olympe

Cave: Put new eggs where the last was taken

After once again taking a common to make room for a new egg, seeing a rare pop up just there and not getting it - twice! - I had another idea.

We often get the situation that there are three blockers in a biome, often three blockers with the same description. If one player takes an egg, the new egg will turn up in the rightmost spot, where everybody has their mouse pointers hovering.

Why not put the new egg where the last was taken? So, if I took the leftmost egg, the new egg would turn up on the left spot.

Pro:

- Would give the person who takes a blocker a slight (!) advantage over other players for grabbing the next egg because they know where the new egg will turn up. Might lead to people grabbing more blockers.

Con:

- Fast clickers might not like this?

I'd like to see them come up in random spots, myself. It does annoy me that they (almost) always come up as the third.

IF mossy eggs has any chance I'd prefer it to stay how it is since it would allow people to take eggs but still have two going towards moss growth, otherwise I'm neutral.

I like this idea. A lot. I've been trying to get that CB Silver oh so many times but of course it's already in the third slot and everyone on the page clicks on it at once

sad.gif

I EXTREMELY support this idea.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it would make it less easy for those with fast computers to hover over the rightmost egg and snipe the slot when a rare egg pops up.

At the same time it would hinder my ability to get new release eggs or heck, even rarer to obtain eggs after the release. Even when I used the strategy I still barely managed to get the Blusangs I have! That was after clicking at least 200 eggs, and if it weren't for the fact that the new egg almost always ends up in that spot, I'd still be praying to somehow come across a gold dragon.

I like it the way it is. My reflexes are horrible, it's hard enough to catch an egg when my cursor's already right on top of it. If I had to jump around to catch eggs, I'd never catch them.

I like it the way it is. My reflexes are horrible, it's hard enough to catch an egg when my cursor's already right on top of it. If I had to jump around to catch eggs, I'd never catch them.

But that would also apply to everyone else hunting. It slows everyone down a little bit and also means the first and second blockers of the hour don't sit there for... the whole hour.

I support. It's already a viable strategy to click-F5-click (which gives you a perfectly legitimate edge just like turning off images or using your browser hotkeys) and this makes cave hunting less monotonous.

I think I support this idea. The number of times in the past I had cleared out blockers looking for specific eggs only to have them snatched the moment they appeared (mind you, I was doing the click-F5 thing) was frustrating.

I don't think it will affect new releases that much. If eggs show up where the last one was taken, and new releases always show up in the third slot at the new drop, you'll essentially be clicking on the third spot anyway, like usual. I actually don't understand how "slow" I am. I click on an egg the moment I see the page load and I still miss it. To this date, I still haven't caught a blusang in the cave myself. :\

Fast clickers shouldn't be too bothered either. If they were paying attention, it would be pretty obvious which slot was being targeted and they could easily readjust their ninja-scavenge-clicking.

But that would also apply to everyone else hunting. It slows everyone down a little bit and also means the first and second blockers of the hour don't sit there for... the whole hour.

But it slows some people down more than others. There are plenty of people who can see an egg, zap their cursor right onto the egg and click. Sure, it takes them an instant longer than just clicking on the egg that drops under their cursor -- but my aim totally sucks. I end up clicking all around the egg for three or four clicks before I finally get it landed on egg. By then, it's long gone. So this change would be a *huge* disadvantage for me.

IF mossy eggs are not implemented, then I do want to see this happen. biggrin.gif

Eh. In middle ground here.

I have tried that, and I have gotten the eggs I wanted each time.

And that was on average, poor slow internet.

However, it was rather late..

It might be more interesting to have eggs pop up in random places.

No support from me... I'm in the camp with slow reflexes and terrible aim; on top of that, I'm using a touchpad, so I get twice as many misclicks if I'm trying to watch multiple spots instead of just lurking in one (because it can register as a click when I'm just trying to move the cursor).

Even if you're hovering over only one spot, you have a 33% chance that that's the spot where the new egg turns up. Also, you can play a bit of lotto, too. If there are two stones and one purple dragon in the desert, which one do you think gets taken?

Olympe, are you responding to me? If so:

It still leaves me with less chance of getting an egg than I have now, between this suggestion and the issues I mentioned before. Why would I want to reduce my chance of being in the right spot at all, especially like thist? It kind of reminds me of the AP (which I often don't go to unless I'm just leisurely picking commons up to peek at lineages / reduce their time before throwing them back later) but with word-recognition and a five-hour penalty. :\ Under the current system, I at least know I have a decent chance; I can think of exactly one time I've ever gotten a nice non-blocker egg from the cave without having been hovering and at the ready the moment it showed up, and that's with only having to worry about my reflexes and connection.

I'm aware I'm likely in the minority with this, but that doesn't mean I don't understand the suggestion. :\

Same here. I have no desire to reduce my already low chances of getting an egg from the cave by 2/3.

If the point of this is to make it easier to grab the rare that shows up under the cave-blocker you just grabbed to keep the cave moving, why not just grab the blocker on the right? Seems you already have a perfectly good way of putting yourself in position to catch the next egg, without changing the way the cave works.

This is really a fundamental change to the skill set required to catch eggs in the cave. Right now, it's "Refresh - Recognize egg - Click." It would become "Refresh - Recognize egg and location - Move cursor - Click," which is what we have now in the AP and, like god_matter, I have a much harder time in the AP and rarely catch anything unless something just happens to drop right under my cursor.

I really don't see any good reason to make such a change. It would advantage those who are fast and accurate and already really good cave catchers, and disadvantage those who are inaccurate and slow and already have a hard enough time.

