TJ09

2012-09-18 - Minor Updates

This. I chip in when I can, but if I had to pay to play all the time, even when I'm broke - I too would consider dropping out. As for my grandson - he's only 12... he wouldn't have a chance ! We have a lot of young players here.

Plus, part of the appeal of this game, beyond the free aspect, or maybe because of it, is the fact that the people here are just plain NICE, by and large. Sure, we have a few bad apples in the group, but this community shares and treats each other with kindess and decency that is hard to come by in larger games that one has to pay to play. Those games often promote a solitary, selfish atmosphere because people are protecting the piece of the pie they've shelled out money to purchase. Here, we're all fairly equal in what we have to do to get what we have, and we help others less fortunate to try obtain the same, if we can.

Now, off to check out that character count, and see if it prevents those stupid AA's from showing up in descriptions. tongue.gif

I'm sorry you guys, I wasn't suggesting that TJ charge a monthly fee to play the game. I used the other site as an example only. That being said, even if TJ did start to charge a monthly fee for the game, for every person that left another would take their place. Bet on it. Also, the game I was talking about has a huge community just like this one. People are helpful, friendly, kind. Oh sure, you get people that get snappy now and again, but it's never, not one minute of one day, ugly. So it is possible to have a game that's pay to play, and also have an awesome, big group of good people. I know. I'm over there. lol But anyway, no, I'm sorry, I wasn't suggesting that the entire site be pay to play. I personally can't see that happening, ever. But I'm all for TJ putting out some items...like those skins...for USD if he was ever in trouble and needed that money to live and survive.

If TJ was ever on the verge of disaster and, God forbid, was about to face being in the streets, and he put out an announcement that because of circumstances certain things were going to be offered for real money, be it an egg, skins, or whatever, I wouldn't piss and moan about it. I'd get it.

Edit: Let's just hope that TJ is always ok, and that nothing will change. But I would like to think that if something did change and TJ needed extra income, people would be understanding.

Edited by MedievalMystic

for every person that left another would take their place.  Bet on it.

I certainly wouldn't... He would pretty much forever loose the userbase of "kids" [young enough to not have any way to pay online by themselves] as well as anyone who doesn't have a job or doesn't have any extra money for "luxuries" like pixel dragons. I personally suspect the "kids" userbase is a majority of the people on the site, or at least close to that, even if they aren't all on the forums [parents might allow an 8 year old to sign up for a FREE pixel dragons site, but forbid them from joining the forums]

Basically, you obviously have a very different opinion about sites that require money to play, either completely [pay money or you don't have access to your account] or technically [if you don't pay money you don't get the full experience] than most of the people on THIS site. Something minor like extra skins, sure. But I seriously doubt you've seen the outcry that occurs when things like dragons are suggested to be paid perks. If nothing else it would be a very slippery slope to something like GaiaOnline, where ALL the items that are at all pretty or awesome are for money or a TON of in-site currency paid to those who bought them with real money.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I guess my thinking is just more flexable. I'm looking at this from a totally different angle. And no, I haven't seen any threads lately about dragons as perks and the reactions to that. I assume the reactions aren't good ones. lol

I never realized that DC was TJ's only source of income, until he just said it here. It made me start thinking about him and his situation. Besides, like I said before, I'm basing my opinion on a worse case scenario, which hopefully will never happen.

This site is already a lot of work...work TJ doesn't get a single cent for from us.  Imo, adding in some 'pay to get' things...like the skins someone mentioned...doesn't seem like it would be all that hard for TJ to do.  Maybe he could add new skins once or twice a year.  Same with any other pay options.  I don't see this as causing any problems with the site overall. 

Anyway, all that debate aside, it's not all about us.  TJ said it himself.  This is his only source of income.  Maybe that will change later, maybe it won't.  The bottom line is it's a tough world out there.  If the man finds that he's struggling for whatever reason and is in dire straits financially and needs more money to live and eat and survive, he'd be a damn fool not to take advantage of an option that's right at his fingertips, and that's the option to offer up things to those people that can...and will...pay for them.  If it comes to the nitty gritty, and if it ever comes down to a choice between keeping this site totally free and possibly losing his home because he can't pay the rent, or bringing on some items/eggs for good old USD so that he can keep his home, I know what I'd do in his position, and all the screaming and yelling that would ensue be damned.  In that situation, personally, I wouldn't be in the streets for anybody.  Would you? 

