TJ09

2012-09-18 - Minor Updates

...The subscription is essentially donation with a tiny benefit and that's the entire point of it.

And seriously TJ? No more Cheese in the ToS? That's disappointing sad.gif

Like these updates, found them helpful so thank you TJ smile.gif

There's a spacing line missing after the Cheating section. ohmy.gif

I do like the character counter!

I'm glad people are seeing what i was /trying/ to accomplish with the ad-free suggestion. I have other ideas for things that might be something you guys would enjoy (like this would give no specific perk.. but a nice present).. but i want to work out a few more kinks before pitching them smile.gif

Im only doing the subscription for a month at a time myself. Mainly because i prefer the option of skipping a month if im not going to be playing for whatever reason smile.gif I would do monthly subscription, but would need things to come out on a specific day.

I do wish there were an option for the Ad-Free to cover the forum as well as the cave, so that all costs were covered for TJ and the site as a whole. But until there is, I will continue to use Ad-Block on the forum, because that is how the virus my mother got on her computer (I was visiting and she had no Ad-Block on her browser) got in, and I don't want one on my box. But other than that, I'm not sorry I chose to beta the A-F, and I will renew when it comes up next year. If it helps others who can't, that's all right by me.

People, I need help. I checked and Javascript is enabled, but the counter still won't show up! What should I do?

People, I need help. I checked and Javascript is enabled, but the counter still won't show up! What should I do?

Try re-starting your browser and, if that doesn't work, try disabling any add-ons you have.

Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but does the money from the ad-free subscriptions count towards the donation meter?

Thanks for the heads up, TJ. smile.gif

(you all have made it very clear that you don't want "paid perks")

I wasn't one of those people. I'm all for it, and have been from day one. Mwahaha! >:D

I have other ideas for things that might be something you guys would enjoy (like this would give no specific perk.. but a nice present)..

Yes, please. Bring on those ideas. lol

I'll be getting that add free option at the beginning of next month.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I really like the current and (previously-announced) recent updates made to the site. Thank you, TJ and crew, for continuing to streamline this awesome place! I don't know where else to say this, so will use this post:

Thank you for this fun, free, relaxing game! I adore the forum community, lineage-building, trading, cave-hunting, and AP-diving. And what makes it even better is that I can make progress no matter how poor my internet connection is (whenever I do have it)--which means I can pretty much play anywhere I am in the world. It's a nice way to relax, and offers some consistency to my sometimes stressful work. I'm so happy to be a part of such an engaged community. Anyway, those are my two cents. Hope all's well! smile.gif

It may have been noted before- but I just noticed that the sometimes confusing

" up to 4 eggs" breeding action description has been changed to"potentially producing eggs" biggrin.gif

I fully agree with you. Extra perks like that will induce more folks to sign up, but not give any sort of advantage in playing the game itself.

A selection of different skins would be something that would appeal to a lot of people and allow greater customisation, while getting TJ more of the income he needs and deserves.

Paid perks would add work. Time spent creating and maintaining perks for paid players is time spent not creating/maintaining for the site as a whole.

Paid perks would add drama, as paid users often feel entitled to complain louder about downtime, glitches, changes, etc. They paid good money, ergo they believe their voices should carry more weight. (See: Livejournal.)

Paid perks would add more drama, as users already get defensive over Things They Cannot Have, such as limited edition and discontinued dragons (e.g. Frills), joke pancakes, etc.

A simple opt-out of ads is a nice little paid service that can't be rubbed in anyone's face, doesn't promise membership in an elite club, and has limited impact on the To Do list. Simple is good.

Now theres good news to hear, that you like this and want it as your job, meaning you'll hear more people out and do more for this site and etc, unlike a few sites I know who get free money and don't even run it is sad, but this won't become one, I just hope later and I can help donate and pay for the ads free, as so do i dislike ads from various reasons....

But anyhow, good update and hope to see more Awesome stuff as its now fall and halloween is next month, who, time to get ready, sweet, my idea will play along nicely, lol....

Paid perks would add work. Time spent creating and maintaining perks for paid players is time spent not creating/maintaining for the site as a whole.

Paid perks would add drama, as paid users often feel entitled to complain louder about downtime, glitches, changes, etc. They paid good money, ergo they believe their voices should carry more weight. (See: Livejournal.)

Paid perks would add more drama, as users already get defensive over Things They Cannot Have, such as limited edition and discontinued dragons (e.g. Frills), joke pancakes, etc.

I don't mind the idea of 'paid perks' at all. I pay real money to play every single game I play except this one.

This site is already a lot of work...work TJ doesn't get a single cent for from us. Imo, adding in some 'pay to get' things...like the skins someone mentioned...doesn't seem like it would be all that hard for TJ to do. Maybe he could add new skins once or twice a year. Same with any other pay options. I don't see this as causing any problems with the site overall.

