StarSea

Warriors: The Beginning

(Sorry I didn't get to reply yesterday! I had work and it was a really busy day- getting everything ready for homecoming tonight as we're closed sundays. I didn't get to read up on everything between Soiled and Choco, but I did get to read Hazelpaw's part. Anyone want to help with the summary recap for pages 1 and 2? smile.gif)

Foxthunder slowed a bit as Hazelpaw caught up to him. He had planned on doing this alone, figuring that Hazelpaw could take this time to do some personal training as she won't always be hunting with others, but he enjoyed her company. He shook is head and replied, "Don't be sorry. I was going to collect some herbs for the medicine den just in case we got low on stock. Leaf-fall is almost over and after the first snowfall, it'll be hard to find anything. Speaking of Leafbare, maybe it'd be a good time to teach you about hunting techniques now before you have to put them into action. Let's go to the training hallow and on the way back we can collect herbs." Slowing down a little more, her veered off towards the hallow, inviting Hazelpaw to chat with him if she'd like.

[Yeah no problem ^^ Uhm tbh I didn't really read all of it either.. just kind of skimmed. haha ;P]

Hazelpaw smiled a little and raised her head as Foxthunder told her not to be sorry. She nodded in understanding when he told her that he was going to gather herbs, and her ears flattened a little when he spoke of the coming leaf-bare, only to prick up when he mentioned hunting techniques. "Oh, yes!" the apprentice exclaimed with excitement, her tail curling up in happiness. She and her mentor had barely touched on hunting techniques before; she hadn't even tried hunting real prey yet, only leaves.

Hazelpaw trotted after Foxthunder, following the already familiar path to the training hollow. "What hunting techniques will you teach me today?" she ventured shyly, curious. They reached the hollow and she was starting to get a bit nervous now that all the excitement was beginning to wear off. What if she turned out to be terrible at hunting? What if she was never fast enough to catch any of the rabbits that WindClan cats (including her) were so fond of eating? What if, what if, what if . . . ? Hazelpaw sat down and curled her tail around her front paws self-consciously.

[[so, this kittypet named Fluffy invaded camp, Sunpaw chased after her, while Mountainmist decided to corner her from a different direction. Then Sunpaw and Fluffy started fighting, Fluffy explaining that she battled Leafstar once. Then another cat appeared, a rogue named Scar. Scar he got angry at Sunpaw and both cats started to attack. So Sunpaw ran up a tree and continued to talk, Scar told Sunpaw that he knows a cat named 'Fall'. Fall's mate was killed by the clan cats and took his daughter away, and now he wants revenge. Something like that.]]

Sunpaw looked down in shock. "Starlingleaf!" He mewed. "These rogues are tough! Not your average rogue!" He meowed loudly from above.

Blizzardstar strode out of his den, Waiting for his apprentice, Lunapaw, to come. he trot over to the river, and, with his expert eyes, flashed a paw in and a silvery fish flew up from the river, as the gray tabby swiped it from the air and killed it with a bite. He got another smaller fish and ate that one; he was hungry. Then he broguth the medium-sized fish to his camp, dropping it in the kill pile, then stood there, waitiing for Lunapaw.

~

Twistedpaw limped over, in front of the warriors den. He waited for Wildshade, his mentor, and decided to eat a small frog he found deep in the pile. He continued to wait, holding his twisted paw up. The tom had been very fond of this paw; as , he thought, it was the thing that made him different from the rest of the shadowy cats in his clan.

Starlingleaf waved her tail at Sunpaw, as if telling him to not worry; she had it handled - although she definitely didn't. The medicine cat was trying hard not to shake in fear, knowing perfectly well that the rogues could rip her apart into tiny pieces if they wanted to, and there was nothing she and Sunpaw could do to stop them. "Get down from the tree," she repeated, not breaking her gaze from the rogue cat who was too close to Sunpaw for comfort.

Sky saw the older cat, Riverclan's leader, and quickly hid, forgetting about his half eaten fish.

Scar stalked up to the medicine cat. "Heheh... Acting tough? I can smell fear..." he hissed, examining her.

