pudding

Okeanos War

~-~-~-~-~

@ Maus

~-~-~-~-~

Her lips parted into a wide grin, sharp teeth displayed in all their white menacing glory. "Good... That is what I wanted to hear." Resting a hand on his head, she would slowly pull away and circle him once before stopping.

"Now for formalities." Rising a bit out of the water to look down at her newly acquired friend, she would slowly bow her head, "I am Proïoxis, you may call me by my name, but you may also need to use the other unpleasant title when around certain individuals as I mentioned before..."

Something snagged her attention though, her orange eyes narrowing in focus as she suddenly swam passed him to something that was floating in the water. Eyeing it, a low hiss would escape her open jaws as she grabbed the strange object to discover that it was organic. And as her hand squeezed it, blood would drain from the small pores in it's torn surface...

In fact, it looked like a piece of flesh. Mermaid flesh that is...

"Hmmm..." Thinking, she would look back to Chaar, "I sure picked an interesting day to return to Atlantis... Humans came through here and from what I heard, killed quite a few of us..." Letting the material fall from her hand back into the water, she would jerk her head for Chaar to follow. "No doubt many of us are going to want to retaliate... I would like to see what flawless plans the others can come up with." Rolling her eyes at her own sarcasm, Proïoxis would dive back down, heading towards Atlantis, but would stop to glance back at Chaar....

He was a slower swimmer...

Edited by Lyxii

Faye swam calmly through the Atlantis and went into the town’s center. She smiled as the children came and begged her to sing. Pulling at her hands and hugging her tail; their voices jumbled as they spoke. She laughed her flat lips and slightly hinge mouth opening into a smile as she did. She replied smoothly “Of course young ones. What would you like to hear..?” She tilted her head her hair moving to the motion and slightly glowing in the light. One of the younger children a lionfish merboy who cleared his throat and spoke all too proudly. “A smoothing opera Faye!” The boy had grinned and climbed up into her arms which she held him close. She nodded “Of course.” She cleared her throat and her mouth opened showing her small but yet sharp perfect teeth. A loud tune came out of her mouth; which as soothing and sweet. She closed her eyes and continued as the children tried to join in. She smiled and slowly ended it. “How was that my children…?”

(drawing Faye and will give the image to ya Pudding~ Also can i have a spot in z-class...? O>O )

Edited by foxfairy34759

------------------

@ Lyxii

------------------

Chaar nodded at the mention of formalities, Crustaceans had very good memories. He stared at her for a moment "My name is Chaar..." The crustacean watched her inspect the hunk of flesh, he chuckled a little bit. "Well, I don't have any reason to hate humans," He poked the flesh "They're doing my job for me anyway". After an examination of the flesh, he started following her down to Atlantis, luckily, gravity helped, so he wasn't as slow as before.

When she stopped he quickly flew past her, gaining an advantage on her natural speed. "Hurry up, I'm not going to stop like you do."

~-~-~-~-~

@ Maus & Kyo & Pudding

~-~-~-~-~

His deep underlying hate for her kind actually gave Proïoxis an unsettling feeling in her stomach. Sure, her people should probably reconsider the reasoning behind this war with humans, but she never really wished death upon her people....or humans for that matter... Death was never something she wished upon anyone or anything actually, even if she did hate them...

Serious injury was another story however...

Watching Chaar dart passed her, the Mermaid would frown but say nothing as she followed behind him and then easily caught up. After all, she had stopped to make sure he was following and could keep up. It was just a kind gesture from her...

But then again, he seemed like a hateful individual. Even after their conversation above, Proïoxis would scold herself for thinking it would have changed anything. Especially with her relation with Chaar. He had no reason to be friendly at all... and it was then she began to wonder if her plan had backfired...

As they traveled through the city, Proïoxis would address him again, her voice monotone, "Not all of us are bad...those who fight are doing what they believe is right. No matter how silly it may seem to you and I. If you had been raised to believe half the things said about humans, I am sure you would grow up ignorant to the reality of it all..."

