TwilightMoonDragon

Shadows: Whisper | Assassin's Creed

"Listen, Castiel, I want you to think long and hard about this. Do you honestly want to cross me? Because I don't switch sides all willy nilly. I need reasons, insurance, confidence in the movement I'm supporting. And I know this document is a fake. Ceto isn't siding with the Templars. There's no way. She's not the best captain and I would support you if you gave me the proper treatment and respect, but it's not looking up for you. If you can't even tell me the truth, I'm sorry, but I just can't join you." Taking a few steps to chip off a stuck-on piece of grime on a cannon, she kept going. "You take me for a fool because I'm a woman, right? That's what everybody says. I wasn't educated, I can barely read and my writing is piteous at best. I was a slave to the men aboard the ship for about ten years. So I can't possibly be smart, right? That's what they say. But I would have never thought you would be one of them. Surely you know that I do have a fair amount of influence and that I'm not a proper, reserved lady like Theresa is. I will serve and kill without mercy. But your job - your only job - to get me on your side is to offer enough respect. That is all."

Roberts

The old pirate had caught wind of the mutiny by Poppy. He'd told her he would work for her if he was paid properly and more than Ceto had agreed to pay him, but never promised or gave his word. No. He wouldn't help them overthrow the captain. He quite liked her. Theresa as well. When he was safe, poppy having left him half an hour before, he sought out Theresa. He walked to her cabin and knocked. He couldn't help but chuckle at the cabins. They were so damn small. "Theresa. We need to chat. Let me in, huh?" He spoke softly and quickly. "It's a tad important." He was not one for snitching, but he was also not for wrongful mutinies. He'd have to talk to Ceto if they pulled out of this. She cared, he knew, but her pr skills were lacking. Good thing Theresa was improving on them.

Theresa

Theresa was hunched over her writing desk, scribbling out another letter to her brother. Lately she'd had to write more frequently, due to the apparent fact he was knee-deep in the bottle again. She'd almost finished when a knock at her door was heard. She sighed and set down her quill. "Just a moment," she said, opening her door. It was Roberts, which was strange because he didn't really come to visit her. It was strange just because of his tone of voice. He sounded serious. "What did you need? Is there something happening?" she didn't let the feeling of dread show on her face. She didn't acknowledge the way her stomach was dropping. Was Ceto dead? Were they about to be captured? She had to face it down without fear. She was the first mate, and she had to be in control of her emotions and never let her crew fear anything because it was her job to remain calm.

Roberts

He smirked when Theresa opened the door. "Always on point, huh?" He pushed her shoulder softly as he stepped in and shut the door. "Yeah. Something's happening." He took the liberty of sitting on the side of her bed before he continued, "I was just offered a substantial amount of money if I assisted in mutinying." Roberts let that sink in a moment. "I caught wind from Poppy. Now, I don't know if she's behind it or just a lackey, but it's something of a problem if it becomes anything. The crew is looking to overthrow you and Ceto." They'd both be in danger if it happened, along with anyone who might stand with them. He was afraid things like this might happen. That's some of the reason he wanted Theresa to get out there with the crew. But it was also so he'd see her now and again. He liked her company.

Theresa

She took a moment to digest the information. "Why? Usually they're much more careful with their plans. Why are they mutinying?" was there a reason? There had to be a reason, because she knew Ceto. They couldn't just win over a bunch of people without a decent reason. She'd heard about some kind of Templar document filtering around the ship via Poppy and Castiel, but hadn't seen it. This couldn't have anything to do with the mutiny. Yet she knew to put two and two together. She felt her fist ball up at the idea of them accusing Ceto of being a traitor. At the same time... she'd owe loyalty to the Assassins first and root her out. It was expected of her to do so. She was always expected to do something in some way, but she knew she couldn't back down. She kept her back to Roberts as she shut her door gently, as though she was going to break it if she shut it any faster. "... does it have anything to do with that Templar document that people are saying Ceto signed?"

Roberts

"Yeah, It seems to." Roberts said. "Poppy had tried to tell me about it. It didn't exactly sell me. Even if it is real, I don't have any reason to care. I'm no assassin, and Ceto's the one who pays me. I let Poppy think I was on board with this mutiny, for the money, though." It had said that he would get the an eighth of the treasure in the hold for this. If he wanted it he would've taken it by now.