Fluffy merely glanced at the new arrival. "Oh, so according to what you say, they killed Fall's mate because she was going to leave? Interesting... The first time that I've talked to you clan cats turned out to be a more interesting talk than I thought. She clawed the bark..

"Now... You're my prey..." Fluffy hissed as she stalked forwards towards Sunpaw and lashed out with a paw.

Icefire had heard cats talking and followed the sound, thinking that she would find a clan cat. But she was wrong. Instead of scenting unfamiliar cats, she caught two scents that were dreadfully familiar to her. She peered out behind a tree to see Scar, an unfamiliar cat and Fluffy, apparently trying to force another cat to fall. She quickly scampered up the tree and pushed Fluffy off. Knowing Fluffy, she would be fine, as hard to kill as a cockroach (A simile we use in China when we're talking about someone who never seems to die no matter what happens)

"What the-" Fluffy exclaimed as she slid off of the branch. She fell with a screech but landed on all fours.

"Are you okay?" Icefire asked the younger cat, closing one eye so that the young cat would not be frightened by her mismatched eyes.

[[Yeah, once a squished a cockroach on the head, then...*Shudders*]]

"I think I've seen just about everything now," Sunpaw muttered, watching Fluffy fall. "Thanks! Um, what's wrong with your eye?" He mewed. Then he yowled. "What are you talking about, kittypet! I asked you a question; I didn't give you an answer!!!" Then he looked back at Icefire in wonder. "You are a loner...no worries, those who help the clan won't get punished..." He looked back down at Scar, really busy looking up and down. "By the way, who was the daughter called, anyways?"

((That simile anyways makes me think of Tom in Tom & Jerry or Team Rocket...))

"Um... my eye? Well, it's a long story..." Icefire muttered, still keeping the eye closed.

Scar didn't hear Sunpaw's question, he was too busy glaring at Icefire.

"Icefire!? Why are you helping those clan idiots!? You're a city cat and this territory will soon belong to us!" he shouted up at the white cat.

"I don't care," Icefire replied, her blue eye narrowed, "Ganging up on others and tormenting others is wrong! Especially on a younger cat!"

Scar flinched. Then he smirked, "I guess you've forgotten what you have done in the city then... You-" he was interrupted by Icefire, who sprang off of the branch with a somersault and landed on his shoulders, paws first, flattening him. Scar threw her off and ran for it. "I'm not fighting with the cruelest cat in the city. I'm not dumb enough to do such a thing that'll cost my life!" he shouted. Icefire flinched. His words brought back bad memories.

"Pfft... Who's ganging up on who now?" Fluffy asked, smirking and running towards her home.

"COWARDS! COWARDS! YOU FOXDUNGS OF A ROGUE! IT'LL TAKE A LOT MORE THAN THAT TO TAKE OVER THE FOREST! RUN TO YOUR STINKING DUMP OF A HOME! DON'T THINK ABOUT COMING BACK EITHER!" Sunpaw yowled in such a loud voice that he thought that all the cats in Starclan could hear him. He then lifted his head in triumph. "Thanks! Those rogues sure learned a lesson!" Sunpaw trotted forward, watching the rogues flee. "So you're the strongest cat in the city? Awesome!"

Mountainmist heard the screeching of Sunpaw. He'll scare away all the prey. Not that it matters at this point. Mountainmist raced next to Sunpaw, then whipped around to knock Sunpaw off balance. She stood over him ominously. "What are you doing? Running off like that! You have a lot more to learn until you become a warrior, Sunpaw. You shouldn't underestimate others; you could have been killed, and yet..." Mountainmist stopped and turned her head towards Icefire. Her tail flicked, eyes narrowed, but she didn't move. "And who might you be?"

"Actually..." Icefire was about to answer but then Mountainmist came over, giving her a shock. She still shut her amber eye tightly though, but instinctively jumped into an offensive position. When she realized the cat was scolding the younger one, though, she relaxed.

"Oh, I'm Icefire," the white she-cat meowed in reply, dipping her head and making sure she didn't seem like a threat. "And you are...?"

