Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

((Perhaps your Lunar also sees Pheonix's anima, or perhaps he sees Web riding her horse fast and hard? If he's a Robin Hood-style, perhaps he assumes Web's a damsel in distress because of her speed?))

Aruna watched the man take then side of the explosion down into the crater's vast depths. As precautionary as she was being she was slightly intrigued by such a strong anima. With slight hesitation she squeezed her steed's sides lightly and dropped her reins. Her horse trotted contentedly beneath her as she readied her bow. She herself was more deadly a weapon than any sword, but her bow was like an extension of herself. Nocking an arrow she gathered her reins in one hand and took the bottom limb of her bow in the other. She positioned her arms so that she could grab the string of the bow and shoot it within seconds. With a firm hold on her reins she spurred her steed into a canter and started down the steep cliff. She could see the man from before, though he was not too close. Choosing stealth she slowed her horse, taking the last half of the hill at a trot. With her guidance the hooves of her horse made as much sound as a lamb's steps, and she was within shooting distance in no time. As she attempted to speed up so that she could move to the man's front a loose rock tumbled down the side of the crater and she cursed herself. Slowing her steed back down she drew her bow and sat tall, ready for an attack.

(Oops - just remembered Nimmo's female tongue.gif ))

Startled, Atlas turned round at the sound of the rock moving. Ruby red hair and gemstone eyes, the women standing behind him was...beautiful. And she was holding a loaded bow. Which was pointed. At him.

Time stopping, and heart in his throat, Atlas dropped his morning star, the clang of steel of earth resonating throughout the hole, bouncing of the sides as echos entwined with the sound. Holding both hands clearly up, he dismounted, leaving both hands visible in her sight the entire time. Holding the reins of the confused mare in his right hand, Atlas lifted up his hood, revealing his face.

Warm brown eyes dulled with grief glowed out from the dark tan his face had acquired from many years working under the sun. His lips were pursed with worry, concern, regret, although his eyes matched the green ones staring at him, calm, resolute, accepting.

Atlas' mind was full of turmoil, yet he watched internally as his body performed these actions. He didn't want to die - he wanted to return, to Librae, to his Ma, but deep inside, he knew he was dead. Why was he giving up? His mind answered, she was too far away to attack. If he ran, she could shoot. If he advanced, she could shoot. Dying had always been on his mind, and he wanted to go with dignity, not begging or grovelling.

Knocking the bronze curl that kept. on. doing. that. off his forehead, Atlas reveled his caste mark, a shining sun, rays beaming out from it. Let me die with my identity known, let me die a person, an individual, not some charred ash. Oh gods why did you save me from Lookshy - only to kill me not even an hour after? He'd given her the option to make it quick, and now was his time to fight. With words.

"Hasn't there been enough death today?" he queried, unblinking eyes not leaving hers for a second.

Pheonix turned at the sound of a voice, her anima still in the sky. Totemic animas would take time to fade even if the Exalt stopped channelling Essence into them. Pheonix had stopped using Essence, she had only wished to make a bound vow so that was all she spent.

In the crater, not far from her, but still far enough from her anima to not take any burn damage from it, was a man and his horse. At least she assumed the horse was his. He wasn't looking at her, but towards one of the crater walls. So she followed his gaze to see another figure, at this distance Pheonix couldn't tell whether it was male or female, but she could see the loaded bow pointed towards the one in the crater with her.

Raising her voice so both would hear her.

"I sincerly hope neither of you are the Empress's lackeys, as I've run out of any hospitality and generorisity towards those that follow her blindly."

If one could see past the flame aura, they would see Lookshy's insignia on her armor. While Lookshy wasn't a part of the Realm, certain rules were always followed in the city. Those rules were hospitality towards all visitors and residents and to offer aid should anyone ask for it. This was enough in the past for the Realm to overlook the city's independance, but hadn't saved it from its present fate.

The tip of Aruna's arrow followed the man's every movement. His hands were raised but how was she to know he could not use some sort of odd magic? No one should be underestimated. The sun on the man's forehead caught her eye though and she slightly let down her guard, the string of the bow laxing against the arrow. However, he could be some demented solar that hunts down his own kind for the love of the empress. Slightly squeezing on her steed she put the arrow back in the quiver and slung her bow across her back. She kept her hands on the hilts of her short swords, as to not be in for any treats. 'There has been much death today sir.' she said, with a sense of power. Turning now to the figure in the distance she stopped a few meters away from the man's horse, 'I do not grub the ground for the empress' love. Yet, how do I know you do not, or that this man does not?' Her eyes shot to the man, green burning into brown, questioning him without words. Her own bangs hid her caste, he had been a fool to show his, as she could have been hunting solars. Her steed took a few steps to the side and a few more steps forward, as to make distance. She was in the middle of these two strangers but she had no doubt in her own ability.