((lunch))

Edited by Dusset

Theresa

She ran her hand through her hair. She pulled at it as if doing to would make her inner turmoil stop. When that didn't work, she paced. Her feet slapped the ship, as though it too, would somehow bring her inner turmoil to a resolution. This didn't work, so she did the only thing that brought relief to her stress. She vented her frustration. She went to her desk first, grabbing her ink bottle and tossing it just above Robert's head. She didn't see if it actually missed or not. " censorkip.gif it, how did they find that paper," she growled at the desk. When it gave no answers she flipped the measly plank or wood that she called a desk over, tossing paper into the air where the various pieces of paper settled meekly to the floor, afraid of the raging storm that was Hurricane Theresa. "Why bring it to light?" she punched a wall, and it barely budged. She hit it again and again, until a splintering crack could be heard, the final scream of the one wall she shared with someone else. "Why... why would Ceto do this to us? I... I thought that she was trustworthy." she sat down and ran her hand through her hair, pulling at it. Finally, she addressed Roberts, her voice trying to mask pain behind words. "Roberts. Please tell no one about this. We don't need Ceto to know yet... I will find Poppy and Castiel later. I need... I need some time to my thoughts."

Edited by RainDash

Roberts managed to duck the ink. He slid to the side a moment to avoid drips. He watched Theresa rampage her room. Understandable, he supposed. But he was surprised by what she said. She was angry with Ceto? She asked to be alone but he had to say something, "Theresa. I don't know what's involved in your Brorherhood. I don't know what you promised in your Creed and I don't know why you hate the Templars so. But I know a few things about maritime loyalty. Ceto is a good captain. I intend to stand with her during this mutiny. Everything to do with leadership, she's done right. She isn't selfish with our loot and she isn't cruel to her crew. Do whatever you feel is right, but outside your order, there doesn't seem to be any reason to mutiny." He stood up and opened her door, stepped out and closed it behind him. Bah. Assassins. Too many convictions for a free man to have.

A few days later...

Ceto Sylvini

It was lonely without him around.

She missed his bright hair, his glowing blue eyes, and his radiant smile. His gentle words, his breath on her neck. But when the Creed called him to a mission, he bid her farewell and left. She stood there, heart aching for some ****ing stupid reason, as he waved goodbye and left. After her stupid aching heart, she suffered from horrible, horrible anxiety. She couldn't sleep. She couldn't eat. All she could think about was the aching in her desperate body as she day dreamed about his return.

She was laying on her back, hair untied and spread behind her, staring at the wooden ceiling as the Sista Viska thunked against the port of Rome. She wanted him like she wanted the ocean to herself.

Would she dare say that she loved him?

No. It couldn't be. Yet, her frigid heart melted at his presence, at his gentle, stroking touches and his gaze. Oh, God, she could see all of the oceans in his eyes, the crashing waves and the distant storms...

"Hrmm." she rolled to the side, feeling her cheeks grow red. Was he thinking as she was thinking of him? Or was he drinking and laughing while touching a woman on his lap?

"Cap'n Ceto, you've been there forever. You have to come out." a man- Castiel -called. "Come and get some fresh air. The ocean is beautiful."

And so she dressed and staggered out, her blue eyes squinting a bit as she shielded her face from the sun's rays. The man led her through a crowd of sailors that stood idling, and toward the railing. She rested her hands against the railing and looked out at the streets of Rome, for some reason, searching for the blond hair of Aero.

Poppy was alive and excited. Today was the day. They'd rallied their troops and all they had to do was spring the trap. She laughed and played cards with a few of the men before anything happened. Good times they were. Castiel knew his part. When she saw him head to the captain's quarters she knew it would be soon. Finishing her hand and dealing out so she could collect her winnings, she waited patiently. Their fearless captain and Castiel emerged. Ceto stood by the rails and Poppy decided to spring it. She strode over, like the cock of the walk, and pointed a pistol at her head, pulling back the firing arm to hear a click. "So, cap'n. How're ya' doin' this mighty fine day?" She adopted the pirate method of speech to enhance her position as an every-man. "'Cuz I'm doin' damn fine. Why, I think this is the best day I've had since I was a wee girl." She grinned. Raising her voice so that the whole crew heard, she said, "But I don't care much for scum! For sea dogs! For traitors! For women who deal with the Templars!". The crowd was rousing. "Traitors just ruin my day! And we can 'to be havin' that! Can we!? What should we do!?" The crew shouted back a few replies. At least, those ready to mutiny. "Oh I like that one! Hang her by her entrails and let her bleed! Creative! What do you say, Castiel? What do you think we should do?"

