Firstborn Dragon

Hibernate

I was thinking that a lot of reptiles/amphibians/mammals hibernate and basically go into stasis in cooler climates.

What it would do is 'freeze' a hatchling in time for 1 week. It would gain no views/clicks during this period, would not gender, age or mature.

However unlike fogging, the hatchling COULD be traded, which would cause it to awaken from hibernation early.

My thought behind this is I've seen people working on specific projects needing a certain gender of dragon, and some of the hatchlings tend to gender within half an hour before growing up. By putting in a hibernate options, these users could send the hatchling to someone else working on a similar project, and not need to worry about hatchlings growing. Same with trying to gift hatchlings, I've had them grow up on me after realising they're the wrong gender for what I'm working on.

While techincally yes, hibernate could be used on adults, there wouldn't really be a reason to. It would not work on eggs, there's really no animal I know of that has an egg that can delay hatching.

The hatchling would still take up a space as normal, and the 1 week was just an arbetrary time frame I chose.

I've had some people counter that hatchlings can gender earlier then a few hours before maturing, but it dosen't always happen, especially with some of the rare breeds. I have had hatchlings that despite large numbers of V/UV/C still didn't gender till 3 hours before maturation time, and had more then enough stats to mature exactly at the 4 day mark. This is espcially likely amonst blacks, metalics, and other rare dragons.

They could only go into hibernation once, so it would be a one time deal. The reason I suggest a longer time frame is that there's no benifit to hibernate except as a trading aid, and that it would end with the trade. Given the diffrences with people's times, and seduals it could take a day to find someone who wants a hatchling, and another day to set up the trade, which may not be acepted until the 3rd day. Alternativly there could be an option to bring a hatchling out of hibernation early, however again it would lock a user out of using the ablity again.

It also gives a user time to work out another recipiant if the first deal falls though, which has happend to me personally.

Although technically again a limit could be put on the number of hibernating hatchlings, there wouldn't really be a specific need, as the hibernated hatchling still counts towards your hatchling total, so no one could use it to bypass the cap. Also given a dragon's outcome is decided at hatching it wouldn't have any use on trying to influence if you got a sunrise/set or alt dragon.

Edited by Firstborn Dragon

... Isn't this a repost?

A lot of dragons would have to be warm blooded just because of their lifestyle.

And...

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=82168

"BSA's should fit the breed

Yes, you want to be able to do INSERT COOL THING HERE. But trying to force an action on a breed is a bad idea; it should make sense for a dragon to perform an action.

Try looking at a dragon and trying to think of what actions would fit it, rather than the other way around."

If you can come up with a dragon that makes sense with this you can make a new thread or ask me to reopen this one.

... Isn't this a repost?

Somewhat. Someone suggested it was better a hatchling skill then a BSA, and to post it here.

More like a 'fog' option for hatchlings only.

Also added the fact that there are a number of warm blooded animals that hibernate, to counter the argument it wouldn;t work for all dragons.

Edited by Firstborn Dragon

Somewhat. Someone suggested it was better a hatchling skill then a BSA, and to post it here.

More like a 'fog' option for hatchlings only.

Also added the fact that there are a number of warm blooded animals that hibernate, to counter the argument it wouldn;t work for all dragons.

Yes, but specific dragons? And I think just Pm'ing a mod to have this reopened when you have a specific dragon in mind is a better idea than just reposting.

Yes, but specific dragons? And I think just Pm'ing a mod to have this reopened when you have a specific dragon in mind is a better idea than just reposting.

This is planned/requested as a 'normal' action, just like fogging and freezing. More like freezing really as this is allready a hatchling specific action - it doesn't show up for eggs or adults, only hatchlings.

So this won't need a dragon to perform.

Other than that I don't think any dragon this cave will see would be able to bring a hatchling to hibernate. hibernating usually is something done by the animal itself.

I don't think I get it.

First of all - hibernating doesn't make sense. Dragons wouldn't hibernate only once, and you wouldn't be able to just tell them to hibernate and have them do it. Yes, I have had trading become more complicated due to a hatchling gendering/maturing - but it's never much of a roadblock. Just fog it until you're ready to trade. And if you're supposed to be trading a male/female, influence it, hatch it and then fog it.

There is no benefit to this except for trading. Well - I don't even see it as much help for that. If you plan a trade well enough, make sure both people are on when you trade, start planning it out when it's just an egg, chances are it'll work out.

And would there be a way to wake it up without trading it? Would it be woken up once it was put in an offer? Once an offer was made on it? Once it was offered to someone else? Or only after it was traded?

Yes - trading can be frustrated - but I still don't see much use in this. :\

This could help for those who have dragons in trade getting bombed. I like the idea, but I'm not sure how well it could really work in an RP and coding sense. I'll stay neutral for now. o3o

One problem is dragons are not lizards. Due to them flying and/or having the lifestyle they do they would have to be warm blooded, and warm blooded animals do not hibernate as easily as reptiles, they need a special mechanism while reptiles do not. Plus no animal can hibernate without cold temperatures, since they use the cold to slow down their metabolism.

I personally think this would be best done as a BSA for a common dragon that uses magic to manipulate the weather or to control ice/cold.

From the gray dragon description:

"In addition, they have full control of the weather."

But for any BSA for the gray dragon, due to their grumpiness, it would have to have a relatively high rate of them refusing to do your bidding. I would personally suggest "chill" as the BSA name. "The dragon creates a winter microclimate around the hatchling and coaxes it into hibernation"

Edited by Pokemonfan13