Atlas laughed slightly, the harsh laugh of one who believes himself dead. He could hear the voice behind him, but the instant threat weighed more on his mind. The essence exerted to create the anima would have weakened the voice, and an arrow to the heart was more of a threat to him.

"Would the Empress" his voice took on a bitter tone when he said the word "really send in scouts, when the ground is still smoldering, and the air is still clouded with the ashes of those gone? Would she hunt down survivors, when doing so could endanger her scouts? There should be no survivors, and I doubt any will be left after tomorrow."

Turning to face the voice, he pulled Nimmo in front of him, using the dark mare to shield himself from any arrows that would come. It was a stand off, he had no doubt of that, and wanted nothing more than to be out of it. Retreating was not possible with the arrows, and his morning star lay abandoned on the ground only a few inches away. Bending down to get it would open him to an attack from the other person, whose weapon was unknown as of yet, and he doubted it was worth it. He would have to move quickly though, but his unarmed and vulnerable state worried him.

Making eye contact with the other women, he matched her gaze, something he'd never had a problem with doing. Although he'd probably avoid red haired women women with green eyes for a bit, had enough of them to last a life time. He doubted his would last much longer though

"I serve no Empress, nor army. I have no side in this."

In answer to the archer who had put away her bow and had ridden forward still prepared for a fight, Pheonix replied,

"Why would I care for an Empress that would would think so little of the lives of those she claims to protect?" Scorn and then anger laced her voice as she talked. "I served with Lookshy's army to defend it from threats. As a threat has emerged that destroyed the city I swore to protect, then there is only one thing I can do. Destroy that threat. The Scarlet Empress ordered this therefore she must pay for the crime of mass murder."

She turned to the man who had first approached catching a glimpse of golden light on his forehead. She appeared confused by his statement,

"The Empress hunts your kind as Anathema. Yet you claim to have no side? Surely, you'd be against those that would kill others just because of the fact they are different?" Like all Dragon-Blooded, Pheonix had been fed the religeous dogma that Solars/Lunars and such were Anathema, but as the Empress was head of that faith - Pheonix was not inclined to follow the words of one that committed such atrocities. Once she would have, and attempted to fight.

Edited by Takhesis

Aruna dropped her hands from her swords, but stayed upon her mount. She listened carefully to the woman and was rather delighted that neither of the people standing before her were out to kill, or, kill her at least. She turned again to the man and bellowed, 'Yes how have you no side? Do you not wish to protect your solar kind? To keep the ancestry of the sun's descendants alive? You being a coward and giving up your own life, as well as many others, is just as bad a crime as hunting down each solar yourself and bringing their heads to the empress' thrown room.' Anger had slipped into her voice, but there was reason behind it. What man would give up so much, so fast? Who would not even fight for their own kind? Attempting to regain her former self she rose her voice again, more to the woman now, 'I honour your fight lady. I too fight against the ghastly wench people are so keen to bow to. Though I have no army, I am on my own, or in a small group. I ask you have you ever heard of the Liotarix?' Liotarix was a group of trained killers, all having their own special ability. She was the assassin of the small resistance, and though the woman was not a solar that she could see, perhaps she knew of them.

Edited by Shur'turgal

"My father remained neutral, and so will I." Pride tainted Atlas' voice, although the sorrow he felt was quickly fading into the bleak abandonment that consumed him. "Would another struggle for power benefit the country? The land needs time to heal, to grow, too much blood has been split, for another group to fight for power, believing they are right. If you keep your head down, you'll survive. "

Switching his gaze between the two women, Atlas' annoyance grew. Only yesterday, mortals had died, slaughtered, by beings too powerful for them to stand a chance against. And now, they wanted to create more conflict? If peace remained, then there would be a higher chance of survival then if they were led to their deaths in a hopeless quest for power, for control, when the other side had the same right to rule. What if the celestial abused their power, striking out against those who they had once been victims of?

"I'm a coward then."

((Technically the Solars have more right to rule than the Dragon-Bloods. The Dragon-Blooded stole that at the end of the First Age, in a period known as the Usurpation.))

"I have heard of the Liotarix." Pheonix replied, "Even though they have never been inside the walls of Lookshy to my knowledge."

Glancing at the man, Pheonix said, "Many have died already, but do we not owe it to them to see that the perpetrator is brought to justice?" She paused searching for words, "Perhaps you may not choose to attack, yet I see your weapon on the ground. Why do you bear a weapon if you choose not to use it?"