Ceto Sylvini

She heard a click behind her and the woman turned. She saw the whole crew riling up near them. The barrel of Poppy's gun was facing her, and the woman was yelling. The crew was yelling back. Ceto looked at Poppy and then at Castiel. What was this? "I don't know, Poppy. Stringing her up from her entrails is too good for her. How 'bout we impale her? Like the censorkip.gif* she is." the Frenchman glanced back at Ceto, and she felt herself tense.

"What are you talking about?! I'm no traitor!" she asked. They were threatening to murder her for no reason! What the hell did she do?!

"Don't play coy with me. With us. We know what you did." Castiel tossed her the paper. It drifted to the floor and she picked it up. It was a paper that she never saw before, but it had her signature on it. "You're a Templar. Asking for aid from that filth! And now... you're going to be disposed of, Ceto."

"Stop!" Garrett bounded out of the crowd, and stood next to Ceto. His face was twisted in confusion yet had a trace of fear and anger. "I thought she was going to be banished! I didn't know she was going to be killed!"[/i]

"So she could come back to haunt us? You're really as dull as you look." Castiel answered.

"If you want her, you're going to have to get through me."

"Fine. Poppy. Dispose of him." Castiel glanced at the woman, clasping his hands behind his back.

Poppy was excited about the whole thing until Garrett butted in. censorkip.gif. He had to go running his moth and get in the way, didn't he? Damn it! Castiel told her to dispose of him and she hesitated. But she complied. She aimed down and shot him in the knee. She didn't know if she'd done serious damage and she didn't want to. Someone tossed her another pistol which she promptly aimed back at Ceto, holstering her own. But then she heard a familiar voice. A pirate's voice. And she saw a tall mass striding towards them, eyes alit with fury but as black as a demon's. "The both of ya' are a disgrace 'ta 'ya own Creed. A disgrace 'ta any man with the balls to call himself a pirate." Oh God. She thought she's bought him out. He looked ready for war. Shooting him once wouldn't stop him from running her through, either. "Shut up, Roberts. This is an internal affair."

"It's external when you go pointin' a gun at m'cap'n." Roberts barked as he walked over to the women, not stupid enough to physically get in front of a loaded gun. "You've lost your way, girl. If you can't respect your leader how do you expect anyone to respect you?"

"You don't scare me you washed-up, old has-been." Poppy growled. She lied.

Edited by Dusset

Theresa

Quietly, while Roberts spoke, Theresa moved beside him. If he wouldn't move because of a bullet to the leg, then he'd move for a bullet to the head. She didn't have time to waste, if Ceto was indeed a traitor. "Roberts. Move or we'll all be dead. I won't let them just murder Ceto without cause, but we need to take command of the ship. I won't hesitate to take out anyone who disagrees." there was no quivering in her voice or hands, but she was still hurting from the idea that Ceto was Templar. She still remembered how they had so cruelly hung her Mentor. Drug up on a rope, then released twice, falling to the stage gasping for breath, until they opened the platform beneath him, breaking his neck and putting him on display.

[school.]

"No, Theresa." Roberts bit back. "And I'll gut you if I have to. Woman, stand down. This isn't right and you know it." With a quick flick of his wrist and some fingering, the rapier to his side was pointed up and behind him at Theresa. He now held it back-handed.

"Shut it, swine." Poppy said. "You, grab a rope. Bind her-"

Roberts swung his other rapier and knocked her pistol out of her hand, and with one swoop slashed her chest across diagonally twice. Poppy clutched at the slashes as she hit the deck. Samuel was well prepared to fight and he wasn't going to let this happen without one. He'd lunged forward to avoid Theresa if she pulled the trigger and holding both swords outstretched, stared her and Castiel down. "Make my day, lads. Give this old dog a fight he'll remember." Poppy was having trouble keeping pressure on the wounds, they formed an X, and she felt they were deep.