"I'm Mountainmist, Sunpaw's mentor." Mountainmist mewed formally. "I would normally chase you rogue cats out of my territory..." She raised her head and her ears twitched in amusement. "...but, you just saved my apprentice. Feel free to stick around a bit. Excuse me." Mountainmist bounded over to Starlingleaf. "Are you alright?" She mewed in concern for the medicine cat.

"Sorry, Mountainmist!" Sunpaw squeaked. "I apologize..." He mewed, trailing off. "Those cats were a bit tougher than your average rogues and kittypets...they said something about taking over the forest, we should tell Leafstar to set more patrols..." Sunpaw looked up thoughtfully. Sunpaw had learned lots of wisdom from his mentor; this made up for his confident and careless self. Sunpaw looked back at Icefire. "What were you saying again, Icefire?" He mewed.

((Girlfairy76, heads up!

3. Elders, Queens, and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors. Unless they have permission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders. If any warrior or apprentice is sick or injured, they may eat while the elders, queens, and kits are eating.

Blizzardstar is not permitted to eat before feeding the Elders, Queens, and kits. Though he may be leader, his position is still set in the Warriors. Just to make sure you know. (And usually the mentor would go to the apprentice's den and wake them...)))

(Alright, I suppose no one is going to interrupt Lunapaw and Fall, so I'll just say it was another vole or other... orrrr...)

Suddenly a small black kit tumbled from the rustling reeds. It let out a pitiful mew, barely able to stand. "Momma!! Momma!" it cried, looking around, cold and lost.

"Ashkit!" Lunapaw mewed in shock. "What are you doing all the way out here? And were is Sunheart?" she asked the kit as if it could comprehend. It was clearly too young to be away from its mother, let alone out of camp. She nudged the kit up and looked over her shoulder at Fall. "Next time I catch you here, I'm not going to be alone, and I'm not going to let you steal prey again," she warned him sternly, trying to sound tougher than she knew she really was. She gently picked up Ashkit and began to pad home with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Foxthunder swept away the very few leaves that had managed to blow over from Fourtrees and crouched somewhat low. Looking at his apprentice, he told her, "When leafbare comes, hunting will be extremely hard. Everything will hear you better from the crunching of the snow, so you've got to be careful. You've got to sound like something else." To show her an example, he began to pad forward, but instead of padding, he slid his feet along the grass the best he could. It was hard to train leafbare techniques when there was no snow, but the sooner the better. "You try," he told her, standing up straight and padding off to the side. "Don't worry if you don't get it the first time. It'll be so much easier when there's snow to try it on," he informed her. As if on command, a single silvery white snowflake floated down and placed itself upon his nose. Oh dear, already? Then he realized it had been almost two moons since leaf-fall had come.

((I figured we'd start leafbare soon as we're already almost to a gathering - five pages - which marks a moon as well as the fact that 'leaf-fall' where I am is almost halfway through. For right now, lets do just a few snowflakes and light frost in the mornings and then after the next gathering we can start getting some real snow. happy.gif

All in favor, say I! xd.png))

Fall smiled as he watched Lunapaw take the kit home, thinking of his daughter. It had been over four seasons since he had seen her. He tried to keep the hope of his daughter being alive as he padded along the border. As he did, he saw Scar, coming from the Thunderclan side.

"Scar, what are you doing here?" He asked when he was close enough.

"Just scouting the battlefield if you know what I mean..." Scar replied, seeing Fall and dipping his head in respect, "Did you know that Icefire was here?"

"What!? But then..."

[sure! I'm okay with that (:]

Starlingleaf had given up on hiding her fear (right around when Scar had addressed her) and was now curled up in a fetal position near a tree, shaking hard. Then yet ANOTHER strange cat came; Starlingleaf barely had time to close her eyes before the cat scampered up the tree. The medicine cat heard a screech, and then a thump. She quickly opened her eyes, worried that Sunpaw had fallen off the tree and had broken a leg or something. Starlingleaf realized with relief that this wasn't the case; the new cat had pushed the other cat, the one that had been threatening Sunpaw, out of the tree.