Anyway, all that debate aside, it's not all about us. TJ said it himself. This is his only source of income. Maybe that will change later, maybe it won't. The bottom line is it's a tough world out there. If the man finds that he's struggling for whatever reason and is in dire straits financially and needs more money to live and eat and survive, he'd be a damn fool not to take advantage of an option that's right at his fingertips, and that's the option to offer up things to those people that can...and will...pay for them. If it comes to the nitty gritty, and if it ever comes down to a choice between keeping this site totally free and possibly losing his home because he can't pay the rent, or bringing on some items/eggs for good old USD so that he can keep his home, I know what I'd do in his position, and all the screaming and yelling that would ensue be damned. In that situation, personally, I wouldn't be in the streets for anybody. Would you?

I don't care if the site stays free. I'm fine with it how it is. But if it ever in this life comes down to the wire and TJ is in trouble and needs money, bring on the stuff for USD.

I don't mind the idea of 'paid perks' at all.  I pay real money to play every single game I play except this one. 

This site is already a lot of work...work TJ doesn't get a single cent for from us.  Imo, adding in some 'pay to get' things...like the skins someone mentioned...doesn't seem like it would be all that hard for TJ to do.  Maybe he could add new skins once or twice a year.  Same with any other pay options.  I don't see this as causing any problems with the site overall. 

Anyway, all that debate aside, it's not all about us.  TJ said it himself.  This is his only source of income.  Maybe that will change later, maybe it won't.  The bottom line is it's a tough world out there.  If the man finds that he's struggling for whatever reason and is in dire straits financially and needs more money to live and eat and survive, he'd be a damn fool not to take advantage of an option that's right at his fingertips, and that's the option to offer up things to those people that can...and will...pay for them.  If it comes to the nitty gritty, and if it ever comes down to a choice between keeping this site totally free and possibly losing his home because he can't pay the rent, or bringing on some items/eggs for good old USD so that he can keep his home, I know what I'd do in his position, and all the screaming and yelling that would ensue be damned.  In that situation, personally, I wouldn't be in the streets for anybody.  Would you? 

I don't care if the site stays free.  I'm fine with it how it is.  But if it ever in this life comes down to the wire and TJ is in trouble and needs money, bring on the stuff for USD.

But also remember that running DC is darn good experience he can put down on a resume for a job to help keep a larger, more commercial, site running if it comes down to needing money.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

But also remember that running DC is darn good experience he can put down on a resume for a job to help keep a larger, more commercial, site running if it comes down to needing money

Of course, you're totally right about that. My only point is that if for whatever reason, say TJ looks for a good paying job and can't find one, which isn't unheard of in this world right now, he has an option here at DC to get him the income he needs to survive until he can land that dream job. My point is based on a worse case scenario. I wouldn't expect anything to change here unless and until there were no other options for TJ.

I play another game. It's a certain amount of USD every month to play. The site is privately owned by a couple in their mid twenties. Someone did the math based on the number of active accounts on the site and there are thousands of them, just like there are thousands of people here. This couple is pulling in close to half a mil a year from that game. I've often wondered why TJ isn't doing the same thing. But that's neither here nor there, he has made this site free, and I'm sure it will stay that way. All I'm saying is that if push comes to shove, TJ does have the option right here to make good money if it's needed, and if he's ever in danger of losing his home or something like that, we shouldn't begrudge him the option to make money here.

But how much of the userbase would he instantly loose if he did that? I've been here since '07, but I'd seriously consider abandoning all that if I suddenly had to pay to play. I don't have a job, I literally have a $20 a month income from my parents. There are tons of users who are young enough that they would never be able to get their parents to pay money to allow them to collect pixel dragons, and there are other users who are adults but barely make enough money to scrape by. In the suggestions thread for the ad-free subscription there were tons of people saying that they couldn't afford $5 a month.

Plus, if it was a pay site I could easily imagine the artists demanding a cut from it, and that makes things even more complex.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

But how much of the userbase would he instantly loose if he did that? I've been here since '07, but I'd seriously consider abandoning all that if I suddenly had to pay to play. I don't have a job, I literally have a $20 a month income from my parents. There are tons of users who are young enough that they would never be able to get their parents to pay money to allow them to collect pixel dragons, and there are other users who are adults but barely make enough money to scrape by. In the suggestions thread for the ad-free subscription there were tons of people saying that they couldn't afford $5 a month.

Plus, if it was a pay site I could easily imagine the artists demanding a cut from it, and that makes things even more complex.

This. I chip in when I can, but if I had to pay to play all the time, even when I'm broke - I too would consider dropping out. As for my grandson - he's only 12... he wouldn't have a chance ! We have a lot of young players here.