I don't care if the site stays free.  I'm fine with it how it is.  But if it ever in this life comes down to the wire and TJ is in trouble and needs money, bring on the stuff for USD.

You've misunderstood me. I was offering the con. The pro is obvious--that paid perks bring in money.

As you said, the site is already a lot of work. Adding paid perks risks adding to that workload: when you promise new skins or customization, someone has to go off and make those, code that, etc. It doesn't just happen, and because users will always want something new (like not just new skins, but 'new skins once or twice a year'), it's not a once-and-done thing. That takes away from time making things for the everyone to make things just for the paid users.

Maintaining paid perks also risks adding to that workload: when something goes wrong (and at some point, something will always go wrong), someone has to go in, figure out what's wonky and fix that. Time spent fixing, updating and maintaining the paid perks is time not spent on the site as a whole. Basically, paid perks that add something to the site split the site into a paid version and a free version, and the free version will always lose out on that deal.

As for the 'would you?', you've already mentally put TJ out onto the streets, a poor homeless website owner surrounded by angry user mobs 'screaming and yelling', to justify a paid version. That's one silly strawman. The general response to paying to remove ads has been good, and TJ hasn't suggested that he's on a street corner, stumbling around with ramen-induced scurvy, asking passersby to purchase a site skin since us mean users (generally) don't want paid perks. "Skins, sir? *cough* Customise your website, gov'nah?"

Edited to add...

That being said, even if TJ did start to charge a monthly fee for the game, for every person that left another would take their place. Bet on it.

Bet against it. Games already face a challenge in keeping users as the 'new' wears off or the next big thing rolls in; pay-to-play adds a barrier to entry, and there are plenty of free versions out there competing, in addition to the next new fad.

There are plenty of game ghost towns out there, and plenty of folks who'll say, "Yeah, I haven't touched that in forever." Given that I already see fewer forum sigs, blog comments, etc. with critters needing views, I think walling off DC would kill it.

Edited by schmupti

Yes, as I said, I'm looking at a worse case scenario. Like I said, I didn't realize that this was TJ's only source of income. Sure, my scenario might have been worse case, but it's damn sure not unheard of. People working 20 years at the same job suddenly find they're out of work and have lost everything. Hardship, especially financial hardship, is pretty common today. Hell, people here say they can't afford to pay even a few dollars a month for a game because money is so tight. People are struggling everywhere, and believe it or not, it's not a huge stretch to think that someone, anyone, could end up in such dire financial straits that homelessness is looming on the horizon. It's happened to thousands of people. No, TJ did not say he was in any way close to that. But if he ever did find himself in such unfortunate circumstances, I'd expect him to look out for number one and do what he had to do, whatever that may be, including offering paid perks for this site. Maybe this scenario seems far fetched and outrageous to you, but I've seen friends of mine lose everything due to loss of jobs and income. It happens. When TJ said this was his only income, it got me thinking about it. That's all. I guess TJ's comment about this being his income just got me thinking about what friends have gone through, and how they went from having a home, car, life, etc, to not having anything, and somehow my thoughts bled over to TJ and his situation. I'm probably overthinking all this anyway. Sorry about that. lol

Bet against it. Games already face a challenge in keeping users as the 'new' wears off or the next big thing rolls in

The game I used as an example earlier has been around 8 years. The people that started from day one are still there. I've been there for over 3 years. Others have been there for over 5-6 or longer. Even people that break from the game eventually come back and get new accounts. It's a good thing, and people are sticking with it. Nobody is bored. Everyone is loyal. I see DC the same way.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I like money, too. Maybe I'll start offering a "No Nine" censorship service, where people pay me to not post on the forums. I think it'd go over pretty well.

As this topic is turning into suggestions, I will close it now.