Castiel DuBois

God damn it! He had said dispose of the man! Not give him a boo boo! Castiel snarled when Garrett fell to one knee and hunched over his wound, groaning loudly. Blood had been spilled and already the crew was beginning to become aggressive. However, he did not expect the large oaf to step in. Even Castiel was disturbed by Roberts joining with Ceto. The man was a giant, and much more experienced than any of them. All of a sudden Poppy fell to the floor, blood seeping from her chest. Castiel immediately flinched. No. He couldn't risk any deaths on his side. "Medic!"

Robb and Ambra melted from the crowd and sank down near Poppy. Ambra had been crying, her eyes were swollen and red. She whispered urgently to Robb and he nodded. The young man took her into his arms and went below deck at a rapid pace. Ambra quickly followed.

"Crew! In the name of the Creed!" Castiel screamed. "Attack!"

And with that, he pulled out his war hammers and swung them at Roberts.

Roberts only had two hands. He lurched backwards to avoid the hammers and sheathed a rapier, replacing it with his machete. Taking a duelist pose, he moved to stab Castiel in the heart with the point and parried an oncoming attack from behind. He managed to kick a third man in the groin and he turned his parry into a kill. It was a simple transition to cut the third man, now hunched over, across the neck. But he was only one man, and had no eyes in the back of his head. He felt an arrow pierce his calf and figured the Irishman was on point. But he kept up his front against Castiel. "'ittle 'elp, lass? Fightin' for you 'ere." He said, speaking to Ceto. It had been a long time it seemed, since he'd wet his blades, and he was excited to continue, but some of these men were assassins and he couldn't fend them off alone. But he'd stand by his convictions. His word was his law, and he'd sold it to his captain. He would fight for her until he was certain it would end his life, in which case, he would redact his word and seek work elsewhere. He might have the loyalty of a hound, and he full-well expected it in return, but he wasn't stupid. Stupid was how good men died early. "Is that all you got, lads? I've seen better from a child!" Soon, he'd have to stand still to reduce bleeding, and after that he'd have lost too much blood to continue. It didn't feel like the arrow was meant to kill. Good thing the Irishman was a man of God.

Theresa

She fired, but only moments too late. Roberts moved, and Poppy was down. Wimp. "Don't you move, Ceto!" she turned on her captain, holstering her weapon quickly and extending on hidden blade while holding onto her real sword. "Please, just let this end, we'll have a trial and figure this out. I just… I won't put this crew at risk. Not with as many Pieces as we gathered. Please, this mutiny will be bloody and long. Just give up, no one can be that heartless."

[Night.]

Ceto Sylvini

A lot of things were happening at once. Ceto was still in shock, and she pressed against the railing, her fingers curling against the wooden material. Her eyes were wide and her mouth gaping. They were calling her traitor! And yet she didn't know what the hell she did! She smelled something fishy... her eyes flitted down to Garrett, who was groaning and cursing as he clutched at his knee. She bent down near him and rested a hand on his shoulder. When Theresa pointed out her blades, she staggered back. "So they can hang me? So they can kill me?! I don't think so, Theresa. I know that this isn't true. I was tricked. Can't you see? Do you think I'm a traitor?" she looked at the woman, her eyes meeting hers. She had to believe her. She had to! "You need to believe me, Tess. I have to go. We have to go!"

Theresa

"The last time we had evidence and ignored it was when my old captain's boat was taken over. There's too much risk, Ceto. I can't pretend to ignore the evidence! I can't pretend that you're not a Templar if there's something else to prove it. I know it's fishy, but we'll have time before we reach port so I can look at the document. Please, I don't want any more fighting." she meant every word she'd said. She didn't want to fight unless she had to, and at this rate it was growing increasingly dire. She didn't want to convict Ceto, but she did want her at the very least locked up until the document could be authenticated. It was Poppy who was in charge of the rebellion, so it couldn't completely check out. If Ceto was confused, there were only two possibilities. She was acting, or she was being honest. She felt her eyes sting with the pain that preceded tears, but blinked them away. She had to be brave, she had to be careful. If this wasn't dealt with then the Templars might know where all the Pieces they gathered were. She couldn't cause a catastrophe like that. She couldn't live with knowing that she had picked the wrong side and someone undeserving got hurt.

