pinkieseb

End Of The World/Solar System/Universe!?!?

I'd guess for end of the world, giant volcanoes/earthquakes/other such disasters happen, causing a massive chain reaction that kills the majority of life. Possibly by Yellowstone's volcano.

The Yellowstone supervolcano is not projected to erupt in the near future. Its magma chamber is filling too slowly, I think.

I'd be more worried about climate change causing the end of the world as we know it, because humans (and most creatures, except for the extreme thermophiles and such) do have a temperature threshold above which survival is unlikely. (Even now, what my state would call a normal summer is a complaint-inducing heatwave in the rest of the country; then again, I also have an abnormally high hot-temperature tolerance....)

Venice is already floating in some areas. and London is as likely to go under as Denver is, though for different reasons

The last thing I read about Venice was that it was sinking a little bit every year. So it's probably fated to eventually go under whether sea levels rise or not. (Although I don;t remember when I read that, so it may be outdated.)

not to mention how little drinking water there will be since some of the resivars might be threatened if not by the sea levels than by frack mining.

We have the technology to desalinate seawater. It's just not widely used because it's expensive.

And I'd be more worried about what coal and uranium mining (or anything that practices strip mining our mountaintop removal) will do to water sources than what hydraulic fracturing will do (isn't that mostly used for oil drilling anyway? and I don't think it's necessarily widely used, is it?).

OR, The population will get too big, too many trees will be cut down, and we will all die in our own polution

This is already happening to an extent. There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet, and while one could look at a map and look at all the unpopulated areas, a lot of that unpopulated land is either protected for good reasons or it's either unarable or inhospitable to human life (see: Siberia). Rainforests provide large amounts of oxygen into the atmosphere and also take carbon dioxide out of the air (namely the Amazon) but these are constantly under thread - again, namely the Amazon.

If you really think about it, our own pollution could kill us, just by heating the atmosphere to a temperature incompatible with human life.

I think the world will end in around 2100 or so during a World-Wide Nuclear War.....

Considering the volatility of the world right now, I don't think nuclear war is an unlikely prospect.

SBURB will be released and someone will screw up their session so unimaginably badly that it ends the universe. There's my theory.

I think that before we suffocate ourselves in pollution we will build powerful ships and fly out of the solar system, and we may even survive up to

The Big Crunch!

2012 being the end of the world is mis interprentation of the mayan calender being the end of the 12th rotation

even though it says the world will end on the 20th rotation...

must have run out of space on the rock...

The end of the word as we know it (AKA: TEOTWAWKI) will come in the form of socioeconomic collapse. Think post-Katrina New Orleans on a worldwide scale. Riots in the streets, looting, government firearm seizure, etc. People will hole up in their houses and try to wait it out, but it won't resolve itself like they hope it will. Their food supplies will either run out or be looted, and most people will either be shot in the course of a looting or starve to death with no means to take care of themselves. The only ones who will come close to survival will be the so called "preppers," those who have taken preparation for post-apocalyptic scenarios seriously, and who have extensive food stores, means to defend themselves and their families, and medical training. Eventually they'll die too. The end.

Someday the sun has to die. All stars do.

About the universe collapsing: Well, I've only ever heard that theory twice. Once in this thread (first post) and once in Star Trek. But I guess it could happen.... unsure.gif

Edited by sparkle10184

I'm not at all worried about the end of the world/Solar System/ Universe.

1: We're all going to die someday anyway, so why should we care.

2: The Mayan calendar doesn't count leap years, and 2012 is a leap year.

So, yea. I'm not worried, and I don't see how other people should be worried. if an animal is going to die despite people saying they will attempt to save it, we all say "Just let nature take its' course", right?

Well, if the world is going to end?

"Just let nature take its' course".

That, is the best end of everything theory ever!!!!

Im just hoping the Darleks dont build a reality bomb, if you've seen DoctorWho, you'll know teh fear!

Our world will be destroyed in a masive war, but it will not be becouse of oil or money, but something most of us curently take for granted, something so simple as a glass of cold unpoluted water.

When our sun will explode no human will be left to witness it becouse of the war and its consequences for water.

And as for universe, no one can say what will hapen when it will reach its maximum point.

2: The Mayan calendar doesn't count leap years, and 2012 is a leap year.

From my understanding, the Mayan calendar doesn't HAVE to take leap years into account because it's actually accurate, unlike our calendar which is slightly off, making us have to add in that little extra day to stay accurate.

Everything ends eventually. All stars eventually die out, but they're replaced by new stars. Who knows. Maybe the sun will be replaced once it dies. As for the universe, how do we not know that planets of different systems aren't just drifting around, being kept together by gravitational pull and are just sliding out of the universe that we know?

And as for the world ending in 2012: I don't believe it. I never have. First they were claiming the Mayans had predicted the end of the world. Then, about a few months ago on Yahoo, they had a thing saying that they misread it. It wasn't the end of the world, but the start of a new one.

It would be awesome if there was a zombie apocalypse.

But sadly, the world will live for the time being.

In a billion trillion million holy gazillion I can't count this far amount of years the universe will have died by black holes.

OR somehow energy gets recycled and new suns - planets and stuff get formed and the cycle of life never ends!

