angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

Yeaaaah, definitely not getting how this suggestion would help newbies "understand" the game.

I've never liked this suggestion, but I could live with it if the default was "no breeding with my scroll, any dragon, no!" and that was made perfectly clear by whatever manner.

I just... I guess I've turned into one of those "things were so simple back when" people. I became obsessed with DragonCave because of the way it works: you grab an egg, you get it enough stats to grow, it eventually becomes an adult, and when you do this enough, you have adult dragons you can breed to produce even more dragons. Sure, it might take awhile to grab a specific breed of dragon, but... DC, at it's core, is fairly simple.

When you get into breeding with other people's scrolls, you open up this whole different world, and it's no longer about being patient enough to catch the dragons you want. It's about being lazy/greedy enough to find a scroll with all those rare dragons, and say "hey, I want those!".

And this, from the OP:

Although... there'd be an option when you first submit a request/accept a request asking "If breeding is successful, would you like to try to claim the egg?" If one person selects yes and the other no, the yes person gets the egg. If both select yes, it's the 50/50. If for some bizarre reason both select no, it heads to the AP. If one person is egglocked, it acts the same way as selecting a no answer. If both people select yes but one is egglocked, the non-egglocked person will recieve the egg. If both people select yes but both are egglocked, it will head to the AP.

Just makes it way, way too complicated. Why is there a need for it to be so complicated? We just don't need this.

When you get into breeding with other people's scrolls, you open up this whole different world, and it's no longer about being patient enough to catch the dragons you want.

A whole different world? Hardly. You don't have to be patient to get the dragons you want right now anyways, not with trading and gifting and AP catching.

It's about being lazy/greedy enough to find a scroll with all those rare dragons, and say "hey, I want those!".

You can do that now. Find someone with rare dragons, ask them to breed offspring for you.

"Oh, but they would need your forum name to do that."

And if you have the 'No breed request' option checked, same thing applies.

Just makes it way, way too complicated. Why is there a need for it to be so complicated? We just don't need this.

...There is nothing complicated about that. At all. It's basically taking the same concept that applies to breeding right now.

1. If someone's egglocked they cannot get an egg. It goes to the other person if they wanted it. If they didn't want it, the egg auto-abandons.

2. If you're not egglocked, you get the egg. Dice roll if the other person wants it too.

3. If you don't want the egg, it can go to the other person if they wanted it. If not, it auto-abandons. Exactly like #1.

And here's the current, single-scroll breeding for comparison:

1. If you're egglocked, you get no egg. Auto-abandons.

2. If not egglocked, you get the egg.

3. If you don't want it, you can get rid of it.

And helping you - if there is a dragon you specially want - there are any number of gifting threads where people will breed them for you. There;s no need to breed with another scroll to get what you want.

I am very fond of my male CB Silver. I have no CB female Silver and would like to breed one to my CB male Silver for 2nd gen PB. No one else can gift me that. Instead of waiting the next nine years for me to catch another CB Silver, I can take a gamble and search around for someone who would be willing to breed their CB female Silver to mine. This is a gamble because I am neither guaranteed an egg should one be bred (if the other person wants it), and the success chance would be lower than if I had bred from my own scroll. There is still a huge benefit to me for catching a CB Silver because of this, and my desire to have another CB Silver would not be diminished due to cross-scroll breeding.

(feel free to correct me if I got some of the details of this feature incorrect. It's been a while)

If someone wants to gift me a 2nd gen PB Silver egg though, then feel free. Lol =)

I'm a 'newbie' (been on this game for a little over a month.)

It's not exactly that difficult to understand - dragcave is a remarkable game in that it's relatively simple, yet complex enough to have lots of appeal.

I feel like breeding across scrolls would kinda... I don't know. Change the game too much. I've been on games where the community mood fluctuates a lot and gets really competitive, and I can just see that happening to dragcave if this was introduced. I LOVE having a game where I can just quietly manage my own scroll and projects, and everyone just does the same. I just don't like the idea of breeding between scrolls, although I guess I can see why other people might want it...

I'm torn on this one because I agree with elements of both posts directly above. It'd be cool to have and give potential access to others' dragons - there's a lot of mine I breed only when someone asks for something special or I want to wrangle a trade, so it'd be an efficient way not to 'waste' those breeding possibilities if someone's interested.

