Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

((They were introduced as travel mates, plus golden lions are normally considered Solar symbols. So she may assume that she's in Solar company and therefore safe from the Deathlord she's running from, but if you want reactions....))

Pheonix was taken aback by the speed of the rest of the Liotrix's arrival, but as Aruna had already mentioned them as a group and introduced them as travel mates, she suppressed her usual more violent reaction. A couple of sparks did seem to flicker from her fading anima as she wasn't able to suppress her whole training and nature.

--------

Web however seemed ready to bolt as the howls anounced their coming. Her already pale skin seemed to grow paler as panic started to set in.

"He can't have found me already.... his servants don't even like sunlight!"

Panic had her tapping into reserves she didn't want to spend, her Essence started to form a circle around her as she prepared to lead - what she thought were the Deathlord's servants - into the Underworld. It was hard to cross between the two, but the destruction and death that permeated Lookshy's location had already started to corrupt and weaken the boundaries.

"If I can lead them away perhaps the warning can still be carried by others."

She spared enough time to explain what she meant, but her focus was on fleeing.

Edited by Takhesis

Turning forward, Atlas watched the approaching men carefully. Although he trusted Aruna, his faith in her judgement was not so sure, and spies were so easy to find these days. Leading Nimmo futher up the steep walls, he looked at the surrounding desert, for the sniper who could end it all. He'd had enough near death expierences for a life time, and didn't wish to increase the tally.

"So, an army, verses..." Counting up the surrounding people, Atlas dismayed. There couldn't have been more than 20 in the group, and they were in a death zone. "Us...."

"Intersting. I wonder what knowledge a warrior could impart to a scholar for their support." And I wonder what it would take to break that alliance he thought, worried about the repercussions that could echo over the country. "Unless pitting the Deathlord's against the Empress would work in your favour."

"Hey!" Taken aback by Web's reaction, Atlas rode after her, breaking into a gallop to try and overtake her. His horse's hooves pounded at the dusty floor, and he crounched down, reducing the drag.

((Emerald...she's using an Essence-based teleport. She's in the centre of a magic circle...She hasn't moved as such))

Web's Essence had created a distortion around her as she started to drop into the Underworld - a shadow and dead version of Creation. As she stood in the gap between the two worlds, she could see both the crater and the city of Lookshy as it once stood, although the grey tones of the buildings still looked creepy.

----

"Charging at her won't help, Atlas." Pheonix said, "Only an Essence attack will break her teleport. However it would have to be stronger than whatever ability she's using." So saying, Pheonix tapped into her Essence again, causing her anima to flare brighter. She started to form what looked like a fireball infront of her, ready to propel it into Web's Essence thing.

((Awkward....*facepalm*))

Not knowing what to do, Atlas reached a hand towards her, trying to grab her out of the teleport. Anyone in need, who he could help he would, and he clung on, not wanting to let go.

((I just assumed Atlas had moved away to do the count and was charging back to disrupt lol and now Atlas is in the area of effect too. He'll see the Underworld version of Lookshy as well lol))

Pheonix cursed under her breath as Atlas reached through to Web, she couldn't fire now. Web was protected fully by her own Essence shield during the teleport, but she wasn't sure whether Atlas would be as well. It really depended on whether Web extended hers or not.

(Now do I drop both Atlas and Web in the Underworld/ let the teleport fail as she couldn't compensate for the extra addition?)

((Hmm....depends, if she was scared her powers may have increased with her emotions, your choice))

Flickering images passed before his eyes, teasing Atlas...was Lookshy..then the dusty ruins. Planting his feet firmly on the ground, Atlas leaned backwards, his head swimming and his eyes closed, blotting out the vision. Shifting his weight onto his right foot, which was placed slightly behind his left, trying to pull her out of the circle.

Aruna stood there a little dumbfounded. One moment she had been speaking to her old friend Ulric and the next there was a commotion behind her. Spinning around she saw that this Web woman had thought that the Lionatrix were the Deathlord's minions and she was attempting to escape their wrath. Shouting, she called out to Web, 'Web, these men mean no harm! We are a group of Justice and in no way involved with Deathlords!' Turning to her right she could see that Pheonix was thinking of breaking Web's teleport, but Atlas had gone into the range of Web's essence. Now there was only two options, they would both go to the underworld or Atlas could get hurt. Jumping off her horse she closed the short distance between her and Atlas. Calling upon her essence Aruna's Anima began to form. Within moments a massive panther of deep gold and black surrounded her, it's head meeting her own in height. It stalked silently around her, mouth open in a silent growl. Reaching her hand toward Atlas, Aruna extended her anima and the panther lunged toward him, pacing around them both. She nodded to Pheonix, hoping she would understand that she should now stop Web.

(This should be fun, and painful for Web...shattered Essence spells hurt. Essence 4 Dragon-Blood vs Essence 5 Abyssal.... normally Essence 5 wins, but an Essence 5 under strain...)

Pheonix nodded back, seeing that Aruna had extended her anima to cover both Atlas and herself. She released her fireball into the magic circle that Web had called on. Her fireball impacted the Essence shield.

The shield wavered slightly, then cracked open like an eggshell. Disrupting Web's teleport and forcing those within back onto Creation.

-----------

The extra addition of Atlas had caused a partial strain on Web's teleport, but would have succeeded, if Aruna hadn't also added her anima's presence. And of course, that fireball really didn't help.