The world will end in one way or another. We will never know exactly how untill its almost over.

As with the planet itself getting destroyed, it'll die with the solar system, when the sun expands.

As of the universe... either it will keep expanding forever and everything will turn into radiation, or it'll be the "Big Crunch".

Maybe... maybe an alien race will pop up and lazer the earth to peices!

(jk)

Edited by creepado

End of the world: Are the Mayans correct? Hopefully not!
Mayans? Who're they? *kidding* Seriously, I highly doubt it. I've seen such a hype around the year 2000, and nothing happened then. I'm sure we're going to see nothin happening this year, either.

End of the Solar System: Sun expanding then going boom?
Close, but not quite. The sun is expanding (slowly), and in a little less than a billion years, the temperature on Earth will be too high for life to exist comfortably here, with an average global temperature of more than 30° C. In about two billion years, the average temperature on Earth will reach 100° C, which means that all the oceans will have dried up since water boils at that temperature. (This has nothing to do with man-made global warming, mind you, it's just because the sun grows and gets brighter.)

Although that's not quite the end of the solar system, it will be the end of the human habitation in the solar system: We can't live on any of the giant planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus or Neptune) due to the high gravity, Mercury and Venus are even closer to the sun than Earth, and Mars has too thin an atmosphere for us to live in. Of course, the biggest moons of the gas giants might be an alternative, but I have my doubts that that's a workable solution.

In around 4.5 billion years (or a little more, depending on your source), the sun will turn into a red giant star and swallow up everything in the inner solar system including Earth. After the red giant phase, the sun will throw off its outer layers, and only a white dwarf in the middle of a planetary nebula will remain of it - plus maybe some of the outer planets.

End of the Universe: Collapsing on itself?
A scenario that's still being discussed controversially. Maybe, maybe not. The other option, however, is rather bleak (in the very long run): With time, all stars will stop to shine, and the formation of new stars will cease eventually. (After all, sooner or later all the matter for star formation will be used up, and where should new matter come from?) The first stars we won't be able to find any more will be blue giant stars, as they only form when there's an abundance of fuel (meaning they're the first kind of star that won't come into existence any more), and their life span is the shortest of all stars. Then, the white and yellow dwarves (like our sun) will turn into red giants and - relatively shortly thereafter - into white dwarves that grow duller with time passing. Then, even the red dwarves will become fewer and fewer...

This is kind of depressing speculation, which is why I prefer the "collapse in on itself" theory, even though I have no idea if it's even feasible. (Because, well, if the universe collapses in on itself, sooner or later there will be another Big Bang, starting everything anew...)

But hey? The Adronoma Galaxy is meant to colide with the Milky Way in 2570.... Theres a 5% chance that the solar system survives the collision. The two Super Massive Blackholes (Real Names) Will eventually eat each other biggrin.gif

And then, our solar system will no longer have a galaxy...

If the 5% dosnt work, we get ripped to streds by the Super Massive Blackholes in the centres of the galxies.

Sorry, but most of what you're posting doesn't make sense. blink.gif Sure, Andromeda and the Milky Way are going to collide (in a couple of billion years, not 1500 something years), but they will form a new galaxy eventually, containing pretty much everything that's now in either of the two. For more information on that collision, just click this link and watch the video. Btw, who says that there's a 5% chance of our solar system surviving the collision? And who in his right mind decided that there's a 95% chance we'd get shredded by either of the supermassive black holes that are in the centers of both galaxies? In my opinion, this is totally bogus because they're, well, in the galactic centers, surrounded by an area rather densely populated by stars. However, our solar system is pretty much on the outskirts of the Milky Way and in no danger of getting eaten by it's own SMBH. The only thing that I can see happening is that our system gets flung out of the galaxy somewhere on the way, but that wouldn't affect the system too badly. Also, galactic collisions cause the star creation rate to skyrocket. (No pun intended.)

Well, if something doesn't destroy the world sooner than the black hole that has 5.7 billion times the mass of the sun will.
I find it more likely that the galaxy/solar system will be destroyed if the supermassive black hole at the galaxy's center becomes more active than it is already (according to this month's Scientific American article, our black hole is "moderately active").
Nah, it's too far away. That's the beautiful thing about gravity, it lessens in proportion to the square of the distance... Plus, what are a couple of more solar masses to a black hole that has already more than 4 million of them? However, we're roughly 28.000 lightyears away from it, that's (roughly) 2 x 10^17 km (200.000.000.000.000.000 km).

Edited by olympe

Galactic alignment in 2012 will happen, but no, nothing will go 'OMGWTFUUUU-*BOOM*'.

What kind of alignment are you talking about?

I'd hate that. :c

come on zombies, my katana is still sharp, and i need some practise with my longbow or i will get rusty.

Galactic alignment in 2012 will happen, but no, nothing will go 'OMGWTFUUUU-*BOOM*'.

We won't even be close to having a dangerous alignment. The closest to galactic alignment we will have is the annual alighnment of the Sun and the Earth with the centre of the galaxy. It happens every year. Sorry to whoever thought up that theory, but it ain't gonna happen! tongue.gif

Edited by rampaging wyvern