KuukiKiller

ANSWERED:Inbreeding warning

So, you go to your cave, see a bunch of dragons that are the same breed, and think:''Hey, i would like another dragon like this '' and you breed 2 dragons and get a egg. You look at it's lineage and what do you see? Grandpa of this eggy is also it's father. Oops!

But why not a little warning before you breed?

Breeding these two dragons will produce a inbred egg.

Then you'll know that breeding these dragons will cause a inbred egg. biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind this but it kind of discourages inbreeding to newbies and other members, I actually like inbreeding and enjoy things like PB EG/Spiral/Stairstep Inbred projects.

Also before I breed two dragons I make sure I like the lineages so I don't create a messy, I think everyone does that so its no biggy.

Do remember, some people inbreed on purpose. Infact I recall a huge lineage that is nothing but inbred whites.

Inbred is a human term and concept, many animals in the while can inbreed without even knowing about it (granted no father/daughter type but cusions and siblings can)

Agree with those who have posted before me. The main issue is that a message like that would cause people to feel that the sight itself is saying that inbreeding is wrong when that's not the case.

Agree with those who have posted before me. The main issue is that a message like that would cause people to feel that the sight itself is saying that inbreeding is wrong when that's not the case.

Show some of yours. Sir B ! They are classier than mine !

Also, at least a couple of fansites such as AoND have inbred checkers for those whose preference is to keep their lineages 'clean.' And it does boil down to how each person chooses to view their dragons and how personally they take the game.

Show some of yours. Sir B ! They are classier than mine !

LOL.

Well I guess I need to get back to work on this one. http://dragcave.net/lineage/7796O

and this one I think is complete. http://dragcave.net/lineage/v9idM

Also my stalled line that simply refuses to give me a white egg. http://dragcave.net/lineage/9Dsm ....always try to pick species that at least appear to share the similar ratios if you don't want to become frustrated. *nods*

Now I'm considering a Male Brimstone X Female Pillow inbred checker since it looks like the big bad thuggy Brimstone is being laughed at by his Pillow mate. LOL.

Edited by Sir Barton

LOL.

Well I guess I need to get back to work on this one. http://dragcave.net/lineage/7796O

and this one I think is complete. http://dragcave.net/lineage/v9idM

Now I'm considering a Male Brimstone X Female Pillow inbred checker since it looks like the big bad thuggy Brimstone is being laughed at by his Pillow mate. LOL.

Oh, I'm on pillows and balloons myself - but not in-bred... A thought !

I personally wouldn't mind the warning. I don't think it would discourage people from inbreeding, it just states that the egg will be inbred. It's a lot easier than checking lineages or finding an inbred checker every time you want to breed something.

Such a warning would be a serious annoyance for those who purposlly breeds inbreds.

I don' inbreed, but i hae a x26 inbred split and I'M HAPPY WITH HIM!

i think that this message would not be useful as you should be looking at lineages anyway before breeding depending on the situation

Such a warning would be a serious annoyance for those who purposlly breeds inbreds.

Too right xd.png

Perhaps it could be an optional thing in account settings, about whether or not you'd like to be warned first?

I know there are inbred checkers out there, but most of the time I don't even think to check and only find out they're producing an inbred when it's too late. >___<

I wouldn't mind a little note on the breeding pair list when you are choosing a mate.

Ex.

user posted imageGlowing Embers (Will cause inbreeding) Breed

Edited by Moonbeam22

I wouldn't mind a little note on the breeding pair list when you are choosing a mate.

Ex.

user posted imageGlowing Embers (Will cause inbreeding) Breed

Okay, then can we have a "Will not cause inbreeding" marker? Because if something like this has to be marked/noted/whatever, that's still a value judgement.

why does it matter if a dragon is inbred or not?

You think we'd have the different breeds of dogs we do today without linebreeding? (same goes for other animals too)

it's the only 100% full proof way to get pb's

Mhm. An account setting would probably be the best solution. I would wan't to know if I was inbreeding unless I was doing it on purpose.

Personally, I'd prefer a lineage preview that, if you click it, shows what the offspring's lineage with that mate would look like, with red boxes around any inbreeding.

@gjh-to-the-nth-power: It doesn't, as it is a personal preference. It just seems like an extraneous thing to be coding into the site when again, some of the fan sites (the click sites) offer the ability to go check for ourselves whether a dragon will be inbred or not, and we can do a little leg work on our own by checking the lineage link already offered on our very own dragons. Or we could offer to help TJ do some of the vast coding work necessary for all the stuff we're begging for.

Edit: ninja.gif'd by Tawanda's link to one of the very sites I was referring to.

Edited by blackdragon71

I have a suggestion that will (hopefully) alleviate some of the concerns.

Checking for inbreeding would be an option under account settings. It would read as thus.

Check For Inbreeding:

Alerts you when breeding two dragons together would produce inbreeding. Inbreeding has no negative impact on gameplay.

And I really don't think there would a problem with that. For two reasons.

1) People ALREADY sometimes visit the forums asking if inbreeding is bad, even when there's nothing on-site to suggest it's so. Thus adding in something that addresses inbreeding on-site, especially when it specifically says there are no negative impacts, shouldn't really change the amount of concerned users chiming in.

2) Anyone who has played around with a few hatchery sites (and, if I may be so bold, the majority of us DO use hatchery sites) has likely already come across an inbreeding checker. If those haven't sufficiently alarmed people to create more inbreeding-related help questions, then I don't think anything on-site will, either.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I have a suggestion that will (hopefully) alleviate some of the concerns.

Checking for inbreeding would be an option under account settings. It would read as thus.

Check For Inbreeding:

Alerts you when breeding two dragons together would produce inbreeding. Inbreeding has no negative impact on gameplay.

And I really don't think there would a problem with that. For two reasons.

1) People ALREADY sometimes visit the forums asking if inbreeding is bad, even when there's nothing on-site to suggest it's so. Thus adding in something that addresses inbreeding on-site, especially when it specifically says there are no negative impacts, shouldn't really change the amount of concerned users chiming in.

2) Anyone who has played around with a few hatchery sites (and, if I may be so bold, the majority of us DO use hatchery sites) has likely already come across an inbreeding checker. If those haven't sufficiently alarmed people to create more inbreeding-related help questions, then I don't think anything on-site will, either.

ONLY if there is one saying

Check for breeding: alerts you what the two dragons will NOT be inbred.

Because anything that is an ALERT is a suggestion that something is Not OK.

Anyone who cares CAN CHECK. Anyone who has come here to ask will get a variety of answers, but the basic one is that it doesn't matter.has no negative connotations in the game; inbreeding or not is ONLY A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

A link that offers to show you the proposed lineage is one thing. You get to make a decision based on what you see. Anything that suggests any kind of WARNING is needed is quite another.