Edited by Takhesis

Aruna waited for the woman to speak to herself and the man before replying, 'We do not enter cities as a group, only as individuals, though I mean not to belittle your infantry's protection of the city.' Of course, she had been in and out of the city of Lookshy many times. As did her network of spies, and a few other members of Liotarix. Shifting her gaze to the man she could not help but agree with the woman, 'Yes why do you dawn a weapon when you have no intention of killing? I also do not speak of solars ruling, even if they are the rightful royalty. Like this woman has said, do you not strive for justice? To rid our land of an evil rule? You claim you are a coward, by my definition, yet without the will to fight you are more than coward, you are fool.' Hopping off her mount she walked to the man, stalking around him she went to the place where his weapon lay upon ash of body and building. Picking up the weapon she walked back to her horse, inspecting it. 'One who has no cause does not carry such a weapon as this, so, what is your cause?'

((Nice little order of posts we've got going here tongue.gif ))

"Because we both have shiny marks on our forehead, I owe them something? No. I owe nothing to anyone."

Reaching up, he drew his hood, shadowing his face, and blocking the sun that shone across his forehead. Hoisting himself up onto his horse, he started planning an exit route. The crater was flat and deserted, if any enemies were near, they could of seen them from miles away.

"I'm now a fool? And if I say I am I fool, what will I then become? I fight when I have a cause, and I see no cause but petty disputes over power. My cause will always be to protect my family. Starting another war will endanger them further. Would you not carry a weapon in these times? I had no idea peace and death were synonymous."

((Yep, unintentional maybe but it works tongue.gif. just trying to work out how to bring Web into this discussion. Dace is a canon character from the Exalted Sourcebooks, so not mine))

"Individuals, as well as groups would not have been stopped from entering." Pheonix said, "Unless they had caused trouble for Lookshy before. The city was run on old principles of hospitality."

Turning to the mounted man, "Peace and death are not always synonymous, but a city/person unprepared for war would face death faster than those that fight for survival. Although you do remind me of Dace. He didn't like unessessary violence, yet he still led the Bronze Tigers - a mercenary company out of Nexus."

"I must admit to some surprise when I found out he was a Solar and had a Dragon-Blood as his second. But I grew to respect them both."

Edited by Takhesis

Aruna nodded politely to the woman, as she could add no more to their conversation. Instead she looked back to the man on his horse and asked, 'Where is your family now?' Gesturing around she continued, 'I see only you here, has the empress taken them from you?' Her tone was a little softer than she had liked, but this man had proven his cause and it was a good one. Grunting she pulled herself back up onto her horse and rode closer to the man, holding out his sword for him. She looked to the woman and asked, 'Do you seek to travel and find the empress? If yes would you like to come along with me and my people?' Looking again to the man by her side she said, 'You too may come, though I do not know if you will find what you need among us.' A slight breeze blew ruffling the cloak that lay across her back, as well as the bangs that hid her face. A sliver of golden light shone through the slits of crimson locks in that moment, and she prayed he had not seen.

Pheonix replied, "I know where the Empress resides - in the Imperial Manse that lies at the base of Mount Meru. The only problem I foresee is the boat travel to the Blessed Isle. However I would not object to travelling with others."

Pheonix surprised herself with her agreement to travel with those that would have been considered enemies. Her anima was still bright, but had lost some of its definition. As she spoke, another horse and rider came into veiw.

"It seems we may have company...." she said softly.

----------

Web had reached the edge of the crater that was once Lookshy. Her eyes could hardly believe what they beheld. The Essence Lines of the area felt somewhat familiar to her, yet they shouldn't - for this was the land of living, not that of the dead she travelled in.

"So much destruction.... and death." Web murmured, slipping from her horse.

Taking the sword, the man retreated a little, taking a safe distance from the others, but still watching.

"Dace sounds like a good man, although I question the morals of mercenaries. If you must fight in a war, it should be for the side you believe in, not for the one that can pay the most gold."

Reining Nimmo closely, Atlas considered the archer's offer. He was sure they would be hunting for survivors soon, and companions would allow him a faster, safer journey. Besides, if either of the women here died, he would feel guilty, as if he should have done something more. They had all survived, one way or another, and the common trait would always join them in some way, whether it was a curse was yet to be discovered.

"My father burnt in the fires, although my mother and sister remain safe." He was careful not to give out their location, fearful that someone might be listening, or someone in plain sight would be betray him. He didn't know them.

"I would wish travel with you until we reached sheltered terrain." Atlas replied, hoping he wasn't being too forward. "For the record, its Atlas. My name."

Turning round at the comment, Atlas saw the rider incoming, and prepared his weapon, looking for shelter and working out his odds of winning at the same time.

"Scouts..."

