TJ09

2012-09-18 - Minor Updates

Description Length Bars

user posted image

A bar has been added to the describe page. This bar will show you how many characters are left until you hit the limit (there's also a number to see the exact amount).

Terms and Conditions Update

The site terms have been updated. The changes are primarily clarity edits, with some sections being merged or rearranged to be easier to understand. One functional change is the requirement that all ToS changes be announced on the forums. The new terms are effective immediately; the full text of the agreement (with changes highlighted) is below:

By creating an account on this site, you agree to the following terms:

Availability

While the site will be available as much as possible, Dragon Cave's availability cannot be guaranteed, and Dragon Cave will can not be held liable for consequences of any outages that may occur.

Inactivity

If you are not active on the site, your dragons will not be taken away. However, dead dragons will be removed several weeks after death if they have not received any views for a set period. In addition, dragons may have their names removed after several weeks of inactivity in order to free up names for active users. In addition, users that have no dragons may have their accounts disabled after 30 days of inactivity.

Multiple Accounts

By signing up, you agree that you will only create one (1) account. You also agree that you will not falsify information when creating accounts for any reason.

Privacy

We agree that we will not share any of the information associated with your account such as your username, password, IP address, and e-mail address, with any third party for any reason without your prior consent, unless required by law.

Dragon Cave collects and stores the following information from users:

• Username

• Password (stored in encrypted form)

• E-Mail Address

• IP Address

This information will never be shared with any third party for any reason without your prior consent, unless required by law.

In addition, browser statistics (such as screen size, browser version) and browsing habits may be collected by Google Analytics. This information is stored anonymously and will not be shared with any third party for any reason without your prior consent, unless required by law.

In order to display targeted advertising, Google may collect information about your browsing habits. If you wish to opt-out or change your Google AdSense preferences, click here.

Usage

Any usage of the site that is not in accordance with the rules of other sites that images are posted on is prohibited. You agree that you will not use the site Dragon Cave images in a way that violates the rules of any other site.

Art Usage

All art and text used on the site is used with the permission of the artist(s) that created it. If you wish to use this art for any purpose, please contact those artists.

Interactions with other users

All interactions with other users must be willful. Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited.

Cheating

You agree that you will not attempt to "cheat" or bypass any site restrictions in any way. Any attempts to force users to click your eggs, hatchlings, or dragons without their consent, as well as abuse of any bugs or glitches in the site's code are prohibited and considered "cheating."

You agree that you will not attempt to "cheat" or bypass any site restrictions in any way. Cheating includes, but is not limited to:

• Attempts to force or trick users to click your eggs, hatchlings, or dragons without their consent

• Abuse of any bugs or glitches in the site's code.

• Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users.

"Buying" Eggs/Hatchlings/Dragons

There are no official means through which eggs, hatchlings, or dragons can be bought, whether from the site or from other users. Exchanging any sort of currency, real or virtual, for eggs, hatchlings, or dragons is expressly forbidden.

Cheese

You agree that if you accept this agreement without actually reading it, you may be pelted with moldy cheese at any moment.†

Page Modification

Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users is forbidden.

Reverse Engineering

Users of the site agree not to reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any processes or formulas used by the site's internal calculations., you can see the differences below

Google

Google is requiring us to notify users that they may attempt to track your interests via cookies in order to display targeted advertising. If you wish to opt-out or change your Google AdSense preferences, click here.

Changes

The terms of this agreement may be modified at any time without prior or subsequent warning. All changes will be announced via the Dragon Cave Forum. Users will not be individually notified.

†You will not actually be pelted with moldy cheese. Or will you?

Advertisement Removal Subscriptions - http://dragcave.net/account/adfree

This new feature, met mostly with positive responses when suggested on the forums, is now available from your account page. From the new page, you can purchase advertisement removal in one month (or one year) increments. For convenience, there are also subscriptions that renew automatically every month.

