BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2012

The first book of the new Challenge season i here...

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 279

Book Title: Dubliners

Author: James Joyce

Summary: A collection of 15 short stories that have nothing in common, except that they depict the lives of the Dublin people.

Okay, I just thought that it would because of this on the first post:

Good thing I started another one immediately! laugh.gif

I can see how that can be confusing. I'll try to explain it clearer:

Rule 5 says that: If you've just started a book, or are half way through one when you begin the challenge, then that will count towards your total.

You begin the challenge the moment you sign up if that happens during or after August 1st. If you sign up before August 1st, you begin the challenge at August 1st.

I hope it is clearer now smile.gif

Also, updated to here.

Sign me up as well, please.

Though I don't really like that part with the summary, lol.

Book Number:1

Number Of Pages:296

Book Title:Journey to the river sea

Author:Eva Ibbotson

Summary:Journey to the river sea is about this girl name Maia who is an orphan who goes to the Mayfair Academy For Young Ladies when one day she finds out the she is going to the Amazon river( which is in Brazil) where her aunt, uncle and two cousins are living. When she get there she finds out that life in the Amazon may not be has nice has she thinks

Number Of Pages: 472

Book Title: The hunger games: Catching fire

Author: Suzanne Collins

Rating: 10/5 tongue.gif

Number Of Pages: 472

Book Title: The hunger games: Catching fire

Author: Suzanne Collins

Rating: 10/5

You have to write a summery

Could I sign up?

Number Of Pages: 211

Book Title: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book The Third, The Wide Window

Author: Lemony Snicket

Summary: Inside this book, three orphans named Voilet (the oldest), Klaus (middle child), and Sunny (the baby) are sent off to thier Aunt Josephine's house to live. Of course, as the series title hints, several unfortunate events take place in Aunt Josephine's house and the lake under and besides it.

Now to find the fourth book....

Number Of Pages: 551

Book Title: Engler og Demoner (re-read)

Author: Dan Brown

Summary: Robert Langdon is contacted after a brutal murder at CERN. After this, he finds himself involved in dramatic incidents involving the Vatican and Illuminati.

I can see how that can be confusing. I'll try to explain it clearer:

Rule 5 says that: If you've just started a book, or are half way through one when you begin the challenge, then that will count towards your total.

You begin the challenge the moment you sign up if that happens during or after August 1st. If you sign up before August 1st, you begin the challenge at August 1st.

I hope it is clearer now smile.gif

Also, updated to here.

Oh! alright, thanks for the clarification. smile.gif

Add me to the list, please!

Add me to the list please! I totally forgot this last year.

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Before I Wake

Author: Rachel Vincent

Summary: Kaylee Cavanaugh has been dead for less than a month, and she is getting used to faking life, while earning her keep in the living world. Her first job, retrieving a stolen soul, puts her up against an old foe. A plan is unfolding in the underworld and it takes everything she has to keep her living friends from dieing all around her.

Rating: 5/5

Review: I picked up the first book in the series merely because it was free. However, Rachel Vincent just keeps getting better and better as the series progresses. Before I Wake, and the book before it, If I Die, are just excellent. I don't get very emotional often, but the end of this book made me cry. It's exciting and completely unexpected. I totally can't wait for the last book in this series. I never expected to get into a series full of teenage drama, but she does it very well. Also, Kaylee and Tod! *squeals like a fangirl* Finally! tongue.gif

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 194

Book Title: A Series Of Unfortunate Events, Book The Fourth The Miserable Mill

Author: Lemony Snicket

Summary: Inside this book, three orphans whom are named Sunny, Voilet, and Klaus are being chased down by Count Olaf. They move to a mill, where many unfortunate events happen involving hypnotism and the mill's machines.

Number Of Pages: 367

Book Title: The Left Hand of God

Author: Paul Hoffman

Summary: In the Sanctuary of the Redeemers Thomas Cale finds himself at the wrong place in the wrong time. After the horrendous things he witnesses and does he must escape the monastery along with his two friends and a girl he has just rescued. The course of events will lead them to the big city, where Cale will have to serve, fight and maybe - find his true love in the daughter of the ruler of the city.

Review: Actually, the review may sound exciting but the book isn't that much interesting.

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Murder Imperial

Author: Paul Doherty

Summary: Claudia is a spy in Ancient Rome at the time of Constantine. She is tasked with finding out who killed three courtesans who belonged to a group Constantine likes.