Then too, it'd be an easy form of gifting where you'd only have to wait for one dragon to come off cooldown afterward.

On the other hand, there is a certain charm to the relative solitude of the cave. I enjoy interacting with other DCers on the forum, but in the cave we don't really have a messaging system for anything, currently. Trades are set up through the forum or fan sites - they literally cannot be arranged solely through the cave - and users can be as anon as they want thanks to scroll settings. Can't speak for TJ here, but I do think that kind of user interaction within the cave itself would be an immense change even if it's an opt-in kind of thing.

Then again, I was here both before and after BSAs came along, particularly Teleport, and that wasn't the end of the world lol.

I'm a 'newbie' (been on this game for a little over a month.)

It's not exactly that difficult to understand - dragcave is a remarkable game in that it's relatively simple, yet complex enough to have lots of appeal.

I feel like breeding across scrolls would kinda... I don't know. Change the game too much. I've been on games where the community mood fluctuates a lot and gets really competitive, and I can just see that happening to dragcave if this was introduced. I LOVE having a game where I can just quietly manage my own scroll and projects, and everyone just does the same. I just don't like the idea of breeding between scrolls, although I guess I can see why other people might want it...

Yes ! Yes I know the default would (presumably) be off.

But

I LOVE having a game where I can just quietly manage my own scroll and projects, and everyone just does the same.

THIS is what I like about it. If we DO want to make contact we have to go through the forums. In the forums we get to have some idea of who we are dealing with, and all the generosity thing kicks in. I don't know that I want someone I've never heard of ogling my dragons for a potential mate. Well, I do know that I don't !

We have players who come to the cave, but never enter the forums. We have players who have different scroll and forum names to preserve their privacy. We have players with matching scroll and forum names who don't mind some interaction between their scroll and their forum activities.

The way it is now, we can control how much interaction we want to participate in.

In my opinion this would change the game to a degree that I am not comfortable with. I would prefer to gift an egg from a selected pairing to loaning one of my dragons to another player, and since my scroll name matches my forum name, anyone who wanted to make such a request, could do so no matter how my scroll was set.

Yes ! Yes I know the default would (presumably) be off.

But

THIS is what I like about it. If we DO want to make contact we have to go through the forums. In the forums we get to have some idea of who we are dealing with, and all the generosity thing kicks in. I don't know that I want someone I've never heard of ogling my dragons for a potential mate. Well, I do know that I don't !

Fuzz, with the option automatically turned off, they would have to contact you for cross scroll breeding requests in the same exact way they pester you now--by contacting you through the forums. Being asked via forum for you to turn on breeding requests to, say, your Holly is no different than someone asking you via forum to just breed said Holly yourself for them. This suggestion would not make it any easier for people to badger one another than it already is. Don't want to deal with bothering? Then hide your scroll name--exactly as you might do in the current system if people wouldn't leave you alone.

@Raindear: I can only say this so many times, but the default is changed to OFF. With it turned to off, the only way people can bother you is by stalking you down on the forums and PMing you--which they can already do to ask for you to breed your own dragons for them. If you turn off both breeding requests and your scroll name, it is literally impossible for people to bother you either way unless they already knew which dragons you had. You would have every bit as much control over your interactions with this system as you do in the current.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Yes I know. But I still don't like what it will START ! and I cannot see the need.

I don't agree.

Right now, I can receive requests for eggs through pm. I respond to these requests basically depending on how they are worded. I simply ignore those I consider rude. I would have to change the way my scroll is presently set, or change my name or do some other presently unnecessary step to prevent getting pms asking to use my dragons for someone else's breeding. If I did that to prevent getting this type of request, it would also affect the ability for me to get the requests I don't object to.

My dragons are mine, and I don't intend to share them in the same way that I am willing to share the eggs from them.

I am against this, and will remain so.

In my opinion this would change the game to a degree that I am not comfortable with.

This.

You can talk all you want about how the default will be "off", how people can already contact you via PM and beg/ask, etc, but breeding between scrolls *changes* the in-cave game in a *big* way. No matter how you want to spin it.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see an alt sweetling bred with a regular one, or a multi color snow angel bred with a gold one?

It could be useful for breeding more 2nd gen metal x metal or 2nd gen from discontinued dragons too. Old pink x old pink or frill would be sooo much easier to get.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see an alt sweetling bred with a regular one, or a multi color snow angel bred with a gold one?