The reasoning behind this addition is that DC is my sole source of income, and I'd like for it to become my full time job, allowing me to put significantly more time into the site. Ad subscriptions do not have a functional effect on gameplay (I have done extensive testing on the timing of page loads; ads add to the overall download time but not the time necessary for a browser to display a biome or the abandoned eggs section), which I considered to be a high priority when it comes to monetizing DC (you all have made it very clear that you don't want "paid perks")

For those who can't afford a subscription, that's fine. Nothing will change for you, and as mentioned earlier, those who have money aren't getting any sort of advantage over you.

Yay, thanks for letting us know, TJ!

And look, page 1.

Took me a while to find the Ad Removal Subscriptions. I'll start next month, definitely. smile.gif

Hmmm, reading through the subscription policies, I wonder...

In the event of a chargeback on a transaction (effectively claiming that you did not receive what you paid for) will result in an immediate and permament account ban[...]

Does account ban mean a burnt scroll, or that the account in question is banned from subscribe to Ad Removal?

Edited by olympe

Yaaaayyy the ad-thing went through! I'm so glad. I think it's such a great idea.

I wish the moldy cheese thing was still in the ToS though. That was funny.

Took me a while to find the Ad Removal Subscriptions. I'll start next month, definitely. smile.gif

Hmmm, reading through the subscription policies, I wonder...

Does account ban mean a burnt scroll, or that the account in question is banned from subscribe to Ad Removal?

If you call your credit card company and tell them you didn't receive anything even though you did (which is a fairly common way for people to try to scam sites that "sell" online goods), your account will be banned from the site.

Thank you TJ! smile.gif

I just wonder if there is going to be any other way than paypal to subscribe/pay for the new service.

Thank you TJ! smile.gif

I just wonder if there is going to be any other way than paypal to subscribe/pay for the new service.

You don't need a paypal account to buy a subscription, only a debit/credit card.

Is there some other service for accepting payments that you'd like to see implemented in addition to Paypal?

You don't need a paypal account to buy a subscription, only a debit/credit card.

Is there some other service for accepting payments that you'd like to see implemented in addition to Paypal?

Thank you so much for answering my question!

As I see the page set up, the payment even with credit card will go over paypal, but maybe I am misunderstanding. What I would like to avoid is useing paypal as variouse consumer protection organisations in my area strongly advise to not use paypal for security reasons.

However a friend of mine just advised prepaide visa gift cards to avoid giving them my data - so I will look into that.

I am affraid I have not looked much into what alternative payment possibities there are for an internet page to do money transfers with, so I am not going to be much help just now.

A quick question. Is AdBlock through Firefox/Waterfox considered cheating as defined by the ToS? I only use it because of getting two viruses almost back to back, back when I tried to never use AdBlock. And I know that it has nothing to do with DC, it's actually a Google problem, but I don't like to take chances even though I want to contribute financially. At the same time, I don't want to be considered a cheater sad.gif

Once I can afford it, I will definitely buy the No-Ad subscription thingie. I love the idea, and it's so cheap!

I just noticed the character counter. That's something I've wanted for a long time, thank you, TJ! smile.gif

A quick question. Is AdBlock through Firefox/Waterfox considered cheating as defined by the ToS? I only use it because of getting two viruses almost back to back, back when I tried to never use AdBlock. And I know that it has nothing to do with DC, it's actually a Google problem, but I don't like to take chances even though I want to contribute financially. At the same time, I don't want to be considered a cheater sad.gif

Once I can afford it, I will definitely buy the No-Ad subscription thingie. I love the idea, and it's so cheap!

Definitely not cheating. :3

Wee, updates!

If you call your credit card company and tell them you didn't receive anything even though you did (which is a fairly common way for people to try to scam sites that "sell" online goods), your account will be banned from the site.

Ah, I see. Didn't know that. Never done that. user posted image

(Which reminds me, we need an angel and devil emoticon...)

Nice, thanks for the heads up TJ.

Though I still think the "mouldy cheese" part should've stayed in the ToS xd.png

Thanks for the character counter. It will really make things easier. And why'd you take the cheese part out of the rules? That was awesome. *pouts*