Number Of Pages: 260

Book Title: Murder at the War (in paperback as Knight Fall)

Author: Mary Monica Pulver

Summary: Every year, members of the Society for Creative Anachronism flock to a campground in western Pennsylvania for their biggest annual event, the Pennsic War. As the battle weapons are made of rattan, many liken the War to Valhalla... fight all day, die several times, and still be in great shape for the feast that evening. Police detective Peter Brichter and his wife Kori, known in the SCA as Lord Stefan and Lady Katherine, are attending for the first time. In the course of making new friends and greeting old ones, the couple have a clash with Thorstane Shieldbreaker, a known troublemaker. When Katherine, acting as a water-bearer during the Woods Battle, finds a fatally stabbed Thorstane, reality quickly pierces the dream when the local police learn of her run-in with the victim and latch onto her as chief suspect. Their investigation is hampered by their lack of knowledge of the Society and how it operates. Stefan launches his own quiet investigation, hoping to clear his wife and find the real murderer.

Rating: (optional) 3-1/2 of 5

Review: (optional) It's a fun look at the SCA of approximately the mid-1980s, and anyone who's ever experienced an SCA event will get a smile. It's also the author's first book, so it's not perfection. But quite enjoyable all the same.

Book Number:2

Number Of Pages:.232

Book Title:A Wrinkle in Time( one of the five Time Quintet series)

Author:Madeleine L'engle

Summary: It is about three children names Meg, Charles and Calvin. When one day during a hurricane a Strange woman named miss. Whatsit. Comes to Meg and Charles's home. Soon the meet Miss. Which and Who, together they go and a dangerous journey to save Meg and Charles's father.

Rating:5/5

Number Of Pages: 437

Book Title: Stranger in a Strange Place

Author: Robert A. Heinlein

Summary:

In a futuristic world (for a 1961 book) a spaceship crashes with two people on mars. Their first thought is that no one survived the crash. At second glance they realized that a baby survived on mars, raised by the indigenous population. When taken back to earth, he has to learn how to be one of the human race again. On the way, his mars way of life will rub off on many.

Rating: 4.9/5

Review:

It was brilliant, it argued about many things like religion and the way the human culture works, and offered alternative views and ways of living, it was quite good. smile.gif

Number Of Pages: 187

Book Title: El Ordenador Asesino (translation: The Killing Computer)

Author: Christian Grenier

Summary: Several people have been found dead in front of their computers. All were using a very new supercomputer and the same programme.

Just finished another book. (I am on a rool)

Book number:3

Number of pages:233

Book title: Mrs. Frisby and the rates of NIMH

Summery: Mrs.Frisby is a feild mouse who livew in her winter home for the winter. One day one of her children name Timothy gets sick so she goes to the most trusted mouse Mr. Ages. He helps her but moving day is drawing near. If they move Timothy will most likely die. But if they stay the all will die. When it looks bleak her good friend Jermey takes her to an old owl. The only good advise it can give to her is go to the rats. When she does will she find a way to save her family and maybe a reason why her late husband didn't come home on day

Rating: 5/5

Review: It is a good book for children even though i still love it. You will fall in love with her adventure

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: The Last Guardian

Author: Eoin Colfer

Summary: Young criminal mastermind Artemis Fowl is once again up against his worst enemy, the evil pixie Opal Koboi. The fate of every human is in the hands of him and his elven friend Holly Short. He must make the ultimate sacrifice to stop Opal for good.

Rating: ...

Review: I still can't decide if I love it or hate it. This is a drastic improvement on The Atlantis Complex, which pretty much sucked tongue.gif The series once again has the author's excellent sarcasm and wit that made me love the series to begin with. But I hated the very end of the book. I won't get into it, major plot spoiler, but shouldn't dead things stay dead?

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Death on the Nile

Author: Agatha Christie

Summary: Hercule Poirot is in Egypt. Here, as he and several others travels on the Nile, several murders are committed. Poirot must attempt to sort out the vital facts, to discover how it all happened.

Number Of Pages: 446

Book Title: The Godfather

Author: Mario Puzo

Summary: The original Mafia novel, this follows the fortunes of the Corleone family in New York during the 1940s and 50s in their quest for power in the criminal underworld.

Rating: (optional) 5 of 5

Yay, a new book challenge! Count me in! biggrin.gif Maybe this year I'll hit 200.

Sign me up too! I had so much fun last year, this really inspired me to read more! Hope this year to past 100 smile.gif