Noticing the Noble from before, Proïoxis would gracefully bank right after grabbing Chaar by the arm briefly to let him know she was changing direction. Coming up beside the other Mermaid, Proïoxis would lightly tap her on the shoulder to get her attention. This particular Noble, as observed before, displayed the attributes of a False Killer Whale. Though Proïoxis had seen her around many times before, they had never really interacted except for earlier. This time, she actually addressed Okanse face to face, "Do you know what actually happened?" The frantic gossip of what had happened earlier varied from individual to individual, but she had hoped that this other Noble had perhaps gained some truth...

It was then Proïoxis noticed the Princess, who also seemed to be injured by how she kept rubbing her eyes...

How strange...

"What happened to you...?" she would ask Lynn while remaining beside the other Noble. Furrowing her brows, Proïoxis would glance back at Chaar, wondering if he was paying attention as well. What did the humans do that could have killed so many of them so quickly? Her own curiosity would now drive her to find some answers...

Edited by Lyxii

Okase turned sharply to see the mermaid from earlier. "Humans, they sailed over Atlantis. I'm not sure on the details but I think it tried to attack the palace because it was right over it." The mermaid said to her, it was funny how she never really paid much attention to the other mermaids before now. She watched as she turned to Lynn and finally noticed how dazed she seemed to be. 'What really did happen there?' She thought to herself and clutched her staff a little harder, slightly feeling a dull poking feeling on her hand as she held the weapon tightly.

But this was why she really hated humans, they deserved what they have coming for them. They killed their queen. She was a nice woman and was very sweet. So she could understand where the king's anger was coming from.

Princess Lynne let out a small hiss as she drifted away from her father. Had mirrors been present in the Mermaid Kingdom, she could have peered into one to find her partially-open blue eyes were burning red as if she was suffering from a horrid case of pink eye. Is was probably just a side effect, though, and would go away soon. “They weren’t over, they were alarmingly close,” Lynne corrected softly. She was glad she had the ability to sense electromagnetic fields since it could take a while for her vision to recover. Although, that didn’t tell her who she was speaking to. Probably nobles since they had the gall to talk to her without addressing her by her title. “And they managed to do something to the water. I’m not sure what it was but it hurt my eyes and ears, as well as caused a massive… thing. As if a huge whale smacked its tail down on the water in an instant. Some mermaids died as well." Three mermaids. She had spoken to two already and the third was silent. Was it male or female? Her eyes were closed now so it was the perfect time to practice sensing the fields with her lateral line. If the humans managed to blind her forever, it would be useful to be able to use her lateral line instead of eyes so she didn't crash into things all the time. There still was the matter of things that did not give off a field that she could sense but she could sort that out later since she wasn't going to remain blinded for long. Hopefully, at least. It would be a pain to have to learn echolocation or something from a noble so she could 'see' rocks and such. If she could even accomplish such a thing, which Lynne seriously doubted.

"The humans also have stronger crafts. We couldn't even sink one of them..."

~-~-~-~-~

@ Maus & Kyo & Pudding

~-~-~-~-~

They did something to the water?

For the first time in years, Proïoxis felt a small spike of fear towards Humans. If they were capable of doing things to the water that could damage a Mermaid's eyes and ears, then what was to come next? Their weapons were advancing, and the Mermaids were stuck picking up the scraps of Humans when they got lucky. But swords and spears could do nothing against a weapon that could effect water, right?

Fidgeting uncomfortably, Proïoxis would give a weary glance to Okase. This was certainly not news she was expecting to hear, especially when the Princess stated they couldn't even sink the ships. Looking to Chaar again, and then back to Lynn, the Noble's fins that rested behind her ears would flare slightly in alarm, "That is impossible, how can they make something stronger than the material they have been using?" Her mind filled with thoughts now, trying to understand how a ship couldn't be sinkable by Mermaids. They had gotten good at their jobs, but now the Humans have gained yet another upper hand?

As much as she wanted to pry for more answers, it was probably time to tend to the Princess first. She was royalty and injured...

"Princess... Do you need help?" Slowly extending a hand forward, she waited to see if Lynn required assistance from both herself and the other Noble, Okase... But even as she offered the help, the Orca-Breed's stare drifted back to Chaar... a look of worry plastered on her face, but also something else hinted in her stare... it was an idea.