But this gives you control. If you don't want to worry about moving your cursor... don't move it? Trigger the egg change yourself. You get less competition when everyone's guessing and, as with the click-F5-click method, you have the edge in that you know exactly which egg will change and when, something that catches everyone else in the biome off-guard. Even people with fast reflexes will often overshoot their mark when they're excited.

If you don't want to keep the blocker you pick up then give it to someone else, bite, or drop it. That's the consequence of this style of play. I keep mine because with hatcheries, it's less work for me to just drop them into the clicksites along with everything else I pick up.

Edited by Lythiaren

But this gives you control. If you don't want to worry about moving your cursor... don't move it? Trigger the egg change yourself. You get less competition when everyone's guessing and, as with the click-F5-click method, you have the edge in that you know exactly which egg will change and when, something that catches everyone else in the biome off-guard. Even people with fast reflexes will often overshoot their mark when they're excited.

If you don't want to keep the blocker you pick up then give it to someone else, bite, or drop it. That's the consequence of this style of play. I keep mine because with hatcheries, it's less work for me to just drop them into the clicksites along with everything else I pick up.

This is all well and good if you have more than one egg slot to fill, but I am often just looking for something nice to fill my last slot. So, when I am that sort of hunter, this suggestion would put me at a disadvantage.

But then I do sometimes hunt with several egg slots open and try to grab a blocker and hope there is a rare right behind it. I can see how this suggestion might be good in that situation.

So I guess I am really on the fence about this.

I am strongly against this idea. This would cause chaos, IMO, especially in events such as holidays. It would be impossible to tell which eggs were taken when one breed is flooding a biome (Besides hovering the mouse over all the eggs, which will be taken by the time you do that), and hunting would be a hassle.

I don't think it would change holidays much. After all, when you refresh and click, the egg is there or it isn't. New releases it would change, maybe a little.

What hasn't been discussed is how this relates to AP blocking as a strategy. When Blusangs got released, I discovered quickly that I'm good at clicking that third egg. Not so much when there are multiple rares, but for a single type, I can get them about 1/10 of the time. But, what helps me is that the eggs move fast during the hourly egg drop. So, I have enough dragons now that I can breed eggs specifically to block the cave. By keeping it blocked, I can force the mad rush on the hour, which helps me catch the eggs I want. I can't keep it that way for long, but I can certainly contribute to it.

I think by being able to pick which slot goes, I'd do this less. But it's hard to say without seeing it in practice. I can say that it throws me off when the other two eggs go, because I find it distracting. It's much easier for me to snatch when I only focus on that one spot.

Holidays are full time nothing but drops anyway - so that really isn't an issue.

If the point of this is to make it easier to grab the rare that shows up under the cave-blocker you just grabbed to keep the cave moving, why not just grab the blocker on the right? Seems you already have a perfectly good way of putting yourself in position to catch the next egg, without changing the way the cave works.

Doesn't work, I've tried it so often, and not even once with success. Why? Because if I move the right egg to my scroll, someone else who's only been hovering there is always faster than me. However, if I could move the left or middle egg and the new one would show up just there, then I'd have three times the chance to get the following egg than now. But I guess it's more important to reward those with the better reflexes than those clearing the cave for everyone. sad.gif

I am strongly against this idea. This would cause chaos, IMO, especially in events such as holidays. It would be impossible to tell which eggs were taken when one breed is flooding a biome (Besides hovering the mouse over all the eggs, which will be taken by the time you do that), and hunting would be a hassle.

I think the opposite is true. Right now, everybody hovers over the right spot because the other eggs are older and probably already clicked. However, if the new eggs turn up where the last one left, you'd have three times the chance to grab one with each refresh because people would hover over all three spots at once. Besides, you can't really tell which egg is taken the way it is now, but people usually refresh, click and repeat that ad infinitum anyway.

Doesn't work, I've tried it so often, and not even once with success. Why? Because if I move the right egg to my scroll, someone else who's only been hovering there is always faster than me. However, if I could move the left or middle egg and the new one would show up just there, then I'd have three times the chance to get the following egg than now. But I guess it's more important to reward those with the better reflexes than those clearing the cave for everyone. sad.gif

But the change you're suggesting would reward the people with the quickest reflexes much more than it would help people who take blockers.

For one thing, the chances of picking up a rare under the blocker you just clicked are pretty small. Most of the time, all you'll uncover is another blocker. Do that a few times and you'll be locked with eggs you don't want and have to wait five hours to hunt again. Not a very efficient strategy for everyday hunting.

Meanwhile, the people with quick reflexes will be snapping up the rares that do show up in all three spots. If the newest egg no longer appears on the right, and there are people hovering over all three eggs, there's just as likely to be some super-quick ninja grabbing the egg out from under your click in the other spots, too.

And those of us who don't have super-quick reflexes but just like to hunt for the eggs we want to keep have even less chance than we did before to catch rare or uncommon eggs.

Also, just because I only hunt for eggs I want to keep doesn't mean I have less right to be "rewarded" than someone who picks up eggs they don't want in the hopes that something better will be underneath. Sometimes the egg I want is an easy-to-grab common. When I want one, I go catch one and then I'm done.

But there would still be one third of the people clicking for the egg as there are now. That's a lot fewer people to be competing against if you do uncover a rare egg, because everyone who is hovering over the other spots can't get there in time to compete for it.

Right now if you take the blocker in the one spot where the new eggs can appear you have all of the people who are hunting going after the rare you uncover.

With this suggestion two thirds of those people are hovering over other slots and are out of the competition completely. It suddenly puts the person who took the blocker at a rather strong advantage, at least compared to the situation now.