Starlingleaf blinked in surprise, forgetting her fear for a few seconds as she studied the new cat. She was closing one eye for some reason, and judging by the way she defended Sunpaw while Scar was yelling at her, she was friendly and not a threat. The rogues had a brief argument, and the two hostile ones ran away. Starlingleaf was starting to relax and stand up when Sunpaw yelled after them, startling the poor medicine cat and sending her back to her curled-up position.

Then Mountainmist came, seemingly out of nowhere (what had she been doing this whole time while Sunpaw was in danger? not exactly great mentoring, Starlingleaf's scattered brain managed to think, then she felt guilty about it. After all, she hadn't exactly been performing as a good medicine cat) and scared Starlingleaf witless. Apparently she also gave the rogue a shock too, as the rogue instantly jumped into an offensive position. After Mountainmist had scolded Sunpaw appropriately, she and the rogue (Icefire, Starlingleaf now knew) introduced themselves.

After the cats exchanged a few more words, Mountainmist bounded over to Starlingleaf to check if she was alright. It took the medicine cat a moment to get her scattered thoughts in order and to force her panicky heart to slow down. "Ahh... I'm all right," she mewed weakly. She flicked her tail at Icefire. "If this cat hadn't showed up, Sunpaw would be crowfood... so thank you so much, Icefire," she said, dipping her head respectfully to the loner. "I tried to help Sunpaw, but, well..." Starlingleaf trailed off and licked her chest a couple of times, embarrassed. "Sorry, Sunpaw," she mumbled.

Nightstar watched idly as the cats of Shadowclan awoke and began their day. Glancing over as a flicker of movement caught her attention, the dark furred feline noticed Silentpaw searching for, no doubt, his mentor. "Silentpaw, I am over here." Standing, she padded towards the young apprentice and greeted him with a light twitch of her tail. "Searching for something to do? Come. Let me consult Lightningstreak about the patrols for today then we shall go out into the territory and hunt or explore. Perhaps both."

Tail motioning for Silentpaw to follow, Nightstar turned and glanced around for her deputy. "Lightningstreak, have you begun any patrols as of yet? If so, how many?" She knew the deputy could hear her; the Shadowclan warrior was an early riser just like the leader and wouldn't have left camp unless patrols had been sent out and her presence was not absolutely necessary. Nightstar had chosen Lightningstreak to be deputy for a reason and the female had yet to disappoint her or let the clan down.

---

Scratching irritably at the back of his ear, Wildshade grumbled almost unintelligently. When he picked up on Twistedpaw waiting nearby, he halted mid-scratch and examined the apprentice. "Are you still savoring that crippled paw? It's not some rare bird for you to ogle about. If it still works, put it down and use it like your other paws! If not, then tell me and I can inform Nightstar about it. Then you won't be a warrior since you won't be able to fight properly!" Putting his paw down, he shook out his fur and stalked towards Twistedpaw. "I don't understand our leader here or there with the decisions she makes but, if she sees something in you that I don't, then you best not soil it or let it go to your mouse-brained head!"

Grumbling again, he brushed past his apprentice to sniff at the fresh-kill pile. It seemed low but that was to be expected, what with leaf-bare coming pretty soon. "Take some prey to the elders and that annoying bit of gray fur." He was referring to Graykit but Twistedpaw would be able to figure that out quite easily as Wildshade always referred to the kit as such and, the obvious thing to note, he was the only kit.

---

Pausing again, Dusteye took a few moments to think of his words. "Oakpaw, have you ever thought to spend a bit of time with Pigeonstar? And not as a leader but as your mother? I mean, I've seen her try and approach you but something always comes up for you or her and things get in the way. Just now, she tried again but you didn't seem to notice..." He trailed off, suddenly realizing he might come off as lecturing the newly made apprentice.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to lecture you or anything. I'm just concerned about your connection with Pigeonstar. Family is important and, just because one member is of a high clan rank, doesn't mean family should be isolated from family. For example," He glanced over his shoulder and swept his tail to encompass the camp. "Each clan is a family of its own and it works best when everyone is together. A clan is stronger fighting together than if each cat were separated and fought by themselves."

((Oh, and, btw, that last post was an unfinished post, not a cliffhanger))

"Icefire isn't being herself. I must say," Scar interrupted.