"If you don't mind me suggesting, Princess.... Perhaps we should play a little more defensively... Maybe we should go scout and figure out what we are up against now before anyone decides to attack them again...?" If the ships and humans had killed them so easily, maybe it was time to change the way they approached the situation. Sure, Proïoxis was neutral, but she also didn't want her species to go extinct. After all, Humans could now use the water - which was their own atmosphere - to destroy them. Something else also brought this idea to light. Proïoxis now desired to know what exactly could accomplish this, it was both terrifying and, in a disturbing way, fascinating.

Edited by Lyxii

Chaar was indeed a hateful creature, but you can't expect someone to just change at the blink of an eye. His entire species was rather abused and mistreated, you can't just expect an instant change with a single act of kindness. Chaar of all crustaceans would be the base of this rule. He had been promised freedom in the past, and it was denied to him. He had a reason to not trust her or the rest of her class.

He had reason to hate as well.

When pulled in another direction, he kept his mouth shut. He wasn't going to say anything around the nobles. They had no reason to speak to him, and he had no reason to speak to them. Chaar made sure to note the nobles he met, who knows, maybe remembering their names later might help. Of course, they hadn't said the-

Oh look, the princess.

Chaar could stand being around nobles, but he rather hated the royal family. Even the old queen, who seemed to become a martyr for every other race, was still seen as a villain in the eyes of the Crustaceans. Long ago, when Chaar was just a little spawn, he was told stories by an old Mantis Shrimp known as Getren. Getren told of times when his people were free.

Chaar always wondered how he had been forced into this.

He had always assumed it was the current Royal family's fault.

He would always.

They started talking about humans, and how they had developed a new way of making ships...new weapons too. He listened in, perhaps the information would be useful. Then the princess said there was a weapon designed to hurt the eyes and ears. Perhaps it was like his arm. Getren had always said his arm was powered by something called pressure.

Of course, Chaar kept this to himself. He didn't want to help.

Lynne wanted to snap back that she couldn't possibly have any idea how the humans managed to make practically indestructible ships but managed to bite her tongue and not yell at the noble offering to help her out. But honestly, how was she supposed to know? The material the boats were made of was foreign to Atlantis and she was hardly one to study humans and their building materials. All she cared about now was being able to resume sinking the ships again in revenge. "I think I'm fine," Lynne replied hesitantly, her tail flicking back and forth against a light current that constantly flowed through Atlantis. "I think you are right. Although my father would much rather just attack without any sort of caution, I think we need to be smarter about this. The humans are getting smarter and we need to keep up with them. Or, at least find out how to sink their stronger ships. They have to have a weakness."

Deciding to try and figure out who the third presence was she was sensing, Lynne cracked her eyes open again. Blurry, unrecognizable shapes came into view and slowly grew more clear. An Orca noble with some sort of strange lure, another noble and... a crustacean? Was it a slave? Most likely since it was just lurking around quietly. Blinking her eyes a bit, she turned to look at the Orca Mermaid she had decided was much smarter than her father, even though she would never admit it to him or her. At least she had the sense to suggest logical things instead of just an all-out attack with no defense. It was just sink as many ships as possible. That didn't work.

"Why don't you scout with me?" Lynne asked softly. Although it sounded like a question, it was more of an order. Scouts had to be fast and Killer Whales were certainly capable of reaching high speeds, like her. That was required in scouting, since scouts needed to be able to sneak up very fast and retreat just as fast.

(( Hey Pudding, I wasn't sure if you saw my message in the OOC, so I'll ask it here too. I see a lot of people with reserved spots that have yet to show up in either thread. Are you going to message them? Also, how is your hand? ))

~-~-~-~-~

@ Maus & Kyo & Pudding

~-~-~-~-~

Letting her arm fall back down to her side when Lynn denied her aid, Proïoxis would tilt her head at the Princess. The condition of her eyes didn't look good at all. She herself couldn't imagine not being able to see, even if echolocation was an option. Afterall, what was a life without being able to see color?

