Hawktalon

Best Story in a Video Game

Mass Effect series

Dragon Age series

Divinity II

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Elder Scrolls series

Guild Wars series

All of these are great RPGs with a dynamic story full of lore and character development.

Quoted for truth, although I haven't played Divinity II.

Just started The Last of Us, damn the story is amazing. Also a fan of the stories in the Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Dead Space and Halo series. smile.gif

I really enjoyed all the campaign and story from the Halo Franchise, and was surprised no one mentioned that... and don't forget Half Life 2 or BioShock!

Kid Icarus: Uprising. I know the story is unite simple, and a little (by "a little" I mean more than your brain can comprehend) wacky, the characters are AMAZING. If you don't have it, and are looking for a game, I highly recommend this.

Of all the games I've played, probably Okami. I think it's the deepest story-wise game that I've actually played and it's one of my favorites, at least.

Edited by Switch

Alright, I'm going to rapid fire a list here.

The Walking Dead: Video Game

The Last of Us

To the Moon

Phoenix Wright series

Professor Layton series (GAHDANGIT. THE THIRD ONE MADE ME CRY.)

Mother Series

Journey (Literally using no words to tell a story. GENIUS!)

Heavy Rain (I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned.)

Assassin's Creed

Okami

Super Paper Mario

And...that's all I can think of for right now. xd.png

Super Mario Galaxy.

The ending was just so good, I was almost disappointed it was a Mario game, because in all a random guy in red doesn't appeal to me so much.

I also liked the MOTHER series (especially 3, because the others were just your basic happily ever after)

Metroid isn't necessarily touching, but is is a good story. Except M *shudders*

Megaman Zero. It was a good series because it finished strong, solid, and overall one of the best Megaman games out there IMO.

Pokemon. All of them good, but gens four and five really got me.

And PMD2, but come on, do I really need to point it out?

Mass Effect series

Dragon Age series

Divinity II

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Elder Scrolls series

Guild Wars series

All of these are great RPGs with a dynamic story full of lore and character development.

This is basically a list of all my favourite games and I, too, love games that have a good and involved story-line biggrin.gif

Another couple of games I would suggest would be the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II. They're older but I love the twists and the way the story changes depending on the choices you make. To me, a game with replay value is ten times better than one I can only enjoy once.

The Last of Us is my new favorite video game plot. Oh my gosh. All the feels.

Yup. Yup.

I'm also going to throw Final Fantasy XIII into the pot here. I know a lot of people give it a lot of stick for being linear and say the characters are unbelieveable/boring, but I think it all works quite well with the plot. The story its self and the mythology of the world it is set in is wonderfully told.

Dishonored has a really good story, and is an amazing game. It's a permanent resident of my top 10 favorites.

I really liked the story of the Penumbra series. Well, except Requiem, because the ending was kind of confusing. Nevertheless, Penumbra is the best game that I've ever played. smile.gif

There are the ones a lot of people are saying like Professor Layton, Okami and TWEWY (and I completely agree with those people), but there are some others that I'm surprised no-ones mentioned like Solatorobo and Dangan Ronpa (like Phoenix Wright but WEIRD blink.gif ). If someone has actually mentioned these and I missed your comment, sorry.

Edited by Milkyway

For me: Okami, The World Ends With You, and Kingdom Hearts.

Where do I even begin!

I'll start with my favorite game of all time ever. Everything about Skies of Arcadia is amazing and the story is no exception. The characters are colorful and diverse and very likable, even the villains. The story is told in such a way that it makes you want to live in the world it's set in and experience the things that the characters are experiencing, even in times of danger. It has some very uplifting moments and some heartwrenching moments as well, and honestly I cry every time the credits roll because I'm happy that I finished but I'm sad that it had to end.

Also, Chrono Trigger. I know others have this on their lists too, but that's because it is fantastic and deserves unending praise. Games, no matter how enjoyable they may be, rarely cause me to stare at the events on the screen with my mouth hanging open in disbelief. This game managed that.