'Good, I am glad to accept both of you among my ranks, but know that treachery is not tolerated.' She gave them a soft smile and added, 'I am Aruna, what of your name lady?' Though, Aruna waited for no answer as the woman's warning finally hit her. Looking up she saw a figure standing beside what was obviously a horse. Hissing quietly she took her bow from her back and nocked an arrow. Urging on her horse she started a slow trot to the edge of the crater and howled out like a wolf. Aiming she raised her voice and proclaimed, 'Identify yourself, or you will be taken down.' Normally she would be a little less on edge, but they were standing in a crater that used to be a great city, naturally precautions seemed necessary.

Pheonix replied as she kept a careful eye on the rider, judging the distance between her and the crater.

"I'm Pheonix, a lieutenant of the 7th legion. Even if it is now defunct."

----------

"I am known as Web of Inevitable Descent. Though Web is what I usually use." The rider at the edge of the crater replied.

"And yourself? What name do you go by?" There was no challenge in the voice, just a simple question.

Riding up, Axis approached the new rider, running his eyes up and down her for hidden weapons, sudden movements. Slowly rotating his right hand, he started some momentum, preparing his morningstar to attack. He doubted this...'Web'... was there in the explosion, so had not been targeted by the Empress, so was yet to be trusted.

Sighing slightly, he advanced towards her. He wanted to leave this crater, get to shelter, and start the journey home. There was no doubt in his mind that they would be hunting down survivors soon, and if this women could make it here, how far away could others be?

"Welcome to Lookshy." His voice took on a cynical term, as the only welcome given here was the rest of death, which had taken so many less than a night ago. "Why are you here, and where did you come from?"

Web turned to look at Atlas as he approached.

"I was hoping to find sanctuary within Lookshy's walls. I'm trying to aviod a Deathlord, the Shadow of Cities. I was also hoping to get a warning out to Lookshy and Nexus. 2 Deathlords are planning an alliance." She paused, "I assume you're familiar with what happened at Thorns?"

"Thorns..." Atlas thought about it, caressing the word carefully. "Can't say I am. Although I've never really kept track on the dealings of this world." He carried on rotating the morning star, although the speed had stopped increasing. "And what business would you have with a Deathlord?"

Turning to the other two, "We should move to sheltered ground. Its too vulnerable here."

Web replied, "I'm avoiding Deathlords as they are hazardous to my health, as well as to others. I accidently stumbled into his domain and saw the plans. Now I'm hunted by those that serve him." Not quite a lie, but not the entire truth either.

-----

Pheonix agreed with Atlas about heading to sheltered grounds, but the mention of Thorns really spurred her into action.

"Thorns was taken in a siege by a Deathlord known as Mask of Winters. He had Exalts with him - with similar abilities as those of Solars. Many Dragon-Blood were killled in the cities defence." She glared at Web,

"Are you implying that Lookshy and Nexus were to face the same fate as Thorns? As you can see, Lookshy has already met its death."

Edited by Takhesis

A spark lit up in Atlas' eyes, and although he was trying not to get involved, he wouldn't let people die. No honourable person could do that, and even if Web's lead turned out to be false, it would be a place to lie low for a bit until he could return home... No. He wouldn't lie low in a place which had been identified as a risk zone, specially by the same person who had known about Lookshy. Glad he lived in a village too small to be attacked, he attempted to reassure himself, but he wanted nothing more than to return.

"Then Nexus is next." He wondered how the others would react to this, but he spoke anyway. "We should head there." He knew he was pushing his luck a bit, as near death experiences tended not to end well, but if they could even evacuate a little.

Aruna hung back a bit, her horse standing like a mountain goat half way up the crater wall. She was still suspicious of this woman, it did not seem like her Deathlord story was completely truthful. Aruna nodded to Atlas, voting o find more covered ground. When she heard Pheonix behind her she reluctantly stuck her orchalium bow on her back. Plucking her reins from her steeds neck she urged him to the top of the crater at a canter. Aruna looked from Pheonx to Web, 'Yes, are you saying that Deathlords are on the rise and intend to destroy cities? You have said that two Deathlords are teaming up, but what exactly does that mean?' Just then a symphony of howls rose up to match her own, and figures rode ou tof the distance surrounding the group. Men garbed in black and white sat upon mighty steeds. A single man held a red flag above his head with the face of a majestic lion embroidered into it. All had weapons of their own. maces, swords or axes. Some carried shields, others did not. One man gave her a slight nod and she smiled to him, turning to Pheonix and Atlas she said, 'Our travel mates.'

((Edited cause I mucked it up))

Edited by Shur'turgal

"Well, one Deathlord has already taken a city." Web replied, "One of the Deathlords has the army, but the other is more interested in knowledge. From what I read of the plans, the knowledge-seeker is planning to bolster the other's army, with the aim of turning the whole of the East into a shadowland. From there, its not a far stretch to assume they'll want to spread over the rest of Creation."

((Shadowlands being the easiest points to travel between Creation and the Underworld. Rather dangerous places to be if you're living.))