Solar Essence mixed with her Abyssal Essence, and as they were direct opposites canceled each other out. Or would have, if that had been Aruna's intention - as it was she was directing hers to protect Atlas and as such only reduced Web's power.

The fireball was the proverbial last straw. Its impact broke the shield. The effect was visible, the shield's shards falling to the ground, in slow-motion, to fade into nothingness upon hitting the floor. The backlash hit Web hard.

Her caste mark was now really visible, the strain of a teleport would have revealed it anyway, but the shattering of her Essence caused a more painful result.

On the center of Web's forehead was a circle with a dot in the centre, the clarity blurred by the blood that the mark wept. However the original design was still visible by the dark light it shed. The pain was more mental than physical, but Web still shook from the after effects.

(Summoning essence is soooo mainstream tongue.gif )

Drawing back, Atlas retreated a few steps away from Web, blinking in confusion, and rubbing his eyes as if that would make the visions go away. Calming down, he realized they had stopped, opening his eyes to survey the surroundings.

"My first view of the Underworld" he murmered, proud that he could keep the waver that was running through his mind out of his voice. "Where Lookshy lives on."

((Well, Essence is kind of like magic use, it drains the user if used excessively. In tabletop Exalted RPs the anima banner is representative of that use, and is often an indication that the Exalt has been/is being pushed to his/her limits.))

Web collapsed to the ground, her weak physical frame no longer able to hold her weight. She was drained from that abortive attempt, both mentally and physically.

"Guess I should have waited until Nightfall to attempt that teleport." She muttered, "Although I'd be dead either way. The Shadow of Cities is not known for his mercy."

Aruna stumbled backward as Pheonix's fire ball ripped apart Web's teleport. Shoulders sagging, she released her essence and the oddly coloured panther began to fade away, ever prowling. She laughed to herself a little, for no apparent reason and looked from one person to the other. Her men were still on horseback, wearing masks of an impassive expression, and Atlas, Web and Pheonix all looked bewildered. Aruna stood up straight and gasped as Web fell to the ground. Aruna lunged forward and picked the girl up. 'Yes I guess you should have.' Once she was sure that Web could stand she looked to Pheonix, 'Well that was exciting, but what do you say we do now?'

"I'd say the first order of business is to get to cover before anything else happens." Pheonix replied, "Then we probably should find out as much as we can about the supposed Deathlord alliance." She tried to hide her surprise that Aruna seemed to be consulting her on the next course of action.

((Oh god - I'm sorry, I've been so busy :L))

"Cover sounds good", Atlas murmered, readjusting himself to the surroundings. The world was coming into focus, and his mind zoned in on the voices he could hear. "And maybe a bath..." The grime that covered his clothes - what would his father had said? Clean Armour was the sign of an knight, and Atlas' dream had to be fulfilled as much as possible. It was all he had. Except for Librae.

((That's okay!))

Aruna nodded muttering, 'Right.' She turned to one of her men, one that wielded a seemingly glowing mace and asked him something. Turning back to her companions she said, 'My men have scouted the area and there are a few abandoned huts not too far from here, I say we go there, if we run into trouble, well that will not be a problem.' With a small, hidden, smile Aruna remounted her steed and the men of Lionatrix fel into formation behind her. She noticed that Web and Atlas had their own horses but that Phoenix did not. With a glance over her shoulder she turned her horse to face Phoenix and asked, 'Do you not have a horse?'

(No worries, this can be easily picked up)

Pheonix replied to Aruna, "Very few horses can bear to carry a Fire Aspect for long, the residual aura of our element doesn't agree with them." A slow smile crept on her face, "However, Fire-Aspected Dragonbloods have developed certain low Essence abilities to compensate. After all, very little travels faster than fire."

Pheonix was reffering to a set of Movement Charms that enhanced the Essence Users own speed, they were commonly used in the past by scout-messengers.

(Bumping again and in honor of the Halloween season - the Deathlord of Thorns stirs)

The Mask of Winters looked out over the city of Thorns from his throne ontop of his Juggernaught - an ancient behemoth on the edge of life that was enslaved to his command by the black Essence of the Void.

Thorns had been taken by his undead armies, and reshaped the city to his own liking. Of course, he hadn't got this far on his own, turning to a shadowy figure that stood by the door, he ordered in a cold voice.

"Send for the Disciple. I have a task for him." Turning back to the city vista, he smiled grimly. Its time to make my next move....

((I am! But I wanted to wait for EmeraldMay to reply))

((Sorry again :l I unsubscribed from everything for Halloween, then I forgot to resubscribe :L So sorry! ))

"Huts seem like a good plan," Atlas said, his voice deepening as dehydration dryed his throat. Reaching to his belt he took out a water gourd, sipping from it and relishing the liquid flowing down his throat. "We need to get to cover." Swinging up onto Nimmo's back, he automatically slid his foot into the area where the stirrups would have been, only to find they were no longer there. Torn off probably, a scared horse thinks little for it's riders comfort. He'd never been a skilled rider, but he hoped he could do.

"Fire eh?" Atlas had seen enough fire for one lifetime, but he understood the reasoning behind it. "I'll stick with horses." A self-depreciating grin lingered on his face, and he turned slightly, looking into the distance.

((Already kept this open longer than I said last time, but since theres been no post since Nov 13th I think I can say its lost appeal to the players. So will keep open until Dec 13th before final closing))