TJ09

2012-09-18 - Minor Updates

Great updates, thank you TJ. I will go ad-free at the end of next week, awesome news. biggrin.gif

Thank you for the update, TJ.

I love the ad-free thing *Wanders off to do it for a year*

Wonderful! (Aww. The moldy cheese was remove to make the ToU more official and stuff. rolleyes.gif)

DC Subscription availability cleverly implemented without adding paid perks, description counter, and DC hopefully becoming an official full-time job. That's incredible. Mostly talking about the last one. Hope it works out, TJ!

And the pay to remove ads thing. Have to say it more. Brilliant, as usual. I did leave a site I loved because it added a paid perk, then quickly spiraled down to "If you don't pay, don't bother to play." Kind of discouraging. But with it being 100% optional and purely for the support of you and the site, it doesn't come off as a demand.

I am subscribed and I lubs it happy.gif

For those of you short on cash in the US, consider that donating plasma can get you a few dollars and save someone's life.

Where the heck are you donating? I've been to Red Cross and a smaller, more local place near college, and neither gives money for donating. They had signs that specifically said donations, of any form, were strictly volunteer and the donator would receive no compensation. Personally, I've only ever donated whole blood, but that's because I usually donate through the group that visits college, and you have to tell them if you wish to donate more than whole blood because it requires them to bring extra equipment with them, and very few people at the college plan ahead enough to bother contacting the group to give notice.

Also, thanks for letting us know about the changes. Though like others I really liked the moldy cheese bit lol.

I'm one of those people who are too poor to pay (even though the pricing is very fair), so if DC became a perk site where Those Who Can Afford got special dragons and things like that, I would quit at once. I already have a hard time getting some of the dragons I want because apparently I have nothing worthy of trading.

Paying to remove ads seems like perk enough to me; I wish I could afford it. I find the gaming ads the most annoying. They almost always have some stupid innuendo and/or some half-dressed female character, and I find that sexist and insulting. Note to self: spend some time seeing what I can opt out of.

Looks good.

My only real iffy opinion is that it doesn't seem logical to ask people to do a subscription and not really give them any perks. I know, people of the site are against paid perks, but coming from a psychological stand point, people are not very likely to give money on a regular basis to something they get nothing from in return.

Granted, there's also a group of people who will do the ad free subscription, as seen by the people who have participated in the beta testing of it. But when it comes down to it, people need a reason to not click the "cancel subscription" button when times get rough.

Adding a few perks, which don't even need to be large for paying members would not make it any less free for people who opted not to subscribe. It could be little things like on dA.

For example:

No ads (which is already implimented)

Custom Skins

Changing username

Other options given in the suggestion area

Again, nothing huge. No special dragons. No faster browsing. Just more things that will make people more likely to hit the subscribe button.

I fully agree with you. Extra perks like that will induce more folks to sign up, but not give any sort of advantage in playing the game itself.

A selection of different skins would be something that would appeal to a lot of people and allow greater customisation, while getting TJ more of the income he needs and deserves.

Edited by Dubious

All the updates look good! But as [probably] said before, I enjoyed the mouldy cheese bit tongue.gif

[Just saying, you can still get AdBlock for those of you who are unable to pay. Not saying this is a full alternative; if you're happy paying then that's fine smile.gif It would be better if you paid though.]

Hmm... I guess TJ09 ran out of mouldy cheese to use for pelting?

Edited by cfmtfm

For those who can't afford a subscription, that's fine. Nothing will change for you, and as mentioned earlier, those who have money aren't getting any sort of advantage over you.

This. I love this. My lack of cash is legendary, so I'm glad the you need money to enjoy the game issue is nonexistent in this game.

Hmm...although I loved the mouldy cheese clause, I guess having jokes in the T&C is kinda unprofessional.

Not going to remove ads (even though I got my first debit card this week - Squee!), but good luck, I hope it helps people keep safe and supports the site smile.gif

Like the description thing though, I'm guessing it doesn't count spaces as characters, as Word seems to count more characters on my description then the site counter did smile.gif

I hope the Leetle Trees get a description back soon, their page seems so lonely sad.gif

Thanks for the updates.

Character count on the description page is very much appreciated. Might eventually get back into the swing of things later. ^^

I'm actually kinda surprised that DC is TJ's primary source of income though, tbh. DC must generate quite a bit of money if it's not a secondary source. That, or TJ does unpredictable freelance work or something. I always assumed it would be secondary. xP

I'll probably poke my head around the No-Ads thing once I pull myself out of this financial rut I've gotten myself into. /sigh

I am definitely the most thrilled about the ToS change - more specifically, the fact that you'll make a post about it to draw attention to the change. It handles all the people who claim ignorance of the ToS, eliminates the possibility of people getting banned by accident, and I don't have to check the ToS every week to stay on the site's good side |D

My only complaint is that you removed the cheese... but it does make the ToS sound serious :3

sad.gif

aww you removed the pelted by cheese thing...

Thanks for keeping it short though! ( DC's Terms and Conditions is one of the few terms and conditions I've ever actually read xd.png)

Not really going to use these, but it's still an update! Thanks for the updates!

Uhhh I did lol. The perk is having no ads while at the same time supporting the site. Before the only way to avoid the ads was to use ad-blocker, which hurts the site. I don't think you can say not having any ads isn't really a perk. I dunno, no ads seems like a huge perk to me, especially since I detest ads but I also want to support the site.

I don't think I'd like any other perks. I'd hate for DC to be one of those other sites where only paying members get to have any cool options.

I agree with this. I have a love/hate relationship with Google, so while I don't necessarily mind ads, in and of themselves, I don't like Google trying to determine what I want to see. So not having the ads is perk enough for me. I've donated in the past to try to compensate, but I admit that I've been horribly inconsistant with remembering, so the subscription thing is a double bonus.

Besides, as far as how easy it would be to cancel without perks as an insentive, if I was broke enough that the money made that much of a difference I'd cancel despite getting a non-game play perk.

Although I have said, in the past, that I wouldn't mind if there were forum subscriptions that could be paid for that had something such as larger PM box sizes or the like - which is very standard for many, many forums and would help support the site with no connection to gameplay. And don't have a cow and jump all over me, people, I know it's not a popular idea. lol xd.png

A little question, though it may be just me being paranoid.

When I hunt in the cave, I use firefox, and in Options I turn off Images and Javascript. That makes the page load sometimes 3 times faster, so I have a better chance of getting the eggs I want. Thing is, I think other browsers don't have that option. Does it count like cheating or is it allowed? I know everyone could download firefox and do that, but I want to be sure 'cause I don't want my scroll deleted.

A little question, though it may be just me being paranoid.

When I hunt in the cave, I use firefox, and in Options I turn off Images and Javascript. That makes the page load sometimes 3 times faster, so I have a better chance of getting the eggs I want. Thing is, I think other browsers don't have that option. Does it count like cheating or is it allowed? I know everyone could download firefox and do that, but I want to be sure 'cause I don't want my scroll deleted.

I think it might be allowed - I used it for the last release, except on Opera.

Actually, if you use google chrome, download adblock.

Bamn!

No ads!

Except for that it takes away a large portion of the revenue which allows DC to stay free. While we are not disallowing ad-block, we are offering a happy medium for people who don't want ads but want to contribute that back to the site. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Except for that takes away a large portion of the avenue which allows DC to stay free. While we are not disallowing ad-block, we are offering a happy medium for people who don't want ads but want to contribute that back to the site. :3

Hi, Socks...

did you mean to say "...takes away a large portion of the revenue which allows DC to stay free..."

That I can understand...

Edited by Husky51