisation, your protagonists are very engaging.

I love reading stories where the different breeds' traits come out. What makes them unique, and how they live.

Will we know what happens to that little dorsal ? I feel so sorry for him. I hope he will be ok.

I've just realized the horrific delay in that promised Christmas story! But first of all, I'd like to thank all of you who have participated in this thread. I value each and every one of your critiques and feedback and comments. It's really great to see that my fanfictions are being appreciated by you guys! Thank you all!

As my fanfic is not entirely done, I will not be able to post it now (it is HUGE; actually a novella). However this fanfic is no ordinary fanfic, it is actually a Dragcave edition of a famous Christmas story (hint: 1843). As a compensation of keeping you guys waiting, I will also post an extra Christmas story AND a poem by none other than our resident comedian, Nocte Entitae Rasvim.

It has been far too long since my last post. I will probably not post here too much more now, as I am not as active as I was. This thread's also been slightly tainted by my more immature self a few months ago. As of right now I'm mostly just writing DC fanfiction and quietly posting them to FFN. I may or may not use this thread again, and if I do, it will be occasional. Sorry, my followers. I just am not into DC too much anymore.