Hopefully the side effects of this strange water weapon weren't going to permanently damage the youngest member of the royal family. That would certainly not be good for either side of this war... but there was some hope.

The Princess seemed to have a level head, unlike her father. Lynn had acknowledged the her suggestion... but Proïoxis was quick to regret it when Lynn asked her to come on the scouting mission. Though it was worded like a question, the Noble caught the Princess' drift. She was going on that scouting mission whether she wanted to or not. And the Mermaid's ears would droop slightly at this realization.

"Give me a moment to gather my things... It will only take a few minutes, but I will meet you back here..." her reply would come in a very low tone as she slowly turned and headed off, a clawed hand gently brushing Chaar's arm in a silent gesture asking him to follow. If she was going very far away from Atlantis she was going to need her own weapons. So she left Lynn with Okase for now.

Proïoxis' worries quickly drifted towards Chaar... He wasn't a fast swimmer, but she couldn't leave him behind here in Atlantis...

After traveling for a few moments, they would reach a smaller area of the Noble's section of Atlantis. Carved intricately in the reef and Corals was Proïoxis' home, or rather, property. It was here she kept most of her belongings... but most were gone now that Chaar had been purchased...

"I want you to come with me... if that is okay with you... I would feel bad if I left you behind..." Proïoxis would float there, her ears drooped slightly as her shoulders sagged... Eventually those glowing orange eyes would rise to her new companion.

She was... worried... about him. Even though a Noble probably shouldn't even care about their Slave....she did. Proïoxis had made him a promise. "It's up to you though..." He would be given his first freedom of choice now. There were no catches, no demands, and no expectations. He could either choose to stay behind in Atlantis, or go with the the Mermaid, and neither choice would be right or wrong or carry any penalty.

Pardus swam slowly through the ocean, just under the surface. Beside her swam Argentum, a bottle-nosed dolphin. Argentum was Pardus' best friend, her only friend. Long ago she had had her mother, and after she escaped she would meet a few other mermaids, but she never stuck around with them. The middle of the ocean, far away from Atlantis was a lonely place. That was the place that Pardus had lived in for a few years, before she got the urge to go closer to Atlantis to learn things about the war.

It was almost harder to find news in the open ocean.

Outside of Atlantis, there was much less slavery. Much less name-calling, much less hatred of different ranks. Survival was what everyone wanted, not someone to be mean to. Most of them knew what it felt like to be cast aside as a outsider, ridiculed, treated as if their only importance was slavery. Even the S-Class mermaids that weren't royalty weren't allowed inside Atlantis. Of course, some mermaids were born there and didn't want to leave, in which case they usually weren't brought up to hate the Z-Class, and some mermaids just chose to live outside of Atlantis, and those ones usually just wanted to be left alone.

Atlantis and the surrounding area were much more dangerous. The wrong move could get Pardus captured to go back into her life of slavery, with Argentum sold to someone else, and then her one friend would be gone.

Pardus hated being a slave. There was no freedom, no stimulation, just going out and doing a slow, boring task all day. Or being hurt to make you move faster. It depended on how kind the master was. At least, that was the kind of slavery Pardus was used to. There were many other things that Z-Class mermaids were used for, like a multipurpose tool. It was horrible. All of the mermaids that they couldn't fit into one of the other classes was forced into the Z-Class and a life of slavery or solitude in the open ocean.

Pardus wished that she could call the open ocean, away from Atlantis her home, but it never was. A great place to hunt in and to get away from crowds, but it wasn't a home. Not to her, anyway. Pardus didn't have a home. The ocean had nothing permanent for her, and Atlantis was where she was a slave.

Pardus hadn't been this close to Atlantis in years. Only about ten more miles, and then she would reach the outer edge, where the pheasants lived. It was dangerous. Even now, she could be ambushed, and all she had for defense was a spear and a few knives. She didn't even have a net. All of the kelp that she had when she escaped, which wasn't much because she and Argentum needed to move fast, had been sold or used a long time ago.

She stopped and looked around. No one in sight, but she still had to be alert. Watching, watching, constant vigilance, swimming, swimming, fleeing, leaving.