Another game that everyone else loves: Tales of Symphonia. Honestly, I'm sure I don't like it as much as the rest of the world does, but it does have a lot of good points. The characters are complex and enjoyable, and that's only made better by the fact that the voice acting (especially Lloyd) is EXPERTLY done. Tales of Vesperia, on the other hand... am I really the only one who thought it was a huge disappointment?

I'm a big fan of the Sonic series, and I think the one with the best storyline has got to be Sonic Adventure. Awesome music, a colorful world, sweet graphics (I know it's old now, but I still find it beautiful) and fun characters all help out, but really the story is the best part. Even though they often act separately from one another, the actions of all the playable characters entwine in such an artful way to contribute to the final ending - everyone has an important part to play (yeah, even Big.) The music has a way of playing perfectly along with the cutscenes to maximize emotional impact, the game introduces some new characters that turned out to be some of my favorites in the series (Tikal, E-102 Gamma, and Chaos) and this is where you get to see Amy when her life didn't revolve around following Sonic everywhere.

I love the Bioshock series as well, especially the way that its story is told. Be sure to pick up those audio diaries or you won't get the whole story, seeing as how there's almost no one left to tell it. It really feels post-apocalyptic, especially the ones set in Rapture. And the ending to Bioshock Infinite? Blew my brains out the window.

Annnnd... Oh dear, I know this is where you'll all stop taking me seriously, but... Sonic 06. HEAR ME OUT! Yes, it had its flaws. It tended to jump around a bit, making it a bit hard to follow along, it was strewn with pointless and annoying missions, and there was that whole Elise and Sonic thing... ugh. But I've said it before and I'll say it again that the good points far outweigh the bad. This is the first game where I actually enjoyed Shadow. Usually I don't like him very much at all, but I thought he was really cool here. On top of that, I enjoyed Rouge and Omega as well - two other characters I never liked before - and I liked how the three of them interacted and worked together. Silver gets a lot of hate but I actually thought he was a rather enjoyable character and he and Blaze fit well into the whole story. Sadly, Sonic's storyline was actually the worst of the three, but it wan't because of him, it was because of Elise, who is probably the worst character I've ever come across in any game. The villain, too, actually gave the the chills the first time I saw him, and again later on. And I thought the ending to the game was actually rather beautiful - as was the beginning, where you get to see Sonic live up to his namesake: the blue blur.

Honorable mentions!

Earthbound!

Brutal Legend!

Pokemon G/S/C!

Essays about video games are fun!!

If you like strategy games, Banner Saga is really good. You can get it on Steam. It is an interesting following of character storylines along with the overarching story.

I 100% agree with those who have suggested Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I ADORE these games more than any other I've ever played. The gameplay is wonderful, the music (especially Chrono Cross) is amazing, the characters really draw you in, and the story is pure perfection. Play Chrono Trigger first, though, if you have not. Chrono Cross references it a lot. Chrono Cross is a very different gameplay from Chrono Trigger (which is why many fans of CT didn't like it as well), but it is very worth it for the continued story, and the gameplay is good in its own right. You just have to know coming in that it is a different style RPG.

For a really unique and off-the-wall-but great storyline, Parasite Eve was really awesome.

Cliche as it might be to delve into the realm of Final Fantasy, I adored FF9's story and the story of some of the earlier ones like 6. I wasn't as big a fan of the gameplay, but I did really enjoy FF8's story.

The Last of Us is a great survival-themed game. The storyline is fantastic. It really makes you question the whole "hero" thing and your own inner morality. It's not quite like anything I've ever played, but it's amazing.

Edited by harlequinraven

I like the Diablo series....I beat Diablo3 back in November on my birthday....LOL. I also like Dragon Age: Origins and haven't played the others yet. And the Guild Wars series, mostly Nightfall and Eye of the North.

I love the storyline in Assassin's Creed. I wanted to play it so much because I'd watched my brother and my friends play it and when I watched the storyline was so interesting!

But recently I started playing it(I got it for Christmas) and I found that for me it was a lot harder to enjoy the story line while I was the one playing.

The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the dragon. My favourite forever. wub.gif

Oh my god yes this.

And also pokemon mystery dungeon sky. That game was amazing. biggrin.gif