"What do you mean?" Fall asked.

"Oh, we'll, she got in my way..."

"Is that so...?"

"We'll, see you. I have things to take care off."

"Farewell," Fall dipped his head before running into Windclan territory.

Scar watched him go away before walking the other way, into Riverclan territory.

Sky peered out from behind a rock at Blizzardstar. The older cat seemed distracted so he took this chance to dart out, grab his half-eaten fish and make a run for it. Suddenly, when out of sight if the older cat, he hurled straight into the side of another.

"Ow!" The small cat cried, letting go of the fish and falling flat. He looked up. This she cat was slightly bigger than her and carrying a younger kit in her jaws.

"It's fine and thank you. I just didn't like how they were bullying a younger cat," Icefire said, dipping her head to Mountainmist and Starlingleaf. Then she looked at Sunpaw. "We'll, I was going to say... I'm not really the strongest in the city... I'm actually afraid of blood, so I don't really hunt and stuff... They're only afraid of me because... Well, it's a long story..."

Silentpaw dipped his head in respect, then followed Nightstar, keeping his silent disposition. He stopped behind Nightstar, who was talking to the deputy, Lightningstreak. Silentpaw flicked his tail in greeting. He stood quietly behind the two she-cats, waiting for Lightningstreak's response.

Sunpaw flicked his tail. "No worries! No cat would want our medicine cat to get hurt!" He mewed cheerfully. Then he looked back at Mountainmist, and then Icefire. "Oh, blood." Sunpaw made a face. "I don't like blood, either. That's why we have medicine cats!" Sunpaw whipped around to Mountainmist when he heard that there was a story. A long one, too. This might delay his apprentice duties for some time. "A story! A story! Mountainmist, can I listen?" He meowed, tail straight up in the air.

"What? Sunpaw...you're not a kit anymore." Mountainmist suppressed the urge to yowl at Sunpaw. "You have a lot of work to do; training, hunting, and your apprentice duties."

Coldstorm padded around, eyes and ears pricked for prey. So far, he had caught a bundle of fish, enough to feed two or three cats. He had spent all afternoon in this bright sun. Coldstorm shook his pelt in annoyance; the water flew everywhere. He didn't like the sun very much. He liked the winter snow, which was a burden to most cats. His thick pelt helped him during the harsh Leafbare, as well as his ability to detect even the slightest scents. Coldstorm was about to leave when he scented a new cat. Intruder. Coldstorm whipped around and bounded over to the rogue. "Get lost." Coldstorm growled, ears flattened. "You're not welcome in Riverclan."

Edited by Unknown

"Huh!? But...Mountainmist!" Sunpaw complained. "This is my chance to learn all I can about the outside world! I mean, twolegs! Monsters! Rogues! Doesn't that interest you?" Sunpaw bounded up and down, eyes literally begging Mountainmist.

Mountainmist lowered her head, sighed, then looked at Sunpaw with narrowed eyes. "Nope. Not interested. Sunpaw, you already know all you need to know." She flicked her tail in annoyance. Did all that strict training have no effect on Sunpaw?! Perhaps he was too carefree. Mountainmist thought, looking away. Then, finally, she flicked her eyes back onto Sunpaw. "Alright. How about this. Since you are so determined to hear this little story, I'll give you a chance. Of course...you'll have to meet my expectations. Are you up for it?"

"Geez, are you motivated or not?" Mountainmist snapped. "Okay, here's the deal..." She leaned in, eyes boring into Sunpaw's. "You and I will have a mock battle. If you manage to corner me, I'll let you hear the story. If not...you'll have to clean the elder's den for a month. Still determined?" Mountainmist smirked; sometimes, she had to push Sunpaw to his limit.

"WHAT?" Sunpaw meowed in shock. A mock battle? Even he knows that Mountainmist is one of the fastest in the clan. Well, he ia Mountainmist's apprentice, so he was fast, but not as fast as a warrior...! Can he do it?! Well...it's not like he can back down now...Sunpaw boldly looked up. "Yeah! I will fight you, Mountainmist! All for the story!"