pinkgothic

Eggs you abandoned yourself

So, earlier today I was rather confused that I wasn't able to pick up eggs from the AP that were clearly, unmistakably there.

Turns out you can't pick up dragons you yourself abandoned, even if you got them off the abandoned page (so the timer stays the same) and didn't perform any actions on them (so you're not changing the BSA state of the dragon). While it (at least in regards to AP-gotten eggs, I have no experience trying to pick up bred/CB ones) still feels like a recent change to me, it's much easier to assume my memory is playing tricks on me, so I'm going to deal with this as something that's always been in place and I just never stumbled across it before.

Now, the error message is a bit cryptic -

Try as you might, you cannot seem to find the egg you are looking for in the abandoned area.

It's definitely there - it's confusing that it'd tell you it isn't. So I'm thinking maybe we could tweak it in one of two ways:

1. Change the error message

Maybe something like "You only just abandoned this egg, so you decide you don't want it back after all."?

2. Change the AP view

Maybe the AP could display eggs that you're not eligible to pick up because you yourself tossed them in a different way. That way you stop clicking the egg(s) repeatedly that you were poking at out of curiosity (e.g. if you're hunting for a certain breed). A 50% transparency would probably do the trick, coupled with that the link to pick it up just isn't there (it's not going to work for you, anyway!), and a hover text 'abandoned by you', or something to that effect.

This would be my preferred solution, providing the egg link really does go away. smile.gif

3. Both of the above?

That would be my preferred solution if the egg remains clickable. <3

I'd be recommending not showing the egg(s) in the AP at all, but that might confuse people with the cave blocking system ("But there are clearly only so many eggs in the AP, why is the cave still blocked?!")

Opinions?

(Edit: I changed the thread title to be more informative.)

Edited by pinkgothic

I think this would be useful, at the very least the text change, though I like number 2 better.

I agree with you, this could be very useful. I like the second option better, but even if the first one was implemented, it would be very useful.

I support either one, I prefer number two but I wouldn't complain if the text was at least changed.

I really like the text change idea. Not sure how easy the number 2 idea would be to code. But it would be nice to have both.

Not sure how easy the number 2 idea would be to code.

The HTML change itself should be easy (opacity can be done with CSS; old browsers can't deal with opacity, but 99% should be able to, these days - and the 1% would still have the lack-of-link and hovertext to help them), but it depends on where the information who last abandoned it is stored.

If it's in a separate database table to the table with eggs, that'd require a JOIN, which I imagine a high traffic site like this doesn't actually want to do more than absolutely necessary; but it could also be stored somewhere like the site's equivalent of the action log, which would be even more tedious to do for all eggs in the AP. In every case (that I can think of as sane, mind you - I'm not privy to the way DC is coded), it should be easy to code, but there can definitely be performance reasons not to want to make the change.

Text change wouldbe nice

Plus it should be still klick-able. because sometimes you AP and ppl in chat still wantit... So you can get it back.

Casting my vote for number 1, although there was a time I APed an egg then wanted it back. Still, I'd like the "Try as you might, you cannot seem to find the egg you are looking for in the abandoned area." to be changed. I just saw it, so I have already found it.

This has never bothered me. Perhaps just a line of text somewhere on the help page about abandoning that you can't pick up eggs you've abandoned?

I don't really mind the text change, but I don't think it's really necessary, either. =p I also find the second option to be a lot of work for something that's not really a big deal. I also think that, especially, new users (and even some older users) might find that more confusing than helpful.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would love it if eggs we abandoned never appeared or at the very least was marked so you'd know you abandoned them in the past, even if they were picked up and dropped by someone else. I occasionally troll the AP for CB eggs and hate the possibility of occasionally picking up the same bred egg twice.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I would love it if eggs we abandoned never appeared

definitely not for this, because sometimes i decide that i do want an egg that i abandoned back

The "mark so we know we've abandoned it" is my favorite, currently. One-color egg walls need this.

I would love it if eggs we abandoned never appeared or at the very least was marked so you'd know you abandoned them in the past, even if they were picked up and dropped by someone else. I occasionally troll the AP for CB eggs and hate the possibility of occasionally picking up the same bred egg twice.

A mark would be VERY useful!

It would be nice if the egg was there but marked with your fingerprints. If you still click it, you would get the "You decide you don't need this egg afterall" message. So... both. And clickable.

I like the idea!

(Never being able to take the egg is a little harsh for me.)

I want 1 and 2, but preferably you can pick them up again with a mark on the ones you've picked up! I hate that you can't.

but preferably you can pick them up again with a mark on the ones you've picked up! I hate that you can't.

The functionality is apparently there to prevent people from abandoning eggs to get extra time for it, and to prevent an easy way to lose the effect of BSAs? I don't really see a problem with latter, admittedly, and I'd prefer if the counter-measure for former was 'then you don't get the AP time bonus as the original abandoning party' (/ 'the AP time bonus is subtracted again when the original abandoner picks up the egg'), but that's admittedly a separate suggestion.

Want to start a thread on it? biggrin.gif

I agree with this also. I like to hunt in the AP for egg to swap with my own I leave there, so its annoying when I toss a horse egg into the ap, and then find out there are other horse eggs I have to look through, and then find mine that I cant pick up, and wonder why I can't pick it up since the eggs get shuffled around with every refresh.

I think what is meant is that eggs you cannot pick up would not appear. As once someone ELSE has dropped them, they are available again. But I can't get excited about the message; when has it actually made a huge difference what it says ?

Number 2. I always pick those eggs up because I auto-snag terras.

There were people who were commenting on the Royal Blue BSA they'd prefer this as an action. Since I found this in a search, thought I might bring it up again.

Well, since this is brought up...

I prefer the BSA over having it automatiaclly applied. This isn't an essential (suggested) feature where your DC experience would actually suck without it (like mass use of actions/BSA), but a minor life-enhancer potentially making your experience on DC a bit better than it currently is, which I think is where BSAs should come in.

Edited by CNR4806

I'm not for this. I like the idea of getting back dragons I throw back in the AP. If I throw it back and get it again my fiancee calls it egg Karma, but sometimes I accidentally auto abandon or make a mistake when breeding. what I personally wanna see isn't this but something to warn someone. " You are egglocked, breeding will auto-abandon this egg do you want to continue" Would be great to see.

I do kind of like the idea of a different message. I always wonder if it was something I'd already grabbed or a new something I'd missed.

I like the idea of some kind of change as it would help take away those little moments of confusion (and currently it can be especially confusing if you are a new player who doesn't already know how this works).