Princess Kiara

[dc] Tag for Posting Dragons

Hello! I did a quick search and couldn't find anything like this; if it's already been suggested, please feel free to delete it, mods smile.gif

I don't know how many of you are on Dragon Breeder Caves (aka the Dragon Swamp). I don't recommend going there (if you want to know why exactly, PM me-suffice it to say the staff took something from me without my knowledge or consent), but their forum does have some nifty little tools. Like the [dc] tag.

Let me explain how this might work. Instead of posting the whole BBCode, you could type [dc]dragon's code[/dc] and it would post a clickable image of the dragon in question, leading to its lineage page.

Of course there would have to be restrictions on its use. I propose the following-feel free to suggest any more though:

-You can only post [dc]'s to your own dragons, not anyone else's.

-You can only post [dc]'s in Site Discussion and Trading.

For example, the BBCode for a picture with link to my messy Silver would look like this:

[dc]q0FO[/dc]

And the result of this code would be:

user posted image

Only it would use DC's /img code and not tinyURL tongue.gif

Please let me know what you think!

Happy Caveing!

-PK.

Edited by Princess Kiara

Oooh. This seems both very cool and very convenient. I like! Although the tag would need to provide a link that goes to the dragon's lineage page as opposed to just their view page, but I imagine that could be managed.

Didn't quite think of that. I'll edit that into the first post. Thanks angelicdragonpuppy!

Ideally it would somehow use a generic image that would match that of your dragon so it can't give views. That way it doesn't circumvent the "can't post your dragons here" thing.

Ideally it would somehow use a generic image that would match that of your dragon so it can't give views. That way it doesn't circumvent the "can't post your dragons here" thing.

Once upon a time (I think in the thread suggesting new smilies?) it had been mentioned that having smilies for all the different dragon forms would be really helpful, especially in the trading threads. Perhaps there's a way to combine these two things into one sweet reality?

Every single form? That's 4 for every non-dimorphic dragon and 6 for every dimorphic one, and that's not counting color morphs. o.o

Dragons already have an image that doesn't provide views, it's what is used on the "Dragons" page when you're logged in, so that dragon's don't gain views.

Adults have a set .png file used for all of them.

The image for the adult bronze tinsel, for example, is "jeHV.png" - for all of them.

Growing eggs and hatchlings on the other hand have a file called 1.gif - the file is different for each growing dragon, such that the full URL ends with CODE/1.gif where CODE is the code of the dragon

This filename system ALSO works for adults, although the cave itself doesn't use it.

Perhaps there's some way to tap into the non-view-generating system the cave already has, provided it does not cause any contribution to site lag.

Wow, that idea might work, SolarCat!

This would be so useful. Thanks for suggesting, Kiara!

Adults have a set .png file used for all of them.

The image for the adult bronze tinsel, for example, is "jeHV.png" - for all of them.

Little technical sidenote(s):

It may be worth noting that the URL for the static images is .../images/... and not .../image/... as it will be if you view the image associated with a specific code.

Those images also exist for eggs and hatchlings, by the way. For eggs, take a look at the abandoned page; e.g. .../images/ei4H.gif is the image for earth dragon eggs. smile.gif That's also why sometimes when you pick an egg up from the AP, it 'suddenly' gets cracks - it had them all along, but the AP page itself uses only uncracked egg images.

It's definitely interesting. I'd almost prefer dragons as emotes (in a seperate box than the other smilies), though, because it seems easier and then people could get the dragon images that they don't own. We did have a suggestion on that, but I'm too tired to seek it out right now.

However, I also don't really see anything wrong with the current method. x3

Well, for one thing, it's easier to type [dc]q0FO[/dc] than [*url=blah blah blah][*img]blah blah blah[/*img][/*url] tongue.gif

I support, because that would be easier to type. 8D

Thanks all!...Hopefully TJ will see fit to implement it! smile.gif

Thanks all!...Hopefully TJ will see fit to implement it! smile.gif

Let's hope, otherwise I'll be bummed. |D;

Well, for one thing, it's easier to type [dc]q0FO[/dc] than [*url=blah blah blah][*img]blah blah blah[/*img][/*url] tongue.gif

I like this idea better than the DC images for the forum, thought the [dc] tag wouldn't work. Instead there could be a third option when getting the code for your dragon "for use on dragoncave forum board" where it's just a lineage link with an image in place of the view link with an image.

user posted image

This would also solve another problem of having a lineage link for CB dragons since some people seem to want them. Though the lineage view could be used anywhere that supports bbc code so the parenthesis aren't necessary.

Please, implement this, tj. o3o;. I'd want this so badly, because I never add images because it's so obnoxious.

It's not, if you understand basic HTML...however, it would be very non-tedious this way. And it should work, since it worked at DBC Forums...

I would really like this! I like the small dragon pics that we already have, the ones that don't give views. Fully support this!

I can definitely agree with this! it's hard work to get the pics of eggs on to a site where i can post them here with the lineage links...

This isn't a bad idea smile.gif

Im all for it.

People might argue that it's "lazy" "Why can't you just do it the way we do it now" kind of thing. But lots of people don't understand how it works and it takes a while to get the hang of.

You know how when you add a reply you can click the quote button to quote a paragraph? It could work the same way as long as you add the dragons lineage code. /or something like that

It's not, if you understand basic HTML...however, it would be very non-tedious this way. And it should work, since it worked at DBC Forums...

I do understand basic html. The code function on an <html> tag. A tag such as [dc] does not exist and cannot exist unless programs are coded to read it and they are not. Also the forums can only read bbc code to begin with and that can't be changed.

Hmm, wonder how they did it on DBC then...?

Maybe DBC uses html rather than bb code ?

Shame that format would be a hindrance for this idea's implementation (or what it sounds like from some of the later posts). Usually I avoid adding images to my trading posts because it's too cumbersome grabbing the image url, putting it in an image tag and then adding a URL tag to it as well. .w.

This would make things more convenient so I support. Or even something similar to this that would work with the way the forum is set out or whatevs.