Hawktalon

Best Story in a Video Game

Prince of Persia ~ Warrior Within ♥

So many plot twists, so many time travels, such amazingly awesome designed places, glorious soundtracks and different endings to the story gameplay wink.gif

And the different combos of battle moves you can do are so satisfying! ☻

Shadow of the Colossus. Though it doesn't seem to have a solid plot, that's what I love about the story, you are able to interpret the story on your own. By being ambiguous it allows you to piece it together and leave things up to interpretation, and that's why I love it so much.

Persona 3!

-Dem plot twists

-Dem characters

-Dat character development

-DAT ENNDIIIING

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the dragon. My favourite forever. wub.gif

HIGH FIVE YES I REALLY MISS THAT GAME! Wish I still had a PS2 to play it... mellow.gif

Okami, definitely. An older game, yet the story and gameplay is powerful. It's fun to play even though it gets somewhat repetitive, but the storyline makes up for it all.

Transistor had a great story! I loved it to the end happy.gif

I am also a big fan of Dragon Age (only played the first one, but that is deffinetly something I really want to change!) and the Mass Effect-series.

So many feels T^T

The "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky" are also really good! Such plot-twist! :3

Okami

Blood Will Tell or Dororo (Name depends on where you live)

Neir

Lost Odyssey

Shadow of the Colossus

Ico

Grandia 1

Digimon World 2003 or Digimon World 3 (Name depends on where you live)

Final Fantasy X (the first FF I played)

the Shadow Hearts Games

any of the Shin Megami Tensei games

and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Edited by InugamiZERO

For those of us who played Playstation 2 in our youth, Dark Cloud 2 had an awesome story and was an exceptional game in its own right.

As a side note, I approve of those who put forward the Kingdom Hearts series; most games can't beat the story or the cutscenes.

The best one I have seen is probably Ōkami.

I think it is the first game to make me cry.

On the ending I cried TOO MUCH.

Wow. You guys pretty much covered all the stuff on my list:

EarthBound and MOTHER 3 (the latter of which I kinda prefer)

The World Ends With You

Professor Layton series (my personal favorites are the third and sixth :3 )

Portal 2 (Never played, but watched a playthrough of it. Haven't seen the first one though.)

Ib

To The Moon

Ōkamiden (still haven't finished Ōkami. I know, I played them out of order.)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series

There's other stuff, but those are the ones I've got at the moment.

I like sad games, don't I...

Ōkami.

I cried my eyes out on the last scene:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

(highlight it to reveal it)

I loved how it looked like you won, but then Yami takes your powers.

And then the music, which makes me cry a lot.

In my opinion, this game is awesome.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was awesome, but I have to give the props to Dark Cloud 2 on this one.

... What do you mean you've never heard of it? Just go play it, or maybe look it up if you're allergic to good video games.

Prof. Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright was more of a ****ing mindblowing twist than a really good story, but if you like medieval puzzle games I'd recommend

Old school adventure click and point games have some fantastic stories, I'll never forget games like Grim Fandango, Broken Sword and Monkey Island series, Syberia or the epic The Longest Journey. For the more action oriented players, Mass Effect Trilogy also has a great story (so many heartbreaking moments in that one). Final Fantasy games always had entertaining stories as well.

Edited by stagazer_7

I don't develop favorites over night, nor do I become obsessed. In fact, I haven't been obsessed with anything since the early pokemon days. But the best story by far that I've ever seen is Final Fantasy Seven. Not just the original game, but the entire Seventh series as a whole. The characters, the plot, everything tied in so well even though they made the games with the story out of order. Crisis Core was the start of the story, yet it was the third game released in the series...I think. The storyline goes:

Before Crisis (which is technically during Crisis Core and not before it)

Crisis Core

Final Fantasy Seven

FF7: Advent Children Complete (movie)

and then Dirge of Cerberus.

They need to continue where they left off at the end of that one. Total cliffhanger.

The other video game that has an awesome storyline is the Kingdom Hearts series. I especially love the second game and Birth By Sleep, but then Dream Drop Distance is awesome pretty awesome. ...yeah, I'll just go with Kingdom Hearts as a whole and leave it at that. xd.png

Am I the only one who got really into (and is still into) the Halo story? It goes so in depth and is still continuing, kind of like Star Wars, but more epic, especially with the way the story of Halo 5 is being hyped.

I also like the story of the Elder Scrolls games (call me a sucker for expansive universes.)

Another good story was Corpse Party (really gory, as the name suggests, but an interesting story nonetheless.)

Fallout series

Skyrim

Zelda series

God of war series

Devil may cry

Assassins creed

Those are a few

the divinity series, I have only played divinity II ego draconis and I loved it, besides from no mobs respawning and no way to complete some quests (let me get up to that ship on the island) it has good lore.

do I dare say it...... I think I will.... DARK SOULS!!!!!, dark souls even though you feel like destroying your platform you are playing it is very good and rich with lore, all though it is very dark.

......um..... Destiny, now hear me out, destiny might not have that much to do till its new expac (assuming you do not have the other 2 dlc..... damn activision xd.png) if you take the time and read the grimoires and then replay the game, you get a certain feeling of so much story.

World of Warcraft...... SOOOOO MUCH LORE!!!!

The Dragon age series.... so much LORE!!!

The Elder Scrolls series..... nough said xd.png.

So, I just finished SOMA.

I'm still digesting it. I'm still digesting it even though I am completely immersed in all the tropes used in the game. I have literally spent my last couple of creative years playing around with exactly all of these tropes, and the game surprised me exactly not a single time. Well, maybe twice on minor accounts.

Either way. None of this matters.

I was completely stunned by the story-telling in SOMA. I was expecting enough plot to fill a short-story and Frictional Games delivered enough plot to fill a novel and then some. I cried despite knowing what was going to happen (without having read any spoilers), because the way the ultimate end of the game was delivered completely destroyed my soul.

The most remarkable aspect of the plot is that it feels so natural that I don't even have a particular urge to spoil it for anyone, but the biggest urge to get everyone to play it and experience the story themselves. There was never any sudden revelation that I didn't see coming, but the whole thing was so beautifully executed and I am glad that I was guessing each step of the way, even if I was wrong only twice out of countless assumptions.

The whole thing flows so naturally. The characters are pleasantly neutral - I never had an urge to yell at anyone for their stupidity, but they were not trying to be heroes. They didn't offer absolute moral truths. They simply took the facts and dealt with them as pragmatically as circumstances allowed.

Hnnnghhh. user posted image

...also, SOMA is technically survival horror, but I think it makes more sense to file it away as a horror adventure. It's not as scary as the genre might imply (although I wouldn't know, this was my first dabbling in the genre), but it is intensely atmospheric. It's more creepy than scary, which I personally consider a massive benefit.

A++, will recommend until I die.

I just started Undertale and it seems pretty cool so far.

If you like rpg games, Hakuouki was fantastic. The plot killed me. My favs all died.

I think the storyline on Final Fantasy 7 was amazing! It really gripped me as a teenager. The music was awesome too! smile.gif

Oh man, Undertale has one of the best storylines in any game I've played in a long time. The characters are surprisingly well-developed and there's clearly a lot of thought put into every aspect of the game!

Other than that, Portal 2 is an AWESOME game for story elements even though I haven't finished it yet ^^;