[My finger hurts OTL]

Ceto Sylvini

Damn it, she wasn't making this easy, now was she? Ceto's eyes burned with tears, a rare sight indeed, as she gazed at Theresa. She bit her lip, blood flowing into her mouth. Garrett groaned a bit more beside her before he stumbled to his feet and staggered away, brandishing a scimitar. "Tess." she began, her dark brows furrowing. "... you know that if I stand trial, I'll be killed anyway. They'll find a way. Do you really want that?" she raised her hand, flashing her lost finger. "I took the highest vow of an assassin. They usually brand fingers, but before they severed one. And I knew back then what I was, as I know what I am now." Ceto leapt onto the railing and looked over the men. "To those who stay loyal to the Brotherhood, and to me, retreat! We will not risk any fatalities!" Ceto called, and looked back at Theresa. "... They'll kill you too, Tess. I think you know that as well." with that, she gave her a crooked grin. "You're a smart woman. You can put two and two together. If... I don't see you again, just... just know that you were like a blood sister to me." with that, she saluted an assassin salute and took a step back. She fell into the water, and began to swim.

Roberts only had to fend off a small hand full of ballsy sailors. He dug the arrow out if his calf and turned to hear Ceto. He sheathed his weapons and ran towards the railing, vaulting it, spry as ever. He crashed into the water and stayed a moment, under, before surfacing and swimming after his captain. He might look like an old fool, the only one following a woman so blindly, one branded as a traitor, but he too, had been falsely accused, and rightfully accused, yet his men and women followed him years before. He would return their faith by his own in Ceto. But he needed to get out of the drink and tend his wound. It stung like Hell on Earth but he powered through. He felt the effects of age as he began to tire. The fight, however short, wore him out. Now he had to swim. And swimming work his whole body. He shoulder ached and his knee was sore. Why he couldn't stay young forever he never knew. Maybe he should spend his golden years seeking the fountain of youth. There were two new continents ripe with chance, he supposed.

Theresa

As Ceto spoke to her, one could almost see how much pain Theresa was in. A large part of her wanted to leap off the side with Ceto, jump into the water and swim away. She moved to the railing and leaned against it, watching her captain swim away from the ship. She gripped the railing until she was certain that her fingers were going to bleed. When she relaxed a little, she pulled off her glove, looking at the branded finger. She had a duty to the Creed first and foremost, but maybe she could figure out a way to prove Ceto's innocence. "Those of you who have sided with Ceto may disembark on the nearest port. No harm will come to you." her first order. She still held some command over this ship. "Quartermaster! Take the ship to the nearest port, and then we'll discuss the new hierarchy on this ship." she moved to Poppy, and drew her sword and let it hang at her side. "When you've been healed, tell me where the Templar document Ceto signed is. For your sake... it had better be real. Otherwise, I'll make sure that you'll wish you were dead." With that glare, Theresa disappeared below ship to her cabin. She changed into her well worn apprentice gear and put away all her weapons with cold indifference.

She then broke out into tears in the corner of her room, holding her knees close to chest as though that would protect her from the challenge she faced, and the things she'd just done.

[Wanna skip a little bit? To when the ship is docked and Ceto, Garrett, and Roberts reach land?]

Roberts

Gasping for breathe, the pirate pulled himself onto shore and past the waves. He lay on his stomach, trying to regain his composure, but failing. Swimming used to be his sport. A young man's game he supposed. After slowing his breathing comfortably and resting a few minutes, he sat up and looked at Ceto. "We need to hide out." He said. "You're little assassin buddies might have Hawk Vision or whatever the Hell you call it but you do to, so I ask you: Where wouldn't an Assassin look for their prey?" He should've never signed on. Too much trouble for so little pay. It was better than signing on with fools, or worse, the French. But then again, scrubbing an outhouse as better than signing on with the French.

Ceto Sylvini

Ceto climbed onto the shore beside Roberts, flopping onto her back. Wasn't that just great? She had lost the Sista Viska! Some pirate she was! She sat up and looked over the ocean, her eyes narrowing against the sun. Garrett soon joined them and huffed as he sat up. The man was cradling his knee. She had forgotten that Poppy had shot it. At least it wasn't bleeding anymore, not as much as before, anyway. Her blue eyes drifted to the ocean and frowned deeper. "... assassins look everywhere for their prey." she said, her eyes narrowing slightly. "You don't know how they're like. They look underground, in caves. Wherever a human body can fit, they look." she heaved a sigh. "I shouldn't have trusted that man. I shouldn't have! Castiel was always shady, everyone knew that."