It could be useful for breeding more 2nd gen metal x metal or 2nd gen from discontinued dragons too. Old pink x old pink or frill would be sooo much easier to get.

Interesting - maybe.

Necessary - no.

Something I want to see happen - double no.

Yes, I get why some people want this. And they are saying all the reasons why it wouldn't bother me and I don't have to do it and the rest. But it would. Just because you (generic) want it and I don't have to do it (yet) doesn't change the fact that there ARE aspects of the game that would change. And any change of this kind inevitably affects the whole game in the end.

As for 2nd gen metals - get yourself another CB. I am still trying for a CB gold... I have a pair of CB silvers (it took me ages and some luck.) They haven't REFUSED, but there's no more likelihood that one of them would breed with someone else's than that it will breed with its mate on my scroll.

Until TJ decides to implement egg production by same gender breeding it isn't going to happen for sweetlings or snow angels or old pinks.

Until TJ decides to implement egg production by same gender breeding it isn't going to happen for sweetlings or snow angels or old pinks.

GOOD POINT !!! (MAN I am dim !)

ohmy.gif Burst my bubble!

Oh well, it was just a random not too well thought out thought. I don't much care one way or the other, was just kinda daydreaming about possibilities. Guess I should go for that second cup of coffee to clear the cobwebs, lol.

Also, I've been trying to get a couple of cave bred rares for a little while, and while it is frustrating I can just see it being so much more rewarding if I can actually snag one from the cave or AP pile, or trade it. I feel like cross-scroll breeding would make it almost... too easy? I just know I wouldn't get the same satisfaction from breeding a rare egg... I feel like that entire concept might actually skew the egg rarity.

And yeah, I know that this would be an optional thing, but I play games with breeding between users and I just.... don't want dragcave to be that way. I just... don't. Maybe it's difficult to explain, but I would like the feel and community of this game to remain the same for some time.

I feel like that entire concept might actually skew the egg rarity.

^this, too^

I'm not really in support of this, but if it were to be implemented, I think the chance of getting an egg should be lowered. And maybe a much higher chance of refusals because the dragons are on different scrolls? I don't know, but I don't think that breeding between scrolls should become the normal thing to do, but more of a last resort.

Egg rarity would not be skewed. People are going to breed their rares one way or another, in most cases. Being able to breed with someone else won't produce any more rares than would breeding solo.

You can talk all you want about how the default will be "off", how people can already contact you via PM and beg/ask, etc, but breeding between scrolls *changes* the in-cave game in a *big* way. No matter how you want to spin it.

So, what I'm reading is "you can talk about all the ways this feature would not be a big change and alter the way people choose to play their game, but it doesn't matter because it would still be a big change."

It sounds to me like the only thing being spun is the strangely persistent idea of how 'drastic' this would change the game and 'force' people to play different. Even though it's already been gone over many a times how it's not drastic, not forcing different play styles, not affecting rarity, and so on.

However, after sitting back for a moment and pondering this, I remembered that some people simply do not like change at all-- in any form-- and will resist against it no matter what facts may be put forth. For this I can agree that there is no resolution. In respect to the OP, I'm going to stop pseudo-spamming the thread by replying to concerns that have been already addressed, and will try to only post if it concerns a healthy, useful discussion about this possible feature. I really do hope to see this implemented into the future cave in some form; for me it would be fun, creative, community building, and would make DC more interesting =)

It's optional *tick*

It sounds like fun *tick*

Not sure I like the idea about the fifty/fifty chance of getting the egg if you both want it. I prefer the idea of both getting an egg (heck our dragons used to produce up to four) but with success rates halved. Yes, this would mean if you're trying to breed two rares the chances of eggs would be minuscule, but then that's a plus in my opinion. They're rares for a reason.

I prefer the idea of both getting an egg (heck our dragons used to produce up to four) but with success rates halved. Yes, this would mean if you're trying to breed two rares the chances of eggs would be minuscule, but then that's a plus in my opinion. They're rares for a reason.

I agree with this ^.^

I support this. And it also opens up for people to make AWESOME lineages with awesome dragon parent names too. Since there are a lot of people who have awesome coded dragons and names.

Of Course. I would looove to be able to pick which dragons I allowed and have an option to ignore the more persistent people. Just a click away~